[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>I don't curse >I'm not for hire I'm digging

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

>I don't curse
>I'm not for hire
I'm digging the show, but what's with them going out of their way to make Luke Cage NOT MUH LUKE?
>>
>>86834835
They wanted to add a literary irony to the fact the main villains of the first half of the show was fighting to prevent gentrification and the main hero is a gentrified version of a character built in Harlem's past.
>>
>>86834881
>fighting to prevent gentrification
Wait, is that ACTUALLY what's happening, and they're being depicted as bad guys for it? I figured they were just paying lip service to that in order to get whatsherface re-elected. In fact, they almost said she cared more about re-election than she did about the people there anyway, and she was the one who said politics are "where the real power is." I don't think they're meant to be interpreted as genuinely caring about the community, given how they're robbing locals and shit. But then, I've only seen the first episode so far.
>>
>>86834921
>I figured they were just paying lip service to that in order to get whatsherface re-elected. I

Black Mariah seems to genuinely believe it, she says it straight to Cottonmouth, who she would have no reason to pretend to be sincere around.
>>
Why does he have the hoodie on? It's indoors.
Your momma raised you better than that, Luke.
>>
>>86834921
>>86835214
Yeah, Luke Cage is steeped pretty heavily in respectability politics. However, it should be noted that Mariah's anti-gentrification initiative wasn't based around a loss of community or cultural identity any more than it was about securing a political base. She was also presented as fairly racist, if low-key about it. You really should compare and contrast both Luke and Cottonmouth with her. There is a lot of things that might go over your head if you're not familiar with Black politics and history.
>>
>>86835414
>. However, it should be noted that Mariah's anti-gentrification initiative wasn't based around a loss of community or cultural identity any more than it was about securing a political base.

She outright said the politics was just because that was where the money was, and she wanted to use it to keep Harlem black. Racist, yes, but she wasn't only concerned with a political base, she was just greedy and willing to let someone make the world way worse if it meant she got to keep what she felt she deserved.
>>
>>86835247
Trayvon "Dindu Nuffin" Martin reference
>>
>>86834835
Who are you that you have a Luke Cage that swears but is also for hire?

Any Cage story old enough to have him ACTUALLY be for hire was old enough for the CCA to prevent swearing (and the story to actually address at times why Luke used minced oaths)

Bendis era potty mouth Cage was never really for hire, he was either retired or an Avenger.
>>
>>86835637
He did freelance personal security work.
>>
>>86834835
He does curse in the show, tho.
>>
>>86834921
There is a scene where she needs hand sanitizer for touching a non black person. She is turbo racist.
>>
File: 1471732303348.png (54KB, 149x200px) Image search: [Google]
1471732303348.png
54KB, 149x200px
>>86835247
>Why does he have the hoodie on?
>>
>>86834921
The motivations are fairly complex---it's one thing I really liked about the show. Plotwise it's pretty predictable but things aren't black and white, no pun intended.
So yes Cottonmouth and Dillard are anti-gentrification (more Stokes than Dillard I'd say) but that doesn't make them good people
>>
>>86835553
That's what I was getting at. She's sincere, but also completely corrupt with additional motives.
>>
>>86834835
>NOT MUH LUKE

I understand them not going the Hero for Hire route to make him more do-gooder, but did this feel like a in-name only version of Luke Cage? Even the modern incarnations weren't this corny or uppity.

Honestly, the biggest problem I think is the showrunner. He seems out of his league for this type of show and gives bullshit justifications for why he presented Luke the way he did

https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/status/783716565975916545

https://twitter.com/cheo_coker/status/783719348930170880
>>
>>86834835
I guess they could have written around it. But this Luke is built off of a post Alias Luke. And follows the up on the Luke from JJ. To me there was no real way they were going to get Luke done in any way that a long time fan would really appreciate him other than a Sweet Christmas here and there. I did at least think he would get a yellow shirt at some point.
>>
>>86835767
That's not how I read that scene. I thought she was getting hand sanitizer because she touched all those kids and thought they were all dirty. He was just the last kid she happened to interact with.
>>
>>86834835
>I don't curse
Before Bendis started riddling Luke's dialogue with awkward symbols

>$@#*!

Luke actually did have a 'no swearing' policy. His grandma raised him better than that.
>>
>>86834881
Black Mariah being anti gentrification was to make cover her villainous side. It made her sympathetic, so people who don't know her character would be further caught off guard. Luke is not pro-gentrification.
>>
The only good Luke Cage stuff is when he was a blaxploitation character.

