[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

disney's live action Beauty and the Beast changes Belle's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

In the animated film, Belle's father Maurice is an nventor and Belle is considered unusual in town for her obsession with books.

In the live action adaptation, Maurice is a traveling merchant (as in the book) and, new for the film, he makes music boxes based on his travels to send to Belle back home, while Belle is an inventor--specifically, she invented a type of washing machine to do her laundry, which gave her the free time she uses to read.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/02/beauty-and-the-beast-emma-watson-kevin-kline
>>
Belle is an autist.
>>
I wonder if this means Gaston won't say "crazy ol' Maurice"? Will the set up for the song Gaston be different? Will Gaston still try to have Maurice locked up in an insane aslyum?
>>
I mean change it to inventions all you want she's still gonna be Hermione
>>
>>87444853

but now she's the crazy inventor too so maybe they'll try to lock her up (patriarchy)
>>
>>87445174
Probably.

>Marry me or I'll lock you up

5 year old me who wanted Gaston to win would love it
>>
>>87444853
Crazy ol' Maurice still works if he shows up ranting about a Beast that kidnapped his daughter.
>>
>>87444709
Thanks Jews. Making maleficent the good guy and the king the bad guy wasn't enough. What's next? 101 dalmatians movie where cruella is actually forced by the male dog owner to kill the dogs because he hates his wife, who he's been cheating on?
>>
Belle is a shitty character anyway. Might as well try to add some redeeming qualities.
>>
>>87444709

It would better explain why she's both considered odd and why she wants more than this "provincial life".
>>
But doing laundry is fun.
>>
>>87445506
For you. Anyone else can tell why an 18th century girl who reads all day is considered weird
>>
>>87445506
Yep. I think it's a good change. The whole "she's weird because she READS" works for the cartoon but for the longer film they needed something a little more substantial.
>>
>>87444853
Nah. Gaston's gonna be a good guy this time around who respects women and kills the Beast for kidnapping her and raping her.
>>
>>87445529
what the fuck
>>
>>87445555
>Anyone else can tell why an 18th century girl who reads all day is considered weird

Women were expected to read. They were just discouraged from reading novels (unless they were moralistic "teach people a lesson" novels) or much of anything aside from books on raising children, motherhood, proper etiquette, morality, etc. But it would have been strange for a peasant girl to read this much, since she should be doing labor and chores instead.

However, "Belle reads the wrong kind of books" or "Belle reads too much" is too grey for most audiences to get, so for the animated film they just went with reading in general being strange.

I think this is a more realistic angle. It's not that she reads--but it's that she invented something (definitely not appropriate for a woman) that specifically allowed her not to do the tedious, painful labor that the other women in town have to do every day in order to give herself more free time to read books. So not only did she do something that wasn't appropriate for an 18th century woman, she did something that gives her the luxury someone in a different social class on top of it.
>>
>>87445454

her character never mattered, it was her compromising that was the entire point of the fucking story.
>>
>>87445662

so in a way, it kind of makes it steampunkish
>>
>>87445662
It's not that it's not appropriate. No one is gonna tell her she can't invent. It's that it's almost impossible.
>Sexist
No, that's just the way it is. There's been a handful of female inventors, and all they've done is make stuff like the ironing board. Is Belle inventing a better way to wash clothes weird? No. Is it probable, just barely. Is it inappropriate, no you idiot.
>>
TFW you realize the sung lyrics to a Disney song masked the awesome instrument work underneath it. It gets amazing on the "I want adventure" part (0:35 roughly), and stunning on the "I wanted more than I can tell" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz7mt1QrtQo
>>
That's dumb. I mean, I thought it was pretty smart that they had "girl who likes to read" and the audience was just supposed to understand why that would be weird but now they're making her a clear genius autist so we can say "oh look, she's so quirky"
>>
File: 027.jpg (46KB, 624x364px) Image search: [Google]
027.jpg
46KB, 624x364px
Why? It's a needless change. If you wanted to make Belle into an action girl then fucking the later portions of the story that Disney cut out.

