[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else find this "too black"? It just doesn't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 162
Thread images: 9

File: luke-cage-cropped.jpg (83KB, 625x352px) Image search: [Google]
luke-cage-cropped.jpg
83KB, 625x352px
Does anyone else find this "too black"? It just doesn't click with me and I honestly feel uncomfortable watching it. I really don't know why it is. I like watching the Boondocks and Proud Family but they made this TOO black.
>>
>>87109940
Sounds like you're a pussy.
>>
>>87109940
That's kind of the point of Luke Cage. In the 70s he was Blaxploitation. In 2016 he's #blacklivesmatter
>>
>>87109940
No.
>>
>>87109940
I'm black and I was uncomfortable with how black this show was trying to be.
>>
I only watched the first three episodes and haven't gotten around to finishing it, but it doesn't bother me.
>>
>>87109940
>Does anyone else find this "too black"?

Those articles were funny.
>>
>>87109940
1. The cops werent all snarling racists so it could of been blacker.

2. Man the fuck up lukes story should resonate despite his race
>>
>>87109940
No.
>>
>>87109940

I didn't care about how black it was, that stuff doesn't bother me. I was bothered more by how badly the show sucked after Cottonmouth bit the dust.
>>
File: 1476899313769.jpg (71KB, 720x602px) Image search: [Google]
1476899313769.jpg
71KB, 720x602px
>If Luke's innocent then why is he running
>Because ya'll the police and he's black

That was genuinely the only part that made me angry. That is *not* how how you fix the racial divide in Harlem or anywhere else.
>>
>>87109940
A show featuring an almost entirely black cast
set in Harlem
>"too black"
Next you'll be telling me House has too much medical shit
>>
>>87109940

No. No black person listens to Jidenna.

>>87109971
>In 2016 he's #blacklivesmatter

He was not even BLM. In fact this version of Cage was more of a black conservative

Too me the biggest flaws of the show is the changes made to Cage's personality as well as his origin and backstory growing up on the streets of NY. I wonder how this'll affect his dynamic with Danny.
>>
>>87109940
Black and Boring.
>>
File: Bx1hMr_CQAAOVgp.jpg (22KB, 468x343px) Image search: [Google]
Bx1hMr_CQAAOVgp.jpg
22KB, 468x343px
BRING IT UP WITH LUKE CAGE AT THE BARBER SHOP
>>
>>87110108

One more thing, the show was marketed with a mid 90s hip hop vibe, yet we got blaxploitation-lite. Kinda jarring but it worked in the end. Wasn't as gritty as the other two shows tho.
>>
File: Ct7sYyFXEAAkd9r.jpg (208KB, 702x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Ct7sYyFXEAAkd9r.jpg
208KB, 702x1200px
>>87109940
Not at all. It's really strange to see that attitude. How sheltered are you that you lose your bearings if you don't see a white person on a tv show? Did you not watch UPN?
>>
>>87110131
>Boring

I disagree. It wasn't boring, but it was def played safe. They took out his street origins to avoid triggering SJWs, and they heavily downplayed Rackham and the Seagate stuff to avoid offending the conservatives.
>>
>>87109940
maybe you have shit taste in music
>>
>>87109940
I had a problem with how bad the show became after Cottonmouth died.
That and the lead vharacter not being very charismatic.
>>
>>87109940
https://twitter.com/CommanderLovely/status/782661087233708032?s=09
>>
File: 1476517783744.jpg (118KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1476517783744.jpg
118KB, 1600x900px
>people on this thread, right now, that preferred Cottonmouth over Diamonback even though Cottonmouth was *literally* Kingpin
>>
>>87110173
I'm annoyed by the implication that anyone who doesn't like the show needs to admit their racism.

Like maybe they just didn't like it dog.
>>
>>87110258
while Diamondback was *literally* shit
>>
>>87109940
It's "cool black," which is the primary problem. You're presented with a cast of nothing but caricatures, where the "everyone that is important is the slickest black person ever" thing runs nonstop and makes it seem pretty unapproachable. Granted it's a comic show and you can't expect anything but ridiculous character acting due to the source material, but there definitely could have been something better developed.

