[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The opening scene of Dr Strange was a brilliant example of "anti-exposition."

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 10

The opening scene of Dr Strange was a brilliant example of "anti-exposition."

The normal expodump has characters saying shit they already know for the audience to learn,but this scene was the reverse.

We see The Ancient One and Mads doing reality warping stuff in and out the mirror dimension but we don't know this a sign of Dark Magic until the end of the second act.

They even make sure to have TAO keep her hood up so we dont ser Dormammu's sign on her forhead.

Then in the training montage TAO shows Steve the mirror trap trick and in the second act battle it backfires while Mordo explains the Dark Dimension lets you warp Mirro space.

So then when we finally see TAO in her final battle, while its nothing we didnt see before, the context and the reveal to Mordo makes it all come together.

A twist where done of the core elememts actually comes from nowhere and flows organically from the plot.

Bravo.
>>
>>87492154
TAO was cooler than I thought she'd be.
>>
>>87492347
She was also pretty endearing. I felt bad for liking her so much because of the whole whitewashing thing.
>>
There were multiple times I thought TAO was super qt and i am very conflicted about it.

>>87492428

there was a good interview with the director where he was very upfront about "we were totally screwed with that no matter what"
>>
I watched Waterworld for the first time today.

>quick summary of where we're at at the beginning. ie : future, earth covered of water, people have adapted
>main character isn't a gish out of water (hehe) and already knows how shit works
>we discover absolutely everything there is to know about the world through character interactions and limited dialogue for what actually does need explaining

So what happened? Why don't big movies do that anymore? This is something that you still see in smaller movies today, but it's like big movies kind of dropped the ball. Last example of show don't tell i've seen recently and I can think of is Fury Road.

The disturbing thing is that audiences seem to prefer movies that expose everything instead of showing. Probably why I never got the popularity of some Nolan movies that talked way too much for me. His cinematography is great but the constant dialogues and dramatic pauses kind of took me out.
>>
>>87492449
No, I know the reasoning Derrickson gave for the casting, I just don't think it's a very good excuse.
Still, I did like the movie and I did like Ancient One, don't anyone go calling me a SJW.
>>
File: 1470376030485.png (2MB, 2181x1070px)
1470376030485.png
2MB, 2181x1070px
>>87492154
>>
>>87492154
>Steve
>>
>>87492488

no. i'm saying he was admitting that and regretful about it.

>>In the process, the director says, he learned a lot about the term ‘whitewashing’ from the irate Asian community that took to the internet to take him and Marvel to task. “At the time when casting was happening there was a lot of anger circulating about female representation, but the term ‘whitewashing’ wasn’t even a term that I knew in the way that it’s used now,” he explained. “I knew it in the classical sense of yellowface, of white actors playing Asian characters. So I wasn’t as sensitive to that issue—but I was aware that I was erasing a potential Asian role.”
>>“Diversity is the responsibility of directors, and I took that as seriously as I could,” he said. “Whitewashing, if you use the term the way it’s used now—it’s what I did with the role. But it also implies racial insensitivity and it implies racist motives and I don’t think I had either. I was really acting out of what I still feel is the best possible choice. But it’s like I chose the lesser evil—and just because you choose the lesser evil it doesn’t mean you’re not choosing an evil.”
>>To the vocal opponents upset over Swinton’s casting, Derrickson lends his support. “I don’t feel that they’re wrong,” he said, sympathetic. “I was very aware of the racial issues that I was dealing with. But I didn’t really understand the level of pain that’s out there, for people who grew up with movies like I did but didn’t see their own faces up there.”
>>“The angry voices and the loud voices that are out there I think are necessary,” said Derrickson, who’s looking at breakout $70 million opening weekend projections for Doctor Strange, which is already topping the overseas box office. “And if it pushes up against this film, I can’t say I don’t support it. Because how else is it going to change? This is just the way we’ve got to go to progress, and whatever price I have to pay for the decision I’ve made, I’m willing to pay.”
>>
>>87492588
Huh, I never saw that one. That's not so bad.
>>
>>87492476
Because audiences today need to be spoonfed every little detail. That's why Nolan is so popular, he's the king of exposition - every character explains in detail everything that's happening. It even snuck into MoS, probably because of Goyer.

