[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is telekenisis never displayed as the most op ability ever?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 14

File: 5367264-0041244426-53360.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
5367264-0041244426-53360.gif
3MB, 480x270px
Why is telekenisis never displayed as the most op ability ever? Anyone that has it should win any fight instantly. Are there any reasons for why they can't end a fight right away?
>>
Tax purposes.
>>
>>86833582
Some people can move faster than the speed of thought.
>>
>>86833582
It usually is shown as an op ability.
Like constantly.
Do you not consume fiction?
>>
>>86833582

You ever try to think with someone yelling in your ear?

Like that, but harder.
>>
>>86833582
>Are there any reasons for why they can't end a fight right away?

Because not everyone can do it easily. Look at Jean Grey in the 90s X-men cartoon for example. She struggled to use it all the fucking time.
>>
Its applications are insane too. Controlling fire, lightning, water, earth, creating barriers, invisible weapons, detecting nearby objects and people, healing wounds by manipulating flesh and bones, flight, and the list goes on and on. It's actually OP.
>>
>>86833582
what I dont get is this excess of telekinesis display

all you have to do is damage small parts in the heart, brain stem or similarly important body parts
>>
>>86833611
Speedforce is a gay trope for shitty writers prescisly for retaded fucking shit like this.
>>
>>86833664
Yeah, and if you ever lose control of your psychic powers you're either going to
A. Go insane
B. Have a massive brain hemorrhage
C. Turn into a giant flesh baby
>>
Why can't they just grap hold of their opponent and instantly end the battle?
>>
>>86833582
See, the problem is what actually can telekinesis do?
I mean right off the bat you have chuckle ducks like >>86833744 and >>86833725 who assume telekinesis has inherent fine tuning and automatic functions.

Any power is op if you don't ever describe what it can do.

>Superstrength
Can squeeze hand so hard that it ignites atmosphere and causes explosions
>Pyrokenisis
Can catch everything on fire instantly
>Flight
Can fly so fast the sonic booms could destroy a city.
>>
>>86833744
> small parts of the heart
> brain stem

Wouldn't that require either xray vision and/or medical knowledge? Most people can't point out that kind of stuff in a still body, let alone in the middle of a fight.
>>
Like >>86833631 said it is shown to be powerful a lot. The movie Chronicle showed how someone can go from lifting a piece of paper to flying and carrying huge objects. There are also a few characters (cant think of examples off the back) that got powerful after getting that, using it to fly isnt done as much as it should be an even then moving a few items with their mind can be a good ability to have. Many anime characters who dont use the standard energy based attacks have telekenesis which in turn makes them OP.
>>
>>86833866
Well TK could be used to feel around, or when in doubt just start making slicing motions in the brain.
>>
File: 1468109861425.gif (71KB, 245x269px)
1468109861425.gif
71KB, 245x269px
Let me save this thread a few posts by posting the obviously OP powers (that are never done right, because they're OP)

>magnetic force
could turn any existing matter, including living matter, into worthless goo thanks to polarity
>ice powers
can manipulate water molecules which apparently exist everywhere in the universe
>telekinesis
could completely manipulate minds, how can you fight something you cannot perceive
>speed force
basically the magnetics part but localized entirely into yourself
>time powers
lol
>energy powers (fire, lightning, etc.)
obvious potential to go supernova and emit universe-breaking levels of energy
>>
File: p8786283_d_v8_ab.jpg (342KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p8786283_d_v8_ab.jpg
342KB, 960x1440px
>>86833582
Because like others already mentioned, the power usually comes with some serious daunting drawbacks. Usually one of the two

>it's hard to control, especially over distance, with excessive mass, or multiple objects, or actions that do different things at the same time

or

>it causes physical or mental damage to the user when used in excess

The best writing combines those two setbacks.

Give pic related a watch, it showcases the extreme power of telekenisis but at the same time showcases the glaring drawbacks. The main character dies by getting speared. Something he could have obviously defended against, but he was too focused on something else. A "lesser" ability like super-strength wouldn't have that issue.
>>
File: Mad Hatter.jpg (140KB, 1159x822px) Image search: [Google]
Mad Hatter.jpg
140KB, 1159x822px
>>86833582
Go watch the new episode of Gotham, it has what asking.
>>
>>86833582
Because the most op ability is speed, every time. >>86833865 has a good point, but the issue is that at a certain level of fast, all questions be simplified down into "can x character speedbliz?".

Speed capes centralize the meta around themselves. Everyone at a certain tier of power will need a counter against speedblitz, be it something as simple as insane durability or as convoluted as Batman's various contingency plans on Flash.

The only power that fucks up the meta more than speed is mindrape, and that's only on the higher tiers (like Thanos and up). The upper tiers of mindhax are basically unbeatable by anything short of abstract reality warping.
>>
It generally comes off as OP because writers are bad at giving it comprehensive limits.

