[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to lead this off by saying that I despise almost everything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

I want to lead this off by saying that I despise almost everything Marvel does and hate them as a company.

Recently Cage! came out, though, and has done the one thing Marvel does well- give artists free reign to branch out outside of house style. This is the kind of thing they should be applauded for, but apparently when it released, consumers shat all over it and it sold like garbage.

Why is that? Of all the terrible, god-awful books Marvel puts out, why are their actually good or interesting ones the ones that fail? This is like beating a dog when they poop outside then wondering why they keep popping on your house.
>>
>>87093913
There's a reason that Rebirth is doing so well, and it's not because the stories are good. It's because they go out of their way to avoid reinvention or stepping outside the box.
>>
I'm glad somebody else likes this book. The hyper-stylization is off-putting at first but it really adds some character.

Also the 70s injokes are unreal
>>
>>87093913

Sometimes people don't want a lot of change. Sometimes, factors like cost and time make people gracitate towards spending them on things that look better to them since they are paying with some opportunity, and an unusual style may not appeal to them. Sometimes people fail to hear about something, especially with the somewjat lackluster marketing of comics. And sometimes experiments fail to provide successful and/or good comics, that's why they're experiments.

Also, some companies have different stamdards for failure and success than expected.
>>
I don't mind the art, but I would vastly prefer an animated series or shorts than a comic.
>>
>>87094047
>Marvel Nation never
>Great Lakes Avengers shorts in the style of the Plastic Man ones never
>Kid Trinity action shorts never
>Vision shorts about him being bad at doing human things never
>X-Men shorts making JEEAAAAAAAN jokes never
Why even live?
>>
Comics fans, for the most part, are fucking idiots.

When confronted with cool art they are upset because it's not like the house style.

They put more value in the writer on a comic than the artist, but the artist is much more important to a comic. I don't know where this distinction came about. More people go to a movie for the director than they do for the screenwriter. I don't know why comics fans flip the script.
>>
>>87094810

>but the artist is much more important to a comic.

Absolutely false.
>>
>>87094842
>the visual storyteller in a visual storytelling medium is less important than some hack who types some bullshit together and hopes the artist makes them look good

lmao

I bet you imagine yourself a writer, too. Go ahead, literally any fuck can do it.
>>
>>87094842
They are.
>>
>>87094862
>>87094874

A good artist can't save a badly written book. A book with bad art and good writing is still good.

There's a reason nobody remembers artists.
>>
>>87093913
Most comic readers are fucking retards like >>87094842
>>
>>87094965
bad art goes beyond "I DUN LIKE DA FACES"

Good writing can't save bad paneling
>>
>>87094990
>readers

But I thought artists were the most important. Shouldn't they be called "comic lookers?" :^)
>>
>>87093913
>The Vision
>Gwenpool
>Carnage
>Cage!
>all have low sales despite being among the best Marvel titles being released right now
They made an attempt to pander to an emerging market while simultaneously alienating their core audience and failed miserably in both regards. It's an absolute shame that genuinely good titles that they've been producing this year suffer as a result.
>>87094965
Not that anon but Squirrel Girl is unreadable to me, despite being a fan of Ryan North, and that's specifically due to Henderson's shitty art. It's also the reason I didn't bother to read Vote Loki despite the interesting premise. It's a symbiotic relationship between writing and art, both being inferior without the other.
>>
>>87093944
>they go out of their way to avoid reinvention or stepping outside the box

Superman living in a small town with his son is not a reinvention?

They're actually giving Raven a story arc that isn't rehashing Trigon for the 50th time, but it's all just the same shit, right?
Nightwing acting as Batman's world agent, essentially doing the Grayson thing in a tights context, is going right back to fucking status quo, amirite?

What's making Rebirth succeed is they're taking the things that DID work about New 52 and integrating them into a universe with classic elements from New Earth, and using this backdrop to tell good stories.

Why are Marveldrones so buttmad? If anything Rebirth's success in the midst of Civil War II flopping will spell only good things for Marvel in the long run.
>>
>>87095059
>being a fan of Ryan North

Literally why.
>>
>>87094862
>the person who tell a good story is less important than the person who makes it look pretty
>>
>>87094965
You don't even realize how comics work.

Page layout, paneling, flow of action, etc.
Those are integral to a comic. These are creative decisions that the artist has to make and make them fucking work.

Have you ever looked at scripts from comics "writers"? They're garbage and vague. The artist is the one doing 90% of the work. They are the ones who make the story work.
>>
>>87095175
>artists just make the book look pretty
>writers tell the story in a visual medium

You're beyond help.
>>
>>87095176
>this is what artslaves actually believe
>>
>>87095198
>people read comics to look at pictures

reminder that everyone in the world knows Stan Lee, but nobody knows Steve Ditko.
>>
>>87095222
Because Stan Lee was a con artist.

>>87095203
Shit quality post just like the shit quality of talent of comic "writers"
>>
>>87095315
>Because Stan Lee was a con artist.

Spoken like a true artslave.
>>
>>87094965
>A book with bad art and good writing is still good.

Pretty much the whole issue with Starbrand & Nightmask. The writing and story were fine, but I couldn't stomach the art. The only time it was good was half of the fourth issue, where the college students actually looked like college students rather than little kids.
>>
It probably sold poorly because it's only running for four issues and everyone is waiting for the paperback.
>>
>>87095346
Joke's on them since it's still going to cost at least $16. People complain about $3.99 floppies, but Marvel has been jacking up trade prices too.
>>
>>87095104
I liked Dinosaur Comics.
>>
>>87093913
Cage is just too divisive with its style, you either love it or hate it.

I mean, at least poopy books are getting cancelled faster than Korra's viewership's declined and Cage was always meant to be a mini.
>>
>>87095503
Carol still exists.
>>
>>87095525
Current Marvel is stealing Stan Lee's resurrection spells like crazy. Bitch just won't die.
>>
I also liked this issue. The art style is fun and pretty dynamic. Sucks that people hate it because of the look.
>>
In op's page, I saw that lower left hand panel as having Cage's Sweet christmas sticking out.
>>
Just post the jean page
>>
>>87095176
sometimes the writer has a detailed script, sometimes they don't, sometimes the writer might even doodle layouts.

The best comics are where the writer and artist collaborate closely, not where one person is doing most of the work
>>
>>87095419
Get it from IST and it's half off the week of release. 50% off isn't the kind of deal you're going to get from floppies with even the best LCS discount, and you don't have to deal with ads.
>>
The first issue was horrible tho, are we supposed to like the character when he's depicted like a super violent and agressive asshole ?
>>
>>87100085
>I never read pre-Bendis Cage
>>
>>87100116
I never read post-bendis cage either, I just cared about genndy for this
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.