[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I decided to watch SU over the summer and I just finished Onion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 10

File: latest-3.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
latest-3.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
I decided to watch SU over the summer and I just finished Onion Gang so I'm all caught up. I noticed something a little weird about Connie in this episode.

Steven is feeling bored so he calls her. She immediately asks him if he needs her for a Gem mission, and when he tells her he just wants to hang out she says she has to do "back to school shopping." Considering she was at school in an earlier episode and she immediately asked him if it was a Gem situation, what gives? Was she lying? Is Connie getting bored of Steven or something?
>>
>>86830070
She considers alien missions to protect the Earth more important than school.

She considers hanging out with her fat child friend NOT more important than school.

How did you not get this?
>>
>>86830070
She is extremely busy and has been instilled with a sense of duty by her mother.
So she will jump at the next highest priority of duty.
Saving earth>school supplies>hanging out.
>>
It's quite obvious she is only using Steven as a source of entertainment.

She's a worse "knight" than pearl
>>
>>86830123
>her fat child friend
just for the record, he's older than her
>>
>>86830123
>How did you not get this?

some people r dum
>>
File: IMG_0263.png (761KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0263.png
761KB, 1920x1080px
>>86830162
>his "knight"
>would rather go school shopping than hangout

She's bad at her job
>>
>>86830070
Gem missions are more important than school, but school is still important.

It's pretty simple.
>>
>>86830210
Being your knight does not mean being your friend.
>>
File: tumblr_nu0vo7QnHp1ufq0ayo1_500.jpg (68KB, 422x750px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nu0vo7QnHp1ufq0ayo1_500.jpg
68KB, 422x750px
>>86830279
>>86830123

"Back to school shopping"

She was literally already back to school though.
>>
>>86830359
She might have needed additional stuff from the reading list.
>>
You guys make me sad.
It's subtle character development. She knows that there's the possibility of a gem issue, but she doesn't have to ask every single time - Steven would actually tell her first thing if that were the case. She's gotten used to things like Steven calling to say hi or hang out again - her initial excitement has cooled off now that she's been on a few missions, but she's still ready when it needs to happen. In a similar vein, Steven himself has matured in that he knows Connie has other responsibilities that are incredibly important. After all, she's going to be president while he's First Man/Sir/Lord or whatever the title is.
>>
>>86830395
Gemessiah. The title is Gemessiah.
>>
>>86830070
I hope Steven makes a little dude friend. They can make him gay to appeal the savages of Tumblr but Steve just needs another friend.

Have him be a gamer or something
>>
File: download.png (6KB, 254x198px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
6KB, 254x198px
At first she likes Steven because he was the first person who actually tried to befriend her. Then she liked Steven because his magical destiny was like something out of her shitty tween novels.

Learning to fight put her in the same place as her book characters and that was fun for a while. After things got weird at the barn (she showed up for his birthday but had NO part in the Cluster/Malachite arc) she jumped at the chance to do some Gem monster hunting.

After she fails to actually defeat a corrupted Gem she is eager to train as a fusion since it's the only way she'll be able to hold her own against something other than a Fusion monster (they're slower and less coordinated). But even during Stevonnie training she's obviously less enthused to see Steven (even after solving her fusion problem) and more excited to fight again.

Tl:Dr she liked Steven for a bit, but likes being the protagonist more
>>
>>86830359
>Connie using Steven to have fun
>eventually gets board of gem stuff
>stop hanging out with him
>Steven is forced to make more real friends like Sadie
>>
>>86830489
Except she vowed to stand by Steven even if he was a baby.
>>
>>86830458
They just need to make better use of Peedee.
>>
File: 1463961276107.png (92KB, 395x422px) Image search: [Google]
1463961276107.png
92KB, 395x422px
>>86830490
It'll have to be someone new to Beach City

Everyone who knows him would react the same way
>"what a nice kid"
>"wow he lives in a temple"
>"wow magical guardians"
>"wow he's kind of magical too"
>"OK thrill is gone"

At least someone who wasn't used to the Gems would be able to actually get to know Steven like Onion tried, though I suspect he just liked to freak Steven out rather than befriend him.

On a similar note, when he had no one to call, why didn't he try to hang out with the cool kids, or go check on Lapis and Peridot? Both of them are always happy to see him.
>>
>>86830575
Likely because either
A. She can be the protector and feel good about herself
B. She figured if this is anything like the bubble, the cat fingers, or Amethyst having her gem cracked, it's not permanent so she doesn't have to be in it for the long haul.
C. She'll get to go on a magical journey to figure out how to fix him.
>>
>>86830359
What "earlier episode" are you talking about? Time in-show has already gone over at least a year.
>>
>>86830790
>On a similar note, when he had no one to call, why didn't he try to hang out with the cool kids, or go check on Lapis and Peridot?
They're all older than him and Steven wanted to hang out with kids his age.

He used to hang out with Onion despite being older because he thought Onion was lonely but it turned out Onion had friends his own age, and Steven realized that outside of Connie he doesn't really have any himself.
>>
>>86830887
Literally 3 episodes before we know for a fact she's already back in school
>>
>>86830947
What, Mindful Education?