It seems like in media, you're presented with three black male characters: the super cool/muscled/slick black guy, the weeabo Urkel black guy, and the guy in drag for comedic effect. It's hard to think of anything that bucks that aside from something connected to David Simon.
>>
>>87110370
Diamondback was the only character on the show that remembered he came from a comic book.
>>
i expected it to be 'too black' for me, but instead, i thought it was great. i had no problem with it at all
>>
>>87110298
i mean, he said he didn't like it because it was "too black." idk how much more you want it spelled out for you
>>
>>87110399
to be fair, Daredevil was "cool white."
>>
>>87110456
Yeah and then he tells twitter to admit THEIR racism, is my point.

That's why I said everyone.

i.e. he's projecting his issues onto everyone else.

Like good on him for going "huh i'm being weird about this show I'll give it another chance", that is personal growth of a sort.
>>
>>87110399
How about the cop from Daredevil
>>
>>87110467

This. These kinds of crime shows and movies run on cliches and exaggerations, it's baked into the framework of noir and pulp.
>>
I think it's cool that even the main villains are black.There's no omnipresent evil generic "WHITE MAN", being the big bad guy fucking everyone over and being generic evil rich megalomaniac.

S'just Black People hurting each other.
Shit, most white people are getting paid BY black people in charge to fuck over OTHER black people in the show.
>>
File: Out.png (1MB, 899x636px) Image search: [Google]
Out.png
1MB, 899x636px
>>87109940
OH NO, YOU HAVE TO EXPERIENCE SOMETHING FROM A FOREIGN PERSPECTIVE. HOW TERRIBLE
>>
>>87110532
i liked him a lot. he should get promoted to the comic.
>>
Who had the best musical number, and why was it Jidenna?
>>
>>87110399
Why the fuck would you want to watch a show about regular people doing regular people shit?

Also, you forgot about the wise old black man who may or may not be two weeks away from retirement and the innocent/gifted athlete/smart kid who's really gonna make it out of the ghetto unless a stray bullet takes his life and teaches everyone an important lesson.
>>
>>87109940
>>87109940
It was fine. I couldn't connect fully but I'm not sure if I could call that a factor of the blackness. Then again I'm a rich Asian (and not from America) so I'm probably as culturally far from a black guy as possible.
>>
>>87109940
As a black dude I find myself unconsciously distancing myself away from things that highlight the stereotypical facets of Black American life. Things like drugs and crime and the glorification of violence, all the while touting the history of blacks in america. In the latter's case there are two extremes most of the time. One side is the scholarly, intelligent kind, but they hate white people. The other side is the thuggish, ghetto kind... and they hate it when you act white. Of course there is a happy medium, but off the top of my head the worst example I've seen for the former is 'Dear White People'...

Moving on, I distance myself from crime movies and similar things because I don't want to deal with that. There's enough of it in life, which is why shit like Training Day was just unsettling to me.

However, I got the same vibe from Luke Cage along with something different. I was actually a bit... inspired? Whatever the word is, I liked what I saw. I saw a respectable role model for people, not just black people, and a good example of a good man. And that was just from the trailer.

My poor ass doesn't have Netflix, so.... Anyway, I didn't feel that the trailer was too black after watching it again, and I'd definitely be interested in watching the show. I'm also very glad they didn't give him the stereotypical black guy personality, I feel this one is far more poignant.
>>
>>87110108
but he grew up in georgia in the show
>>
File: image.png (341KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
341KB, 1334x750px
>>87109940
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4mVPOOL0w3c
>>
Because you're racist and having a show in which black people aren't idiots disturbs you.
>>
>>87109940
I am white as fuck and loved it and really enjoyed season 1 of Boondocks.
>>
>>87110693
>Why the fuck would you want to watch a show about regular people doing regular people shit
I feel like I said stuff that illustrates that I understand the nature of the comic show beast, but whatever.

