[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't we get a good Superman movie? Is he just that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 13

File: superman.png (1MB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
superman.png
1MB, 1152x864px
Why can't we get a good Superman movie?

Is he just that hard to portray on screen?
>>
Disneys Hercules remains the only good superman movie out there
>>
>>87446763
The same reason we can't get a good Superman video game. Incompetence
>>
>>87446763

You seriously didn't like any of the Superman movies? Why do you think they failed?
>>
>>87446763
Well, same reason we can't get a good Superman comic book
Shitposting. The answer is shitposting
>>
>>87446893
I didn't mind The Prince of Egypt, they did a great job with General Zod.
>>
File: Hope.jpg (101KB, 615x834px) Image search: [Google]
Hope.jpg
101KB, 615x834px
>>87446763
I think what he is SUPPOSE to represent is too big to really capture in a single movie.

I mean, look at the entire character comic library, and tell me which one could be made into a word for word, scene for scene film that would best capture Superman.

In my opinion, An introductory movie for Superman should be a feel good film. That's how he got started in the comics. Women abusers, slumlords, gangsters, bullies in general... all got what they deserved, or what we like to think they deserved, when Superman came a'knock'n.

But we live in a day and age with a saturated market in comics, where other heroes can be looked to as examples of exacting justice, especially when the law impedes it. It really depends on what your idea of justice is, and for most, Superman just doesn't cut it anymore. We changed as a society.

The Great Depression sucked. People wanted to feel as powerful as Superman, to right the wrongs they had to endure, often at the hands of those who acted with impunity. That's the key to the character: righting wrongs. What made him so inspirational was the fact that he used his strength and powers to do just that, and some of us do feel that we would do the same, given such power. Superman is the ultimate representation of wish fulfillment in this regard.

That is the feeling that needs to be recaptured.
>>
File: Christopher Reeve Supes.jpg (24KB, 630x410px) Image search: [Google]
Christopher Reeve Supes.jpg
24KB, 630x410px
>>87446763
>Why can't we get a good Superman movie?

Uh, we did? How old are you OP?
>>
File: 1478147616784.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1478147616784.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>87448634
this character but with the contrast turned as low as possible and invert the smile and boom you got snyderman oh yeah make the suit out of plastic and compare him to jesus
>>
>>87446975
This triggers me a lot more than the movies. Fucking Batman has had five major games by now. Superman can't even get a solo Lego game for fuck's sake.
>>
>>87448818
No anon. Superman is too OP for video games, it wouldn't even be possible.
>>
>>87448927
It's not like there are no other overpowered game protagonists. Raiden from MGS isn't that far away from where TAS Superman was. Working around that shouldn't be that big of a deal for experienced game designers.

Besides, you've got stuff like Telltale, whose style would make the OP problem completely moot.
>>
>>87448818
Devs should just pull some crap like Supes get injected with a kryptonite virus or some nonsense like that, bring his powerlevel down a bit, give a reason for there being a hp bar.
>>
>>87449239
You know what would be neat?

If they did it like Metroid Prime. You have all the powers and the thrill of Superman, and then have the powers sapped from you. As you absorb yellow sunlight, the powers return. The bosses and level design ramp up to your ability.

Final boss is Darkseid.
>>
>>87449239
Yeah. I agree with everything you say. But thats what most normies will say (atleast on Youtube)
>>87449394
Like All-star? I like it
>>87449429
Neat
>>
>>87446763
Superman: The Movie and Superman II were good.
I unironically like the DCEU movies as well but that's a different case.
>>
>>87448927
A good Superman game needs to be created by people who have a ton of imagination, aren't blinded by Superman's perceived invincibility (pro-tip, Superman isn't actually totally invincible, not even in the comics, and not even during the Silver-Age; not to mention this shit doesn't even MATTER since plenty of video games have protagonists that are ludicrously powerful but are capable of dying to the weakest enemies if you let them - that shit is called ludonarrative dissonance iirc), and who are stellar at creating action games.

A really feel like a good Superman game should be like a CUHRAYZEE game, not unlike Bayonetta, the Wonderful 101, Devil May Cry, or Ninja Gaiden. Obviously not exactly like those, but they should take inspiration from them, as they are incredibly fast, intensive action games where you control powerful characters, fight impressive enemies and bosses, some of whom can rush at you from afar in the blink of an eye, and provide amazing spectacle. That, I feel like, should be what a Superman game is all about.

