[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Shows that didn't (objectively) age well. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 14

File: DannyPhantomTitleCard.jpg (25KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
DannyPhantomTitleCard.jpg
25KB, 320x240px
ITT: Shows that didn't (objectively) age well.

I'm not talking about seasonal rot where it lasts too long. I mean shows that have already ended and were beloved at the time, but are objectively trash now.

Pic related.
>Butch can't animate fight scenes
>Cringey humor and poop jokes abound
>Lol what is solid lore and story telling? How does I linear format?
>Danny is a GIANT Gary Stu who materializes powers whenever needed.
>The ghost gimmick would have been cool if Butch wasn't a giant Christian pussy who opted to have the ghosts be inter-dimensional beings who all get super powers instead of cool, shambling ghouls.

Yet it was the most successful cartoon on the prime time block at the time and has dozens of forums asking for a reboot.
>>
>>87100119
some of us saw all of that from the beginning
>>
>>87100119
You sure you didn't just age out othe target demographic?
>>
>>87100135
>>87100155

I think what I'm looking at is that most cartoons at the time were pretty... not good. Aside from your golden age Spongebob and Fairly Odd Parents, Nick had a pretty awful line up starting with Danny Phantom and on wards. Jimmy Neutron was not good, All Grown Up was dated pandering fan fiction, Danny Phantom was the only cartoon with a linear format and it still couldn't get it right. The only show that was worth watching at the time was My Life as a Teenage Robot, but even that didn't last long.
>>
>>87100207
I'll also make note that Invader Zim could have been better had Adult Swim picked it up as originally intended.
>>
>>87100207
>yet it was the most successful
Sounds like they got it plenty right.
>>
>>87100246
Or they would have ruined it with pot humor
>>
>>87100284
Not op, but I doubt Johnen would have used pot humor. His whole thing is gore. If anything, it would have been a Superjail level blood bath featuring aliens every episode.
>>
File: TeenTitansTogether.png (177KB, 500x348px) Image search: [Google]
TeenTitansTogether.png
177KB, 500x348px
People loved this shit, but the dark episodes were edgey middle school cringe, and the humor episodes tumbled into "lol random XD." Also; worst incarnation of Starfire. I hate how annoying they made her. Even her emotional episodes couldn't garner sympathy because of how ditzy and stupid she was.
>>
>>87100367
>edgey middle school cringe
care to elaborate?
>>
>>87100388
I'll give the Raven and her father doomsday arch some credit, because that was cool and well written.

But then there were episodes like the one where Starfire travels back in time and all the titans (save for Robin for some fucking reason) have gone to shambles and found themselves living in depressed squalor because she mysteriously vanished. There's no reason that would happen; they're super heroes. They proved that when Tera got taken. Beast Boy was sad, but they moved on.

Then there's episodes like where Robin gets possessed by the Slade mask, and the entire episode is the Titans thinking Robin is crazy until the very end. The entire purpose being they wanted to break Robin and give him a PTSD arch, but then lol nope it's actually Slade from the dead? Or something?

They can't seem to have a solid reason as to why they need to torture their characters, and then everything reverts back to normal the next episode. The drama shots are really there to promote Hot Topic graphic ts.
>>
>>87100460
Like when Cyborg decides to be the leader of Titans West and they tease Bumblebee/Cyborg for 2 episodes and then drop the entire thing.
>>
>>87100460
>lol nope it's actually Slade from the dead? Or something?
it was a hallucination
I'll give you the starfire episode and the shitty ending to cyborg's arc but I havent really heard anything refering to "middle school cringe" whatever the fuck thats suppose to mean
>>
>>87100119
I've just re-watched it up to Season 2 and it seems to have aged fine so far. Most of your problems are nitpicks for me. It's definitely one of nicks better shows barring season 3.
>>
>>87100491
Mostly the grunting and yelling. The forced drama was pretty unpleasant for the most part. Especially when they had really good emotional episodes like the communication one and the one where Beast Boy becomes a werewolf. But then there's episodes where they just torture characters to elicit drama, and then never bring it up again. It's there to make the show seem darker than it actual is.
>>
File: Fairly_OddParents_Title_Card.jpg (16KB, 422x236px) Image search: [Google]
Fairly_OddParents_Title_Card.jpg
16KB, 422x236px
>>87100542
I have to agree with OP on this, mostly because I never thought Fairly Odd Parents was good. I don't get when this board talks about it's "golden days", because I always thought it was annoying. Timmy is a shitty character, everyone else is one dimensional, and no one ever learns any lessons. Also The wishing gimmick never applied it's own rules and when it did, Timmy always found some sort of loophole. Also, if you go onto any page on TVtropes, the western animation section will have a mention of Fairly Odd parents. It's so unoriginal.
>>
>>87100610
>tvtropes
>>
>>87100155
Good shows can appeal to people outside their target demographic as well. A certain horse cartoon is proof of this
Don't know if it's actually good, but it certainly appealed to a broader audience than they thought
>>
>>87102301
Don't do this.
>>
>>87100542
>>87100610

both of those shows were shit
>>
>>87100367
>>87100119

I thought these shows were bad even when they were new.
>>
>>87100388
Buzzwords.
>>
File: danielle_phantom_by_javidluffy.jpg (137KB, 540x670px) Image search: [Google]
danielle_phantom_by_javidluffy.jpg
137KB, 540x670px
>>87100119
>>Danny is a GIANT Gary Stu who materializes powers whenever needed.

He isnt a gary stu, he has obvious flaws and is fucked over on a lot of times.

>>The ghost gimmick would have been cool if Butch wasn't a giant Christian pussy who opted to have the ghosts be inter-dimensional beings who all get super powers instead of cool, shambling ghouls.

