[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I thought everyone was expecting way too much out of this series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 12

File: potential.jpg (272KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
potential.jpg
272KB, 1920x1080px
I thought everyone was expecting way too much out of this series before it came out,it was terrible tho.

How would you have done the series to make it as good as the original?
>>
File: consider the following.png (96KB, 587x337px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.png
96KB, 587x337px
>>87115072
Make it a Pulp style adventure, like Lobster Johnson.
>>
File: 1408718565459.jpg (76KB, 774x1013px) Image search: [Google]
1408718565459.jpg
76KB, 774x1013px
>>87115072
>make it as good as the original

Theres your fucking problem.
>>
>>87115072
>I thought everyone was expecting way too much out of this series before it came out
>foundation already set down
>passing on the torch
>lore already established
>the "creators" stayed on and chose to go through with this so that means they had another story to tell

It just had to be competent and yet it couldn't even manage it. If I only had 12 episodes I would have just continued the story of Aang and the others since everyone knows these people and the writing already has them set up.

Or I would have had Korra exploring the new world by escaping the compound and encountering people and problems and helping them like Samurai Jack or the village of the week episodes of AtLA. No "Team Avatar."
>>
>>87115072
Only one season

Bending involves actual martial arts again and isn't just limited telekinesis

Amon isn't a bender

The whole of Korra's character is replaced by someone a bit less insufferable
>>
>>87115072
Season 1
Can remain much as is (maybe less relationship drama and make Korra make fewer stupid decisions)

Season 2
Remove entirely

Season 3
>Since there's no new airbenders the reason Korra's in the earth kingdom is to mediate on a discussion caused by the earth queen stirring up a fuss about the republic's independence (setting up for kuvira next season)
>Zaheer broke out of prison due to the White Lotus diverting members to republic city during the battle with the equalists.
>The Red Lotus assassinate president Raiko while Korra's in the earth kingdom
>The Red Lotus captures Korra at the oasis
>Eventually team avatar defeats the Red Lotus in a team vs team fight (instead of four seperate fights).

Season 4
much the same but no giant mech

these are my first thoughts
>>
File: 1325015883850.jpg (45KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
1325015883850.jpg
45KB, 680x510px
>>87115072
>>
first of all
>play up the triads
you cant have a 20s-30s era without bringing up the mafia, and they only scratched the surface
>more roaring 20s stuff
maybe they could have hit more speakeasies, and jazz night clubs, while going into dark backlit allies trying to smoke out an opium smuggler, while upbeat jazz plays
>dealing with pandemics and anrcho capitalists
a huge bubonic plague struck hong kong in the 30s, and giant congloremates who operated with no government supervision controlled everything, perfect opportunity to try and break in and uncover some horrible corporate secrets
>no health compliance
being a factory worker at this meant falling into a vat of lard, because railing and covers cost money, and poor underemployed non-benders who are forced to work 18 hours a day would put some real reason for them to flock to amon
>>
>>87116792
forgot to add
hong kong at this time was full of "politics,propaganda, panic, rumour, riot, revolution and refugees"
that could made an interesting story
>>
>>87115072
Planned for four seasons rather than making one and hoping people liked it enough to get another and then another.

The main issue with the show is that it clearly wasn't planned to be long-running like AtLA.
>>
>>87115072
>Season 1
Wouldn't happen. I'd give all of the show's funding to an up and coming show by the name of "Nutshack".

>Season 2
On Season 2 of the Nutshack, i'd have one of the 3 main protagonist killed, only to be revived as a Zorro parody, by a video game cheat.
>>
File: escalator.png (37KB, 160x150px) Image search: [Google]
escalator.png
37KB, 160x150px
>>87115072
>How would you have done the series to make it as good as the original?
Push Mike and Brian off the creative teams and force them to take hands-off executive producer credits.

Keep all the other writers from TLAB.

That's it.
>>
>>87116851
>The main issue with the show is that it clearly wasn't planned
That falls on the writers, not Nick.
They weren't guaranteed all three seasons of ATLA yet they still put forth everything as if they were getting enough episodes.
The way they handled LoK shows that they didn't think out anything long term even from the beginning especially with the characters.
>>
I would have killed off every juvenile, mysoginystic, immature tasteless faggot like OP before the premier.
>>
>>87116980
>That falls on the writers, not Nick.
That's exactly what I was getting at.
They clearly thought they'd get renewed riding on the coattails of AtLA.
I mean, they did get renewed, but the show suffered for it with one season plots.

