[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What schools are best for an animation major? If your going to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: fUlruZIj.png (46KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
fUlruZIj.png
46KB, 512x512px
What schools are best for an animation major?
If your going to school for animation how do you like where your at?
I know Calarts is a meme, and expensive as shit, but is it still a good school?

General art school thread, talk about your experiences.
>>
None.

Teach yourself.

If you're desperate for connections, try signing up on various art sites. Showcase your work. Get out of your mother's basement.
>>
The two best as far as connections getting made in the industry goes are Calarts and that one New York school. Both are hilariously expensive, as are most art schools.

If you're going to school to actually learn about art because you're not any good at it you're probably not going to make it.

Like that other guy said, art websites and showcasing porotfolios and actually talking to relevant people in the business will get you way farther than a piece of paper saying you can make images move.
>>
>>87423845
Go to Sheridan. Not as prestegious as Cal Arts but generally a better teaching staff.

I could write a book on the problems with Cal Arts.

You could always be a psychopath and try and apply for a French animation course.
>>
Sheridan, Cal Arts, SCUD, UCLA, SVA

Art Center College of Design is a good one if you want to learn production/character design and storyboard stuff.
>>
>>87425280
I'll also add Animation Mentor as a viable option, if you can learn that way. It's an online school. I tried it, and it wasn't for me personally. I prefer in person learning, but I know some people who got a lot out of it.
>>
I'm graduating in july on an animation degree in the UK, absolutely awful would not recommend doing a degree at all if you live in the UK I even had friends who went to different uni's before the one I'm at and they switched to mine because theirs was bad also, it's just a giant scam here they teach you nothing but promise they will next term, no idea what its like in the US though I'd have loved to been able to see what it's like
>>
>>87427906
Graphic designbro here, I'm not at a specifically art related school but a traditional university. Our animation program is notoriously shit despite the studio art and design programs being pretty damn good. I've heard nothing but bad news about it.
>>
Anyone who is recommending SVA as a school to go to: You're just plain wrong. The skill level at that college is insultingly low.
>>
>>87424037
I agree and disagree with this guy. You can get by teaching yourself, but there's a huge amount of things to learn in animation and it can be difficult to figure out what exactly what to learn and where to get the resources to learn it. Getting a degree definitely isn't cheap, but schools provide a lot of helpful resources. Software, student discounts, costly scripts/tutorials/models/etc that you'd otherwise have to pay for, and teachers/peers to learn from and ask for help when you need it. And while most companies would rather judge you on your portfolio, a degree is definitely gonna help get your foot in the door.
>>
I'm just teaching myself at this point. My designs just look like ass though. The animation classes I have available only teach fucking flash software, which is ass. Just teach yourself and test animate/storyboard something. It also helps to be really good at writing, which many professors praise me for. So I guess that's going for me I guess.
>>
>>87428653
yeah I'm at a traditional too, I think its just the animation departments are always shit because they have people who aren't even still animators teaching and because the whole degree is revolved around making film festival films which is what I hear from every uni, its just boring as fuck and they expect you to already be a pro level animator when they don't even teach animation in sixthform
>>
Teach yourself

That's how Mike Judge and The Brothers Chap got animation jobs
>>
>>87430672
That doesn't always work for everyone. I personally prefer classroom environments.

Different people learn in different ways.
>>
The value in going to a school like CalArts isn't as much in the actual education your getting it's in the alumni network and the people who will vouch for the reputation of the school. This sounds like it's a disqualification of going to a school like this but in a business as clique-y and connections-based as animation (or any TV/Film/entertainment medium) going to a place with an impressive alumni circle is key.
>>
File: animwork.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
animwork.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
Animation Workshop in Denmark seems to be pretty good. At least they make good bachelor films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkAYze6ae18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1qS0p-Lms
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Otaq2tmNMM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV5w262XvCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4JYBhq-92I
>>
>>87425169
>I could write a book on the problems with Cal Arts.

name three.
>>
>>87425169
what makes a French animation course psychopathic?
>>
>>87428982
Not to mention teaching yourself requires a higher level of discipline compared to going to a school to learn. You may not have that level coming out of high school.
>>
>>87423845
>For faggots who want to get a job through nepotism
CalArts
>For art directors hiring talent
Sheridan and Gobelins.
>>
>>87436660
>Sheridan and Gobelins.
>The CalArts of Canada and France
>Not SCAD
>Not Ringling

Memes aside, they're all pretty good desu.
>>
>>87423845
Les Gobelins.
But good luck, the entrance exam is reputed to be ruthless.
>>
>>87424037
I live in the attic though
>>
>>87424037
This, also John K's blog.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.