I feel like that's one of the reason people hated BvS so much, not a whole lot was explained through dialogue, like the dreams/nightmares.
>>
>>87492428
how sjw of you, maybe stop worrying about moral policing content and start judging it by its own merits instead of what will make people around you think you are a good person
>>
>>87492588
bullocks, had he chosen an asian man with a long beard and he would be stereotyping the role.
>>
>>87492712
>I feel like that's one of the reason people hated BvS so much, not a whole lot was explained through dialogue, like the dreams/nightmares.
Yeah. I actually liked that some stuff wasn't explained. If you use your brain for half a second you can understand what's happening. It didn't make up for some of the stupid shit but it was quite nice to see.
>>
Just saw this today, anyone else let out an audible chuckle at the "don't text and drive" message at the end of the credits?
>>
>>87492761
>Marvel casts asian old man as stereotype Asian tibetan monk
>local sjw lights xhimself on fire to protest the racial insensitivy and lack of female protagonists on superhero movies for eight year olds
>>
>>87492821
Guilty as charged, your honor.
>>
>>87492821
Yeah, saw it too. I smiled.
>>
>>87492821
>>87492839
Same here. Me and some other guys in the theater.
>>
File: 1472942709246.jpg (12KB, 480x358px) Image search: [Google]
1472942709246.jpg
12KB, 480x358px
>>87492821
that was only in the american viewings, they didnt felt the need to do it on international screenings
>>
>>87492723
I'll remember that the next time we see a thread where you complain about an Asguardian being played by a Black person
>>
>>87492862
They did in the international as well. I'm in France
>>
>>87492862
Wrong. Germanon here. Saw it dubbed and in the original version and they both had it.
>>
>>87492154
She looks really stupid in that photo.

Tilda Swinton looks hella cute in this film.
>>
>>87492881
Joke's on you, im an arab man that loved Elba on his part.
If an actor is good on the part he is good on the part, Mordo was amazing in this movie, as was the TAO and your whining wont change that.
>>
>>87492887
Crazy, spanish version didnt have that. Which is odd because I was searching for it after hearing about it here.
>>
>>87492939
>as was the TAO and your whining wont change that.
I'm not sure you know how to read, because I admitted that I liked her in the movie and thought she was good from the start, in my very first post. I can like a character and still disapprove of the circumstances that led to their casting.
>>
File: thor-ragnarok.jpg (136KB, 1200x648px)
thor-ragnarok.jpg
136KB, 1200x648px
>>87492939
I think it's aimed at Valkyrie, not at Heimdall.

>>87492967
It's the last thing on screen before the post credits scene.
If you really didn't see it, then I guess go ahead, text and drive. Become El Doctor Extranjo.
>>
>>87492939
>Mordo was amazing in this movie
This. His face when he started going nuts as his worldview was being shatered...damn.
When he attacks that chinese dude in the post credits scene, you can tell he's gone crazy.
>>
>>87492154
Holy crap, I didn't even think of this. That is an amazing point!
>>
>>87493023
>Chinese
Pangborn looked Chinese to you?
>>
>>87492821

Oh, I didn't notice that.
>>
/co/! I'd like to make a bargin
>>
>>87493063
I sort of assumed he was from the name. Maybe he was tibetan or something, I don't know.
>>
>>87492996
> I can like a character and still disapprove of the circumstances that led to their casting.

and doing so only makes you a pseudo moralistic douche that wants to show off some weird commitment to made up morals instead of appreciating movies and art for what they are.

No one cares that you want to advertise how upsetties you were Anthony. We all had enough of putting up with this shit. No one literally cares about your hurt fee fees while doing us the great great favour of "liking" our problematic media. Fuck off with this kind of shit and crawl back to your social media safe space for ass pats. Shoo.

Come back if you want to discuss awesome shit, but if you are here to whine about things in order to make yourself look moral to others and other woke bullshit you can fuck off.
>>
File: 1458018001617.jpg (60KB, 450x331px) Image search: [Google]
1458018001617.jpg
60KB, 450x331px
>>87492154

You're quite right.
>>
>>87493063
he looked asian like, heck if i know where he was from
>>
>>87493114
>His name was Jonathan Pangborn
>Strange's physiotherapist said he met him in New York
>Pangborn himself states that he only went to Kathmandu looking for enlightenment and to sharpen his mind in place of his useless limbs
>he was played by a Californian named Michael Stuhlbarg...
>somehow this registers as Chinese

Anon... I...
>>
>>87493158
I feel like you're projecting and ranting against someone else who is NOT ME because I don't know who the fuck Anthony is. Maybe work out your issues and think about the fact that while no one may care about my opinion, I can still shit it out all over you just like you can spout your nonsense as much as you want.
>>
>>87493018
Valkirye gonna be awesome, and if she's not it wont be the fault of her skin colour.