As for enemies, get fucking creative with them. Let's have you fight an assortment of Luthor and Brainiac bots for one portion of the game, maybe evil Kryptonians for another, maybe different types of Parademons, and so on. Just make it fucking work. It's entirely doable, it just takes some creativity and effort. Boss fights should be ridiculously easy, though. There are so many characters to use as boss fights, it's ludicrous.
>>
>>87449597
>Boss fights should be ridiculously easy
Huh? Other than that If you directed this game. I would check it out.
>>
>>87449597
I'd wish for a Superman game where you could explore the entire world and fly into space and do other crazy shit. Oh shit stop Grodd in Gorilla City. Where's that? Africa but it's hidden by a cloaking device. Use your x-ray vision and fly around Africa to find it. Oh shit something happened in Atlantis to Aquaman. Swim into Atlantis and investigate that spooky deep sea. Fly to Apokolips or Themyscera or to Oa. Help GL fight Yellow Lanterns. Help Wonder Woman fight against the army of Hades.
>>
File: SupermanJLBColorWeb.jpg (142KB, 620x797px) Image search: [Google]
SupermanJLBColorWeb.jpg
142KB, 620x797px
Superman is the antithesis of what common Hollywood convention says is what makes for a good movie character, in spite of the fact that Captain America has all the same traits (at least in terms of personality) but has starred/co-starred in 5 gorillion dollar movies at this point

At the end of the day, it boils down to a complete lack of faith about what makes the character work by the people at Warner Bros.
>>
>>87449597
Superman's rogue gallery is full of villains that are on his or near his power-level. But yeah, they would need to be exceedingly creative.

Also, in the comics, Superman doesn't really beat his enemies by simply being stronger than them, he mostly beat them through problemsolving, using his brain that is. Bosses that require problemsolving are almost always the best types of bosses, bosses that are puzzles. .

They should also do what Spider-Man 2 did, have you go around the city rescuing people from disasters and accidents, solving hostage situations and shit, you know, do superman stuff. So basically an open world, but, maybe just not a city, but a state, Delaware or Kansas, whichever Metropolis is in.
>>
>>87446893
Disney's Hercules is neither good nor a Superman movie
>>
>>87449716
>Huh? Other than that If you directed this game.
I'm sorry, I meant in terms of COMING UP with the boss fights period. I mean, there are tons of characters in the comics that can fight Superman on an equal level. Or even some that are more powerful than Superman.

>General Zod, Faora/Ursa, and Nam-Ek/Non
>Brainiac
>Doomsday
>Bizarro (speaking of, Bizarro clones would be a great type of enemy)
>Kalibak
>The Female Furies
>Motherfucking Darkseid
>Solaris, the Tyrant Sun
>The Anti-Monitor (speaking of, shadow demons could work as another type of enemy)
>Mandrakk, the Dark Monitor
>The Time Trapper
>Mongul

And so on.

Sorry if I confused you. I wasn't talking about difficulty in-game with fighting them, I meant it should be fairly obvious as to what could be a boss fight in a Superman game.
>>
File: ActionComics829.jpg (293KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ActionComics829.jpg
293KB, 1024x768px
>>87449429
>RPG w/fighting engine
>Superman needs to reach the Fortress of Solitude to restore his powers.
>Base abilities to start are Leaping, and Strength(which grows per level up)
>Each mission along the journey is a mini story that touches on aspects of what it means to be Superman.
>Regains advanced abilities as the main story progresses(speed, vision and breath powers)
>Near the end of the game, Superman must defeat Kalibak and Steppenwolf before being able to reach the Fortress.
>In the Fortress, Darkseid is waiting and defeats Superman, leaving him for dead.
>Dramatic cinematic showing a full scale invasion.
>In the Fortress, Superman laments his failure, but is contacted by Jor-El, who reminds him of those who need and what he stands for.
>Flight and Invulnerability restored.
>Final Mission requires using full power set.
>3 phase final Darkseid battle(In each phase, Darkseid's appearance changes to different character design).
>>
>>87448818
It's a lot easier to make a video game about a guy who runs around punching guys and crawling on buildings than a guy who can literally do just about anything

I mean, how many games even offered unlimited flight?
>>
>>87449785
I'm gonna kick your ass
>>
>>87449835
>Mission objective: Survive
>>
>>87449759
This.