And I agree with the old wise black man, forgot about him. But the kid that gets the bullet is essentially the Urkel, aka the black person that has the attributes commonly associated with whites.
>>
>>87110173
LMAO what a fucking pussy(your picture i didn't even read what you said, carry on*continues scrolling page 1*)
>>
>>87110069
>all the fucking police department is black
>somehow racist and biased
>like there's a racist white guy behind the curtains of the police station forcing them to be racist
I had no problem with the whole cast being black
I had a problem when it talked about racism while white people were the least present, least threatening group in the show
It looks like black americans have their own city and there's still racism somehow???
>>
>>87110966
The police department is actually very racially diverse. Watch it again.

>>87110069
It's one of the lessons Luke learns, that running away is not the option, and he gives himself up to the police in the end.

It's like you people are looking for things to complain about.
>>
Nope. It was good until it totally shit the bed. Cottonmouth was holding the wheel thing together.
>>
>>87110755
As a Native Canadian(metis) I envy you dude, we don't have any cultural equivalent of Luke Cage. All the American Native capes are like fucking Tomahawk Man and Chief Bear of Whooping Ass.
Like I mean the retarded stereotypes get old eventually.
>>
>>87110239
It had plenty of white guys. They were just all evil.
Except for that guy Diamondback punched, but we all know nobody's THAT nice.
>>
>>87110422
Cottonmouth used a rocket launcher on a building
>>
>>87111077
I feel you. If it's any consolation, both of my grandmothers were Native American, although I have no inkling or connection to their heritage, and if they did they certainly didn't practice or preach it. One of them grew up on a farm.

But hey, there's... ah, COnnor Kenway probably isn't a good example (although I loved him as a character). The native american family from Beyond: Two souls? They weren't very stereotypical once you got to know them. Tight family unit and tight to their beliefs yes.
>>
Not sure if OP is bait or not but I am the whitest individual and I enjoyed it except for the bits that felt like advertisement rather than story. That's because I don't need to be something to enjoy it and get something out of it.

>>87111077
Would you rather that or Canadian theme? Maple leaves, Snow and Hockey.
>>
Maybe because I expected the show to be about mostly black people that it didn't really occur to me to care or notice the lack of white people. Be prepared for Black Panther to be the same way, dudes.
>>
>>87111360
Or being really cordial and friendly. And sexist.
>>
>>87111098
>They were just all evil

Misty's tech helper Bailey was good as well
>>
>>87110399
>It's "cool black,"

That's comic Luke Cage. Netflix version was made into a straight-laced, corny, son of a preacher character.
>>
Yes, black people scare me
>>
PROTIP: OP has been copy-pasted from /tv/
>>
>>87110755
>I feel this one is far more poignant

Nah it's far too in the opposite direction. Luke should never be as straight-laced as they presented him.

>>87110806
And it was completely pointless. It added nothing. Cage growing up in NY would've fit in better with the street-level aesthetic of those shows

>>87110966
What racism did they talk about other than the heavy-handed speech of the n-word? And they literally made the cops black to avoid offending white people
>>
>>87110108
>He was not even BLM. In fact this version of Cage was more of a black conservative
I thought those didn't exist in fiction anymore. Last one that I remember seeing was Icon, and even he became milquetoast in Young Justice. Crazy.
>>
>>87111319
Yeah, there's never really been a cape hero who dealt with REAL native issues in any way that I can think, maybe some hokey environmental thing. Like in Canada it's the natives who got ghettoized more. I guess El Diablo is kinda close, the Mexican gangs seem a lot like the native gangs but more hopped up and less smashy. Not quite but close. You you, he calls somebody a pendejo but nobody exclaims "Ehhh, weenuk!"("ah cock!").
>>
No, but according to /pol/ I'm a white nigger so what do I know.
>>
>>87111360
>>87111383
Both?
Funnyyou say that other stereotype Me and my artist buddy are actually working on our own capeverse and Both of those steriotypes describes one of the teams I'm writing lol. The Native character is like the robin to some big dumb fucking Mountie who rides a moose and is like a cross between batman and the tick. But I'll not shitpost about my not even quite a project
>>
I have watched 0 episodes of this show and as a non-American I've already seen more black people on it than I have in real life. The idea of problematic racism towards them in the US eludes me because blacks have only existed in media to me.
>>
>>87110173
>Did you not watch UPN?
Whoa woah WOAH