Doesn't help that they got rid of a fair portion of their good writers.
>>
Don't fire everyone who made the original series, and try to write it with just 2 guys and coffee boy.
>>
File: egghead.jpg (25KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
egghead.jpg
25KB, 350x263px
>>87116949
This.

Mike and Brian were the problem. It's Star Wars syndrome.

1) Creator(s) make(s) something shitty with a core of a good idea that gets developed and cut and polished by a full team of artists and writers
2) Highly polished idea does well in the market
3) Investors erroneously assume this to be a result of infallible genius on the part of the creator(s) and give them more control
4) Without their ideas being reigned in and polished everything is shit
>>
>>87115072
Book 1: Cut the romance sub plot and spend the time on Korra learning airbending. Amon isn't a Bloodbender, but got his powers through spirits which can lead into book 2 focusing on why the spirits gave him the power. I would like a different solution to Korra losing her bending, but i'm not sure how, so might aswell not have her lose it in the first place.

Book 2: Unalaq is right in that the spirits are angry instead of just being used by him and Vaatu. Cut the RC subplot and focus on the civil war plot instead. Unalaq and Vaatu are angry that the avatar is out of balance (only adhering to Raava) and Unalaq is trying to fix this problem by merging with both Raava and Vaatu, and plans to free the spirit and take humanity back to a medieval society.
The final fight goes about the same, but instead of becoming giant, Unalaq goes to the southpole capitol to destroy the rebellion as a new avatar. Korra and the others follow him and defeat with the aid of other spirits (maybe the phoenix from earlier). Ends with Korra absorbing Vaatu knowingly and the portals being open because they can't be closed again.

Book 3: About the same, though i would scrap the Airbender plot and have one about Korra, now aware of Raava and Vaatu, doubting wether or not she should listen to Vaatu and taking a lot of guidance from Raava, resulting in her fighting Zaheer and becoming crippled.

Book 4: About the same, but instead of being just crippled, Korra has lost her connection to Raava whereas Vaatu is thriving on the chaos of her inner turmoil. So every time Korra is in trouble Vaatu offers his assistance. Towards the end i would drop the mech, and have Korra's talk with Zaheer be longer and have more meaning, could also be longer so the rest of the cast has to fight Kuviras army and Big Bertha spirit canon without her. They are doing work but are losing when Korra returns and turns the tide, ending with Korra arresting Kuvira without some sob story. cont
>>
>>87117034
>Doesn't help that they got rid of a fair portion of their good writers.
That wasn't on them though. The others were on their own projects at the time and stayed on doing other things. They couldn't just grab the other writers and force them to come on board.

They should have just done better writing it themselves or learned from their experiences from before.
>>
>>87117013
>misogynistic
how many of the criticisms of Korra you've heard have involved Korra being female, if you inverted the gender of every character the complaints about the writing still stand
>>
>>87117034
>fair portion
ALL OF THEM
Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko wrote all of season 1 and most of season 2.

Season 3 they got new writers and only wrote 1 episode, and to no ones surprise it's best season.
>>
>>87117077
cont

The very end will have Korra talking about having learned to rely on herself instead of others all the time, and that theres more to being the avatar than just fighting. A small montage where Korra and her team helps rebuild RC and the EK, aswell as integrating the spirits into world since they can't get rid of them anyway, and then they all (Mako, Bolin, Asami) go on a well deserved vacation. Still no romance.
>>
>perfect tomboy brown waifu
>just because she's not girly she has to be a lesbian
This even filters to real life NAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
After Amon died all the nonbenders gave up? No more violence?

