[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be real: very few of you here are old enough to have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 9

File: noses.jpg (63KB, 400x575px) Image search: [Google]
noses.jpg
63KB, 400x575px
Let's be real: very few of you here are old enough to have actually been reading comics during the Bronze Age, let alone the Silver Age.

We all reach back, but just how deep do you go? Do you do it for curiosity, continuity with Marvel and DC, or maybe just to get a taste of something different? What's the oldest comic you've read?
>>
>>87103731
> What's the oldest comic you've read?
The Adventures of Tintin
>>
>>87103731
I read golden age stuff like OG green lantern all the time, shit's hype and holds up really well.
>>
>>87103731
>What's the oldest comic you've read?
Detective Comics #1 probably, I've never been a fan of those early comics. I do love Silver Age shit though, especially ASM. Every now and then I'll just pick a random number from 2 to 120 and read a few issues.

>Let's be real
Yeah, born just in time for the Clone Saga of all things.
>>
Some X-Men comic where the Beast died, and then it turned out he did not. Beast was really weird and human-like in it, and there was Toad in it who was green as fuck.
>>
Will Eisner
>>
>>87103882
People tend to not realize that talent doesn't really progress in a linear fashion through history; there's really good, contemporary-style comic books as early as the 1910s.
>>
>>87103731
Oldest is probably Little Nemo, and some other comic strips.

Comic book-wise I guess oldest is the Superman stories from Action Comics via Superman Chronicles. I also read PD Golden Age stuff on Digital Comic Museum too.
>>
>>87104021
>doesn't know beast used to have no blue hair
>>
>>87103731
Most golden age comics are actually pretty bad, especially the ones people are most likely to have read like Batman. Golden Age Batman is interesting to read, but it's not actually good. God-tier golden age shit is Plastic Man, Blackhawks and Captain Marvel

As for silver age a lot of that is legitimately good, especially Marvel
>>
>>87103731
I don't actively seek out old comics, so whatever's storytimed here. I think the oldest I've read was early early Namor.
>>
>>87103731
Krazy Kat or Hal Foster Tarzan.
>>
My favourites from each decade:

>1930s
The Adventures of Tintin
>1940s
Asterix, Wonder Woman
>1950s
Supergirl
>1970s
The Chronicles of Conan, Spider-Woman
>>
>>87104255
Marvel Silver/ broze Age is my jam.
>>
>>87104255
A lot of comics by Joe Simon and later the Simon/Kirby duo had better panel composition and were less stiff than some of the more celebrated Silver Age books. It's kinda funny, really.
>>
>>87104532
The only 40s Kirby I've seen is early Captain America which doesn't even look like the same artist. I've been meaning to look for some stuff the 2 did in the 50s but I haven't read any of it yet
>>
File: My Love Book.png (219KB, 484x500px)
My Love Book.png
219KB, 484x500px
>>87103731
Old stuff just appeals to me. For superheroes the Bronze Age in particular has that right mix of seriousness and comic book pageantry. But aside from that I've been reading old Simon/Kirby romance comics and for Halloween I like to check out EC horror comics. It's a lot like film where people don't really realize how good things were before the Comics/Hayes Code.

But I really just like delving into comics because I love comics. Oldest thing would maybe be Krazy Kat.
>>
Little Nemo is the oldest I've read and enjoyed.

I've read everything Marvel published between 1961- Sept 1974 (just started this month today actually), excluding westerns and golden age reprint series. The oldest issue I own is Avengers #2, which I snagged for $4 here in Japan (I'm assuming it belonged to an old soldier and was sold off by their haffu kid)

I genuinely love the era, but I think it's hard to read comics that old on a computer screen. It's a tactile experience and best enjoyed as if you were a kid reading comics back then - it makes me excited and nostalgic to read old works, and I love knowing the actual history of stories I'd heard about, instead of just reading a summary.

When I was a kid, and I missed an issue, or read a footnote telling me to read a story ten years back, I'd make up my own stories. Imagination was key, and it lent itself well to such a fantastic medium. And it made finding that back issue that much more exciting. We take it for granted now, because we can download everything, but it was such a great feeling, it often eclipsed the actual emotional response of the work itself.

Reading old comics is like that. Sure, I don't need to read it, but it makes me feel like a kid again to be able to do so.
>>
>>87103731
old school Metal Men
some god blessed anon storytimed them a while ago and it was some of the best fun I had with comics lately
>>
File: newfun1_01.jpg (2MB, 1099x1600px)
newfun1_01.jpg
2MB, 1099x1600px
The oldest comic I've read is the first comic DC ever published, but that was for novelty and not enjoyment. 99% of golden age comics are terrible.