Let's not chain down the entire race by implying that UPN had anything of value to offer to anyone; whatever good was on that channel was erased by the shit quality of the channel itself.
>>
>>87109940

Nah I thought it was good so far from what I have seen.
>>
>>87109940
Me.

I just got bored because I couldn't relate to what they're even discussing.

All those blacktivity and blaxploitation talk got me ehhhhh..
>>
>>87110966
>all the fucking police department is black

wow thanks for confirming you didn't watch the show
>>
>>87111733
Native canuck guy here
You just described why I can't watch Modern family for the fucking life of me.
So much fucking upper middle class california bullshit it bugs to to the point of discomfort. Oooh the uncle is a gay puffball, big fucking deal my cousin is a male prostitute meth addict.
Really sucks because I love Ed O'Neal, even on the bits of the show I could stomach.
>>
>>87109940
Well, it was a total minstrel show, so no, I don't think it was too black. Unless by "too black" you meant "too Aunt Jemima and Uncle Remus."
>>
>>87111492
Do they make your pussy wet and tingly?
>>
>>87109940
I found it an interesting perspective, especially as a European. Plus, all the 'black' music was top tier
>>
>>87109940
Woolie put it best. Every other line every character said was "Black Blackity Black-Black Black"
>>
>>87109940
the racial issues are used to enhance the narrative of the series, they are not shoehorned in to pander to stupid liberal retards.

If your brain can't delve into the story and enjoy it because it deals with "social topics" you are has short minded has the SJW that praise the series for such "social topics"
>>
>>87111801
Ed O'Neill is great. I tried sitting through the '03 version of Dragnet for him; the show was too damn long, but he was a decent Friday.
>>
>>87111943
>they are not shoehorned in to pander to stupid liberal retards
How do you figure? It was basically White Guilt: The Show.
>>
>>87111972
*Ed O'Neill
I suck at remembering name stuff.
>>
>>87112020
its only white guilt if you felt guilty anon :^ )
>>
>>87111943

Blacks themselves say the show is trying too hard to be black and its embarrassing to watch.
>>
It did feel Black but in a hot, sweaty, sexy kind of way.

I wanted to fuck the living daylights out of Misty and had a decent enough fap to the wonky-eyed nurse.
>>
>>87109940
I felt that way during some scenes, but I feel like if I was in a big city in America even if I was white I'd understand it more.

>>87109971
>In 2016 he's #blacklivesmatter

The only one who ever mentioned Black Lives Matter was the corrupt politician who believed her ends justified the means, and then ended up being a full on crime lord and got fucked by her uncle and killed her brother.

It's a more honest portrayal of BLM we've ever gotten in any media.
>>
>>87110966
>It looks like black americans have their own city and there's still racism somehow???

All the black cities are poor as fuck because the majority of poor people are black. It's more of a class issue. But nobody talks about that.
>>
>>87112122
Who says that, and why would lend any credence?
Since when do a handful of people speak for an entire group?
>>
>>87112122
this is not true, source my black ass and my black ass twitter feed.
>>
>>87111801
I haven't watched much Modern Family, but upper middle class California bullshit is pretty much how I felt about Weeds. As soon as they wrote out the black people, the show went from white as fuck to way too white for me.
>>
>>87112176
I hear it's related to most black people being raised by single mothers, to be honest.
>>
>>87109940
yep. doesn't really *jive* with me. coming from a country and culture where we couldn't give a rat's ass about black people, this isn't reaching DD/JJ levels of popularity over here.