>>87449768
Parasite. You could have a weak Superman movie, hell, even a HORRIFIC Superman movie as he struggles with a monster that he HAS to fight indirectly because if he gets stuck in with the Parasite he loses.
>>
>>87449768
>Also, in the comics, Superman doesn't really beat his enemies by simply being stronger than them, he mostly beat them through problemsolving, using his brain that is. Bosses that require problemsolving are almost always the best types of bosses, bosses that are puzzles.
I disagree on all fronts.

Western devs, for some reason, think that every boss needs to be a puzzle boss fight and that's not the case. Sometimes you don't want to dick around with that kind of bullshit. Sometimes you want a boss that tests your reflexes and how much you know a game's battle system.

A Superman game should have a Zod boss battle be the equivalent to something like Vergil in DMC3:SE, a boss who's your equal and can do everything you can, but better.

And Darkseid could be like Senator Armstrong.

>>87449848
>I mean, how many games even offered unlimited flight?
Zone of the Enders 2 did just that and that one's considered to be one of the GOAT action games.
>>
>>87446763
I think the problem is moreso that "Not Muh" fags literally cannot nail down what they think Superman is really like without it coming across as some corny after school special.

We all know you're refering to the DCEU and to that I say Man of Steel got me into Superman. Maybe the writing could be a bit tighter, but I don't see how that equates to being a bad Superman movie.
>>
>>87446763
MoS. BvS. 1978 Superman. Superman and the Mole Men. Kill yourself you casual.
>>
>>87449896
I'm just saying, a superman game should have both types of boss fights.
>>
>>87449597
>not even during the Silver-Age
Proof of Superman getting hurt without kryptonite?
>>
>>87449828
Oh thanks for clearing things up. I need to read more supes.
>>
>>87449896
>Zone of the Enders 2
Considering that game's director might not doesn't seem to even work in games any more you might be shit out of luck.
>>
>>87449916
Eh, I think it should be pure action.

>>87449949
Pic related. And enemies like Mongul could stand toe-to-toe with Superman in terms of sheer strength.
>>
>>87450030
>Considering that game's director might not doesn't seem to even work in games any more you might be shit out of luck.
Not quite always in flight, but the Dissidia: Final Fantasy games have you fly around and give you different moves depending on whether you're grounded or in the air. Well the arcade one does at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVWhQGyYefg
>>
>>87449828
>>Solaris, the Tyrant Sun
I'm always puzzled as to why writers never use Solaris. It's a sentient, miniature red sun, it should be a no-brainer Superman enemy.
>>
>>87450077
Imagine a DC fighting game built like Dissidia or the Gundam VS games or Zone of the Enders where you have a big map to run around and make full use of each character's weird and unique characters

and then realize that you're just gonna get reskinned Mortal Kombat again
>>
>>87450107
No one ever wants to use anything Morrison creates, which is odd, because Solaris would be a great recurring antagonist for Superman.

>>87450138
It would be the sickest shit. Although my ideal DC fighting game would be DC vs. Capcom or DC vs. Marvel made by Capcom in the style of MvC.

I like Injustice but it's kind of disappointing, yeah.
>>
File: kamiyu.jpg (76KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
kamiyu.jpg
76KB, 960x720px
>>87446763
1-He's an awful character

2-Even if he wasn't people nowadays want edgy shit and "deconstructions", you can't have good guys that want to help people anymore, everything needs to be edgy and mature
>>
>>87450033
>magnetic repulsion flow of 100 galaxies

What the fuck man
>>
>>87446763
There only need to be two Superman movies ever made, both will be jesus allegories. First one is with him dying to Doomsday while trying to save some human scum. Second one is him coming back as "savior" of the world but really he's just an undead prick who takes over, Red Son style. Easy and it covers all possible personalities of someone with these kinds of powers.
>>
>>87446763
Superman 78 is probably the only actually great film based on a comic book property
Every other one is "it's good for a comic book movie"

>bbbbbut I liked X
Watch real cinema kid.
>>
>>87449759
>in spite of the fact that Captain America has all the same traits

I want this casual meme to end, specially when you have Steve as a fascist in the last movie
>>
Because they let fucking idiots like Snyder that don't understand the character make the movies.
>>
File: 00000065-001.png (16KB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
00000065-001.png
16KB, 291x300px
>>87450231
Literally just saying thing that sound fucking badass.