I'd think that revolution only get angrier with their leader being a Bender.
>>
File: 1475963831928.jpg (83KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
1475963831928.jpg
83KB, 848x480px
Don't just end with lesbians out of nowhere.
Build that shit up from S1, instead of having Korra and Asami be a bunch of hungry dogs fighting over the soup bone that is Mako.
>>
>>87117286
>I'd think that revolution only get angrier with their leader being a Bender.
They had no substance to their claims. Bending causing problems and benders causing problems are two different things. They were blaming bending. What needed to happen was the system needed to be reworked and fixed to provide people the help they needed across the board, not completely demolished.
>>
>>87115072
Remove romance.
Remove robots.
Remove Bryke.
>>
>>87117480
Remove Bolin or change his personality.
Remove Objectivist bullshit.
>>
>>87117286
I think it had more to do with the (all-bender) council being replaced by an elected non-bender president, it showed the moderates that the system wasn't stacked against them as they'd been led to believe and the more extreme members didn't have the numbers to be a threat
>>
>>87117503
>Remove Bolin or change his personality.
I don't think you'd need to do this just emphasise his strength more in order to give him a clear role that isn't comic relief
>>
>>87117425
And that happened with the bending led city council being dissolved and a non bender President being elected.
>>
>>87117530
>give him a clear role that isn't comic relief
He was supposed to be comic relief?
>>
>>87117530
That doesn't change the fact that his "humor" is a dud at best and an annoyance at worst.
>>
>>87117530
I think if they made him more like he was in Book 4 earlier he would be awesome.
>>
>>87117546
>And that happened with the bending led city council being dissolved
Except that the council had non-benders on it before.
The problem was that the other nations (Fire, Water -both tribes, and Earth plus the handful of Air) were dictating things for the country rather than the citizens of the country itself. That needed to change but the fact that they got a non-bender is just showing that the problems of bias still exist.
>>
>>87117598
>I think if they made him more like he was in Book 4 earlier he would be awesome.

So pair him up with an actual person who is funny and have him play the straight man to that other person's antics?
Best just get rid of him or Mako if they only work in that role and free up time for others and budget allocation.
>>
>>87115072
Make Korra overly headstrong and ambitious, and actually follow up with it being a problem.

Ditch Asami and ditch the love triangle. Deal more with Bolin and Mako's friction and grief over the fire gangsters that killed their family. Have Mako be a non-bender, too. Have him secretly sympathetic to Equalist's cause and have him be a secret chi blocker.

Change the equalists from a group of random electro thugs to a group of militia style terrorists. Have them found secret chi blocking schools and teach non-benders to defend themselves. Have Amon be a former waterbender who lost his bending abilities and became a chi blocker.

Those are some ideas. They had a lot of good ideas with the Equalists and whatnot, but they never amounted to anything.
>>
>>87117425
>They had no substance to their claims. Bending causing problems and benders causing problems are two different things. The
If you have one half of the populace who can throw fire from their hands and another who cannot? There's bound to be some strife.

Look at the original idea with bender lead gangs and various other criminals. The equalists totally had a point that the civilians need to be empowered.
>>
>>87117711
Maybe, but i also think he was more capable in Book 4 and relied less on Mako to be relevant.
>>
The series needed more slice of life team bonding episodes like ATLA had. Korra and Bolin needed a bonding episode and should have just been total bros the entire time. They play off each other well.
>>
>>87117777
>Look at the original idea with bender lead gangs and various other criminals. The equalists totally had a point that the civilians need to be empowered.

The police needed to be empowered to do their job and not arrest the Avatar for doing the Avatar's job of helping people like the past Avatars have done for people.
The council needed to hold forums with the people to hear grievances and get feedback or actually be those elected by the nation instead of being from different nations.
People like Mako and Bolin shouldn't have to turn to organize crime to live (even though they could have just stayed on Air Temple Island since airbenders never turn away a hungry guest - to quote Tarrlok quoting Tenzin.)
As you say, the civilians which included both those who can throw fire from their hands and those who can not. Gangs there will always be, even in our world where we can't have built in flamethrowers biologically.
>>
>>87117806
>and relied less on Mako to be relevant.
That's because he was away from Mako. So he works best when he is alone in his own world.

Ditch him. Or make him a one-shot character who helps eventually like people who helped the Gaang during the Day of Black Sun. Don't have him stick with the group.
>>
>>87117872
If there was no way non-benders could fight, sure. But we know they can use chi-blocking in the setting. Why isn't it being taught?
>>
File: capsical.png (202KB, 600x631px) Image search: [Google]
capsical.png
202KB, 600x631px
lol wow guys. Is this really a thread? First off 100% Korra was just as good if not better than the first. Hands down. It was more adult and took things we are dealing with now, ie terrorist, arm races, hate, and maybe it understandable to children.

Second I think a lot of this "it's not as good" Comes from the fact that not only is Korra a girl but she has bigger balls than Ang ever did. I Mean come on! We have real fighting where people can connect their fist to faces. Let's face it pro bending was more of a real sport then quittage and I know that pissed people off.

