[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> pissing off the readers is a valid sales tactic > writers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: carolandjessica.jpg (327KB, 905x900px) Image search: [Google]
carolandjessica.jpg
327KB, 905x900px
> pissing off the readers is a valid sales tactic
> writers admitting not reading the back issues of their current run
> admitting these acts in twitter/tumblr/social media without consequences

Anybody with comic book company knowledge willing to share how this is all permitted?

pic unrelated
>>
>Anybody with comic book company knowledge willing to share how this is all permitted?
Because it works.

The publishers will never change their habits because they know that most readers will never change their habits.

Prove them wrong. Vote with your wallet. Spend lots of money on creator-owned comics while spending zero dollars on corporate-owned comics. It's the only way.
>>
>>87437098
OP here

this

but I should have been more specific.

I'm looking for company gossip.

Like how is Bendis not sacked for doing some half-assed work for multiple series week after week?
>>
>>87437121
Because he makes money.
>>
>>87437121
You should be asking why idiots buy them.
No, you should be asking why comics became the domain of so many idiots.
>>
>>87437052
>Anybody with comic book company knowledge willing to share how this is all permitted?

Because comic fans are generally morons and will keep buying the shit that pisses them off. Like how fucking stupid do you have to be?
>Man shitting on your plate
>HAHA LOOK AT THIS RETARD EATING MY SHIT HE JUST KEEPS EATING EVERYBODY LOOK
>Man I hate this and I hate him but I'll just keep eating and maybe it'll get better eventually
>>
>>87437052
It's permitted because the readers don't care. They're like cocaine addicts or something.
>>
File: marvel_trolling.jpg (32KB, 625x295px) Image search: [Google]
marvel_trolling.jpg
32KB, 625x295px
>>87437052
How new are you?
>>
File: marvel_trolling.2.jpg (30KB, 787x288px) Image search: [Google]
marvel_trolling.2.jpg
30KB, 787x288px
>>87438735
>>
File: marvel_trolling.3.jpg (31KB, 786x306px) Image search: [Google]
marvel_trolling.3.jpg
31KB, 786x306px
>>87438743
>>
>>87437121
>Like how is Bendis not sacked for doing some half-assed work for multiple series week after week?
mix of nepotism and the fact the higher ups that could sack him don't understand the industry and just know at one point Bendis was the name in best selling comics.
>>
>>87438759
jesus christ, this cant be legit
>>
>>87439027
Welcome to modern comics
>>
>>87438629
This.
The whales aren't the people critically analyzing and discussing books, they're fucking manchildren who get mad when the character they like has flaws, buy "important" comics and nothing else, and can't deal with change.
>>
File: bendisfuckery.png (84KB, 513x646px) Image search: [Google]
bendisfuckery.png
84KB, 513x646px
>>87437052
fucking hell. RIP to all my fav characters in Marvel. I'm burying you and abandoning this fucked up company for good. You were the one who introduced me to comics. And for that I thank you, Marvel. It was nice while it lasted.
>>
>>87437250
Given their current sales not even the idiots are buying them, and plenty of store owners are talking about Marvel going down the shitter.
>>
>>87439047
No no, that's the dying generation. See, the funny thing is, Apathy HAS struck, look at their sales, they're declining all year, the fact is people do not in fact give a shit anymore. Oh, some of the diehard get mad, but not enough to be profitable anymore. Civil War II has been a fucking embarrassment of a comic, the books they were pushing like Hellcat, Mockingbird and Squirrel Girl are doing awful.

That's why they're on twitter trying to piss people off, they want the old audience back, and Marvel's so fucking stupid they think the only way to get them back is to make them angry.

The thing is the "New" fans (spoiler: there are no new fans) don't want to be pissed off by comics, they want them to be safe and huggable and everything they were promised. So when Marvel is in a sales slump since these faggots barely buy books, they try the "Make audience mad" strategy. Only for the old audience to go "Don't care anymore, do whatever" and the new audience to go "ZOMG MARVEL IS SEXIST NO BUYING BOOKS (I already didn't buy)"
>>
>>87439027
look at the first image
>>87438735
>when we're doing soomething that's embraced by the fans the numbers are always soft

Wyy would they try to make something good when they know it's not going to sell?
King's Vision was great, Marvel tried to promote it any way they could, even giving out free copies with other better selling comics.
The result is that it kept selling like shit.
>>
>>87440082
That's because of trade-waiting and the knowledge that the book had a set length.

