[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>That’s what ultimately sours me on the entire enterpri

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: GL011.jpg (20KB, 500x166px) Image search: [Google]
GL011.jpg
20KB, 500x166px
>That’s what ultimately sours me on the entire enterprise: the need to turn what could be dumb-but-enjoyable action-adventure stories into some sort of statement, even if that statement is just “look how mature and adult this is!” That’s the nature of superhero comics these days, adding sex (or hints in that direction, mostly consisting of skimpy costumes and cleavage/upskirt viewing angles for female characters) and violence (which is not nearly as coy, usually being front-and-center on the page and as gory as possible) to the children’s entertainment which the creators and the audience have such nostalgia for.

http://www.hoodedutilitarian.com/2012/09/speaking-power-to-stupid-the-ever-dumb-green-lantern-comics-of-geoff-johns/

What do you think about this critique of Johns and the rebooted Green Lantern series?
>>
>>87162828
Whoever wrote article this made the mistake to assume comic books are only for children.

SOME comics can be for children. Not all.
>>
>>87162919
he assumes comics are supposed to be for children and how the genre is stale because of it but he criticisms any attempt to make them more serious or appeal to adult audiences at the same time.
>>
>>87162828

yeah Johns can fuck up that way sometimes. Like with Sinestro and shit it kinda works cause Fear Corp means you can do scary but look at him trying to expand it beyond that.
>>
All I'm getting from this is he never actually read Green Lantern before and is mad about things he should be.
>>
Nothing wrong in trying to give things a more "mature" tone, problem is that Johns attempt felt really juvenile.
>>
This guy doesn't know shit about comic history. The only era comics were for children was the silver age.
>>
>>87165033

Yeah, seriously. The Silver Age is pretty much the best time for kids, since that's when comic books were at their most innocent and kid friendly. The Comics Code Authority is to thank for that.
>>
I hated Johns' Green Lantern for completely other reasons, but I do have to agree somewhat. Dumb, fun action was when Johns' GL was most enjoyable. Once they started upping the scale and going into wars and crises was when it all started going downhill.
>>
>hoodedutilitarian
you're making me laugh
>>
I remember at some point in Green Lantern Corps, there was a killer who targeted a certain alien race and tore out their eyes and left them in a big pile for the GLC to find, or something. That was 2edgy4me.
>>
>>87162970
Trying to bump something made for kids into adult territory without completely dismantling it is likely to break down. Adult premises are more critical, morally ambiguous and challenging and things fit for kids often don't hold under scrutiny.
>>
>>87165494
Actually, having read through the article now, I hated it for exactly the same reasons. This shit is spot on, and why Johns' GL is so fucking popular is an eternal mystery to me.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.