[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>DC attempts to up their cosmic and mystical game >combines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 6

File: 4481236-quintessence[1].jpg (105KB, 600x930px) Image search: [Google]
4481236-quintessence[1].jpg
105KB, 600x930px
>DC attempts to up their cosmic and mystical game
>combines the two, with cosmic technology and magic overlapping so slightly while remaining separate
>a new Justice League-esque team is assembled to handle threats entering the solar system and cooperates with the Lantern cores
>the members are cosmic and magical heroes that people are asking for but couldn't last as a solo title, perhaps (Icon, Doctor Fate, one of the Earth Lanterns and more ?)
>Quintessence is brought back and works in the background for a greater good

Could it work ? It doesn't feel like DC has anything of note going for them as far as space and magic goes at the moment beyond perhaps Green Lantern Core.
>>
>>87296159

What the fuck is this and who drew that Ganthet?
>>
>>87296159
Fate is in a comic right now. Also there is Constantine doing stuff with Swamp Thing for more magic. But I don't recommend that book, last issue got all kinds of shit wrong and could tell the writer knows nothing about anything.
>>
File: wassup darkseid 1.jpg (141KB, 658x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wassup darkseid 1.jpg
141KB, 658x1024px
>>87296159
>reminder that Joker wielding the powers of a 5th-dimensional imp caused the Quintessence (and Darkseid) to be reduced to the level of gibbering idiots re-enacting a beer commercial
>>
File: wassup darkseid 2.jpg (265KB, 572x883px) Image search: [Google]
wassup darkseid 2.jpg
265KB, 572x883px
>>87296297
>>
>>87296326
>>87296297
The Quintessence was a weird time in DC. Even Morrison doesn't touch that when he is explaining the DC universe.
>>
>>87296422
Yeah it was retarded as fuck. Similar to Illuminati in Marvel.
>>
>>87296208
>>87296422
>>87296461
Just nuke this whole board.
>>
>>87296422
>>87296461
What's wrong about them ? They're a shadowy group of powerful beings from different places working for a common goal, except they're good guys.
>>
>>87296478
Wait, someone is actually upset about people not liking the Quintessence?
>>
>>87296518
The members are just all over the place and really should be doing other things than be with each other. Like Zeus and Ganthet run in completely different spheres, are on very different power levels and both have their own things they need to take care of like the corps and the pantheon.
>>
>>87296518
>>87296594
Oh and like the other guy said. It was an instance of DC hurriedly trying to copy Marvel.
>>
>>87296625
>>87296594
Whoops meant to quote >>87296510
>>
>>87296594
What is Zeus' power level anyway ? How does he compare to the All Father and Darkseid ?
>>
>>87296625
I think Quintessence came before Illuminati. Still, both just as dumb.
>>
>>87296654
Kirby made the New Gods as the new powerful deities that are here to replace the gods of old on their decline. So generally New Gods are depicted as much more powerful than gods like Zeus etc.
>>
>>87296654
Zeus is one of the many earth gods. Darkseid is the god of cosmos.
>>
>>87296510
>except they're good guys.

They retconned World War Hulk already?
>>
>>87296712
Also doesn't Highfather use Zeus as fuel to power his champion Captain Marvel? Like the Z in Shazam is for Zeus.
>>
File: ds-13.jpg (52KB, 458x235px) Image search: [Google]
ds-13.jpg
52KB, 458x235px
>>87296712
>Darkseid is

Fixed.
>>
>>87296594
Ganthet at the time had literally nothing to do as Oa was blown up and Kyle was the entirety of the Corps. Once Pieface remade Oa he spent more time getting things done.
>>
>>87296801
>Highfather
Fuck I meant The Wizard. I'm too tired.
>>
>>87296806
Darkseid Is

Get it right.
>>
>>87296773
I was talking about Quintessence. At least... half of them are good-ish.
>>
>>87296846
The problem with this fart group is that it gets a bunch of assholes onto a room to talk about some great coming danger or something and then do nothing. Zeus has never been much of a player in the DCU and it's silly to mix him in with the likes of Ganthet or Phantom Stranger. The group never amounted to anything.
>>
File: IMG_5256.jpg (109KB, 395x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5256.jpg
109KB, 395x600px
>>87296159
>DC attempts to up their cosmic and mystical game
>combines the two

I liked it when the New 52 re-assigned the initials of "Shazam" to existing cosmic DC characters
You're losing the tone of the old Captain Marvel stories, but tightening the relationships of a diverse cast of characters has its appeal.
>>
>>87296893
You could up his game in Rebirth. Make him sort of the DC's Odin I guess ? Better than wasting him.
>>
>>87296927
Christ, I totally forgot about Captain Marvel getting a new pantheon, they looked like total losers.
>>
>>87296940
It's not all about power levels, buddy. And my point was that Zeus has historically not been used much as a character in the DCU.
>>
>>87296159

Johns killed Magical DC, and it wont' came back until he forgets it exists.

Some people fail to understand how fucked the magic was
>>
>>87296957
>the father of Darkseid
>a death god to Martians
>a bunch of losers

You got some shit taste son.