Like your childhood friend who comes up with a new power the moment you get the upper hand in make-believe, and now you're not friends anymore.
>>
>>87450541
Do you understand the character?
>>
>>87448163
Part of the issue with this is the varying notions of (in)justice in our context. Depending on who you ask the wrongs a hero should right change a lot.

That's quite different from his origin where the target demographic wasn't quite as fractioned, they were all low class people who had the same "enemies".
>>
>>87450799
Of course.
>>
>>87448927
Worked alright in the PS2 JLA game.
>>
>>87449429
I fucking hate that shit. I don't play games to grind up to the point where it gets fun.
If a game has to rely mostly on levelling to keep you interested, it's not a very good game.
>>
File: superman_zod.png (2MB, 1100x780px) Image search: [Google]
superman_zod.png
2MB, 1100x780px
>>87448818
An anon once had the idea for a Superman game based on the story arc in Byrne's Superman about General Zod in a Pocket Universe.

Superman arrives there after Zod and the Phantom Zone criminals have already ruined most of Earth, with a citadel made in what was Smallville the last holdout.

This would make a city that's "OK" for Superman to go hog wild in, so no worries about the player being destructive.

If they want they could have him be somewhat depowered from crossing dimensions for some reason so he could gain back his abilities, but I don't think you need to place limits on Superman's powers. Instead the game challenges you with new ways to use the powers you have (similar to the design of Portal).

Eventually Superman ends up in an underground prison with all of that Earth's versions of his villains, so it would also have the appeal Arkham Asylum had with his famous rogues gallery being all around him.

The plot is about Superman having to find some way to stop Zod before he can cross the dimensions to Superman's Earth. The Gold Kryptonite would be the game's MacGuffin. And you could even have a "moral choice" that games seem so fond of nowadays, at the end with whether you kill Zod like in the story or let him live with the risk he'll escape.
>>
Superman 1 and 2 Donner cut are legit legend status for me. If we want a great modern day Superman film we'd need Maggin and Waid to team. Team 2 would be Morrison and pre-Doomed arc Pak. Otherwise, hire people who respect the character, love the character maybe or just is excited to work with the entire concept. Excited in the way that it keeps them up at night.
>>
>>87450033
Man this is gonna sound crazy but I was thinking of EXACTLY this page.

I always interpreted this as an exclamation of surprise rather than pain, like "yowza!" His face doesn't look pained, just confused/surprised.

You got another one? I'm just curious because many of his stories revolve around how his invulnerability is so high.
>>
>>87446763

Superman 1, Superman 2 and Man of Steel were all good to me.

Smallville was hit or miss. Adventures of Lois and Clark was fun. Superman TAS and JL/JLU was gold. Superman on Supergirl was alright.

He has mostly decent depictions.
>>
>>87446893
I guess so.
>>
Looks like Man Of Steel 2 has quite a big weight to carry. Thanks Snyder.
>>
>>87450220
Spotted the pleb
>>
>>87450799
It's not all that hard to. Even kids can get the basis of Superman. It's what really makes it astounding that they somehow got the one fucking person on planet Earth who doesn't get Superman. Snyder is a hairless gorilla.
>>
>>87455396
>doesn't get Superman
Nice try, shill.
>>
>>87450472
I don't think you understand what fascist means, anon.
>>
>>87455527
He doesn't. Zack Snyder has no idea about Superman, his struggles and motivations, and what makes him or his whole entire mythos work. Zack Snyder is a hack.
>>
>>87446763
There have been at least 3 good superman movies not counting animated and multiple tv shows. Superman has more than enough good content attached to him
>>
The world is just too corrupted for a true portrayal to be made. He is beyond our understanding.
>>
>>87450363
You probably on like it because of nostalgia. None of the characters in that film were particularly deep nor was anything else in that film. Visuals and script weren't that great either. Honestly, Superman the Movie shows its age greatly when even compared against the first Raimi Spider-Man. By then we were just taking it for granted that Peter was conflicted and had a character arc.