Why buy floppies if you know the series has a definite endpoint and you can just pick up a collected edition?
>>
File: bendising.jpg (74KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
bendising.jpg
74KB, 800x600px
>>87437052
Can somebody update this. Not just pet projects but characters he was entrusted with.
>>
>>87437098
I have been. I've been specifically pirating Marvel's shit titles and buying floppies/preordering trades of new ones.
>>
>>87440132
Anon, you can find Bendis' complete bibliography online, there's no need to reproduce it.
>>
>>87437052
Further proof that being a comicbook fan is summary execution worthy, along with waifufaggots and people who like shitty sidecuts.
>>
>>87440132
>Projects that Brian Micheal Bendis ruined for fun
>Ultimate Spider-man by Brian Michael Bendis
>>
The problem is that fans have build deeply personal emotional tools based on these mainstream characters and stories, and that was a mistake. Popular comic book characters are no replacement for mythologies, philosophies, ideals, etc. From their inception, they were meant to be cheap and disposable even if a few creators wore their hearths on their fists). Popular comic creators want them loose and flexible like that so that they can change them to respond to market forces.

Mainstream comics were always a product, rather than the modern scripture some fans seem to belive they are. Go read some independent comics if you want genuine opinions.
>>
File: IMG_0370.jpg (59KB, 750x427px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0370.jpg
59KB, 750x427px
Reminder of the actual disdain for their audience
>>
>>87440313
While I can see reasoning behind your comparison, I don't think it really applies in this situation. Most comic fans are totally aware that comics are products and subject to things like retcons and writer interpretations of characters. In my experience, it's actually mainstream fans with tertiary knowledge of comics who apply that kind of deified status to comic characters. Whenever a popular character's dies or a dramatic change in his character in such a way that it makes headlines, it's always people who know shit all about comics who are complaining about it. Only an idiot would think that Cap Hydra is going to be permanent.

Comic fans aren't afraid of change so long as those changes make sense and are well executed. This is why DC is topping the charts and why fans like me have been pirating the latest summer event so I can laugh at it.
>>
>>87440587
Context.
>>
>>87441088
Spencer was talking about how the 'trolls' felt like they were winning because Rebirth was doing so well and "diverse" comics weren't. He then said if people bought those titles they'd stick around, to which twitter got angry at him for saying and he had to clarify that he hated said trolls and wanted them to lose.

This was going on during the whole harassment thing. He made leaps and jumps and equated the success of Rebirth and people who like DCs current books to the same people who harassed Cain.

So, yeah, he wants the people actually buying the comics to 'lose' and be replaced by whatever new audience he thinks Marvel is getting. Nevermind that perpetuating the "one or the other" mindset is stupid anyway.
>>
This is sad. This is just so sad and disheartening.
>>
>>87439900
Learn to recognize a joke you fucking retard.
>>
>>87437052
Because it all sells. It all sells because idiots like you think that their shit is all there is to comics. Just read better comics.
>>
>>87439027
>this company can't possibly be making decisions based on their profit margins! I just can't believe it!
>>
>>87440691
>Comic fans aren't afraid of change
>This is why DC is topping the charts
Yes, because nothing says change quite like going "man, everyone hated all these changes we made so let's just back-peddle and rehash popular things from the past."

Unless you seem to think replacing New 52 Superman with post-crisis Superman while bringing back Dan Jurgens to do Reign of the Supermen 2: Jurgens' Revenge is somehow some bold and innovative move.
>>
>>87441252
He outright said that the people who liked Rebirth were conservative racists because they weren't into his badly paced "Sam will be the true Captain America who will defeat the evil Steve Rogers twice!" mess.

Cain's harassment was exaggerated and used cynically as a tool by Marvel to sell t-shirts. She even clarified that she only blocked like 8 people. It is fucked up, its absolutely fucked up, but not in the way that's being told right now.
>>
>>87442450
It really is.
>>
>>87444588
>Feminist writer reduced to distresses damsel by company she works for.
The irony is palpable, but disgusting.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.