[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME!, /co/. But this cartoon was technically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: ic5cxjpmrgo408pzqlxo.jpg (52KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
ic5cxjpmrgo408pzqlxo.jpg
52KB, 620x400px
Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME!, /co/. But this cartoon was technically good. Along with DnD it was the only options for fantasy shows.
>>
>>87211894
true. there was a neat kind of thing going on in 80s animated fantasy, but little of it made it to TV, and by the 90s they were focusing a lot more on superhero stuff.
and it was absolutely TECHNICALLY good..
>>
I can't say the cartoon is really bad on it's own, but as a Zelda adaptation it is quite bad.

It's basically like Godzilla 1998.
>>
>>87212699
well given that all they had at the time was the first two, it was actually pretty good
>>
File: 1440273253391.webm (2MB, 640x476px) Image search: [Google]
1440273253391.webm
2MB, 640x476px
>>
>>87211894
I recommend Legend of Prince Valiant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ptWFP1kBQ
>>
>>87211894

The only people who hated this show were casual fans who discovered it via the internet and got assmad because of the "Link doesn't talk" meme even though he has spoken fucking dialogue in several games and characters react to Link as if he'd just dumped a ton of info on them
>>
I remember back in the day my sister liked Princess Gwenevere and the Jewel Riders, a pretty half-decent attempt at mixing girly shit with cool fantasy combat stuff
>>
>>87213056
Dude it's still pretty corny. Let's not pretend there's nothing legitimate to dislike
>>
>>87213056
>and characters react to Link as if he'd just dumped a ton of info on them
Most RPGs do this with silent protagonists.
I understand that its for self insertion or whatever but fuck its obnoxious. It's like a phone conversation in a cartoon where one person is just repeating what the other says for the audience.
>>
>>87213106

It's not the greatest cartoon in the world, but the people who actively shit on it were exactly those kind of people.

The same kind of people who call Zelda II a garbage game yet haven't played it, but they know it's bad because it's different from the first.
>>
File: z link z1.jpg (90KB, 448x391px) Image search: [Google]
z link z1.jpg
90KB, 448x391px
>>87213138
I feel like Link has always had lots of personality, each version of him.. the NES Link was a kinda gruff guy, going by the little art we got of him. kind of stoic, stalwart as fuck. not a smarmy asshole. Obviously that was done for the purposes of comic relief and grrl power, and none of that has anything to do with what zelda is about either. doesnt automatically make it a bad show, but.. they were obviously going for " 'tude " and.. it's just goofy
>>
File: 1407998887656.gif (2MB, 449x266px) Image search: [Google]
1407998887656.gif
2MB, 449x266px
>>87213570

>Implying Link wasn't just a weird scruffy kid with a sense of justice who grew up into the smartass you see in the cartoon
>>
>>87213511
I've been saying for a long time they need to remake zelda II with controls similar to smash bros. Double jumps, nice tight air controls, and most importantly edge-grabbing. It already has the high-low aspect
>>
>>87213612
I love that that is actually a thing in the 64 games, via glitch. sort of.

I wonder. There's actually a neat amount of story in those games that we got no visual indicator of.. the fact that Link was just some kid out of fucking nowhere, with no indicator of personal details, in a part of hyrule that was almost empty.. rescues impa, finds out about the princess, saves her..
then when he turns 16, gets an indicator that he's not just hot shit, but LEGENDARY hot shit, and goes off on a quest to save ANOTHER zelda who was asleep for centuries, and it turns out the entire thing was a test to qualify him for the third triforce piece (which up to that point was unknown to the audience at least).
i mean shit. maybe that kind of life WOULD give him a pair of massive balls. it's a huge shame we never got to see any drama between zelda and her ancestor zelda, who actually gave link some sugar.
>>
File: OH_BOY_by_dustindemon.jpg (82KB, 273x347px) Image search: [Google]
OH_BOY_by_dustindemon.jpg
82KB, 273x347px
>>87211894
That """""series""""" was complete shit and fuck you for validating that non-Zelda clusterfuck.

Maybe if absolutely any of the writers or animators even heard of a single fucking thing Zelda related at all...literally ANYTHING Zelda at all..it would have begun to be somewhat watchable. But this abomination is just the worst fucking thing shat out by people who did not even attempt to look at the first piece of art or gameplay from the franchise.
>>
>>87213056
Weeaboos who are pissed that a western cartoon was made before their glorious anime eye bishie Ocarina of Time adaptation from what I have seen.
>>
File: FCDYVXBHVVHFBO4.LARGE[1].jpg (12KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
FCDYVXBHVVHFBO4.LARGE[1].jpg
12KB, 280x280px
>>87214422
>equip bait to B
>>
>>87214520
It's not bait asshole, this series is a fucking stain on the franchise
>>
>>87214479
hey, ocarina of time started out with a great art style before the bishounen shit ruined it.. which, I might add, started in Soul Calibur before bleeding into Melee.
It was a little inconsistent, but some of the original official art really pushed the nose. It looked great.
>>
>>87214601
nobody disagrees
but absolutely nobody would agree with the dumbass reasons you chose, since they are completely invalid. Saying something true but giving backwards bullshit evidence for it is baiting 101.
>>
>>87214609
>ocarina of time started out with a great art style
It's generic anime, nothing different about it in the slightest