>>87297098
>Johns killed Magical DC

Johns started the Sentinels of Magic though, in what way did he kill magic other than doing nothing with Captain Marvel/Shazam?
>>
>>87297480
>Johns started the Sentinels of Magic

We used to have the LORDS OF CHAOS and ORDER. And Shazam used to be a UNIVERSAL tier character.
>>
>>87297550
>We used to have the LORDS OF CHAOS and ORDER.

You wanna explain how he killed those concepts? He used them heavily in his JSA run with Hector figuring out who he was.
>>
>>87297571
>He used them heavily in his JSA run with Hector figuring out who he was.
Yes. And in new52, he took the central piece of the magic world of DC and turned him into a Habbo.
>>
>>87297727
That still doesn't explain how he killed Magical DC. You can't just make a blanket statement like he killed all magic in DC when the worst he's done is just ignore the Billy/Shazam side of things. You wanna actually blame someone, blame Milligan and Lemire for their work on JLD being absolutely abysmal. But like Didio, Johns is just an easier face to blame.
>>
>>87297787
>Johns is just an easier face to blame.

Well, he had more power than any other writer, and he got rid of the wizard to make room for his moviescript.

He also got rid of the gods. And he is the reason there's no Captain marvel books.
>>
>>87297787
Why blame the writers when editorial told them to make JLD as cape-y as possible?
>>
>>87297857
You're still hung up on Captain Marvel. He's not the only magic character in DC you donut.
>>
>>87297875
>He's not the only magic character in DC you donut.

The Wizard was the center piece of the magic universe.
>>
>>87298098
Maybe for capeshitters such as yourself.
>>
>>87298098
Bullshit, he was a large piece of it for sure but he wasn't the linchpin behind it. Magic existed before he was brought over to DC and it'll continue to exist with his new changes. Shit ain't dead.
>>
>>87298098
Amethyst was bigger than him tbqh
>>
>>87296159
That sounds like an incredibly terrible idea. Cosmic and magic DC are both much bigger than that and benefit from not being homogeneous, as well as commonly breaking from superhero narratives. This idea breaks that completely.
>>
>>87296927
>I liked it when the New 52 re-assigned the initials of "Shazam" to existing cosmic DC characters
Sorry?
I've been out for most of the New 52. What?
>>
>>87297550
>And Shazam used to be a UNIVERSAL tier character.
And that was a big problem, as he'd get trotted out for all sorts of events that would just further degrade the character. Captain Marvel needed to shrink back down in order to do the sort of silly adventures you'd actually expect of the character. Their only fuck up is not making the ongoing after.
>>
>>87300167
During the Shazam one shot, Billy got god powers again but from a new pantheon.
>>
>>87300167
During Darkseid War, for a short time they had Captain Marvel fueled by the New Gods instead of his traditional ones.
>>
>>87300167
Bill got a new pantheon of powers. Same acronym of SHAZAM, just different gods. Some cool, some weird.

Strength of S'ivaa
Fires of H'romneer
Compassion of Anapel
Source Manipulation of Zonuz (who is Yuga Kahn aka Darkseids father)
Boldness of Atë
Lightning of Mamaragan (The Wizards real name now)
>>
>>87300200
>>87300208
>>87300253
Fucking retarded
>>
>>87300208
That was really great and I'm upset they didn't follow up on that.

Though I think there was only like two New Gods in it. The rest were other deities.
>>
>>87298098
No he absolutely isn't. DC's mystical comics have a wide range of characters, settings and concepts, and the Wizard isn't a major figure at all in most of them. Captain Marvel isn't even a typical showing of DC's magical comics, when there's things like the Camelot loop, the Phantom Stranger, Hellblazer, Madame Xanadu, the House of Mystery, and a shitton more weird disconnected concepts. King Arthur is more of a lynchpin to DC's mystical comics than Captain Marvel is.
>>
>>87300281
>Though I think there was only like two New Gods in it. The rest were other deities.

Nothing wrong with the idea of being powered by other gods for a while, the problem is that DC got rid of the gods for 4 years, and for a single issue gave a pantheon.
>>
>>87300276
For a quick story it's not such a bad idea. I could honestly see the old Fawcett stories doing something like that.
>>
>>87296159
>4 out of 5 look like humans

MASTER RACE
>>
>>87300253
Wow. Somebody remembered S'ivaa and didn't think it was the stupidest fucking thing ever.
>>
>>87300253
Damn. Talk about needing a Rebirth.
>>
>>87296625
>It was an instance of DC hurriedly trying to copy Marvel.

What were they trying to copy?
>>
>>87296712
Who Superman beats in punching contests.
>>
>>87300851
Nothing he is a retard
>>
>>87300276
No, you're retarded.
>>
>>87300995
Go fuck yourself, you hack.
>>
>>87301030
Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elder berries
>>
>>87301055
Heh. Quirky xD.
>>
>>87300253
>Source Manipulation of Zonuz (who is Yuga Kahn aka Darkseids father)
Weren't Darkseid retconned to some farmer that killed the gods of his planet to become a god himself in n52 ? Why would his father be important ?
>>
>>87301256
Yeah, he was retconned to being a farmer, but then Didio and Giffen made one of the gods he killed Yuga Khan
>>
>>87301307
Man, DC have really been shittin on the new gods in the last several years...
>>
>>87301256

Anything DS related has been shit since johns touche the character in origins
>>
Why snt spectre superhuge on that?