I genuinely enjoy a lot of Silver and Bronze age stuff.
>>
>>87105181
99% of all comics are terrible, you nut.
>>
>>87104583
I love golden age Cap because he's not treated like an inspirational figure at all, and no one knows he's Cap. He's just a huge dick pulling pranks on everyone and is constantly being punished for starting shit.
>>
>>87105240
But back then hardly anyone was even trying.
>>
>>87105278
You can say the same about the 90's. It's all about what you want to see.
>>
>Read a pre-WW2 comic
>Narration calls something a "holocaust."
>It means the original definition, a fiery sacrifice.
>Nothing can ever use that word in that way again.
Feels odd.

>>87104583
Your art tends to change after 30 years.
>>
>>87103731
Someone storytimed The Adventures of Obadiah Oldbuck here, it was actually kind of entertaining.

Other than that, I think the oldest I've read is The Adventures of Tintin, starting in 1929.

Older comics aren't bad. Some of the art can be primitive, sure, and the storytelling is still evolving, but I find that art and storytelling evolution fascinating. I read comics from all of the Ages.
>>
>>87103731
Probably action #1 but there might have been a couple of things before that.
Scoop scanlan was the best story in that issue followed by zatarra.

Its really wierd to think zatara has been around just as long as superman.
>>
>>87104003
I have never been able to find a scan of detective #1
Or most of detective #27 for that matter.
>>
>>87103731

Oldest ive read was back to the fifties. It was physically painful. I backlog because I am autisticand I have to know the whole narrative and all the history, because I want to understand, and because I can't stand jumping in to something partway. It drives me absolutely bonkers. Sadly though I do enjoy them, comics are their continuity are not kind to men like me.
>>
>>87105522
Auctualy no i just remembered tintin is a little older then action.
>>
>>87105522
I still have yet to read a comic book car chase better then scoop scanlan.
I should try and find a scan of action #2 see what happens next.
>>
>>87103731
Probably golden age GL or Spectre

>Do you do it for curiosity, continuity with Marvel and DC
bit of both, I've read back to the silver age for GL, LOSH, Flash, Hawkman and JLA
>>
The oldest i've read had been like Detective Comics with the first appearance of Batman. And some now and then i read comics from the silver age, mainly of characters i kind of like but not for the continuity. I've read My Greatest Adventure for the Doom Patrol runs and Tales of Astonish for the Ant-Man
>>
>>87103731
I started reading comics out of a box of silver-bronze age comics my father had.

I like reading things chronologically, I actively collected back issues for ten years until I was around 14-15 when I read Civil War which was the first comic I read which was created during my own lifetime, I thought it was the best shit I've ever read.

So for all intents and purposes I did grow up in the bronze age.
>>
Fantastic Four volume 1
>>
>>87103731
Earliest I've got is the Bronze Age, early 70s.

Downloaded a list of all Marvel Events and read them all. Frankly I really couldn't stand some of the bronze age writing (the fact that this were pre digital reissues scans didn't help)

I've been eyeing Kirby era Marvel, and pre CCA 50s comics for a while, there's allegedly some great stuff there, but nowadays my nation's comics and some european stuff occupies most vintage reading time.
>>
>>87103731
1940 something. Classics Illustrated's Don Quixote. This was one of my first comics, found it in my dad's attic when I was a kid in terrible condition. Still own it.
>>
>>87105554
I'm pretty sure they're on RCO
>>
>>87107337
They are
>>
File: 9-6-4cap1.jpg (49KB, 400x352px)
9-6-4cap1.jpg
49KB, 400x352px
>>87103731
My love of comics started with Silver Age Marvel and DC mags my dad fished out of the basement one day when I was 4, so I guess it's a sort of second-hand nostalgia.

Also I guess I just have a acquired taste for older conventions, particularly those of the Golden and Silver Ages. The slightly stilted yet pseudo-Shakespearean dialogue, the zany plots written a page at a time, the randomly bold words, ending every sentence with an exclamation point! I love it all!

The oldest comic I've read? Probably those Buster Brown comic strips.
>>
Sensation Comics. It turns out the S&M stuff is real.

The Outbursts of Everett True. Technically a comic strip but it's the oldest comics-related thing I've ever read.
>>
>>87103731

Action Comics #1 but that's about it for the Golden Age because it's just poorly written and poorly drawn garbage. I can find some appeal in Silver age books though
>>
Red Raven #1

The Golden Age had better; let's leave it at that.
>>
>>87103731
I read a bunch of silver and even golden age comics that were storytimed here on /co/. Does that count?
>>
>>87103731
I haven't really read much Golden Age stuff and I find even a lot of Silver Age stuff can be a shore to read, even Marvel. Silver Age Legion and the tail end of the Silver Age X-Men. I've tried reading Lee/Kirby but IMO Marvel's stuff doesn't start becoming good until Roy Thomas gets Avengers and his second X-Men run.
>>
>>87108223
Im reading sensation #1 now
Dam i miss the invisible plane.
Wondys solo film is set in the war right maybe it will make an apperance
>>
>>87109308
Roy Thomas brought comics down to a child's level by using blatantly obvious allusions to literature; it took him quite a few years to find his own voice and begin to play with the mythology in a way he became well known for. I'd go as far as to say it wasn't until Conan that his writing actually matured enough to rival Stan's own strengths years before.