She can be a horrible actress on her own merits and not because of her race or whatever. Taking in consideration all the casting so far, im sure she'll be good. They've screwed up casting like.. twice? And most of it isnt even bad casting as much as it is directors stunting good actors with minimal parts.
>>
>>87493213
I met chinese the same way american black folks are called african american even though they've never set foot in africa.

Chill.
>>
>>87492821
>Watching the credits
I talk to my friends during the credits, do you actually read the screen?
>>
File: 1418759535738.jpg (168KB, 827x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1418759535738.jpg
168KB, 827x1024px
>>87492996
>still disapprove of the circumstances that led to their casting.

You realize that you come off as a massive douchebag that only needs to "disapprove" in order to gain cookie points with onlookers as you showcase some sort of moral high ground, right?

No one gives a fuck.
>>
>>87493240
Eric, please stop shitting on threads with your shitty opinions about problematic content
>>
>>87493282
I like to zig-zag my way through them during the credits. Not looking for anything, just looking at names and departments. Sometimes you learn about the existence of jobs you didn't even know existed, or funny names.

I do like to read as many names as I can sometimes.

Yeah, I'm weird. I'm cool with it.
>>
>>87493023
Speaking of subtle shit in the movie, I paid more attention to More during the research. Seeing his reaction to the whole, "you have no idea what I've done" makes me think he was a real bad motherfucker before.

It's why he's such a hardliner. He's overcompensating for his past. And his convo with the Ancient One shows that he hasn't learned to live with his demons.

No wonder he turns bad.
>>
>>87493348
It's okay, anon. It's not your fault. Who ever hurt you is to blame. Eric, Anthony? Fuck those guys. It's not your fault.

>>87493313
Telling me that no one gives a fuck about my opinion on an anonymous imageboard is not going to stop me from sharing my opinion.
>>
>>87493282
We look for funny names in the credits while also talking about the movie, yes.
There's one guy in there on the rigging team whose name is
>Thomas Schulz Genannt Schön
or something like that.
His name is literally
>Thomas Village-Mayor Called Beautiful/Nice
>>
>>87492588
This is horseshit. He knows why he picked Tilda- to suck chink cock and help them eliminate Tibetan culture
>>
>>87493368
>someone else does exactly this too
I feel so validated.
>>
>>87493396
>He's overcompensating for his past. And his convo with the Ancient One shows that he hasn't learned to live with his demons.

I know someone like that. Or rather I know someone who knows someone who is like that. he went to prison, and came out very religious, and every attempt to slightly defy his worldviews about how great and perfect religion is, and how much of a great person he is for following it, and he goes angry and possibly violent.
>>
>>87493564
>brofist.jpg
>>
>>87493627
the japanese have a stereotype for that in their old novels. the "evil" monk

usually someone that turns to religion because they are a really bad person, but their bad habits keep infiltrating in this "new" life, so the monk guise is somewhat of a mark of how bad they can get that they'd need to go that extreme to fix themselves.

Krilin from dragonball and Tien were both based on that archetype (with a few more stuff thrown in), which is why krilin starts up as a monk that lies and cheats at everything and Tien is monk like but extremely violent and savage
>>
>>87492862
>>87492967

Funny, they included that in the version released in Brazil.
>>
File: mq1.png (77KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
mq1.png
77KB, 240x240px
>>87493780
>the "evil" monk
Isn't that just a regular catholic priest?
>>
>>87493213
Pangborn was played by Benjamin Bratt.
>>
>>87494124
who is descended from a native american peruvian woman, which is why he looks asian.
>>
>>87492862
UK version has it.
>>
>>87492723

I actually like my adaptions to be faithful to the source material, you faggot fuck.
>>
>>87493282
I usually go to movies by myself. And usually I leave when the credits roll, but with Marvel movies they have shit at the end so I stay all the way through.
>>
>>87493282
I like to see which comic writers/artists they credit and look for unusual names.

>>87493313
Different anon, but it annoys me because it was done to appease the Chinese government so they could get that China money. You don't want to open that Tibetan can of worms.
>>
>>87492476
Despite it's financial failure there's a lot of subtle details to like about Waterworld and it doesn't get nearly enough credit for them.

Like you said - it establishes the entire world without exposition, letting the audience learn the "rules" of the world for themselves, and it's all in subtle ways.

