[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was the concept of "diverse 90s cartoons" really a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

Was the concept of "diverse 90s cartoons" really a thing? I know of so few that fit the bill. Only really Captain Planet, Rugrats, and The Magic School Bus come to mind. Jem was an 80s cartoon fyi.
>>
File: puzzleplace.jpg (67KB, 726x528px) Image search: [Google]
puzzleplace.jpg
67KB, 726x528px
It wasn't just cartoons, it was kid's media in general.

But if you want to see it in cartoons, you have to go back to the early 90s and stuff like Cro that people don't usually think of right away when naming "90s cartoons".
>>
>>87252168

I noticed it in other media - remember those Burger King kids? - but not exactly in cartoons.
>>
But it was mostly an '80s thing. By the mid-'90s, the idea had been toned down; you could still get a sample of multiculturalism/diversity in promotional stuff with no story, like BK Kids' Club, or little story, like that Ronald McDonald thing, but most TV shows had switched back to the formula of "MC + Minority Partner/Sidekick", and were working on getting strong, tech-savvy girls into action shows. Stuff like Hyperman, Gadget Boy, Monster Force, etc. And minority-majority shows like Hammerman and Waynehead were being made, so networks would just promote those instead of pushing extra hard for a diverse cast in other shows.

There were still shows that had a grabbag of diverse characters, but it was usually stuff that leaned on international stereotypes to begin with, like GI Joe Extreme or Tenko and the Guardians of the Magic, or adaptations like X-Men shows.

We did end up with diverse shows again, but only near the very end of the decade, with stuff like Extreme Ghostbusters, Histeria!, the Zilla cartoon (lots of Nelvana stuff, now that I think of it), etc.

They did make fun of the idea a lot in the '90s, but that was backlash from being forced to sit through it in the '80s, and I think the way the late 1990s and very early 2000s took a softer touch for diversity was a reaction to that.
>>
>>87252554
McDonalds did it too. Grimace is black and Mayor McCheese is a FtM transsexual.
>>
>>87251587
power rangers were diverse

black power.. ranger
white power ... ranger

teamwork!
>>
The Weekenders was weird about this. The gang was mostly white but diverse religion wise:

>Tito: Pagan
>Lor: Christian
>Tish: Jewish
>Carter: Presumably Christian but celebrates Kwanzaa
>>
>>87253160
Cultural and religious diversity was as important as racial diversity back then, so it's not surprising; they were often mentioned in the same breath. Now everyone's on this post-modern "society is cconstructed and all culture is just a choice" kick, so that's not really a factor anymore.
>>
>>87253474
>Culture is a choice
>But sexual fetish is not
I never understood this faggotry
>>
>>87253160
>Carter: Presumably Christian but celebrates Kwanzaa
Why was this shit pushed so hard in the '90s? I have literally never met a single person who has ever celebrated Kwanzaa. I mean it's a fake WE WUZ holiday that only dates back to like the 1960s anyway.
>>
>>87255012
We're born into different cultures and raised a certain way, but if you just look at the political diversity in a single family, you can see how "culture fluidity" (if you want to call it that) is a thing. A more shallow example would be the subculture phases of a growing child.
>>
>>87255204
Failed attempt to cash on the black market (black in litteral sense)
>>
>>87255252
A man may grow fat or starve his bones remain the same
>>
>>87251587

> Captain Planet

Actually made sense, they were literally chosen to represent all walks of life in the fight against pollution and hatred, they had a global mission that would benefit from the various points of view and even had an episode pointing it out.

> Rugrats

Pretty much all white save for Suzie and the Pickles who were the main characters of the show.

Magic School Bus

True, but not entirely impossible depending on what city and district you're going to school in.
>>
File: im rugrats.png (202KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
im rugrats.png
202KB, 640x480px
>>87251587
Rugrats?
>>
Looking back, I'm not sure we have any right tp bitch about forced diversity in modern cartoons considering they've been doing this shit for decades.

At least there's no longer the token "kid in a wheelchair" in every fucking show.
>>
>>87255501

The Pickles were white. Don't you mean Kimi and Kira?
>>
>>87255788
Meh, they were too late to the game to matter, I'm mostly just counting the Pickles cuz they were Jewish and you know how people here get about Jew=White shit.Aside from the Holiday episodes it never really came up so if you count them as white that leaves Suzie and family as the token black characters until Kimi shows up way later and brings the minority count to 2.
>>
>>87255667

This was genuine forced diversity. Feminists and non-feminists alike hate generic token characters added for kicks. Nowadays at least the characters are given more depth.
>>
File: extreme_ghostbusters.jpg (243KB, 993x805px) Image search: [Google]
extreme_ghostbusters.jpg
243KB, 993x805px
90's diversity wasn't shit though because the goal was just to have diverse people all acting like normal people. There wasn't the obsession with gender identity.
>>
File: image_21.jpg (56KB, 760x572px) Image search: [Google]
image_21.jpg
56KB, 760x572px
>>87256258
You have no fucking clue what you're talking about do you?
>>
File: Image-09.png (853KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Image-09.png
853KB, 720x540px
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.