>>87453501
>I always interpreted this as an exclamation of surprise rather than pain, like "yowza!" His face doesn't look pained, just confused/surprised

This is balanced out by the fact that we actually get an internal monologue, in which Superman explicitly states that he believes he's in trouble.

>>87455841
Superman has so many writers that there have been too many interpretations of Superman to name; most of them probably didn't "get" Superman in your eyes.

How do you interpret Superman? I understand Superman as a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, not as a perfect god. The later is how those on the outside idolize him, as those on the outside looking in, but he really is one of us, and identifies as such. He works a regular job, grew up on a farm, and pines over a woman who doesn't notice him over the other guy. Snyder gets this far more than those who complain that Superman wasn't perfect enough in MoS, that the point of his character is to be an infallible source of "inspiration" who always saves the day, and that everything he's in should be lighthearted because of the former.
>>
>>87446763
Superman, Superman 2, MoS
>>
>>87449759
ignoring your point about traits, Steve is so much easier to do due to backstory and powers
>>
>>87446763
No, because Superman has been ruined since the crisis. That's why we haven't had any great Superman runs or movies since 86.
>>
>>87446763
It's not hard to portray him. When most comic writers don't have any idea what to do with him, forget the film writers. They turn it into Spider-man lite melodrama or DBZ tier action.
>>
>>
>>87449768
Yeah, that Mysterio final battle was a tough one.
>>
>>87449828

add a Mxyzptlk puzzle level. If done right it could be Supes's answer to Scarecrow from Arkham Asylum.
>>
>>87446763
They should get Aronofsky to direct and write Superman.
>>
>>87446763
Because he is boring. His powers make him invencible, his weakness is a joke, his personality is generic boyscout and his motivation is to save people, you know basically the motivation of every fucking hero out there. His supporting cast also sucks, example is Lois Lane, she is supposed to be a strong-willed reporter but often comes out as a stupid person depending on the adaptation, in the silver age she was a girl with a compussive obsession on Superman, every thing she did was to trick him into marrying her, in the SmallVille series she was a slut, in the DCEU she is a stupid reporter who is given reality altering powers so she can be everywhere relevant to the plot and Superman, iall so she can be a damsel in distress; that is what she is a glorified damsel in distress. In the end Superman is just a relic of the past that comic book nerds keep clinging to.
>>
Because not enough hollywood types realize that Superman is actually an everyman.
He moves from the small town to a big city chasing his dream job, pines after the girl in the cubicle next to his, tries to be a good neighbor, loves his ma, pa, dog, and country, and he's got a place he goes to relax and get away from it all.

Yet somehow the tortured billionaire that can function on fifteen minutes sleep and is a master of a trillion skills is the relatable one.
>>
>>87446763
Nobody involved in the making of these movies has any actual faith in the source material, not anymore. They think people won't be willing to accept something that they've already been accepting for three quarters of a century, so they think they have to reinvent the wheel.
>>
>>87456668
>He works a regular job, grew up on a farm, and pines over a woman who doesn't notice him over the other guy. Snyder gets this far more than those who complain that Superman wasn't perfect enough in MoS
Except under Snyder he's not very good at doing his job (which he just gets because reasons), doesn't have to struggle at all to win Lois, and his life on the farm was pretty goddamn miserable and devoid of the formative humanizing traits or friendships that explain his optimistic outlook and character as an adult.
Nice try tho.
>>
File: hombre mejor.jpg (12KB, 280x230px) Image search: [Google]
hombre mejor.jpg
12KB, 280x230px
>>87460600
You're an unfathomable cunt who doesn't know how to read.
>>
>>87460568
>Superman is actually an everyman.
Because he wants to be an everyman he could be traveling the world or the fucking universe if he wanted. That's the problem with Superman, he was born with all the power a person could want and he decides to work at shitty reporter job, and fall in love with a girl who only likes him when he puts on a spandex suit. He's not believable.
>>
>>87446763
fuck movies, when are we going to get a good superman game? The "He's too powerful" excuse doesn't hold up when you realize there are much more powerful bosses and characters in video games.
>>
>>87460570
>>reinvent the wheel
I hate this. If you watch the behind the scenes or making of videos, you see these assholes trying to interpret or change a character that was fine as it was. I like a fallible Superman that's essentially a nice guy trying to do right, not a messiah that can't wear shorts because some Hollywood fop thinks its 'unrealistic'.

