[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to comics. Is this worth reading? I can buy both part 1 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3524.jpg (236KB, 484x738px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3524.jpg
236KB, 484x738px
New to comics. Is this worth reading? I can buy both part 1 and part 2 for a collective $45
Worth it?
>>
>>87448176
Secret Wars I is pretty good. Solid if simple plot, a lot of iconic moments, gets most of your major Marvel characters of the era covered. It's nothing particularly great, but it's a worthwhile read and very new reader friendly. You could do better, but you could also do way worse.

Secret Wars II is hot fucking garbage whose only iconic moment is Spider-man teaching the Beyonder how to poop and isn't even worth reading let alone paying for.
>>
>>87448176
These are bad OP. Secret Wars II is amusingly bad because it's a trainwreck but you wouldn't really appreciate that unless you'd been following Marvel at the time.

That said, Mike Zeck, who did the art, is awesome. You should read Kraven's Last Hunt which was drawn by him. Great, self contained 80s Marvel story.
>>
>>87448326
Thanks, you've potentially saved me $20 there. Although I would like to have seen that pooping bit, I'll just look it up online

>>87448705
Believe it or not that is actually the first comic I ever read. It's pretty great. Here's what I've read so far

Kraven's Last Hunt
The night Gwen Stacy died
The road to civil war
Civil War
Captain America's death
Days of Future Past
Infinity Gauntlet
Dead pool kills the Marvel Universe
Punisher kills the Marvel Universe

Any recommendations? I prefer reading the big events. Is House of M any good?
>>
I thought I had some pages saved from the X-Anon storytime, but I guess not.
Secret Wars is absolutely not worth $45 anymore, I don't even know where the money would go, but the story itself is interesting and worth checking out. Lots of weird characterization issues, but the premise of a bunch of heroes and villains stranded on an alien planet and the twists that accompany make it an interesting look into the event comics of yesteryear.
>>
>>87448828
>Any recommendations?
Can't go wrong with:
>Marvels and Marvels: Eye of the Camera
>Earth-X
>NEXTWAVE
>Superior Foes of Spider-man

>I prefer reading the big events.
Almost every single big Marvel event comic ranges from awful to mediocre at best with a very small handful that you could call good. Most of Marvel's best comics are in fringe side of things and in individual runs. The big event comics have historically just been money-grabs whose sole purpose is to sell toys and/or to create an artificially "important" comic to get people that wouldn't normally care about comics to pay attention. They're casual bait at best and setting-derailing disasters at worse. As far as Marvel's actually good event comics go:
>Infinity Gauntlet
>Annihilation
>Annihilation: Conquest
>War of Kings
>AXIS
>Secret Wars (2015)
Off the top of my head.

>Is House of M any good?
It's inoffensive and better than most Bendis-written events. But no, it's not good.
>>
>>87448176
Who is Afro girl in the middle?
>>
>>87448947
Oh, and Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme, which is grossly underrated and among Marvel's all-time best comics.
>>
>>87448965
Captain Marvel deserves to be in the middle. Afterall, she's Marvel's Wonder Woman.
>>
>>87448828
Big events are 99% of the time not good. The editors come up with the ideas, the editors decide who lives and who dies and what is changed "forever", and the editors force the events upon the writers even when it derails whatever the writers were planning. The writers are unhappy with this and so they turn in their hackiest, most passionless work for events.

Read events if you want, but don't pretend that you're reading them in search of "good" comics.
>>
>>87448176
>I can buy both part 1 and part 2 for a collective $45

This is a TERRIBLE deal. Secret Wars is a solid 80's crossover but the sequel is terrible. Even if they were both 10/10 GOAT $45 would be a ripoff.
>>
>>87449035
How much should comics cost me then?
I buy from Amazon
>>
File: 1446407365373.jpg (781KB, 1946x1660px) Image search: [Google]
1446407365373.jpg
781KB, 1946x1660px
>>87448828
>Any recommendations?
Comics in general or just Marvel?

>I prefer reading the big events.
Events are shit. As an example, Thunderbolts is one of my all-time favorite Marvel comics, but Civil War ruined it by turning it into an Ostrander ripoff. Fuck events.
>>
>>87448965
Monica Rambeau, also known as the second Captain Marvel.
She lead the Avengers, you know.
>>
>>87449354
I'm open to both but much less familiar with DC. Only DC comic I've read was Bateman: Hush and I enjoyed that a lot
>>
>>87449354
While I agree with you, it was a really good Ostrander ripoff.

>>87449324
If you live in the continental US, then I recommend buying from instocktrades.com. They're usually the cheapest place to buy trades and hardcovers for the Big 2 since they always charge at minimum 42% off the MSRP whereas Amazon usually goes around ~30% off at best.

If you don't live in the US then things get a bit more complicated of course, in which case Amazon would probably be your best bet.
>>
>>87449421
Read All-Star Superman. If you don't read a single other DC comic in your life, at least read All-Star Superman.
>>
>>87449421
>I'm open to both
There are more than only two kinds of comics.

If you restrict yourself to those two, to only what you're "familiar" with, then you're only going to be hurting yourself.
>>
>>87448176
It's a 12 issue toy advertisement.
>>
>>87449463
>While I agree with you, it was a really good Ostrander ripoff.
It wasn't as good as Ostrander's Suicide Squad, it wasn't as good as Thunderbolts pre-Civil War, and the cost was the loss of the franchise's identity, direction and soul.
>>
It kinda makes Dr Doom look retarded..
>>
>>87449487
What would you recommend outside of the big two? Hellboy?
>>
>>87449771
Sure, Hellboy's good. Also, >>87449354.
>>
File: nexus_madman.jpg (176KB, 432x563px) Image search: [Google]
nexus_madman.jpg
176KB, 432x563px
>>87448828
>Any recommendations?
Starman
Madman
Nexus
Badger
Jonah Hex
>>
>>87448176
You should read pic related.

Sins Past, probably the best canonical story spider-man has to offer
>>
>>87451664
DELETE THIS
>>
File: spiderman-goblin-sins-past.jpg (171KB, 920x478px) Image search: [Google]
spiderman-goblin-sins-past.jpg
171KB, 920x478px
>>87451747
It's a masterpiece
>>
>>87448176
SW1 still holds up great, and a good introduction to many of the featured characters. It has solid writing.
Just keep in mind that comics nowadays are pretty lame compared to it - they only use shock factor without good storytelling. SW still had both.
>>
>>87448176
Get Secret Wars II, it's the best comic Marvel ever put out
>>
>>87451664
This will never stop making me mad.

You know what's worse? OMD retcons everything EXCEPT this piece of shit
>>
>>87449354
Are there more images from where this came from?
>>
>>87448326
>only iconic moment

Some of the bits with Molecule Man just wanting to be a normal joe, and come home after work to watch TV with his waifu were pretty great. But yeah, I agree otherwise.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.