Everybody understands the concept of 'shit too heavy to lift' or 'shit too fast to catch up to'. Being able to control matter by thinking? Shit, everybody can think
>>
>>86833959

Dude, at that point it's just easier to rip the entire thing off.
>>
>>86833962
>telekinesis
> manipulate minds

that's not what telekinesis is, anon.
>>
>>86834031
he meant to say telepathy give him a break

even though that's *still* not what it is
>>
>>86833865
I may have a very different interpretation of TK. but to me it's biggest strength is being able to improve it. In most the most famous depictions of it (Akira, The Matrix, The X-Men, Chronicle ) users of it have to develop it like a muscle and gain new levels of power with mastery. So, if the power at its base level is vaguely defined (it lets you move things with your brain) then a master of the ability should be able to have a large scope of control over the natural world.
>>
>>86833865
>>86833962
I understand that powers need defined limits but unlike other powers like strength ir speed, no matter what limit you put on TK's raw power even the most gental push could be use to kill someone if it was in their brain or heart. For it to be usable without being op it would have to be limited in how you can use it.
>>
>>86834081

Well that's because fiction is written by nerds, so mind over matter abilities always mysteriously don't have level caps.

>>86833998

The ability to regenerate back to peak will always be the most op.

You can just literally out wait the universe to win.
>>
>>86834190
That's totally true, I won't debate the arbitrary of sci-fi writing.
>>
File: cars.jpg (121KB, 750x663px) Image search: [Google]
cars.jpg
121KB, 750x663px
>>86834190
>You can just literally out wait the universe to win.
Wouldn't call that winning
>>
Telekinesis is broken in both Mob Psycho 100 and One Punch Man
>>
>>86833582
1. some people can move faster than light

2. there are cheap tactics like invisibility

3. telekinesis, like all abilities, have a limit. When you say"why telekinesis don't always win". You actually mean "why absolute telekinesis don't always win", at which point any absolute power would win; absolute strength/resistance could simply not be moved by telekinesis.
>>
Can you use telekinesis on a ghost?
No.
So Ghost powers are OP.
>>
>>86833776
Not only speed force users have this trait tho.
>>
>>86834117
You would need x-ray vision as well for that. Since in most cases for telekinesis to work you need to see the object.
>>
>>86833776
Thats basically any Superspeed metahuman though
>>
>>86833582
Because powers have limits you fucking retard. It's like why anyone who can manipulate air does not just auto kill everything.
>>
>>86833582
Because then the stories will be over quickly and it won't be interesting.
>>
>>86834273
Really, it's not even that good versus mindrape powers, because unless you repair emotional trauma, it can leave you a dysfunctional husk of your former self well before the heat-death of the universe becomes a concern for you.
>>
File: Sylar_(2).jpg (65KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Sylar_(2).jpg
65KB, 600x900px
>>86833582
>>
>>86836284
I miss Sylar
>>
>Squeeze blood vessel in opponent's brain
>Win instantly

You could have a character with the TK strength to lift tiny object and they'd still be ultra powerful. Its always "hey guys watch me lift this mountain I'm the strongest there is"
>>
>>86833582
euwhah? miss martian doesn't have telekinesis
>>
If you think Telekinesis is Op, check out Perspective manipulation.

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Perspective_Manipulation
>>
File: Manchester_Black_001.jpg (73KB, 418x681px) Image search: [Google]
Manchester_Black_001.jpg
73KB, 418x681px
>>86833582
Remember that time a telekinetic almost killed Superman?
>>
>>86833582
Winning a fight isnt even the start

Telekinesis taken to its extremes is literally god tier

>can create fusion and blackholes by manipulating matter at a subatomic level

Molecule Man is a good example
>>
>>86834296
>One Punch Man
Saitama is still more broken then telekinesis since he can resist it and not be moved.

>Mob Psycho 100
That's one of the only three powers anyone has (two guys have pyrokinesis and some leave there body as a spirit) so it's not really OP in the setting
>>
>>86835488
Then just slice their neck. Or if you aren't allowed to cut push on it to crush their windpipe.
>>
>>86834190
You want to out wait the universe while constantly burning to death but not dying since we threw you into orbit around the sun?
Okay!
>>
File: Ms. Martian37.png (171KB, 800x606px) Image search: [Google]
Ms. Martian37.png
171KB, 800x606px
>>86833582
But M'gan was clearly the strongest member of YJ. It is just that mind-raping get the root of some problems even faster than telekinesis.
>>
>>86838473
Didn't Superman reveal in the end that he was just fucking with them the entire time?
>>
File: Superman83.jpg (919KB, 1280x1997px)
Superman83.jpg
919KB, 1280x1997px
>>86842486
He was certainly just fucking with them in the second fight.
>>
>>86842486
not that first fight