I love her love mistakes, they are normal mistakes any young girl had been faced with. So it was nice to see them from a women's point a view over a guys. We don't get that a lot, and when we do it's slut shaming. This was a positive outlook on something that happens to all girls and wemon at some point.

I love the first season, and the writers thought it would be their only one so they made it the biggest and best one. You can't fault the artist and writers when the marketers go "ohhh I forgot that 51% of people in the world are wemon and would love a women focused show. Make us more!" While the writers are sitting there going " we told you from the start this would be a hit you told us sum it up."

The second season was due to the over flood of letters about a dark avatar so yeah...its not as good cuse they wanted to get that out of the way.

And over all Korra Sami is the best ship there has been a long while. As much as I do get sick of the only GLBTQ we get to see is Lessbains, we don't get to see any of it in cartoons (outside of steven universe) I do hope that one day we can have some kid shows that have a Gay guy couple.

You'll can bang this drum all you want doesn't stop it from being awesome. Have a good day.
>>
>>87118769
This is the worst bait I've seen in years.
>>
File: R231526.png (17KB, 374x208px) Image search: [Google]
R231526.png
17KB, 374x208px
>>87115072
Book one's plot could have been great if they tossed the romance and politician bullshit and focused on the growing division between benders and non-benders and how much the former was being oppressed

That would have been Last Air Bender great story telling but nope, 3 way love triage and older man manipulates Korra just cause
>>
File: 317.png (134KB, 600x601px) Image search: [Google]
317.png
134KB, 600x601px
>>87118769
>>
>>87118769
I know this is bait, but it distresses me that this opinion probably unironically exists somewhere.
>>
>>87115072
not focus on love interestes
>>
File: Abbott and Costello.gif (754KB, 360x184px) Image search: [Google]
Abbott and Costello.gif
754KB, 360x184px
>>87117806
Bolinhad to leave his comfort zone for like 2 episodes and show a semblance of responsibility and common sense.
But as soon as they get back to civilization he becomes a fumbling retard anda fucking doormat for Opal again.

Nah, he had his chance to grow and yet they keep turning him back into a dimwitted manbaby you can't trust to do fuck all.

Incidentally, his shtick was moderately funny when Asami was acting as his straight man (lol), but never EVER when it was Mako.
>>
File: 1457911062147.jpg (552KB, 1022x709px) Image search: [Google]
1457911062147.jpg
552KB, 1022x709px
I consider myself a reasonable guy. I can understand how rushed production can get, how sometimes you have to just make it work well enough to get past the deadlines. So, Book 1, Book 2? I can see that. You weren't expecting to make more Korra after Book 1, so you went with the abrupt ending to tie everything up. Okay. And book 2, you had to scramble to make that work. It still sucks, but I can understand how you fell into that position.

But Books 3 and 4? I don't understand how you could've made Book 4 fail so hard. How you could set up all these interesting elements in Book 3, then capitalize on NONE of them in Book 4. Those truly were failures, and the blame falls squarely on Bryke's shoulders.

So, if we give Bryke this amount of slack, then all we can change is Book 3 and 4. But I've got ideas for that:
>Vaatu is reborn in a reverse Avatar cycle, picking out the most suitable host and unlocking dormant Airbenders in the process.
>Unalaq is trapped in the Spirit World, but uses his spirity connections to free his old comrades, the Red Lotus.
>The Red Lotus worships chaos - they want to find the new Dark Avatar and train him in their ways to counteract Korra and Raava's "Order"
>Season 3 is a chase between Korra and the Red Lotus to find this new host - Probably Kai, just so he'll have some actual relevance.
>It ends badly, with Kai being abducted and Korra crippled or whatever.
>Season 4 still has the timeskip, where Kai has been trained in the other elements and is sowing chaos with the Red Lotus throughout the Earth Kingdom.
>The season is nothing but build-up to Korra's eventual fight with Kai, Order vs. Chaos.
>Lots of Korra soul searching, wondering if she has the power after her defeat in Book 3, wondering how "special" she can be if there's another Avatar out there.
>Some soul searching for Kai as well, why not.
>giant 4-element battle.
>It ends with them realizing that they need to work together to achieve Balance
>>
>>87122386
You forgot:
>ends in /ss/
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.