Everything before and after had unique styles
>>
>>87214633
Fuck you, they took a game franchise that HAD a backstory and characterizations for nearly everyone and they dropped 100% of it in favor of their weird sitcom crap with wacky toon antics.
>>
>>87214659
just going to pretend you're serious, but the original official art had a lot more classic anime look. Link could have been Deedlit's brother. After that, shit went more Squaresoft kinda look. Pupils filling the whole eye, tiny little nose, etc. everything started looking dead.
>>87214677
you know this was made based on the NES games, right?
>>
Ignoring the backstory and everything written about Link and Zelda was pretty terrible. I cannot really say there was much effort in making anything accurate to a Zelda game. It seemed more like the writers had their own idea for a show in mind already, but they were ordered to make a Zelda series instead. So they did the next best thing and renamed their OCs Link, Zelda, Ganon etc
>>
>>87214723
In an era with a SNES game, a Gameboy game, ANOTHER nes game, multiple manga series......
>>
>>87213511
I can respect Zelda II for being so different, even if it's harder to pick up as such. I even liked it for the most part as a kid, although I think Wonderboy did the job better. You're just fucked if you can't figure out good sword technique (and never pick strength when you level up).

Compare it to Super Mario Bros. 2 (not the rad version we got with tranny lizards and a playable princess), which literally started where the first game left off and just threw more and more sadistic level designs at you.
>>
>>87214876
I wish the spell casting from Zelda 2 would come back. Link has been a lot of things in the last decade, bard type, rogue type, non-magic warrior, I want to see a spell casting Link that needs to depend on that magic meter again.
>>
>>87214937

Some powers like Din's fire in OoT is considered spell. You even got a green bar of magic,
>>
>>87214982
Having an item is not quite the same thing as using spells instead of items in a game.
>>
File: 323262.png (146KB, 459x302px) Image search: [Google]
323262.png
146KB, 459x302px
>>87214937
>What are the three medallions
>What is Din's Fire
>What is Farore's Wind
>What is Nayru's Love
>What are the fire/Ice Arrows
>What are the fire/Ice Rods
>What are the ocarina songs
>What are the masks
>What are the wind waker moves
>What is Ravio's Bracelet
>What is the Four Sword

So since you have apparently heard of this series for the first time ever today I strongly suggest you actually try playing them. At least before you say something fucking stupid on a forum, that would just be embarrassing.
>>
>>87213635
That...would actually be pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>87211894
>Along with DnD it was the only options for fantasy shows.
Being the only option does not make a show good.
>>
>>87215403

4U
>>
>>87215164
What do you actually want, anon? Vancian spellcasting with material and verbal components? Class or racial abilities refreshed per-encounter or per-day? A cooldown timer? In any of those cases, maybe you just want to play something that isn't Zelda.

Link's always been a warrior and explorer first and foremost, and the games reflect that. If a spell or item isn't simple to use, it clashes with the playstyle. And in practice, magically turning yourself into a fairy via spell menu really isn't any different than waving a wand to set things on fire, or shooting enchanted arrows to freeze them solid.
>>
>>87215829
Wasn't Link in AoL primarily a spell caster?
>>
>>87215958
And that was was total shit and forgotten. What's your point?
>>
>>87215958
AoL will always be an outlier. Hell, the srongest legacy it has was contributing Link's moveset in SSB.
>>
>>87216062

>Total shit

The game was received very well. It wasn't until later generations when newcomers went back that people got assblasted it was too hard and different (it really wasn't). I don't want to be one of those hipster faggots from /v/ who calls it the best game in the series because it isn't, but it's certainly better than the original, because at least Zelda II has fucking variety in level design, enemy patterns, bosses, and music that doesn't suck.

Also Link casts a fuckton of spells and uses magic in A Link to the Past too. Arguably moreso than AoL. He summons lightning, earthquakes, turns invisible, causes entrances to appear, etc. All the same shit but just more options. Just because they got rid of magic meters in two of the recent games doesn't mean they forgot about it entirely.
>>
File: 1351463864897.png (52KB, 453x450px) Image search: [Google]
1351463864897.png
52KB, 453x450px
>>87215958
>>87216153

Adventure of Link introduced a shitton of story and gameplay elements that became series staples. Don't use the "but GameFAQs told me Zelda II was bad" meme as an arguement.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.