I thought he was a member of their club
>>
>>87300119
This. DC's established cosmic and magic stuff are really disjointed and have nothing to do with each other, unlike how incestuous they are over at Marvel. Better to leave them that way than to try to stick things together when they don't belong together.
>>
>>87301926
Spectre's not a leader type. He doesn't tell people what to do and he doesn't fix problems, he just makes sure that sinners get what's coming to them.
>>
>>87297874
Source
Also Milligan had become shit at that point even if they said he could write it as a vertigo title it would have sucked
>>
>>87301256
I still can't believe someone thought that origin was a good idea, let alone an improvement.
>>
>>87304467
Eh, its a sound idea just the execution is bad. Darksied having a dad sounds kinda messed up. Kirby said that the New Gods were born out of the death of the old gods. Having Darksied being the guy who killed all those old gods is dumb, but I could see a good writer making it sound like the fucking coolest thing ever. But yeah, we should just not knowledge origins to the existence of the New Gods
>>
>>87296478
Anon, that Ganthet is unforgivably about 3 AU off model.
>>
>>87296230
Simon Oliver really should have read Soule's run before having Swampy talk about how many kingdoms there were.

I get the impression he's mostly concentrated on reading old Hellblazer and Snyder's Swampy run.
>>
>>87305332
>S'ivaa
Moore's run even had the occasional small whacky one pop up. The guy failed to read Moore's Swamp Thing AND the last Swamp Thing run before deciding to write Swamp Thing.
>>
>>87296773
what exactly was bad about banishing the hulk from earth aside from using it as an excuse for yet another tie in event?
>>
>>87305429
In fairness, it's the kind of thing you'd expect an editor should pick up on, particularly when there's a guest appearance of a character that the writer doesn't know very well.
>>
>>87305557
DC's editorial is leaps and bounds better than what it was just a year or two ago.

But it's still pretty bad.
>>
>>87305557
Amusingly the guy doing Cyborg has done more with Soule's run than Oliver.
>>
>>87305661
The machine kingdom? I haven't bothered with Cyborg, I should check it out. Soule set up a lot of potentially-great things before heading off to write mediocre comics at Marvel, and I'd like to see them expored further.
>>
>>87305731
Not the kingdom. The villain has been monitoring and possibly collecting various machine characters. The machine queen has been seen on monitors and background group shot silhouettes. Small and only background but hints that she may come back.
>>
>>87305137
To be clear, I was talking about it as an origin for Darkseid and Highfather, not New Gods in general. In that sense I suppose it might have been good with proper execution, but the actual characters already had their origin stories which tied in perfectly with the themes Kirby was trying to convey there.
>>
>>87305830
Agreed. Johns tends to think a bit too literally with his revamps
>>
>>87300253
Who are all those people?
>>
>>87306343
H'romneer is the god of death for Martians. J'onn is always yelling his name out when he's getting shit on.
>>
>>87307312
Who are the others aside Darkseids dad and the wizard.
>>
>>87307594
One is a knew gods precursor thing.
>>
>>87309842
>knew gods
new gods i mean
>>
>>87306343
>S'ivaa
Old God with power of destructive dance, got whacked by Orion and Superman
>H'Ronmeer
Martian god of death
>Anapel
Siberian god of something, forgot what
>Zonuz
Darkseid's daddy
>Ate
Greek goddess of something. Mischief, I think.
>Mamaragan
Billy's Wizard
>>
>>87311151
Wonder why they decided to mix real gods with original gods.
>>
>>87311820
Probably nobody fitting was available for A and A.
>>
>>87300851
I assume he's talking about Marvel's Cosmic entities having meetings, alliances and such. You never really saw the equivalent of Eternity, Galactus, Master Order and Lord Chaos among others just hang out between universes and complain to the Living Tribunal with DC. Mostly the heroes did that and if it was entities that weren't heroes, they were mostly doing their own thing like The Endless or Lucifer and his family. In mainstream DC, there wasn't this alliance of cosmic elders and such, or at least I think that's what he's referring to.
>>
File: day of vengeance01-02.png (816KB, 500x651px) Image search: [Google]
day of vengeance01-02.png
816KB, 500x651px
>>87301926
The Spectre can actually change how he appears. 'Fuckhuge' is just one of his settings.
>>
>>87302371
He was pretty adamant about the Justice Society not unmasking for the HoUAC.
>>
>>87311905
>Aethyr
God of the Phantom Zone
>Arzaz
An Old God of the First World
>Ale
A fictional (as far as I can tell) African Goddess
>>
>>87313791
The first world has been mentioned? I thought that was one of those things they avoid showing. Like you barely see 3rd world and never 1st or 2nd.
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.