He's boring as fuck in the main comic but in that flashback issue of Deadpool and in the Genndy miniseries going on right he's so fucking cool.
>>
Black Mariah was blatantly racist. She sneered a couple times when talking about 'foreign influences' and they panned over the Chinese restaurant just to emphasize it. Whenever she had to interact with the non-black kids her expression would become more strained and her interactions less sincere.

Her campaign slogan was pretty much 'Keep Harlem Black'.

It was somewhat subtle and the actress did a great job with it.
>>
>>86838295
>And follows the up on the Luke from JJ. To me there was no real way they were going to get Luke done in any way that a long time fan would really appreciate him other than a Sweet Christmas here and there

They easily could've stuck to the source material but updated it for modern times. The comics origin of his and Willis Stryker's backstory growing up on the streets and time at Seagate Prison, and even the Cottonmouth storyline where Cage goes undercover in Cottonmouth's gang were all way better than what we got and far better crafted.

This show felt like Cage in-name only.
>>
I think Black Mariah stopped being racist by the end of the season.
>>
>>86835553
Maintaining the cultural heritage of a neighborhood of low income minorities is not racist. SHE was racist, yes, but her idea is not about disadvantaging whites. I agree with the rest though
>>
>>86838546
>but her idea is not about disadvantaging whites
Most of her racism was targeted at the Asian section of the community.
>>
>>86838295
>To me there was no real way they were going to get Luke done in any way that a long time fan would really appreciate him other than a Sweet Christmas here and there.

Really read the first couple issues of Luke's original series. It's grungy and gritty and would perfectly fit in the world of Netflix with very little updating needed.
>>
>>86838302
Go back and watch it, watch her face.
>>
>>86838636
I only really remember her hand sanitizing after touching the white kids.
>>
>>86834881
>>86834921
>>86835214
>>86835414
>>86835553
>>86835802
>>86838368

A bunch of crime lords want to keep their neighbourhood poor and crime-ridden, shocker. You know, just because you give economic development a sinister-sounding name, it doesn't magically make it evil.
>>
>Luke has unbreakable skin
>shoot him with cancer gun
>they can't remove the tumor
>>
>>86839143
The only reason gentrification sounds sinister is because residents see it as such. The corrupt politicians see that this is an issue that concerns the inhabitants of the neighborhood and use it to their advantage. Their idea isn't bad, how they are doing (and who they are) is.
>>
>>86835414
>She was also presented as fairly racist, if low-key about it.

Yeah, when I was watching the show and she said "Keep Harlem black!" I kept wondering what all the Latino characters that we saw though about that, because they're not black but Harlem is still their home.
>>
>>86839143
Well one of the issues is that when you develop an area the value goes up, so the people living there might not be able to afford it, forcing them into even shittier, more crime-ridden areas or literal shanty towns.
>>
>>86839143
Cottonmouth would actually benefit from gentrification, as he is already running a presumably high-end club as a front business, and gun running is done at secondary locations. The thing about Black Mariah is that she's a poverty pimp; even outside the the criminal activities she doesn't care about Harlem outside of a feeling of ownership. She doesn't care about improving the community, all her plans involve low-cost housing rather than employment or education, she just wants a loyal constituency to keep her in power. And no whites, Hispanics, or Asians either. Luke Cage has some surprisingly conservative political slants to it.

Also gentrification and economic development are two distinct, if related, concepts.
>>
>>86839334
The human body instantly kills foreign cancer. People who work in cancer research inject themselves with cancer accidentally all the time. Though in theory that exactly what Stryker did with the Judas bullets
>>
>>86839356
>>86839711
Gentrification is good if you own property, as the value increases and you can make some pretty decent money if you're willing to sell. Gentrification is bad if you don't own property, like pretty much everyone in an urban area, because it means your rent is about to skyrocket along with the rest of your cost of living.
>>
>>86839334
If anyone had radiation-based weapons he'd get rekt.
>>
>>86839885
I don't know about the show, but in the comics due to his increased density radiation would be less effective against him.
>>
>>86838693
I thought it was the fact that she's just a fucking turbo bitch, as in, "these kids are less fortunate and part of the slums so they're inherently dirty and they are not worthy to touch me."
>>
garbage show. the acting was awful...the race baiting garbage. fucking awful
>>
>>86840090
Yeah, she's weirdly classist too.
>>
>>86835767
As someone else said I think that's more classism than anything, especially since she was ready to jump Shade's bones by the end of the show.
>>
>>86840120
>show based on a character heavily inspired by blacksploitation films shares numerous themes with blacksploitation films

Oh nooooo! Sorry you can't handle more than a few token black characters without getting triggered you pussy.

There was plenty of great acting too, particularly Cottonmouth, Mariah, and Shades.
>>
>>86839334
>Does the nigga have gills?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.