Hell, among my geek circle, I'm the only one to have finished it. And only playing as background noise for some of the later episodes.
>>
>>87112176
Well, if they talk about the class angle, they'd have to talk about money. And not that penny-ante Affirmative Action shit, I'm talking about real money flow. Investments. REPARATIONS. Being socially conscious is one thing, but doing anything that might cut into the bottom line is another thing altogether.

Besides, class talk is commie talk.
>>
>>87112264
yes its not because black people weren't allowed to own anything until 150 years ago and weren't allowed to move out of their poor communities until 50 years ago (by law anyway)

look up generational wealth when you get the chance
>>
>>87110173
What's UPN? I like seeing white people on TV. We don't get them either over here so they're nice to see. Blackies? No thanks.
>>
>>87112020
>White Guilt: The Show

How do you figure? White people aren't important enough to make anyone feel guilty unless it's weird baggage they're bringing to their own experience.
>>
>>87110573
I watch American & British TV shows all the time. All of those are foreign to me.
>>
>>87109940
I got annoyed when they compared the hoodie bullshit to trayvon martin.

Little nigglet attacked a wetback and got shot.
>>
Should I watch Jessica Jones before I watch this show, or can I jump right into it?

Are there any references I might miss?
>>
>>87112303
You don't have to say that for my sake. I fully realize that something so widespread cannot be tethered to just one thing and one thing alone, and the reason you stated is by far the one that not onnly makes the most sense, but is the most widely recognized.

But no one really talks about the single mother thing, so it wouldn't be, of course. America and black people in particular worship their mothers.

The testimony I've heard is that black families were wealthier and better off with a man in the family, and the rise of the welfare state destroyed that. Couple that with society's worshiping of single mothers and the fact that, since so many black children are parented by single mothers in bad neighborhoods where said children are fathered by the product of said bad neighborhood, and frequent born due to bad planning and/or an easy welfare/child support check, it is a vicious cycle. Not the cause for it, but I highly doubt it helps.

This is coming from someone who grew up in that environment, where girls thought that getting pregnant at 16 was a good idea or didn't even bother to avoid it. The same girls were raised by single mothers. The ones who weren't stayed away from girls like that. Boys ended up smoking pot and drinking and doing drugs as early as thirteen and ended up in gangs.
>>
>>87109940
My biggest gripe was that Luke Cage himself had no charisma and was boring as shit. I don't know if that's how he was written or if thats just because Mike Colter is just boring.
>>
>>87112020
>White Guilt: The Show.
How was it "White Guilt" when the most corrupted people in the show were black?
>>
>>87112354
the only thing you miss is that claire (night nurse) meets Luke in JJ, but there aren't any significant or hanging plot threads from JJ that you can't watch it and not completely understand everything going on
>>
>>87112354
They reference the way Luke and Claire met in JJ, but you don't really need to see it to get it.
>>
>>87112354
I'm actively trying to purge everything about Jessica Jones from my memory and Luke Cage surprisingly didn't remind me much of it, so I guess you can jump right into it.
>>
>>87112376
To add, a bad start means a difficult race (no pun intended). However when you don't even try to go faster or improve your time, it doesn't get easier.
>>
>>87112310
United Paramount Network, a network created by Paramount Television and a fiberglass company. It's where Star Trek went to die. Anon name-dropped it because it had a lot of shows with black-majority casts, either through syndication or original programming.