Snyder's comment about that really triggered my autism. It's proof that the people in charge have no idea what they're doing.
>>
>>87446763
no Superman sucks.
>>
>>87460640
What's so non-everyman about not living up to your full potential and focusing on personal goals in one place?
>>
>>87448818
>>87446975
It's so easy to do as well, all they have to do is come up with some dumb reason why he lost his powers and then have you get them back Metroid style.

They could even go a step further and let you change which powers you get back based on how you spec and the actions you take, like you could eventually end up as Superman Blue or even that weird thermal powered Superman, perhaps even a Bizarro.

the city could have a health bar, you could fly around helping to put it back together or leave it destroyed, etc.

they just have to have some imagination
>>
>>87460640
>Because he wants to be an everyman he could be traveling the world or the fucking universe if he wanted.
So could Bruce Wayne but he wants to dress up as a bat and punch criminals and we think that's believable more than a guy that wants to be a reporter becoming a reporter.
>>
>>87449856
Disneyshills instant triggering as always.
>>
>>87460625
Do better. The guy that 'gets it' fucked up in the execution. The execution is how the theory is showcased.

I don't want a perfect savior Superman; I just want one that's well adjusted (or "alpha" to use the 4chan parlance) enough to not be bullied, to make out with Lana Lang as a teenager, and that wouldn't let his dad die because he's scared of what ifs. That shouldn't be too much to ask for.
>>
>>87460640
>Because he wants to be an everyman he could be traveling the world or the fucking universe if he wanted.
So could you. Why aren't you an astronaut?
Some people just have small dreams.
>>
>>87460765
Bruce has mental problems, and difficulty dealing with loss, Superman doesn't, he wants to help people because he wants, and he does so by punching mugglers even though he could be using his powers to save humanity more effectivily. In the end Superman is just a damn alien who gets off on appearing moraly superior to humans.
>>
>>87460568
The first one is boring as fuck, the other is interesting.
>>
>>87460817
Because I have never put effort on studiyng, and I'm a useless ,cowardly neet. Superman was born Super Smart, Super Handsome, Super Strong and a whole lot of other Super Things, If I didn't need to put any effort to become an astrounaut I would already be one.
>>
>>87460806
No he doesn't.
>>
>>87446763
>Why can't we get a good Superman movie?
I think Superman is probably the worst concept for a superhero ever ...
>>
>>87460819
>>87460855
God I wish Kill Bill part 2 never came out. It's created a whole generation of you types.

Look, Clark identifies as human. Post Crisis, he doesn't even learn he was an alien until he's like 16 or so. So his formative years is him being a small time, small town, human kid. As a result, he has small town human values, and small town human dreams.

And again, this only ever seems to be an issue with Superman which is what I don't get. We know for a fact that if Flash were *really* motivated there would never be anything bad happening to anyone ever again. Kingdom Come shows us that. Why does he get a pass? Why is Batman getting a pass for BEING BATMAN instead of using his batarang budget to, I dunno, gentrify the slums producing all the criminals? Why isn't Wonder Woman leading the amazons to invade muslim countries?

