[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this was painfully

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

File: Flash_Vol_4_1.jpg (136KB, 826x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Flash_Vol_4_1.jpg
136KB, 826x1280px
Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that this was painfully mediocre to bad save for art?

Also a Flash comics discussion thread I guess
>>
>>87492720
You didn't need the "Dust to settle." Everyone said exactly what you're saying while it was still coming out.
>>
>>87492873
dunno, i started reading flash with this book and everyone was sucking manabooch dick big time back then.
but now i'm re-reading it, and it doesn't hold up anymore, especially after waid and johns
>>
File: Flash Cold 2.jpg (965KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Flash Cold 2.jpg
965KB, 1920x1080px
I was under the impression that Flash Rebirth isn't much better atm... but I'd love to be proven wrong since I haven't taken the time to look at it at all aside from #9
>>
>>87492720

The writing could have been better, but this book suffered from the same thing which all the other New 52 books, for the most part, suffered from.

Which is trying to reinvent the status quo, WHILE still using these characters and their villains and their story arcs. It's Bruce going through 4 Robins off page so Dick can have his own Nightwing book, Jason can be shoved back as an Anti-Hero and Tim can lead the Teen Titans while Demon Spawn is with Bruce. It hurts all of them because all the character beats, history and issues that made this situation palatable or worthwhile for some during Morrison's run are now simply being force fed a tepid reboot.

Ditto with Barry Allen Flash. All the writers could do is a few wrinkles: Iris is still around BUT Barry is not married to her, Wally is still around BUT he's some black kid.

The only people that managed to exceed these limitations were people who were really good writers to begin with AND had enough pull to push their vision past editorial, such as Morrison's Action run.

But mostly, the New 52, for long time readers, was a tepid, stale collection of warmed-over left overs that were never as tasty as the first time these recipes were prepared.
>>
>>87493714

The Flash - Rebirth 01 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (F) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www116.zippyshare.com/v/mhxceTM5/file.html

The Flash 001 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/cyE4RCr3/file.html

The Flash 002 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www31.zippyshare.com/v/QQkjG9wt/file.html

The Flash 003 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/AFaqxJQV/file.html

The Flash 004 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www24.zippyshare.com/v/DF750dau/file.html

The Flash 005 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www107.zippyshare.com/v/sjCiNdX9/file.html

The Flash 006 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/JSHlY2l5/file.html

The Flash 007 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www77.zippyshare.com/v/tBVyZ9F6/file.html

The Flash 008 (2016) (2 covers) (digital) (Minutemen-Slayer)
http://www104.zippyshare.com/v/1BqiG3sM/file.html
>>
>>87492873
Not really. People called Flash and Batwoman some of the better new 52 books when they're really mediocre writing with fantastic art.

Like Green Arrow right now.
>>
I hated that it turned Barry's mom into a cheater and Barry's father into an abusive violent jerk.
>>
>>87492720
yes. art was amazing, story was mediocre, Barry is sleep-inducing.
Wally > Barry
>>
>>87493956
I don't think you remember that correctly
>>
>>87493956
The first arc of Batwoman and the Wonder Woman arc were good imo. But the character work was the worst part of that run.
>>
It's worth it for the art, the writing is serviceable but not bad.

>>87493714

it's pretty good. Probably the best Flash since Johns Wally run desu. It's a little decompressed but I don't think it hurts it because of the biweekly nature. The first arc also is stupid "WHO IS THE EVIL SPEEDSTER" stuff so it's derivative. Williamson is finally giving Barry his own personality and stuff which is great. He has a really good handle on characters, hopefully the plotting will improve and improve.

>>87493813

>Wally is still around BUT he's some black kid.

that wasn't Manabooch

I do wonder if they would've had a different/better run without nu52 chains on.
>>
>>87493956
If you're talking about casuals sure but they think anything is good. Casuals loved the New 52 because it was the first comics they'd ever read and thought it was the epitome of DC.

Most anyone who read any Flash books before the New 52 thought the writing was boring and slow (one of the most common "haha get it" jokes was how ~ironic~ it was that The Flash was the slowest book alive) but the art was good enough to keep reading.
>>
>>87494120
>Probably the best Flash since Johns Wally run desu.

Daming with faint praise.
>>
>>87494120

>Manabooch

I know Wally wasn't them. I could have mentioned how they changed the Rouges (which personally I am down with) or how they changed some of the other B-Villains but I just used (Wally) that as an extreme example of the "New 52" chains put on any of the writers on all these runs.

Even Johns as an architect of some of this crap, I think Aquaman and the Other is a POS that hurt the main book/story arc/story line and it's clear it was an editorial mandate "Let's MILK this puppy" effort.
>>
>>87493852
Not the guy you replied to but thanks.
>>
>>87495023

Oh I know!
>>
>>87492720
Barry's a mediocre character, so he gets mediocre runs. Simple as that.
>>
>>87494120
>Probably the best Flash since Johns Wally run desu

Wow. That good huh? Barry deserves have a run on that level, but he's had the shittiest luck since coming back.

>>87495023
What are Flash's benchmark runs? Johns and Waid? And then everything else just sort of gets faded into the aether.
>>
>>87493714
It really isn't.
>>
>>87495314

>What are Flash's benchmark runs? Johns and Waid? And

that's 163 issues and about a decade of comics to be fair. And I'd argue you could count the Baron and Messer-Loebs run as good too.

Barry's got nothing as of now.
>>
>>87495314
Waid, Morrison/Millar, Waid II, Johns are the highly regarded runs, which all came right in a row. A straight 10 years of non stop quality comics from #62-225.