That could have easily been her first week at school, some people do back-to-school shopping in the first month when they find out what kind of supplies they need.
>>
>>86830070
>maximum autism
>>
>>86830976
>Over protective parents who want there daughter to excel
>Doesn't go school shopping during the summer so she's completely prepared and instead wait tell the last minute

Anon, just admit that Connie didn't want to hang out. Her parents would not allow her to be unprepared for school, they would get her everything she needs before hand
>>
>>86831050
Have you ever been to school? Sometimes you don't find out what exactly you need until you get in.

Connie's parents are protective not omniscient.
>>
>>86830845
Dude, she overprepared the fuck out of her first mission to impress Steven and Pearl, geting fussy as fuck over Steven in the process. The second snow fell she ran for shelter and made pine needle tea.
Yes, she isn't perpetually flashed by Steven's exploits. But I don't think she is tired of Steven but rather diligent about her school duties.
You will note that her exploits during Summer of Steven are all during summer break.
She is preparing for school in Buddy's Book, then has that run-in with the kid she injures.
That's after months of intense training with Steven and Pearl, her first mission and potentially more involvement up until the events of Know Your Fusion. SHe has been kept out of the political and space-bound side so far, but after they made Connie into a dangerous fighting machine, Steven will have to explain all the stuff she saw when he started hallucinating in Mindful Education.
>>
>>86830070
>decided to watch SU
What compelled you to waste your fucking time?
next time drink bleach instead, provides a similar experience in a fraction of the time.
>>
>>86830070
Yes, in fact Onion Gang WAS one of the worst episodes of the series. Not only was it pointless, it actually introduces numerous plot holes and breaks character development.
>>
>>86830070
you still have the shorts to watch
>>
>>86831102
She's 12. She's in like the 6-7 grade.

What do you possibly need at that age besides a pen, pencil, notebooks, folders, and eraser?
>>
>>86830182

Steven has never had formal schooling or friends his age, so he's mentally around 10-11, maybe younger. Considering his aging is based on how old he feels he is, too, he's also physically younger than he should be.
>>
>>86832283
backpack, new clothes, other random home stuff like new bed sheets / lamps / whatever, that all tend to go on sale in the back to school period.
>>
>>86832283
Apparently books about the restauration/reconstruction of ancient pottery.
>>
File: P E A K O I L.png (304KB, 634x376px) Image search: [Google]
P E A K O I L.png
304KB, 634x376px
>>86830070
Connie is a world-conscious kid
>>
>>86830070
she is into pussy, not into dick
>>
>>86830070
You forgot she made an agreement with her mom about the gem stuff being okay as long as it doesn't interfere with studies .
>>
>>86830279
/trhead.
>>
>>86832283
In early high school I got assigned reading lists and had to get specific calculators and shit. It wasn't exactly kindergarten.
>>
>>86830923
He's 14. The Beach City teens are more his age than Onion, unless we're talking mental age.
>>
>>86833020
I loved that moment. I wonder which boarder came up with that scene.
>>
>>86833364
Maybe you should try rereading the post again.
>>
>>86833187
Shape-shifting means preference is no excuse.
>>
In unrelated news but mostly cause I never post on /sug/, does anyone know why the animation quality has gotten worse this season? Is it cause they're saving it for the interesting parts or cause they've realized they can get away with more because the show's popular?
>>
>>86830162
That's because pearl is perfect, it's impossible for Connie to match her
>>
I want Steven to be cucked by Pearl.
>>
>>86833810
>short
>lanky
>brown
>normal-sized, dark hair
No danger from Pearl's side.
>>
>>86833893
Doesn't matter. All it requires is Connie pursuing Pearl and rejecting all of Steven's advances.
>>
>>86830157
still is a dough boy
>>
>>86830490
you shouldn't have older real friends like Sadie when you're 14, it always ends with them crying and jerking you off when you're about 17
>>
>>86831050
Have you thought that maybe they aired out of production order? That shit happens all the time.
>>
>>86833640
>worse
the only episodes which looked bad were set in the desert

and that's just because I don't think the boarders really knew how to deal with the color palette
>>
I dunno if she was lying about being busy, but I do think she was obviously much more excited about gem stuff than hanging out with Steven (and I think this was shown on purpose).
I think their friendship is cooling off a bit; I mean, half the episode was about how lonely Steven is.

As far as people saying that it's about priorities, and that she would only have come if it was an emergency, I have to disagree.
She isn't needed in emergencies. As useful as their fusion was, I don't think the gems would call her for anything really important yet
Basically, I'm trying to say that her interest in the gem mission wasn't out of duty. She isn't vital to team yet; they send her on missions for training, not because they need her help.