Superman is the only cape that gets grief for respecting shit like free will or actually trying to have a normal life and it's fucking stupid.
>>
>>87457858
BvS also, and Superman 3, fuck millennial scum we liked that movie.
>>
>>87460919
>this only ever seems to be an issue with Superman which is what I don't get
No, I have an issue with every superhero, I mean it's super stupid to be handed godlike powers and decide to put on a tight spandex suit and fight crime when you could do anything else.
>>
>>87460919
Plus if they were dealing with problems by real solutions there'be Watchmen-Flashpoint thing.
>>
>>87446763
Because directors always want to portray him as a hero even though he is a villain
>>
>>87460990
Lex, please.
>>
>>87457858
Superman 2 is a gaping asshole of a movie.
>>
>>87460919
>Post crisis is the only continuity ever
>>
>>87460532
Hey look, it's someone who has never read a Superman comic book. By those standards Batman is just a generic emo boy who wants mommy and daddy's love.
>>
>>87461592
>Batman is just a generic emo boy who wants mommy and daddy's love.
He is. I don't get your point, my post don't adresses Batman because this is a Superman thread.
>>
>>87460532
>t.characterfag
>>
>>87460640
Hey, you tend want the things you don't have. And it's not like he doesn't travel the world and the universe already.
>>
>>87461592
Batman > Superman: "It's five times harder for Batman to do anything which Superman takes for granted on a daily basis, yet he often does it a hell of a lot better."
>>
>>87455841
Yeah he does. The one thing he doesn't get is the reason Superman doesn't kill (he projects his own way of learning on to Superman). Everything else is done perfectly.
>>
>>87460940
BvS especially.
"Everyone hates me
My mother is kidnapped
There's an ultimatum: kill Batman or my mother dies
Still, I will strive to be a hero."
>>
>>87459264
>DBZ tier action.
Are you seriously claiming that the guy from ACTION COMICS shouldn't have a movie that has action in it? Are you insane? Every single incarnation of Superman has had action stories. You really don't get the character and I'm glad you will never have a chance to ruin him.
>>
>>87462788
That is the whole problem, isn't it? We don't get at any point WHY he strives to be a hero. He just does. I mean Snyderfans complain that people want a "perfect Superman" but Snyderman is actually way more perfect, while ironically being a fuckup.

Why does Superman help people? Because his parents instilled good values in him and taught him to be selfless. Why does Snyder's Superman do it? It's not because of his parents, we never see them pushing him in that direction. So what's the source of his altruism? The movies don't give one. It's inherent in him. He just wants to help people and that's it.

And that's part of the problem. His altruism always feels fake because it doesn't derive from anything we see in the movies. Superman is supposed to be the reflection of our ideals and we as humans can achieve if we adhere to our morals. Snyderman is just good completely independently of us.
>>
>>87463047
>We don't get at any point WHY he strives to be a hero. He just does.
Man of Steel.

>I mean Snyderfans complain that people want a "perfect Superman" but Snyderman is actually way more perfect, while ironically being a fuckup.
Perfect personality in an imperfect world. This is the proper way to do Superman.

>Because his parents instilled good values in him and taught him to be selfless. Why does Snyder's Superman do it? It's not because of his parents, we never see them pushing him in that direction. So what's the source of his altruism?
We do in Man of Steel.

>It's inherent in him. He just wants to help people and that's it.
This might sound crazy, but it would be more inspirational if this were true (unfortunately it's not in the DCEU). If Superman helped people solely because "it's the right thing to do" rather than because his parents raised him right, it would show that anyone has the capacity for good, no matter what. It would especially be good that he has so much power and uses it to help people instead of enslave them.

>Superman is supposed to be the reflection of our ideals and we as humans can achieve if we adhere to our morals.
Pa Kent had just as much positive influence on Superman as Jor-El. Superman even says it was a "dream of a farmer from Kansas" in BvS.
>>
>>87463027
Not the same anon, but have you even read any Superman outside of Jurgens' or Lobdell's shit?
>>
>>87463027
Silver age Superman were far from action stories, dumbass. Even Bronze age and late 80s had a lot smaller stakes.
>>
>>87463557
Silver Age Superman is my favorite but even that had action scenes. To say that a Superman movie should be devoid of action scenes is to take away an essential part of the character.

>had a lot smaller stakes.
Stakes aren't the issue: you could still have cool action scenes with smaller stakes. It doesn't have to always be two gods able to blow up the earth with their fists. But the other guy was saying that it should NEVER be that. Not only that, but how can you have only non-action stories in a Superman movie? It would leave the audience bored.
>>
>>87463339
>We do in Man of Steel.
No we don't. We objectively do not.

>This might sound crazy, but it would be more inspirational if this were true (unfortunately it's not in the DCEU). If Superman helped people solely because "it's the right thing to do" rather than because his parents raised him right, it would show that anyone has the capacity for good, no matter what. It would especially be good that he has so much power and uses it to help people instead of enslave them.
An alien being with encoded superior morality does not sound terribly inspirational in regards to humanity to me.

I mean this was the point of the very original Superman. And then they changed it. Because it sucked.
>>
>>87464118
>No we don't. We objectively do not.
Go watch the movie.

>An alien being with encoded superior morality
It doesn't have to be one way or another. He could have gotten his ethics by just thinking about it or reading Aristotle or something. There doesn't have to be a "kryptonian moral imprint." It's because you think it has to be one way or the other, but it doesn't. There's always another way.