Take the scene with the Mariner trading at the atoll - he trades a bag of dirt for a ton of water and supplies. That right there tells you everything you need to know about the world they live in.
>>
>>87493282
I usually look for silly names and other stupid shit to laugh at. Also, I'm capable of reading credits and talking to people at the same time.
>>
>>87494498
Yeah, I mentioned that to my gf and talked about how Interstellar or Inception talked to much for me.

She argued that interstellar had interesting dialogue explaining interesting things, and she liked for that. I guess I get where she's coming from. can't remember if the dialogues and explanation for that movie made sense though. I remember going "wtf" multiple times during that movie. Especially towards the end.
My friends explanation for everything I had an issue with coherence-wise was "you can't disprove it".
>>
>>87494669

it's funny cause I think Inception is amazing but agree that dialog is 70% exposition. yet don't like any other Nolan movies anywhere near as much
>>
>>87494498
>>87494669
I made two comics recently, and my narration teacher had issues with both of them because he constantly wanted spoonfed information. Pissed me off.
I also often got the rule "make it as simple as if your audience was stupid, because they are". Never expected my teacher himself to not get it.

Everyone on the internet who read them liked them and understood them fine so far though.
>>
>>87494212
im going to assume I just missed somehow
>>
>>87494825
>Disney has a secret plan to kill all spanish people by making them text and drive
>>
So who was the girl with the brain implant struck by lightning.

She was one of the cases mentioned by Dr. Stranges secretary as a possible patient, and he says "interesting" and then there's the crash.

That sounds like an origin story for some obscure Marvel character.
>>
>>87493407
>Telling me that no one gives a fuck about my opinion on an anonymous imageboard is not going to stop me from sharing my opinion.

Get a load of this ignorant moralfag.

Just a reminder: you're not some special snowflake and spouting this annoying holier than thou bullshit just makes you look like an idiot.
>>
>>87493282
It was the last line of the credits and hard to miss.
>>
>>87492154
>"anti-exposition."
That's just in media res.
>>
>>87493282
Some of us can talk and read at the same time.
>>
>>87492909
>Tilda Swinton looks hella cute in this film.

>you will never hug Tilda Swinton
life is cruel
>>
File: swinton.png (56KB, 1287x226px) Image search: [Google]
swinton.png
56KB, 1287x226px
>>87495766
She could hug you, but she'd have to kill you.
>>
>>87495860
So...she's an actual comic book character?
>>
>>87492347
TAO is best Marvelfu.
>>
>>87492939
>the TAO
>The The Ancient One
This is why we hate you damn towelheads.
>>
>>87493107
>Strange was just ban evading forever
>>
>>87493282

I was sitting beside a girl who as far as I could tell was texting on her phone for at least half the movie.

Who the fuck pays 15 bucks so they can text in a dark room with other people nearby?
>>
>>87498370
>local LCS
>RIP in peace
>>
Anybody else legitimately shocked that she died? Like, I just kind of thought they'd save her at the last minute
>>
>>87492588
>TAO does evil, siphoning power from Dormammu to preserve herself for the greater good
>TAO's actor is an evil choice, siphoning money to China, to preserve the greater good of the movies bottom line

P
O
E
T
R
Y
>>
>>87499610
>Benedict Cumberbatch cast as Dr. Strange
>Benedict Wong cast as Wong
I think we hyper crisis with this movie.

>>87499345
I thought she would live and pass Strange the Sorcerer Supreme mantle while overlooking the students in Kamar-Taj. Too bad she didn't make it ;_;
>>
>>87494234
Faithful to the source material is different than what you think it means

The movie still includes the character. The only change is related to how the actual actor looks. It was as faithful as it possibly could be working within the realms of film production

Blade Runner is still a faithful film because it's not set in a magic fantasy world. Or are you the stupid type of idiot who believes the movie wouldn't work without Deckard using an empathy box to connect emotionally with an old man climbing a mountain?
>>
DarkHold and (maybe) Serpent's Crown on the loose, surely the Kamar Taj folk should get on that pretty sharpish.
>>
>>87499982

Do you know what the most defining characteristics of a character are?

Age, race, and gender.

Fuck ANY of those up, and it's officially an OC, and not an adaption of any pre-existing character, no matter what. Period.
>>
>>87492821
saw that, gave it a nod
>>
>>87493063
>Pangborn looked Chinese to you?
that cop dude from catwoman? hells yeah he looks asian.