I miss when white people were a novelty to me, rather than a constant source of disgust and confusion. I don't know what "white guilt" feels like, but it must be a horrible, horrible thing. I've had multiple near-death experiences, and as desperate as I was at those times, I would never have accepted being cucked, or chaining myself up to a slave walk, or giving money to people that actively work against me, just to make the pain stop.
>>
>>87112388

Black Mariah was Hillary Clinton in disguise.
>>
>>87112376
Nothing you said is inherently pathological of black people though. Whites, latinos, asians, natives, all have the same issues in poor communities. You're describing a symptom, I described a cause.
>>
>>87112443
And I didn't refute what you said. I fully admitted that while it doesn't help, I doubt it's the cause. I originally stated this is just the testimony I have heard. My addition was that if you have a bad start to a race, you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, I enjoy this discussion, fyi.
>>
>>87112431
Well considering Hilary is the actual racist...
>>
>>87112376
I think it's less the welfare state than the war on drugs that really destroyed the black family. Nixon's war on drugs was targeted on hippies and blacks (aka people who didn't vote for him) and when you send fathers to prison, you get kids raised by single mothers. Then those kids never learn what it means to be a father because they didn't really have one and it spirals out of control from there. You have generations who think prison is inevitable and having hope for anything else is a waste of time. Dysfunction over time becomes normal. The biggest threat to the black community is a lack of hope. You can't expect people who don't value themselves to value other people.

You can argue that when you make it easier for broken families to exist, you don't provide an incentive to fix the problem, but it's not really a cause.
>>
>>87111077
/pol/'d native metis canadian here.

We have it good enough with hollywood jews romanticizing our history into 'noble nomads' that peacefully live off the land, goy.
>>
>>87109940
>too black

Shut up, whitey.
>>
>>87112466
Also, there is nothing inherently wrong with single parenthood, except that it compounds when you have poor single mothers. Middle Class single parents with stable incomes and flexible work environments can easily raise children by themselves because their wealth makes way for parenting resources. Day-care, after school programs, etc.

Wealth having such a more proportionate impact that children who are raised in middle class homes with one parent are probably statistically better off than children raised in poor two parent homes.
>>
>>87112473
>Hillary is one of the actual racists

Fixed that for ya.
>>
I've heard my dad call black people nigger multiple times and he's visibly uncomfortable when listening to hip-hop music.

He liked the show.

Sounds like you're a bitch OP.
>>
>>87112519
Financially or emotionally, or both? I mentioned the unsaid stigma of single parenthood because in poorer families it does seem to have an impact. Of course in middle class it I'd assume it largely would not, because these are people who have their shit together. Stable job and so forth. However, the former is a situation where welfare checks and so on are prevalent. That is, stereotypical black neighborhoods.

Which brings me back to the point about single parents, which I am referring to mothers, who are most of the time the product of single parenthood and teen pregnancies as well. These by contrast are people who do not have their shit together, so of course one parent over two would have a definite negative impact upon child rearing, as it's been shown.

However there's also the contention that poorer families with both parents, together, or even the father instead, are better off as well. At the very least, the child is more emotionally sound.

The internet is full of stories though, so I'd endeavor to be a bit of an empiricist. And in my experience, the kids who had their fathers and stayed with them rather than their mother, ended up better.

>>87112570
There was a black kid I used to know that called people nigger all the time. It's a funny word.
>>
>>87112570
Your dad sounds like a racist.
>>
>>87112482
>Do criminal things
>Get put in jail
Don't derp. Biggest threat to the black community is being able to live without doing any work for income. The government are these children's fathers.
>>
>>87112613
He is. If he could get through this show then OP should have no problem with it.
>>
>>87112630
>White Gummint daddy > Black man
True story, evidently.
>>
>>87112646
That right there is real slavery and blacks welcome it because gibmedats
>>
>>87112657
And the hustle is spending all of your money on the latest shoes or designer clothing. Shit, man. When I was a kid my mother would always tell me to tell my father to buy me new, expensive clothes. It was ridiculous.

And then she'd steal them... and sell them.
>>
>>87109940
Actual hood nigga here.

The show is not really black at all, so I don't even know what you're talking about.