>I mean this was the point of the very original Superman.
I like Golden Age Superman too. It doesn't mean that that should be the only version.
>>
>>87464362
That movie is trash. Bvs is pretty mediocre, but still watchable, unlike Man of IHOP
>>
>>87464012
The action in silver age was very minute to non existent. Even any action was irrelevant to the bigger plot. I can pinpoint issues in silver age Superman which doesn't have any action. All star Superman was very little action. Joe Casey's Superman run had very little action. Superman adventures had issues with no action. I don't mind action as long as it isn't Snyder level or just a pure action movie, but Superman with no action has been done, and it can be done again.
>>
>>87446763
Actually no, Superman is one of the easiest heros to portray on screen. The problem is that the people in charge of making the movies have decided that Synder, a guy who clearly doesn't understand or even like the character, is in charge of how he is portrayed. So we get a shitty grimdark supes with a retard Jon Kent for a father. A supes who gets his bitch ass owned by Kike Lex Luthor and cries like a bitch when Batfleck spanks him.

If you want to see good supes, go watch the old donner movies or even superman returns.
>>
>>87450943
>lol fuck progression just give me the rocket launcher and infinite ammo cheat now!
Kill yourself.
>>
>>87464836
All Star Superman is masturbation material for "REAL SUPERMAN FANS", you know the retards who see Superman as the father figure they don't have in their pathetic lives, and it's overrated to hell, most of the Silver Age stories also suck, they are on the so ridiculously bad it's good level. A story about an all powerfull man who doesn't fight it's stupid.
>>
>>87464488
No, they are both masterpieces.
>>
>>87460883

That's weird because the word superhero is named after him. He is the concept for a superhero, the secret identity, rogues gallery, weird powers, fantastical origin etc all come from him. Literally would be no DC no Marvel no /co/ without him pleb.
>>
>>87464925
Plus All-star is about Superman decided to cure cancer only when Lex made his death unavoidable.
>>
>>87460640
These are the kind of moronic opinions that give us shit movies like MOS and BvS. Superman is incredibly believable, you just need to be something other than a complete idiot with a superiority complex to grasp his personality and motivations.
>>
>>87463479
Have you?
>>
>>87464964
>his personality and motivations
Oh please enlighten me anon, tell me about Superman's personality and motivations!
>>
>>87464945
>secret identity, rogues gallery
Those aren't good things, a superhero with a rogue gallery isn't doing a good job. And I'm tired of secret indentity drama.
>>
>>87465000
Read the fucking comics shithead. You are on /co/ after all. Oh I forgot, you can't be bothered to actually read comics because you already know everything about everything. Like I said, idiots with superiority complexes will not understand him. Normal people get superman just fine.
>>
>>87465059
>Normal people get superman just fine.
That they do. People have been calling Superman boring for a long time. And that's why his popularity keeps going down the drain.
>>
>>87464362
>Go watch the movie.
I did. Did you?

>>87464362
>It doesn't have to be one way or another. He could have gotten his ethics by just thinking about it or reading Aristotle or something. There doesn't have to be a "kryptonian moral imprint." It's because you think it has to be one way or the other, but it doesn't. There's always another way.
Well then they'd have the obligation to show that to us. I have zero interest in filling up the blanks in their writing by myself.
>>
>>87465421
Pa Kent literally tells Superman to become Superman but to do it later. Come on.

>Well then they'd have the obligation to show that to us. I have zero interest in filling up the blanks in their writing by myself.
I was talking hypothetically, as in, that's how I would do it. But funnily enough, now that I think of it he WAS reading Plato's Republic in MoS as a child wasn't he? That's all about justice.
>>
>>87464925
Fuck off Snyder. All Star is GOAT.
>>
>>87465825
>All Star is GOAT.
Sure it is. So go masturbate to your alien overlord some more.
>>
>>87465765
>Pa Kent literally tells Superman to become Superman but to do it later. Come on.
No he doesn't. Bro, you just made that up.

He tells him he's got important choices to make and that he should make them on his own, but he consistently pushes him in the opposite direction.

And even if he did literally tell him to become Superman, that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about teaching him to be a good person. We never see that. Clark is already a good person from the first chronological scene.
>>
Superman only works on TV.
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.