[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just impulse bought this because I liked Tom Scioli's work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (968KB, 1054x1600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
968KB, 1054x1600px
Just impulse bought this because I liked Tom Scioli's work on the back up in Cave Carson. Never read a single GI Joe or Transformers comic before. How fucked am I?
>>
People will hate me for saying this, but royally fucked.

It's an extremely crazy ride and should absolutely never be someone's introduction to Transformer comics.
>>
>>87126310
Lets just say your mind will be like Dr Mindbender's prom date.
>>
>>87126342
>it not muh Transformer
>>
>>87126310
I don't really care for GI Joe or Transformers and I absolutely love it.
>>
>>87126310
It's an LSD trip inside of an acid hallucination while listening to Dark Side of the Moon.
>>
>>87126310
Morrison wishes he were this trippy.
>>
>>87126342
>should absolutely never be someone's introduction to Transformer comics.

Yeah none of them are worth reading

>>87126483
Scioli actually said Seven Soldiers and Final Crisis were inspirations

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/20/everything-is-an-advert-for-everything-else-tom-scioli-talks-transformers-vs-gi-joe-and-young-animals-super-powers/
>>
I'm literally just getting the final omnibus and jumping in. I usually hate both franchises because they're toys. (but Larry Hama rocks so I won't bad talk him)
>>
File: char_36730.jpg (9KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
char_36730.jpg
9KB, 210x240px
>>87126813
>I usually hate both franchises because they're toys

>There are actually people who think this way
KYS
>>
>>87126925
For not being a man child and using cringey cartoon reaction images and green text?
>>
You'll miss the references and inside jokes, but its such an insane, balls-to-the-wall thrill ride you won't mind.
>>
>>87127097
OP here. How much stuff would I have to read to catch up?
>>
>>87127133

Oh, all 140+ issues of Marvel GI Joe and all 80 issue of Marvel Transformers. And thats bare minimum.

The TF Wiki list every singe reference for every issue, if you just wanna read it cold and be informed later.
>>
>>87127133
You won't. Each issue has a creator commentary in the back between Scioli and Barber. It's really great for both the creative process and explaining who people like The Oktober Guard are

Scioli went way out of his way to use the most obscure characters he could so it wouldn't just become a Snakeyes story
>>
There's a hardcover of it coming out early next year.
>>
>>87127235
and a one shot issue Transformers vs GI Joe the movie

An adaptation of a fictional movie based on the comics
>>
>>87127235
Got a source on that?
>>
>>87127370
>Earth makes contact with an alien race–and G.I. JOE is on the front lines! But, when the Transformers arrive–well, let’s just say you’ve never seen Transformers vs G.I. JOE like this! This oversized deluxe hardcover collects all 13 issues, including commentary and extras by creators Tom Scioli and John Barber!

https://www.amazon.com/Transformers-G-I-Joe-Quintessential-Collection/dp/1631408607/
>>
>>87126310
It's amazing. I could care less about either franchises but this is one great book. At the very least the art makes up for any of its flaws.
>>
>>87126925

they're toys! i'm sure there's an argument but it's not greentxt
>>
>>87127413
Fuck I can't wait that long I'll just get v3
>>
File: gungod.jpg (747KB, 630x969px) Image search: [Google]
gungod.jpg
747KB, 630x969px
>>
>>87127440
>I could care less

Couldn't care less. Jesus Christ people.
>>
>>87127482
I bought all the trades and a week later the HC was solicited. I'll just sell them when it comes out and upgrade.
>>
>>87127489

HEART BREAKERRRRRR!
>>
>>87126310
Not fucked at all. It rules.

>>87126342
You're fucking retarded. I bet you think James Roberts isn't trash.
>>
>>87126789
>Yeah none of them are worth reading

kys niggerlips
>>
>>87126813
>I usually hate both franchises because they're toys.

Pretentious indienigger spotted.
>>
>>87127489
Why do people love this page so much? Don't get me wrong I absolutely love it myself but it's the only panel that's ever posted out of a series with SO MANY cool pages.
>>
>>87127667
>Butthurt manchild detected

Shouldn't you be at your local comic book shop having an autistic discussion about Hannah-Barbera shows?
>>
>>87127981
Because Destro is the coolest and 80's musical references
>>
>>87126310
>>87126342
I read this while only knowing about G1 Optimus, Megatron, Grimlock and Bumblebee and nothing about GI Joe.
It was hard at first but at the end I was totally on board of the crazy train and It is one of my favorite comics
>>
>>87127991
Shouldn't you be on /lit/ circlejerking about shit nobody cares about?
>>
>>87126310
The best fucking comic you've ever read.

If you're working by the trades, Volume 1 is pretty straightforward, Volume 2 feels a bit flaky because of branching storylines but is otherwise my favorite, and something about Volume 3 feels off to me, stuff intended as further escalation felt instead like an ass-pull.

So, it has its flaws. So what.
It's still a fucking trip, and sets the bar incredibly high for how SuperPowers might develop.

This is also the best of his art. At first, I wished that he would commit to some traditional inking, but having poked my nose into Godland, I've changed my mind. Scioli's art is much better with the colors that he does himself, even if sometimes it looks like he's doing "inks" with a colored pencil or something.
>>
>>87128592
/lit/ talks about a ton of mainstream shit, /mu/ would have been a better insult
>>
>>87128592
Like GI Joe and Trasnformers comics?
>>
>>87126989
>on 4chan
>complains about green
>complains about immaturity
>complains about reaction images
>on the comic book and cartoon show board

Moron, fuck off to reddit casual
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.