supes got a legit seizure too
>>
>>86837894
She does in the show Young Justice.
>>
Because any writer worth his spit is smart enough to give fantastic powers like telekinesis some kind of limitation or drawback so it doesn't become OP
>>
>>86835560
See this idiot
>>86834117
>>
>>86835507
>any superspeed
not everyone with superspeed can move that fast
>>
TETSUOOOOO!
>>
>>86833582
>>86833998
>>86834190
Reality warping and variants (magic, toonforce) shit on every other power.
>>
>>86838473
No, because superman ended up just playingbwith Manchester black
>>
>>86833776
The speed of thought really isn't THAT fast desu. I'm pretty sure there are IRL animals that can move faster than the average person can think
>>
There needs to be more material featuring telekinetic handjobs.
>>
File: latest[1].png (697KB, 680x840px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
697KB, 680x840px
>>86833582
>Why is telekinesis never displayed as the most op ability ever?
>>
>>86848759
Do you think M'gann gave Conner any?
>>
>>86833820

Yeah or moral/ethical issues like with Miss Martian. Mind-rape is not good when you're supposed to be a hero.
>>
>>86848848
I sure hope so.
>>
>>86848818
ONE said Tatsumaki was stronger than 100% Mob so he's not even the most OP esper.
>>
>>86848818
TK isn't what's OP in MP100, Mob is. Everyone he fights has TK so it's not the ability itself that's OP, but the level of power Mob has. Any power is OP if you crank it up to ridiculous levels. If you turn durability up to Mob levels you can just tank every hit and eventually clobber the esper, if you turn speed up to mob levels you can speedblitz them before they can even react, strength you can throw something hard enough to take their head off etc...

A sufficiently OP flying brick would destroy Mob
>>
>>86849152
>everyone he fights has TK
Not really. Everyone has some form of barrier, but only a few have had actual TK powers. Usually the strongest of the Espers.

Only one of the Claw members had TK in any capacity, the rest had augmentations (the whip, spiral fists, ki manipulation, illusions, curses)

One of the characters who loses even bemoans how OP telekinesis is as he gets crushed between two trees.
>>
>>86849212
Most of those guys have a weirdly specific application of TK and I read it as them being bad and only having a single technique to use (see Teru learning the whip and using more than one at a time). I did forget about illusion and curse guy though
>>
>>86848848
Do you think Lagoon Boy's dick can balloon up like his body? Do you think she shapeshifted her vag to fit it in?

Those are critical questions.
>>
>>86833582
>Why is telekenisis never displayed as the most op ability ever?
>>
>>86833865
>>
>>86833968
I don't think that's fair because that kid was A) already dealing with a lot of social and domestic issues even before he got the powers and B) It was his cousin that speared him after the fighting weakened him significantly.
>>
>>86833866
Do you think medical knowledge is something magical and hard to obtain?

We are talking a class at the local community college here. I mean, to figure out were someones heart and brain stem are you could just fucking google image search this shit. They are not in radically different places in every individual you mong.

Psychicing someone in the brain stem in the middle of a fight is no more difficult than shooting them in the head or chest with a gun in the middle of a fight. Sure, maybe not a fucking babby's first cakewalk but definitely not the artificial difficulty you are implying.

Most people can point out the areas of the body that the heart or brain stem would be located in in the middle of a fight, in fact there are entire fucking schools of fighting based around hitting specific areas in a fight.

I am normally not this hostile, but seriously consider killing yourself.

Please for the love of God and all that is good in the world, consider killing yourself. And unlike everything else in your life which you fail to complete and leave as a ruined mess, please actually go through with your plans on this one. Please please kill yourself.
>>
>>86848938
That's because the OPM world power levels are ridiculously high to begin with. It would be like comparing Superman Prime with Super Mario.
>>
>>86833582
Because it's a really really boring power.
>>
>>86849782
What if Super Mario jumps on Superman Prime's head?
>>
>>86842165
Martians should basically be the strongest member of any team they appear on.

They are basically Supreman plus Xavier plus Plastic Man
>>
>>86843825
that's not how I remember it
>>
File: Ms. Martian45.gif (3MB, 384x216px)
Ms. Martian45.gif
3MB, 384x216px
>>86849950
If their fire weakness wasn't so dumb, that would be the case.

I'll never understand why YJ Dick set Aqualad up to get murdered by M'gann. There was no reason to ruse the Team, too.
>>
File: Ms. Martian55.png (1MB, 2700x3600px) Image search: [Google]
Ms. Martian55.png
1MB, 2700x3600px
>>86851463
She did.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.