[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a Luke Cage thread? I just finished the series and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: erik-laray-harvey-1.jpg (165KB, 612x380px) Image search: [Google]
erik-laray-harvey-1.jpg
165KB, 612x380px
Can we have a Luke Cage thread? I just finished the series and I want to talk about it.
>>
>>87231497

more like lukewarm
>>
Cottonmouth did nothing wrong
>>
>>87231497
Cottonmouth was better than Diamondback.
>>
>>87231497
some people didn't like how campy Diamondback was but I really enjoyed it
>>
>>87231595
>>87231605
What, you don't like a cliche spouting Joker knockoff that manages to run circles around everyone even though he's a normal human with extreme tunnel vision?
>>
>>87231497
Really liked the series. Luke was constantly questioning himself and second guessing his plans unlike JJ or DD. It was refreshing to see someone that was both dedicated to the cause and reluctant to step up the violence. Also I can't wait to see him team up with Iron Fist. I really hope they end up having some good chemistry.
>>
It was a fucking chore to finish. Cottonmouth was the best part of the show. When he was gone it got really boring and really dumb. Not that it was that great to begin with.

The whole show should have been Luke Cage cleaning up Harlem like he started doing when he got the suit. The showrunners appeared to lose interest with that after 20 minutes. Damn shame.
>>
Great music
>>
>>87231625
>normal human with extreme tunnel vision
I just don't see how this guy ended up at the top of his field. The kind of guy who could give out insane loans to actual crimelords, and threaten to take Harlem from them and such.
>>
File: 1476491167222.jpg (115KB, 424x444px) Image search: [Google]
1476491167222.jpg
115KB, 424x444px
>I AM YOUR BROTHER, NIGGA

post yfw
>>
>>87231612
>>87231625
He was supposed to be crazy and kind of channel the blacksploitation villains of the olde time movies. The "Bye Felicia" line was funny to me because he gave no fucks. Also he came off as someone that could work as an arms dealer while being crazy and vindictive enough to go all out against Luke.
>>
>>87231697
You can't have a series so anal about being serious that you dance around the phrase superhero and call an alien invasion an incident then throw in a crazy blaxsploitation villain, it looks stupid.
>>
>>87231497

The guy who played Luke Cage is an awful actor, Diamondback was terribly written, the show focuses too much on Misty in the second half...

That first half was really fucking good though. The guy who played Cottonmouth killed it.
>>
>>87231697
>he came off as someone that could work as an arms dealer while being crazy and vindictive enough to go all out against Luke
I wouldn't agree with the arms dealer part but yeah.

I noticed an interesting parallel between Cottonmouth and Mariah (and Kingpin). Cottonmouth was thrust into power and tried to maintain it but ultimately was NOT good enough. Mariah was kept from power (and Fisk tried to prevent himself from becoming his father) but both ultimately became their family's legacy of abusers.
>>
>>87231761
MY NAME IS NOT COTTONMOUTH!
>>
>>87231605
At the least they rotated around the plot in several phases, instead of Jessica Jones stupid 9 episode overextension of the same villain.
>>
The 70's blaxploitation first half was much better than the 80s action movie second half.

Luke, Misty, Cottonmouth and Rosario were stellar. There were a lot of individual elements I loved like the prison scenes, the soundtrack and the Wire style end of show wrap up. There were a few things I hated like Black Mariah and Shade's stilted performances and the long lost brother plot out of NOWHERE.

8/10 overall.

DD S1 > LK = JJ > DD S2 Punisher / Kingpin stuff >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DD S2 everything else
>>
>>87231761
The struggle was real in episode 10, in the church with Dawson. Jesus Christ. His range seems very low. You can clearly see that she is a natural.
>>
>>87231529
https://youtu.be/iZd4LBjcpwM?t=36s
>>
>>87232354

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD2r5pgLLlU
>>
>>87231497
Is pretty good
>>
>>87232010
>Shade's stilted performance
>Luke was stellar
Nigga you crazy.
>>
>>87231497
Diamondback was the only thing I didn't care for. After he got so built up as this intimidating dude, only for him to revealed to be a pretty camp villain was a serious letdown.

I did like the bait-and-switch with Black Mariah though. The whole lead up to Cottonmouths death was pretty sweet. Especially during their argument where we got the shot of her under the crown before she snapped.
>>
>>87237470
Mariah better actually do something next season. It's bullshit she's on top when Shades did all the work.
>>
I liked it but
I got sick of how 90% of the scenes was two people standing up talking to each other as close as possible.
Like who does that?
>>
>>87232010
>Black Mariah and Shade's stilted performances

The fuck are you talking about, next to Cottonmouth they had some of the best acting of the show.
>>
>>87231497

>the end of the smoke and fire speech
>>
>>87231761
I don't think Mike Colter is a bad actor, I just don't think he's the right actor for Luke Cage. I also think the way they wrote him in Jessica Jones tied them down to a certain type of boring character that didn't really fit neatly into the plot. Then they surrounded him by great actors in more well-written roles.

He did a good job at fucking Misty and Jessica, tho.
>>
Claire and Luke is a good pairing
>>
I was disappointed by how they nerfed Cage's abilities. This was a character who could lift cars over his head in the comics. But in a scene where he should've picked up an entire tractor and thrown it through the wall of a barn, they had him pull a piece of equipment off the tractor and throw it.

The low budget showed badly with that sort of thing.
>>
>>87231677
>I just don't see how this guy ended up at the top of his field.

shades
>>
>>87231761
I wouldn't go as far as saying he's an awful actor, but he definitely doesn't have much range. When Luke is his calm, cool, and confident default self, he's fucking spot on, but when he needs to show any other emotion it's pretty bad to watch.

He's great as a side character, but as the main character it doesn't really work.
>>
>>87240282
>I was disappointed by how they nerfed Cage's abilities
Pretty much every single character bar maybe cap has been nerfed in the MCU.
>>
>>87240282
Frankly he shouldn't even be that strong. It's enough that he's bulletproof.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.