WML is solid, which is 15-61, but isn't nearly as acclaimed because it came before all the redefining Waid stuff that people love about The Flash. But it does have some of the best one off Flash stories around like "Nobody Dies" or that time Wally crashed Captain Cold's pardoning party for giggles. It also introduces Linda who obviously is very important.

Basically I'd personally rate it like this. Waid's 1st run > Morrison/Millar > Johns > Waid 2nd run > WML > Johns' post rebirth Barry run.

Everything after that gets much worse, like the Baron and Manabooch stuff. Manabooch gets a nod above the rest of the dreck because of the sheer quality of the art. If you're cool with Silver/Bronze age storytelling then you might like some of the old stuff like The Death of Iris or whatever. All just seemed like over narrated, over dramatized shock value comics.
>>
>>87493714
Rebirth has some nice scenes but the first villain is a monumental letdown. Which is funny because everyone was hyped for the villain based on design and name, but everything that happened before the villain showed up was the best part of the book.

Combination of just being a mediocre retread character and having high expectations.
>>
>>87495640
Waid's second Flash run is straight up garbage. End yourself.
>>
>>87492720
>new villain that wasn't another evil speedster
>great reinvention of Golden Glider
>expanded supporting cast
Nah, it was great all around. Fuck this artists don't matter shit.
>>
>>87495704
tone down that edge, before ya cut yourself, m8.
>>
>>87495729

They made a new villain that was an evil speedster.

They TURNED GRODD into an evil speedster.

They're as bad as Venshitti when it comes to the evil speedster saturation. Only Venditti didn't even get a choice the second time.
>>
>>87495704
Chain Lightning and The Dark Flash Saga are both really good?

Are you talking about his THIRD stint with the twins? Because even he didn't like it because they shut down all of his shit.
>>
>>87492720
>Flash comic staring Barry since 2009
>good
>>
>>87495640
>that time Wally crashed Captain Cold's pardoning party for giggles

He didn't crash it, The Trickster invited him as a joke thinking he wouldn't come
>>
>>87496135
Yeah but Wally figured it was a ruse and decided it would be funny to show up at Cold's party.

His intention was to crash the party even if he was technically invited.
>>
>>87495729
What are you talking about? They made their own Reverse Flash, it sucked and the retcons to Barry's parents were crap
>great reinvention of Golden Glider
True, but they should've just made a new charter, she was too strong compared to the other Rogues and considering they made her leader it came off as some real GURLL POWAH FEMINISM YAY shit. Then again, they totally fucked up the Rogues.
>>expanded supporting cast
I mean... Iris spends half the run trapped in the Speed Force... they seriously did not do a good job with the supporting cast.
>>
>>87492873
It was pretty split back then. I saw more people saying it was great than mediocre, though.

A lot of people called me a faggot for saying it was mediocre
>>
>>87495277

Golden Age Barry was the first flash I read, well past the day those issues were released. I've only read the first two years (the archives) and random issues here and there, but I totally liked those. So disagree with you about his character. It's all about how the post SA people have written him.

NOW, that Barry isn't really the post Cereal King Barry from THAT Rebirth series or Flashpoint or New 52. I haven't read the current run but will likely do when they start with the trades.

I stopped reading New 52 with History Lessons because it was just annoying, but I enjoyed some of the Manabooch stuff, enough to enjoy the trades.
>>
>>87496542
There is no such thing as Golden Age Barry. I'm guessing you mean Silver Age Barry or Golden Age Jay Garrick.

Silver Age Barry is still a rather one note character. He was designed for children and wasn't really given much of a character beyond "cool science facts" and "is late because it's funny."
>>
>>87496495
Yes, the split was between people who had never read a Flash comic before and thought it was good, and people who had read Flash comics before and thought it was meh.

I made the New 52 fag discrepancy. I don't take advice on how a steak tastes from a 6 year old, so I don't really count New52fag opinions.
>>
>itt salty Wallyfags
>>
>>87496891
Pretty rich coming from some faggot who started with the new 52

You finished potty training yet?
>>
>>87496798
Silver Age Barry wasn't a very deep character like most characters at the time. By the Bronze Age he was more interesting, however.
>>
I liked it. Last decent arc during the new52 was Daniel West Reverse Flash.
>>
You know what I like about Flash, a great example of why time travel is fucking stupid and you shouldn't fuck around with it.
>>
>>87493852
How much money do you make from doing this in every goddamn thread
And would you be pissed if I started doing it too for lols

Please respond
>>
>>87497189
Never really pans out does it? I like him because he's an OP street level hero. And his Rogues could get so much more done yet they decide to be thieves with a code. When you're going against the Flash on a regular basis, you're doing something right
>>
File: whatamireading.jpg (29KB, 217x408px)
whatamireading.jpg
29KB, 217x408px
>>87497274
>>
>>87496923
>hah I'll show him by continuing to act like a whinny faggot
>>
>>87497350
Pot kettle
>>
>>87496923
>>87497350
Man, that's some bad blasted booty, you got there, Mr. Oldfag.
>>
Mob Rule was such a shitty character.
>>
>>87497521
Personally didn't have much of a problem with him but yeah he's like a less useful Multiplex
>>
>>87497280
Flash isn't street level reeeeeeeeeeeee
>>
>>87497472
I think you mixed up some posts there.

>>87497280
>street level hero

In what universe is Flash a street level hero? They've been time traveling since the 40s.

Street level doesn't mean "is sometimes on a street."
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.