It's difficult to just read and appreciate Lee without understanding how all other comics were written at the time though. It feels dated if you compare it to modern writers (or writers who wrote well into the modern era, like Roy Thomas), but it was positively invigorating for its time.
>>
>>87108223
>It turns out the S&M stuff is real.
Jeez you aint kidding.
>>
>>87103731
Rom Spaceknight, Elvira's House of Mystery, X-men when Kitty and Dazzler were first introduced.
>>
>>87112232
I can see why wondy got popular these are some pretty interesting storys and its a difrent character to most at the time sort of like spidy.
>>
>>87103731
As a avid reading, I hate just starting in the middle of shit, so when I read for a character, I sorta start at the beginning. With Marvel that usually meaning reading as far back as the 60's . DC easy, I just gotta start at the End of Crisis on Infinite Earths(except for Green Lantern and Flash)
>>
>>87112750
Interesting the lasso used to be a tool of control rather then truth.
I think changing to truth was probably for the best (i still miss the plane though)
>>
>>87112889
Looks like the lasso quickly started to be used for interogation anyway.
>>
>>87107337
>>87107366
Different anon. Forgive my ignorance, but what is RCO? I've been looking for those issues too.

As for old stuff I've read, mostly 60's Spider-Man, but I've read scattered issues of older capeshit here and there.
>>
>>87113527
Shit, nevermind, I was thinking torrents. I know what it is.
>>
>>87105566
same feel bro, still watching original doctor Who before I can finally jump into the nu one

thankfully it's good

and same deal with comics
it's either #1 and upwards, either nothing
>>
>>87105566
Continuity only matters if it's the same writer, otherwise you can just get a feel for it as you
Come on, man, contain your autism
>>
>>87112796
>Marvel
>60's
Mate, if you want the full picture you gotta start with Timely back in 1939.
>>
>>87104960
Shit, man. I could not agree more
>>
I've read Kirby's FF, Ditko's ASM, Hamilton & Binder's Superman & Action comics and Hamilton's LOSH. I actually like them. Ditko's Spidey still holds well.Silver age Superman was the best era of Superman, since it didn't involve splashpages of Superman punching aliens and All star superman homages for 20 pages. It all happened in the background and the books were about Superman having weird adventures and Superman saving the day without resorting to violence. Morrison captured it well in All star superman.
>>
>>87114264
Ditko is still alive and answering fan mail, funnily enough.
>>
>>87114013
You really don't, there's no character outside a few apperances of Yellow Claw, Captain America and Sub-Mariner (thanks to Everett re-continuing until his death during the early bronze age) that actually effect continuity in any way, and even those stories are self-contained to the continuity autists of the 60s (Englehart, Thomas, et al)

>>87114135
Cheers dude.
>>
File: oet060715.jpg (87KB, 600x590px)
oet060715.jpg
87KB, 600x590px
Do newsstrips count?
>>
>>87103731
I've been reading a lot of golden age flash, I've made it my goal to read every flash comic before I graduate in June

Wish me luck /co/
>>
>>87117346
Continuity doesn't matter at all.
If you care, you may as well go all-in.
>>
>>87103731
I've got a collection of the first ten or so issues of Superman from the thirties, so pretty far back.
>>
File: 1473772696004.png (1MB, 1600x1600px)
1473772696004.png
1MB, 1600x1600px
>>87103731
I knew I recognized that cover
>>
>>87103731
The Yellow Kid, for comic strips. The Superman Chronicles Vol1-5 for comic books.

I've also read a bunch of Golden Age comics like Batman, Wonder Woman, Bulletman, Nelvana, Johhny Canuck, Broc Windsor and Stardust the Super Wizard.

For non super stuff, I've read a bunch of the EC comis library (Tales from the Crypt, Shock Suspense, Weird Science).
>>
One of the things I like best about Golden Age comics is the covers. They had some of the most dynamic ones of any decade and they just perfectly sum up the idea of the super hero power fantasy.
>>
Also, they where really sexy.
>>
>>87119291
It's one of their few early books where every story ISN'T "fuck Nazis/Jews."

I mean it still is, but less so.
>>
I've read a bunch of Golden Age Superman, a ton of Silver Age, a lot of 80's indie stuff, and 90's DC and Marvel.
>>
>>87105240

Golden Age stuff is pretty one note though. The real development comes in the Silver Age, though Gardner Fox stuff has some of the most white bread charactersimaginable.
>>
>>87119644
Which is interesting because that episodes plot was about nazis
>>
>>87121123
There's still some "FUCK DA KRAUTS" sentiment, but Daring Mystery or Mystic would have been a better fit.
They just wanted to get away with using Marvel #1.
>>
File: submit.jpg (81KB, 323x418px)
submit.jpg
81KB, 323x418px
>>87112232
>>
>>87104583
Kirby's style in the 40's and 50's (and part of early 60's) is very different from his mid/late 60's style that he's more known for.
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.