[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Be honest /co/ If the current slew up "diversity"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1355606133827.jpg (130KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
1355606133827.jpg
130KB, 500x280px
Be honest /co/

If the current slew up "diversity" flavored legacy characters currently being pushed by Marvel where better written and had good stories being written about with them and weren't just thinly-veiled mouth pieces for the writer to extol their political beliefs or half-assed creations of editorial pushed on writers to fill some kind of representation qouta for the sake of marketing; do you think you'd still hate them?

Pic unrelated but amusing. Remember when Nick Lowe stated in an interview Spock was here to stay and that readers should get used to him? Good times
>>
If the "diversity" flavored characters had actual character and personality to them, then yes I would probably like some of them, and dislike others of them based on said personalities.
>>
File: 640.jpg (140KB, 640x971px) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
140KB, 640x971px
>>87185708
>do you think you'd still hate them?
No because Gerry Duggan and Dustin Weaver did a Secret Wars tie-in about a black female Nova and it was fantastic
>>
>>87186220

Jane Thor has a personality. Miles does not. Sam Wilson has plenty of personalty, as does Kamala.
>>
>>87186287
/thread
>>
>>87185708
No because they'd have more of a character than just minority. Kamala works because the creator had an idea for the character. Also she's not replacing Ms. Marvel and has a power set of her own. Kamala could work if she was named Elasti Girl. However a bad example, like Miles, wasn't thought of past black Spider-Man. Bendis had no idea what to do with the character past that which is why he's so weak.
>>
>>87186535
>Bendis had no idea what to do with the character

This pretty much describes all of Bendis' writing for the past 10 or so years. And unfortunately since Miles is Bendis' pet character you don't see too much effort in developing him into a more interesting character
>>
>>87186810
It's a shame some one so creatively barren has so much control
>>
>>87186946
Cause the creative ones left the company to create things
>>
>>87186535
I've only read the first issue: is Kamala actually a Muslim, or is she just raised Muslim so she doesn't eat pork because her parents say so? Because I was sold on the idea of "growing up Muslim and female in America" but I got "growing up nominally Jewish and female in America". In fact, I'd rather have had her friend Nakia be the main character - she seemed to actively be trying to be more Muslim.
>>
>>87185708
Sure, it's been done. I loved Danica Williams as Flash Beyond in the Beyond 2.0 comics.
>>87186293
They also changed the rules to allow for Jane Thor. At no other point did someone transform into Thor while holding the hammer if Thor was still running around. Masterson transformed into him, and lo and behold Thor was actually possessing him at the time.
>>
>>87186287
This.
>>
>>87187179
She's muslims but fits with the more modern young muslims who's religion isn't as prevalent in their lives. It's important to her in a family and community way but not that much, I mean she might get with Bruno
>>
>>87185708
>do you think you'd still hate them
Absolutely not. Well-done diversity is a good thing, that's just now what we're getting.
>>
>>87187334
>muslims who aren't really muslim
>>
>>87187417
Like Christians who don't live their life by the bible. I had a Muslim roommate in college. He never prayed, he drank alcohol, and he had sex

And it's not like he was super Americanized, he lived in Bangladesh until he was like 16 or 17
>>
>>87187486
>Like Christians who don't live their life by the bible.
Yeah, and I'd be just as annoyed if Kamala were, say, a Syrian Nazarene Christian, but actually not really, in name only. Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.
Ultimately, she's no different from any other superheroine or really any American teenage girl in this regard. Again - Nakia seems like the actual real deal, why is the story not about her? The lead-up to release was all about MUSLIM TEEN GIRL HERO but she seems to not actually believe in it.
One of my friends in college was Egyptian, another was Syrian. Never prayed, drank alcohol, had sex, but they didn't eat pork. The difference here is that they never claimed to be Muslim - the Egyptian's agnostic, and the Syrian's an atheist. If they had at any point claimed to be Muslim, I would have indeed asked why, say, they're pouring themselves some vodka.

Side note: part of the build-up was the whole "growing up Muslim" thing - but the creator who got all the press isn't even Middle Eastern, and converted to Islam in college. Sana Amanat seems like she would actually have grown up Muslim, but I have no way of knowing because her wikipedia page is only a paragraph long.
>>
>>87186287
Goddamn this was fucking amazing
>>
>>87187939
You don't know anyone who considers themselves Christian or Catholic and believes in God but doesn't go to church or really pay much attention to religion at all? Do you think everyone who celebrates Christmas or Easter actually gives a fuck about the religious importance of them?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.