>>86830439
Gemsiah sounds waaaaay better than Gemessiah. It's not even close.
>>
>>86833640
Man, I dunno if I just have lower expectations than some people or I'm just not paying attention but I haven't seen that at all. I haven't noticed things one way or the other on the animation front.
>>
>>86834586
who waits three years for that?
>>
>>86834586
Sadie is pure
>>
>>86830070
It is likely the episodes were aired out of production order.
>>
She probably is tired of fusing into a tranny
>>
File: images (1).jpg (9KB, 247x204px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
9KB, 247x204px
Gayest show since shezow
>>
File: kiki kiss steven.jpg (413KB, 2550x2516px)
kiki kiss steven.jpg
413KB, 2550x2516px
>>86830070
Superior ship.
>>
>>86830070
Basically this
>>86830123
Add to this that her mom is an overachiever andthat being allowed Sword Lessons was already a big deal, she is not taking any risk to mke more dent in her rep value.

If she fail at school, she is not allowed to hang with Steven anymore.

>>86830359
It's hard to track down the timeline line in SU. If we start from the idea that the first episode started shortly after his 13 birthday, you'd have to see if the seasons and School vacations fit in a single year.
>>
>>86830070
>Considering she was at school in an earlier episode
School Shopping can still happens during School time, especially if you have a project presentation or some of your old stuff borke.
>>
>>86836156
>She isn't needed in emergencies. As useful as their fusion was, I don't think the gems would call her for anything really important yet
You seem to forget that this episode take place after they fused to fight Jasper. They have proved being an asset already.
>>
File: !.png (582KB, 666x480px)
!.png
582KB, 666x480px
>>86830070
The better question is why doesnt Greg send him to school?

Seeing as how he knew almost nothing about gems, until recently, it looks like he was just playing video games for 14 years.

What's this show trying to teach huh? School is not important because you can leech off your parents?
>>
>>86843953
Steven is not a legal person, so he can't go to school.
>>
File: 0.jpg (1MB, 3686x2867px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
1MB, 3686x2867px
>>86843953
homeschooled, if done right, is just as valid. Also, I don't know if you noticed, but there is no School in Beach City. Kids probably commute to an other city to get their education.

Greg and the gem probably assumed it was safer to keep Steven close to the temple, knowing nothing about Human/gem hybrid and not knowing what could happens while he was not under their watch.
>>
>>86843961
>Steven is not a legal person
That's just speculation so far. We don't officially know yet whether Steven was declared or not.
>>
>>86843973
>homeschooled, if done right, is just as valid
History
English
Math
Science
These are the core curriculum. Science and Math Pearl can teach but I dont see Steven knowing jack shit about History and Literature.
>>
>>86844034
You don't know how homschooling work, right?

You still have to register your kid to correspondence-school who will send you cursus through mail (now it's more common to do it online, but mail was the way to go before the internet). There is actual tests you must pass and send to someone who will evaluate you. This is how you get legit diploma.

>Science and Math Pearl can teach
Greg was doing it. You'd say he might suck at it, but being from a community college, as he mentioned, at least teach you to be a good pedagogue. Greg also mentionned about buying more online course, so it indicate he has actually raised Steven the legit way, when it come to homeschooling.

On a side note, community college actually work, but on one condition, that you take it seriously. A lot of people go there thinking it's an easy loophole to slack off during most of the year, so of course those lazy asses fail at the end of it.
>>
>>86830359
*glares*

ummm could you literally just, like DROP IT already? it's been explained you you already now FUCK OFF?!??!!?!
>>
>>86843981
When asked if Pearl had a driver's license, they've said Steven and the gems are all "totally off the grid".

>>86844034
Why do you think the gems wouldn't be able to cover those? They've probably personally witnessed half the stuff Connie learns in history class, and Steven clearly knows how to read and write so its not like they just tossed him in front of a gamecube and let him go full "reading is 4 gaylords #yolo".
>>
>>86844168
Because Steven isn't old enough to have one yet.
>>
>>86831050
Just admit Onion Gang was likely shown out of order.
>>
>>86844034
I thought gems were created with all the knowledge they needed and that Steven would get it too. Over time.
>>
>>86836232
What happens is they start crying after a breakup or a fight with their mom or whatever and they stay over and you wake up with their hand down your pants.
>>
>>86844501
How oddly specific.
>>
>>86844285
The whole point of Steven is that he won't get that inherent knowledge, because it would include the predetermined gem role that Rose was trying to break free of. That's why the gems bother to teach him about his gem powers instead of telling him to wait for his gem to pour everything straight into his brain.

Even if he did get the infodump, I don't think it would be a substitute for human schooling. He's a Rose Quartz. The knowledge would cover combat tactics and maybe a little math. It'd probably neglect every other field of science, and definitely wouldn't cover human history or language.
>>
>>86830123
>Implying she would make any difference on this missions
The Gems train and allow her to come with them so that Steven just bitches a little less
>>
>>86844875
Connie and Steven were able to beat Jasper as Stevonnie.
>>
>>86844927
Opal, could beat Jasper even more handily though, a Steven can fuse with gems now anyways.
>>
>>86844944
Opal+Garnet+Stevonnie>Opal+Garnet+Steven

It's basic logic, man.
>>
>>86834586
Well, they're already crying, so we're already halfway there!
>>
>>86840672
This. It happens all the time with this show, but it's usually hard to tell since continuity is pretty loose.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.