They were always a mix of traditional ghosts and extradimensional beings, and this is a /co/ meme that you took seriously. You can just ask the guy on Twitter and he will not even know where you took this idea from.
>>
File: S01e07_Dairy_King.png (219KB, 284x478px) Image search: [Google]
S01e07_Dairy_King.png
219KB, 284x478px
>>87103516
I never undertsood where the ghosts aren't ghosts thing came from. We see a legit dead guy in season 1. Not to mention Vald's mutant ghosts are the dead animals in his wilderness lodge. So what the ghost realm had more than just ghosts. Normal ghosts get old, when you realize the majority are just box ghost.
>>
>>87103598
Its retarded as fuck.

The mother says in one episode how ghosts work.

The only thing that is show is that there are some beings that arent ghosts on the zone, but are still ectoplasm based creatures.
>>
>>87100119
And
>Sam is a terrible person that gets away with everything because LOL Goth girls are cool
>>
File: 01.png (222KB, 517x440px) Image search: [Google]
01.png
222KB, 517x440px
>>87100610
>tvtropes
FOP haters this is your mindset
>>
>>87103598
Retconned. There's an interview by a fan (zcat6) of Hartman where he suggests that they're just called "ghosts", but really are just beings from another dimension. The interview was conducted between S2 and S3 when the show was already cancelled. This makes it sound like Hartman did originally go for the "ghosts are dead people" approach but later backtracked.

As for his religion, that is just something people have suspected of being a contributing factor, especially when you consider that Hartman is a born-again Christian.

Also, Steve Marmel was already fired at this point, and he was basically the guy who leaned more towards the show being less goofy and having sprawling story arcs and heavy continuity.
>>
>>87100460
Wow, those episodes are some of my favorites.
>>
But Danny Phantom was always shit. It's not like age has made any of that worse.
>>
File: 1473699493351.jpg (36KB, 299x383px) Image search: [Google]
1473699493351.jpg
36KB, 299x383px
>>87100460
>But then there were episodes like the one where Starfire travels back in time and all the titans (save for Robin for some fucking reason) have gone to shambles and found themselves living in depressed squalor because she mysteriously vanished.
you must really have shit taste, how long is forever was a great episode you, what the fuck are you talking about
>>
>>87100207
>Jimmy Neutron was not good
Fight me
>>
>>87104723
Then she got turned into waifubait that wants nothing more than to choke on the ghost dick in the third season
>>
File: Reboot-image.jpg (446KB, 970x546px)
Reboot-image.jpg
446KB, 970x546px
>>87100119
>didn't (objectively) age well.
All of the early 3D CGI series. They look terrible.
Also, what >>87100155 said. Most of the time it's just us aging out of it. Quite a handful of series I liked 8+ years ago, I would now be annoyed by (i.e. Juniper Lee. lots of the Forster's Home episodes, Puffy Ami Yumi etc.)

>>87100119
Pretty sure it felt just as cheesy back then
>>
>>87100367
The episodes were Robin was going crazy were genuinely good.
>>
File: latest.jpg (23KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
23KB, 320x320px
>>87108966
I really wish reboot wasn't unwatchable now. It's got such a well written arch and everything.

Pic related. This was show was such a product of it's time. I rewatched several eps last week and couldn't make it through most of them. It's so mid 00s it hurts. The only funny episodes were when Billy and Mandy weren't around. Dracula and Lord Schnithiga were primo, but most episodes were lol so randum shit.
>>
File: Adventure-Time.png (1MB, 1196x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Adventure-Time.png
1MB, 1196x1076px
>>
>>87108838
See
>>87108966

It does not look good at all. It wasn't even that good looking at the time. It was made using a consumer grade software and written by a guy they plucked out of nowhere who's only other credential was "Olive, the Other Reindeer." It's pretty dull and stupid most times, and other times it's just bizarre to the point of being uncomfortable.
>>
>>87108966
Complaining about bad CGI from the 90s is kind of like complaining classic movies are in black and white. They did the best with the technology of the day.
>>
>>87109344
Is this bait? It was made by the guy who made Kung Pow. And the show looks fine. It's not ugly at all.
>>
>>87109344
Opinions aren't facts

I still find it funny to this day, specially the bizarre parts you didn't like
>>
>>87109281
I'd say the episodes from like 2001-2004 were the best, back when the show was darker and wittier

The episodes from 2005-2007 fit in more with the "lolsorandom" feel you described. The toilet humor is ramped up a lot, and characters like Fred Fredburger are painfully unfunny
>>
File: xkcd_citation_needed_edit.jpg (11KB, 271x271px) Image search: [Google]
xkcd_citation_needed_edit.jpg
11KB, 271x271px
>>87106870
I see this thrown around constantly, but no one actually links to said interview.
>>
>>87110143
There's a video of it. I don't have the link though.
>>
>>87100207
>Jimmy Neutron was not good
stopped reading right there
>>
File: banner_12.jpg (50KB, 600x240px)
banner_12.jpg
50KB, 600x240px
Transformers Armada is a poorly animated and poorly dubbed toy commercial, of course I was too young to realize it 10 or however many years ago it was because toys were/are dope
>>
File: image.png (902KB, 864x703px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
902KB, 864x703px
>>87100119
On the Internet, it seems that a lot of people had a… "thing" for Danny when they were kids.

Are those who liked Danny generally straight women, or faggots?
>>
>>87109281
>>87109460
Grim and Evil was better than Grim Adventures.
>>
>>87110706
He was just a reskin of Timmy Turner
>>
>>87111703
No it wasn't
>>
>>87111723
No, he was older and more handsome than Timmy
>>
>>87111772
The Everyone Loves Uncle Bob episode in particular.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.