Him mom is indigenous peruvian, that's where it comes from
>>
>>87500437
The most defining characteristics of a character don't have to do with their age, race, or gender unless if they tie to that character's actual background or personality

Kingpin works as a black guy because his parents weren't fucking KKK members

For fuck's sake, Dusting Hoffman in the Graduate is nothing like the actual book's description of Ben

There is literally nothing you can do about the actor's race, age, or gender. If they can still pull off the character then they can pull off the goddamn character
>>
>>87493282
I like to make the same dumb joke over and over where I say "Oh yeah, "name" did a great job assisting the Sound effect supervisor and shit like that.
>>
>>87500437
>Do you know what the most defining characteristics of a character are?
>Age, race, and gender.

Not at all true. Plenty of amazing novels are written with characters whose ethnicity or even vague physical description is never given.

>Fuck ANY of those up, and it's officially an OC, and not an adaption of any pre-existing character, no matter what. Period.

That's a child's logic. Mordo's ethnicity is immaterial to his character.

Arguably Mikkelsen was playing one take on Mordo and Ejiofer another. Was Mikkelsen the more true Mordo by being evil right at the start? Even his sophisticated backstory and parallel to Stephen makes him more complex than the Mordo of the comics ever was.

Which one is the more true representation?
>>
>>87500437
>I care more about the number of years someone has on the clock, the colour of their skin and their naughty bits than the content of their character

but why senpai
>>
>>87501295
>That's a child's logic. Mordo's ethnicity is immaterial to his character.
I'd say that in character traits, Mordo in the film basically is an OC.

I'd just say that that's fine because the original Mordo has very, very little going for him and isn't one of the reasons that Doctor Strange is an interesting or good comic to adapt.
>>
>>87492347
This. I thought she would just stand from afar and cast big ass spell. But turn out she's also very physical as well.
>>
>>87500693
Me too, man. Me too

Dolly grip Papa John is my personal favorite of all the names we've caught over the years
>>
>>87500437

>Age, race, and gender.

is that why that one RLM test is always used to rate a good character
>>
>doubting Based Tilda Wilson
>ever
>>
>>87501945
>I'd say that in character traits, Mordo in the film basically is an OC.

They could have swapped Mordo for Jeremiah Drumm and Kaecilius for Mordo and it would be about the same.
>>
>>87492428
The chinese don't like watching racist Asian stereotypes
>>
>>87492712
I think people hated BvS because it was a nearly 3 hour movie where Batman and Superman fought once for about six minutes at the two hour mark and it looked like professional wrestling.
>>
>>87492862
Australian confirming you're wrong, cunt.
>>
Not really a fan of the mirror dimension desu. I think they showed too much of it too.
>>
>>87505590

I mainly hated it because almost all of the dialogue was complete shit.
>>
I just want to know if people went through the same experience that i did or if the problem was on my end.

So whenever the big scale trippy magic happened i understood what was going on perfectly, but whenever the action would focus on two or three combatents it was nearly impossible to understand what was going on.

Maybe it was the 3D goggles but that really bothered me
>>
File: awwh.jpg (88KB, 579x576px)
awwh.jpg
88KB, 579x576px
>>87492347
>Here I am, trying to turn a moment into a thousand
>*Holds Strange's hand*

I didn't think the Astral form would be used so well for emotion.
>>
>>87506465
No, I got that too.
It wasn't even that much shaky cam and I wager once I see it on a smaller screen, it'll be less of an issue for me.

I notice this in theaters in general and I think it has to do with the nature of two eyes: from a healthy distance away and a completely stable camera, you can let your eyes flick from focus to focus and they'll focus on that important thing.
On a bigger screen (to your eyes, based on distance), the lack of focus in spaces you don't focus on is more pronounced and so for a movie you've never seen before, it's hard to keep up.

Dunno, Gonna rewatch the hallway fight on youtube
>>
>>87506703
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE6eqU-ah5A

Try this and see if it seems clearer
>>
>>87492588
Asians aren't a minority, get catered to by Hollywood, and have their own film industry.

They can suck a cock. Enjoy Wong and stfu.

Oh geeze it would be so fun to watch an old bearded man teach spiritual things. I've never seen that before how cool and original would that be!
>>
>>87500437
OH, NOW I GET IT! Thank you, I never realized this before.

Tony stark and Bruce Banner ARE THE SAME PERSON!

How could I have missed it all these years?
>>
>>87499345
There were cuts of the film where she lived.
>>
Anyone else oddly turned on by the ancient one?
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.