[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mfw it is more fun to watch this webcomic miss an update,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: ewlogo.png (93KB, 386x81px) Image search: [Google]
ewlogo.png
93KB, 386x81px
>mfw it is more fun to watch this webcomic miss an update, knowing that it is costing them over $1750 each time they do it, than it is to actually read it
Anyone else know this feel?
>>
Not really, I still enjoy it. And, it's honestly a really interesting system, if somethings going to encourage on time updates, it's that.

This current arc, much like a lot of web comics right now though, is going through fatigue.
>>
It's current arc is more interesting to read all at once than it is to read weekly updates. Switching to mostly text wrh some art is a good move, now that we have a few books of mostly art to establish things.
>>
>>87234297
Yeah this is better if you read it a month at a time. Doesn't suffer from designed for serialization as much as Homestuck did, but there's a familiar feel that way.
>>
>>87234238
Thank god they got Xin back though.
>>
>>87235205
Oh god the art when this book started was vomit. The coloring still isn't great but, hey, things happen.
>>
>>87234170
They haven't missed an update in a really long time though, anon. They definitely weren't making $1750 a page back then either.
>>87235205
Fucking seriously. When I first saw the new stuff from David, I couldn't decide whether it was just me not liking something different. Looking back I can say with certainly that it sucked.
>>
Anyone know why the updates always go up so late? The only explanations I can think of are either Rob's a control freak that puts in a ton of rewrites and edits before a page goes live or they lied about the buffer/
>>
>>87235420
I think it's the former honestly. They got shit in on time, then Rob finds 5 things wrong with it on monday night the rest of us might never have noticed.
>>
>>87234170
>mfw it is more fun to watch this webcomic miss an update, knowing that it is costing them over $1750 each time they do it, than it is to actually read it
How does that work? the missing an update thing?
>>
It's no wonder he's a freak considering the amount of criticism/speculation he gets in the forums for every art error.

Then again that's his fault for making Signamancy such an important thing.
>>
Why have they been missing? Why don't they have a buffer?
>>
>>87235868
They haven't been missing, and they do have a buffer, theoretically. They've just been updating really late on their update days instead of first thing in the morning.
>>87235662
I doubt it's set up to do this automatically, but in theory if they don't get a comic page up between 12:00am and 11:59pm the day the update is supposed to happen then they won't take any subscription money for that update. They just posted a newspost that's been over a year since they've missed the update window, though.
>>
>>87235232
I will say Rob seemed like he treated him like a douche
>>
>>87235335
>They haven't missed an update in a really long time though, anon. They definitely weren't making $1750 a page back then either.
They just missed two of them in the past couple weeks, coming up a day late for each. That's $3600 for not being able to push a little harder.
>>
>>87236024
>They haven't been missing, and they do have a buffer, theoretically. They've just been updating really late on their update days instead of first thing in the morning.
Nope, this last update came in on Tuesday, and there was another one last week where that happened too. That year of not missing updates ended almost right after they celebrated it.

The buffer must have already been used up.
>>
>>87235232
Jeez no kidding. But don't even get me started about how the art has sucked since book 1.
>the only armor style worn by anyone is now some pseudo-samurai thing
>our AR-15s don't have rear sights or optics for no apparent reason despite drawing them with MOE furniture meaning you can't aim them worth a damn
>more time spent drawing pinups for their members than the actual comics
>>
>>87234238
This.
Honestly one of my favorite parts of the comic were the side stories, because we got a deeper look into some of the weird actually pretty well thought out mechanics.
>>
>>87235205
Mixed blessing but at least the art isn't complete ass anymore.
>>
>>87236960
>>87236999
http://www.erfworld.com/blog/view/50723/a-year-without-missing

>Starting next week, Erfworld's update schedule will be Tuesdays and Fridays. Backer stories, when they resume, will happen on Sundays.
>>
I really wish they would *say* the updates are on the days after they are currently released without changing when they actually release them, because who the fuck thinks "Oh, my comic is updating today. Which means I can't read it until tomorrow."?? If it's released at 11:59pm, just fucking say it's the next day. Gunnerkrigg Court updates at 3am, a time where even an insane NEET like myself often doesn't bother paying attention, and it's perfect for normies to wake up and know that it's up. It's like the newspaper.

>>87234170
No. I appreciate their output too much to take pleasure in seeing any failure, even if it doesn't significantly impact me, I want things to work well for them.

>>87235180
Not for me. I find each update usually has sufficient satisfaction, like a miniature story arc. I really like his writing, and that's one of the reasons. I think he knows not only how to make an engaging and complex story, but also how to handle pacing on multiple scales. At no point am I feeling left wanting after reading a page, or losing patience wondering "are they out of the castle yet?" {Girl Genius} / "are they still on the boat?" {apparently Berserk manga}
I do find that necessary for Vattu {difficult to know when a scene ends without spoiling yourself}.

>>87235335
Ditto on David.

>>87237353
>>87236036
I've had suspicions, but it's hard to argue with the results, and really that's how most success happens, with someone psychotic enough to crack the whip. He's made money, from actual goods instead of virtual bullshit. There's been fairly consistent updates despite reoccurring problems. If pinups are known to be better incentives for Patreon dollars, Rob probably knows what he's doing.
>>
>>87238619
>I think he knows not only how to make an engaging and complex story, but also how to handle pacing on multiple scales.
I disagree there. I find his pacing to be too inconsistent and this tied with the propensity of his narrative focus to wander off leads to far less reader engagement with the characters and events.

I'm also a tad annoyed that book 1 had the very interesting tactician doing things, not understanding them but DOING THINGS actively... and in book 2 and 3 he turns into an almost entirely reactive character (with minor exceptions that don't really go anywhere). The whole Wanda and Mary-Sue/Jillian stuff has gotten rather tiresome at this point.
>>
Did it update on time? Did anyone clock it?
>>
>>87238770
{It's hard for me to get a broader perspective on it, since I've been slowly reading it for years, and I love it; I haven't analyzed it in depth.}

He did stuff in book 2. Compared to book 1, personally, physically doing something was in both cases still just once at the end. and wasn't his shift part of the story, where he held back after the massacre he caused at the end of book 1, but ultimately came back? If you don't like the temporary state he was in, is that really on the writer?

>narrative focus to wander off
How exactly? I suppose it's... not extremely concise?
While the format it's released in spans a long time, which should probably be the context it's put in, is it really that much time if you read the pages back-to-back? I think if you don't like the details along the journey, that's valid for it not being your thing but not really a shortcoming of the comic itself.

It's strange to think of the number of pages. Others like Girl Genius have a massive quantity without going anywhere in the story. Others fail to update and so the story never gets anywhere. Heh. I think maybe "It Hurts!!" might beat them all, despite it having such rough art.
>>
>>87239712
Girl Genius is also a webcomic that has many a flaw in the storytelling.

Frankly, it's almost the rule rather than the exception. If I was going to pick some webcomics that have actually driven, compelling storylines that maintain a proper pace of action and narrative focus...
>Kill Six Billion Demons
>Spacetrawler
>Power Nap
>Rusty and Co
>Creators
>>
>>87238370
>>Starting next week, Erfworld's update schedule will be Tuesdays and Fridays. Backer stories, when they resume, will happen on Sundays.
Ah, my mistake.

>>87238619
>He's made money
Hand over fist, compared to most webcomics.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.