Where when Belle is allowed to return to see her Father she lingers a bit too long and the curse causes the Beast to be sent to the fucking Red Sea where he's force to do battle to the death with a fucking Sea Serpent.

So she fucking tracks him down and uses magic she's been told to turn him back into a human, but the magic also turns the Sea Serpent back into a human too, who was a fucking witch princess who proceeded to fly off with the Now Prince Beast and tried to marry him, only for Belle to track them down and restore his memory from the witch princesses spell right before the witch marries him.
>>
>>87445863
far too metal for children
>>
File: 1394228195457.jpg (95KB, 500x475px) Image search: [Google]
1394228195457.jpg
95KB, 500x475px
>feminists are mad about this because it implies Belle didn't have a real career by being a homemaker
>others are mad about this because it's TOO feminist
>>
>>87445892
>far too metal for American children
FTFY
>>
>>87445917
You're from an oldfag from mass effect general aren't you?
>>
oh man i expected so much worse from the reactions. that's nothing, it's fine
>>
>>87445917
its the EIGHTEENTH CENTURY.
>>
>>87445826

You guys don't think this music is awesome?
>>
>>87446085
THERE'S A TALKING CANDLE AND A MAGIC ROSE
>>
>>87445917
The point is that DON'T FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKEN

You knew everything you needed from Belle in the original. You didn't need to KNOW what she did for work because it WASN'T important.

We were told what WAS important. That she was well read and independent. That was ALL she needed. Whatever fucking job she had wasn't important because the crux of the story wasn't the fucking trade she was doing, it was her personality.

This "inventor" shit is tacked on and unnecessary. It's information we don't need for the story and just raises more questions.

How is her being an inventor going to be part of the story now? Is she going to build a giant fucking iron man suit and fight Gaston to save the Beast?
>>
>>87445793
>It's not that it's not appropriate. No one is gonna tell her she can't invent.
>I have no understanding of 18th century society but let me tell you how this wasn't inappropriate in 18th century society

>Sexist

I didn't say sexist. What are you talking about?
>>
>>87446115
This isn't even "fixing" anything. It's just adding something else to Belle's character and to her apparent "weirdo girl" status. It is literally not detrimental in any way, at all, and people getting mad over it are idiots.
>>
File: 263.jpg (68KB, 620x632px) Image search: [Google]
263.jpg
68KB, 620x632px
>>87446202
>It is literally not detrimental in any way

Adds filler that takes away valuable screentime and budget to talk about her "inventing" stuff that could have been used for more relevant scenes or more pertinent character development

Also has a chance to be shoehorned into climatic moments of the film that don't need it

It's detrimental. Just not in big flashy ways. In small annoying ways.

A story like this should be concise because the more you think during this kind of the story, the more things start to fall apart in your ability to believe the fantasy.
>>
>>87445442
>Cruella's after the Dalmations because she wants Anita to come after her.
>>
>>87446276
You're doing a lot of assuming there anon.

>A story like this should be concise because the more you think during this kind of the story, the more things start to fall apart in your ability to believe the fantasy.
Belle inventing an 18th century version of a washing machine is the most believable thing about a story with a cursed prince, talking silverware and a magic rose.

I just wish people would wait before jumping to conclusions about how this is going to ruin the magic and themes of the movie. If Belle is able to contribute a little more because she's an inventor, I don't see what the big deal is.
>>
>>87445442
>Making maleficent the good guy and the king the bad guy

That doesn't really excuse the shit she did
>>
>>87446355
>Belle inventing an 18th century version of a washing machine is the most believable thing about a story with a cursed prince, talking silverware and a magic rose.