It's more like how quentin tarantino portrays black people.
>>
>>87111077
>>87111319
It probably doesn't help that while White America was fine with subjugating black Americans, they were allowed to create their own culture, but with the Native Americans, White America (and especially Canada) went WELL out of it's way to genocide and destroy Native America's culture as well.
>>
>>87112734
You just reminded me of a book that documents that pretty well. A People's History of the United States. It's a great book, but really makes me want to bang my head against the wall at America.
>>
>>87112176
And a lot of them are in city areas that are now becoming desirable and getting gentrified, being bought up by millennial wanting somewhere authentic and proper developers seeking opportunity.
>>
>>87110298
Not liking the show is fine. There are plenty of "black shows" that are terrible.
The issue is if someone doesn't like it specifically because "there's too many black people and I can't relate"
>the weeabo Urkel black guy,
You know, for the impact that this character created, I don't think I've actually seen a character like Urkel in YEARS.
>>
>>87112764
black mob violence
>>
>>87112756
Yeah, I did a brief study on the Native Americans in college.

America's history with the Native Americans is pretty ugly, which is probably why they don't teach it during primary school.
If America thinks BLM is bad, imagine what would happen if the Native Americans made a comeback.
>>
>>87112853
Uunfortunately there's not enough Native Americans to make a ccomeback.
>>
>>87110258
>Literally liking that over the top bad acting villain over the GOAT Cottonmouth.
>>
>>87109940

Well aren't you a jive little turkey.
>>
>>87109940
I found it boring above all else to be honest. i think it's healthy to peer into other "cultures" as it were. but if they included their symbolism in a shorter episode count with better action, better villains and a not boring story, they could have had an excellent piece of television. also luke wasn't "black" enough if you ask me.
>>
>>87111535
>It added nothing

Not true. It gave chances to help world build. By having Cage be relatively new to Harlem we had a chance for a main character to have moments of exposition and world building about things in harlem through him instead of shoehorning in some audience avatar fanfic OC donut steel. Like the scene of Pop talking about where he got his name from, or how the barbershop is switzerland, and all these other little world building touches that we just wouldnt get if as well if Luke was a native of harlem.
>>
>>87110564
I really liked that. I expected Diamond back to be some racist ass texas oil man and was genuinely surprised when he turned out to be just Stryker
>>
>>87109940
I'm 7 episodes in and the only thing that I found "too black" or "tryhard black" was Misty Knight proving she can play basketball in a scene that amounted to absolutely nothing.

Other than that there were some season 1 The Wire feels to it strenghtened by The Wire actors cameos.

All things considered Luke Cage is quite fine, but sadly I feel that Marvel TV parallels Marvel Big Screen in starting strong and quick nosedive to mediocrity.
>>
>>87109940
I hope /TV/ threads like this don't become the norm here
>>
>>87111929
To be fair, Woolie also said he really enjoyed it.
>>
>>87112122
You mean that one black guy you know
>>
>>87110069
To be fair, on top of all of that they also think he's a cop killer. That part more than being black was keeping him away.
>>
>>87112473
>> Hillary Super Predators Clinton
>>
>>87112853
Pretty sure BLM would cry about attention being taken away from them.
>>
>>87109940
Is Iron Man too rich for you? Captain America too white?

Show dragged on and was at points too on the nose/forced like with the rapper. But otherwise felt like standard Marvel fare.
>>
>>87112765
Closest that comes to mind is the side kick from psyche. He was awkward as fuck in terms of similar personalities.

>>87111098
Did you watch the show?
Cop that got killed was loved by everyone.

The swat team lead talking to the chief was good. He was just a politically aware concerned hard ass. Listen to what he says about the weapons.

A bunch of other no name cops just doing their job.

And I can't remember every person, but I highly doubt the prison had an all white male staff.

So what more do you want? No more evil white guys?
>>
>>87114603
There was a black prison guard thinking on it now, he was one of the corrupt ones that confronted Squabbles about what he talked with Luke about
>>
>>87112376
Not going to run off topic, but chances are there plenty of groups that do have concern about the single family problem. However you just aren't looking.

