[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Doom Patrol reboot Shade, The Changing ____ reboot Is DC's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: Screenshot-199-600x307.png (311KB, 600x307px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot-199-600x307.png
311KB, 600x307px
Doom Patrol reboot
Shade, The Changing ____ reboot

Is DC's "Young Animal" imprint a return to the psychedelica of 1990s Grant Morrison era Vertigo, or is it just pointless "LOL RANDUM XD"?

I'm two issues in and I can't tell yet.
>>
>>87169761
Thing is they're assuming people who are reading these are familiar with the originals so they're ramping up to full weirdness right out the gate.

Shad seems to be setting up this psychedelic Mean Girls plot which could be supremely entertaining, but DOOM PATROL is taking it's time to reveal everything, the pacing is slower. I have a feeling things will make sense towards the end of the arc, but it might not be good.

gonna keep reading both though.

On that note, anyone read the first issue of Cave Carson? Any thoughts?
>>
>>87169761
I lost interest in DC a long time ago but I'm really enjoying Shade so far.

I will get supremely tushy-tortured if there's even one mention of Superman or other capefaggotry, though. Please keep it its own separate thing
>>
>>87169901
>On that note, anyone read the first issue of Cave Carson? Any thoughts?
Personally, I thought it was a bit slow and not enough happened, but everyone else seemingly rates it above DP and Shade.
Super Powers was pure Scioli kino, though.
>>
>>87169761
If you're talking Doom Patrol, it's just a non-linear narrative with multiple plot elements converging into a singular plot line. You can already see this happening as of the second issue, where you can tell that Casey Brinke is part of Danny's Perpetual Cabaret that has somehow achieved sentience and the Goobfoobers are trying to get Danny so they can grind up Cabaret members as endless free meat for their restaurant. If you can't handle the format and need a more standard linear story like what Shade has, then it's easy to see where you think the multiple plot elements that haven't yet converged are just LOL SO RANDUMB scenes being weird for the sake of being weird.
>>
>>87169901
I really liked it but nothing happened yet to be honest. Really interested in second issue though.
>>
>>87169761
I love those black and white character profiles.
>>
>>87169901
>DOOM PATROL is taking it's time to reveal everything, the pacing is slower
The first trade is a " getting the team together" arc going by the solicit for issue 5
>>
>>87169986
>not enough happened
Yeah the two big moments were cameos from Metal Men and Wild Dog
>>
>>87169952
>I will get supremely tushy-tortured if there's even one mention of Superman or other capefaggotry, though. Please keep it its own separate thing
Don't read Cave Carson then.
>>
>>87170703
>Yeah the two big moments were cameos from Metal Men and Wild Dog's ass
FTFY
>>
>>87169761
Shade > Cave > Doom Patrol

They're all good and DP's #2 was an improvement over #1 though
>>
>>87169761
It's basically a fanfic based on Morrison run
>>
It's not really that random or even weirder than Morrison's run in Doom Patrolnor any of the other Vertigo stuff. If anything, I'm surprised at how much of a story I could get out of them. Doom Patrol is literally about getting the gang back together and stoping whoever wants to turn Danny the Street into a fast food chain. Shade the Changing Girl is llora likely going to be about this alien discovering why the other students hate the girls she's possessing and how to make up for that, possibly. Cave Carson seems to be more about this guy discovering some conspiracy while also fixing his relationship with his daughter. It's pretty coherent so far.
>>
>>87173409
Yeah. I'm a little disappointed that the weirdness of Doom Patrol got cleared up so fast.
>>
Anything that openly tries to be wacky and hypes so hard on the Morrison run like this is guaranteed to be terrible. They couldnt even get a good artist, it's deviantart tier.
>>
Cave Carson has an actual story so yeah THAT is the best
>>
>>87173452
I am a bit too but considering how many complains of "it's too confusing" I've seen...
>>
>>87170658
I don't think there's a "getting together the team" arc. Remember, one of the driving themes of Morrison's run was the fight against the status quo so I don't think the book will ever reach a "okay, here's a team and here are their self contained adventures(each arc is of course 5-6 issues long, perfect for a trade hooray modern storytelling). Especially if you consider the fact that Way and Derrington said DP could consist of 50 members.
>>
>>87174188
>They couldnt even get a good artist, it's deviantart tier.

Bait harder faggot
>>
File: MotherPanic.jpg (190KB, 1200x538px) Image search: [Google]
MotherPanic.jpg
190KB, 1200x538px
Does anyone plan on getting Mother Panic?

I'm pulling all 3 other Young Animal books (as well as all 4 Hanna Barbera titles and a lot of Rebirth) and this one just seems like the most uninteresting... Yet another vigilante in Gotham.

What makes this book special exactly? Other then the fact it's released under Young Animal?
>>
>>87174372
>What makes this book special exactly?
The art. So yes, I'm buying.

By your logic, Cave Carson was pretty typical too. yes, it stars an obscure almost throwaway character but the first issue had no weird factor, no psychedelia so it could've easily been DC instead of YA.
>>
>>87174372
It's the one I'm least excited for, but I'll defo check it out.

I suppose its speciality is that it's a mature audience take on (female) Batman? I've read enough Batman and Batman-lite comics to never want to read one again so I'm skeptical at best

At least JP Leon is doing some art for it
>>
>>87171020
Equating using another person's work with fanfic is the reason the medium is inundated with overpowered boring as fuck OC characters every time there's a writer change.
>>
>>87173409
>It's not really that random or even weirder than Morrison's run in Doom Patrol

The only scene that made we worry was how jaded Casey's reaction was to Terry turning her roommate into an exploding cake.

I mean, she's a paramedic, and established as a empathic character. However unpleasant the guy was, he was still a person. Plus, there are going to be inquiries from family members, law enforcement... I would just think she'd be taking it more seriously.
>>
>>87174372
I'm going to give it a shot, but more because I want to read how the author writes Gotham as a city, rather than the main character being a vigilante.
>>
>>87175398

I thought that was a little strange as well.

At the time, I thought she was just too stunned to react, but it's weird there was no follow-up.

I've never read any other Doom Patrol. Is this Terry None a returning character? Is she established as having explode-people-into-cake powers, or could this have been something to do with the guy rather than her?
>>
File: 1441487191145.jpg (46KB, 596x628px) Image search: [Google]
1441487191145.jpg
46KB, 596x628px
>>87175398
>mfw I realised he burst into treats
>>
>>87175398
>>87176248
Count me in too. I thought Casey was supposed to be the Joe Soap we relate to, but her reaction uncomfortably took me off guard
>>
File: 1270835491525.png (92KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1270835491525.png
92KB, 240x240px
>>87176596
Holy shit lel
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.