Your grasp on storytelling aesthetics is pathetic and you're making just as many assumptions because you believe this won't negatively effect the film despite not seeing the film your self.
>>
>>87445174
That'd be neat.
>>
>>87446400
I'll admit I don't see how it could negatively impact the film, and that's probably because we have different ideas of what could do that. I don't necessarily think it'll have a huge positive impact, either. I don't think it will really change things for better or for worse. It's just that the "omg she's a weirdo because she READS" shit is an overdone trope and making Belle an inventor would be something different.
>>
Why didnt she just make a machine to read books for her and zap the stories into her brain while she washes dishes?
>>
>>87446576
Why didn't she just build a gundam and fight Gaston with it?
>>
>>87444709
>>87445562
Except that women are NOT inventors. Disney as per usual celebrates women as everything they've NEVER been in all their goddamn media. And sheeples buy into it.
>>
>>87446589

at least if they took their absurd agenda to its final conclusion, we could all enjoy it.
>>
>>87446682
Hey now.
Being inventive regarding the work you have to do on a daily basis is pretty common.
She fucking invented some kind of clockwork washing machine powered by pedals, not the fucking combustion engine.
It's like the fucking Iron Board, or the Mop, or the Broom.
>>
>>87446860

On one hand as a story telling device to explain how she has so much time to read it fixes a problem with the original story that most people never felt was a problem, like it was a solution in search of a problem but at least I get that.

But I also think it detracts but the original story because why would the ultimate chad want to marry a crazy bitch? Maurice was the inventor and the town thought he was kooky. its going to be Twilight all over again where the boring bitch is fawned over by everyone.

I could see how being different could be a sell because she was beautiful and intelligent and guys back then would like that for it would be interesting.

so I get both sides of it..and in a way if they make it about a family of inventors and she's just like her dad and invents shit I guess that would still fit but its going to come down to how they handle it because honestly, Disney already bastardized the original story and it feels like they're doing it even more.

I think also a lot of people liked the movie as kids and are going to have strong opinions about them fucking with the soup
>>
>>87446951
>he doesn't know why Gaston wants to marry Belle
>even though it's literally spelled out mutliple times throughout the film

Welp
>>
>>87447329

No, I understand why he does in the 2d one.

But if she suddenly becomes as kooky as her dad was, why would he is my point.

Sorry I didn't elaborate but the town viewed her dad as insane so their big story idea was to make her also insane.
>>
>>87447717
>But if she suddenly becomes as kooky as her dad was, why would he is my point.

What? You know the entire opening song is about how she's a fucking weirdo, right?
>>
>>87445662
>Women were expected to read.
Women were expected to do chores and cook and clean. Which they did. Belle's hobby set her apart enough already.
>>
>>87445573
He should kill Belle and rape The Beast. The heat of their love will reanimate her, so she can live on as a servant in their new castle
>>
File: 1424604472083.jpg (33KB, 353x474px) Image search: [Google]
1424604472083.jpg
33KB, 353x474px
>>87444709
>A disney live action movie that tries to mix two different source materials and just ends up being a very average movie with no real oompf

Oh well. At least it can't be as bad as Maleficent
>>
Where is the butthurt
>>
>>87447717
>But if she suddenly becomes as kooky as her dad was, why would he is my point.

No, you still don't get it. Everyone in the opening number sings about how fucking weird she is. Even Lefou is confused as to why Gaston wants to marry her because she's weird.

He wants her because she's the most beautiful girl in town. Her reading and reputation are of no consequence to him.
>>
>>87448472
>>87448055

I do remember that but it felt like differing orders of 'weird' as in his level of weird was the kind you could get jailed over and she/her character is now on that level for the new movie kind of thing.
>>
>>87444709
Man amerian live action movies are getting more and more autistic today.

Fuck disney, the france did recently a better adaption and based of the source of the beauty and the beast tale.

Beauty and the beast (2014)
>>
>muh STEM
>>
>>87446682
>he believes that because they weren't celebrated women have accomplished nothing except in the last 30 years

do you also believe there were zero women painters during the entirety of the renaissance era? just because they didn't reach davinci levels doesn't mean they didn't exist. belle isn't a famous inventor, just an inventor.
>>
>>87448990
>Twisting hairs THIS much to be right about something
Everyone thought Belle was weird. They thought Maurice was weird. Regardless, Gaston wanted Belle for her beauty. Weird is weird. It doesn't matter if it's because she reads or invents. The town scoffs and Gaston doesn't care because he just wants a trophy wife. It works the same regardless.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.