I say that because I hear the shit blasted from fox news, talked about in church sermons, and volunteer groups that preach the dangers of having kids you can't support.

Its like Chicago's out of control black on black crime nobody thinks anything is being done about it because CNN didn't tell them about it.

>>87112386
Agreed. I kept expecting him to lighten up and throw in some personality as things got better. But nope, just grim. LC/IF chemistry is looking to be weak if he doesn't improve.
>>
>>87110636

I love Jidenna, so I lost my shit when the episode kicked off with him.
>>
>>87109940
>black people make me uncomfortable

theres a place for people like you, its called
>>/pol/
>>
I liked it as a community show. Matt cares about Hell's Kitchen, and he takes it personal, but he's more of a controversial figure. His mask prevents him from being everyone's hero.

Luke, on the other hand, is a well-known guy in Harlem, and everyone's seen his face. He seems less like a superhero and more like a guy who's just trying to clean up the neighborhood. That stood out to me when he was held at gunpoint by that kid.
>>
>>87110173

I will say it was kinda jarring to have the first white person with a speaking role you see be...who, the kitchen manager? And maybe Scarfe? After and before the cast was almost exclusively black. I don't expect that from much television, much less much Marvel.

I like how black the show is.
>>
>>87110258

C-can I like both?

Cottonmouth was almost sympathetic, very nuanced and I liked that. Diamondback is more MUAHAHAHAHAHA comic-booky, and I like that just as much.
>>
File: 5C.png (311KB, 853x435px) Image search: [Google]
5C.png
311KB, 853x435px
>>87112853

>mfw Natives can unironically say "don't call it a comeback, we've been here for years"
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXqqz3irkAw
>>
>>87110966

>I had a problem when it talked about racism while white people were the least present, least threatening group in the show

yeah it's not like white racism is this looming, ever-present thing black people still worry about or anything
>>
>>87114603
>So what more do you want? No more evil white guys?

yes
>>
Somebody needs to set the opening credits to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZHwGnGrm_k
>>
>>87109940
Each of the marvel netflix series has been based on a different type of tv show/genre. DD S1 was Law and Order, JJ was a detective film noir-ish, DD S2 was kung fu drama with a little Rambo thrown in, Luke Cage is blacksploitation Dolomite-esc.

I liked it a lot in that you actually saw at times Luke trying to fight as a black man against the niggas and toughs without actually becoming one. He would slip occasionally but then he would look at the swear jar or something else important and go back to being himself.

Also it managed to show that there are good characters in harlem without sugar coating it as some awesome center of learning. There were good people and then there were idiots. The whole "Harlem got lots of guns, but no fathers" was a part of a pretty nice conversation.
>>
>>87111077
>>87111319
Has there ever been an Elseworld's where Superman lands in a (modern) Native American reservation as a baby?

That could be genuinely interesting.
>>
>>87116033
We want you happy, healthy, and prosperous.
>>
>>87109940
>TOO black.
Nah, skud. I don't watch Mad Men and think it's too white. I understand it's not typically targeted at my household, but I enjoy it anyway, because it's a fictional story and provides a new perspective.
>>
The only thing I found weird was Luke's 5 minute or so speech when he's at the police station
>>
I was indifferent to it, I felt it was a bit to black but then again I'm a mixed black guy adopted by a white family and I have no personality or drive for anything so my opinion in this is pretty fucking null void.

I thought some things were weird and silly but I don't think it really felt like a real Luke Cage comic that I've read from back then. Feels like a watered downed version
>>
File: Lipsmackers.png (43KB, 637x382px) Image search: [Google]
Lipsmackers.png
43KB, 637x382px
>>87109940
OOGA BOOGA SHE LIKE COFFEE? *SMACKS LIPS* *SMACKS LIPS* *SMACKS LIPS*
>>
>>87112601
>There was a black kid I used to know that called people nigger all the time. It's a funny word.

Black people use the N-word. More at Eleven.
Thread posts: 162
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.