[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what made the MCU from going "there's no magic"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: Textless_Doctor_Strange.jpg (3MB, 2048x2732px) Image search: [Google]
Textless_Doctor_Strange.jpg
3MB, 2048x2732px
So what made the MCU from going "there's no magic" to "lol never-ending, there is."

I suspected there were going there since Daredevil s1, but since the shows don't really matter in the big picture I'm surprised the movies took the plunge.
>>
>>86825949
oops, meant to say nevermind, not never-ending
>>
>>86825949
Even as far back as the first Thor, they seem to pretty consistently take the angle that sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Even the runes on Strange's shield there have a definite digital vibe, and the magic in Daredevil involved complex machines.
>>
>>86827168
True, I just hope they actually say he's using magic.
>>
>>86825949
They never went "there's no magic." You were just a retard that fell for /tv/'s shitposting.
>>
>>86827272
but they did, did you never see interviews for Thor?
>>
File: 1426927959212.jpg (365KB, 1600x1043px) Image search: [Google]
1426927959212.jpg
365KB, 1600x1043px
>>86825949
Loyalty to the source material's tone. Classic Thor was very sci-fi, Kirby was a Chariot of the Gods fan. And a long chain of writers/artists after him followed suit, Asgard even got nonchalantly invaded by space pirates one time.
Strange has always been mystical to the core. The visuals and tone and themes were established by a different creator with a different worldview. It's an entirely separate experience, right down to the storytelling, e.g. Strange often having to scholar his way around problems whereas Thor could fighting spirit straight through them.
Essentially magic wasn't a necessary story element before. Now it is.
>>
>>86827748
Then what does scarlet witch use
>>
>>86828884
Telekinesis? She's literally just jean grey in these movies.
>>86827272
They literally said in the directors commentary for Thor 2 that there was never anything magical about any of them and it's all rooted in tech.
>>
>>86827748
you must have a link then since you know which one exactly. I mean Thanos himself is a tech magic kinda guy
>>
>>86828923
so thats Thors universe? How many Strange/Thor crossovers have we gotten in comics where Thor needed Stranges magic?
>>
>>86828983
>so thats Thors universe?
No, that's the MCU universe.
>>
>>86825949
They never said that.

You just fell for dc shitposting from people who think that science and technology are one and the same.
>>
>>86828999
Don't be pedantic you know what he means.
>>
>>86827748
Asgard is tech that's so advanced and old it's treated like magic.

Strange is actual magic, no tech involved.
>>
>>86829098
No, I don't, considering he immediately brought in comics when we aren't talking about that. The MCU is not the same as the comics, it's fine if they aren't gods or magical.
>>
magic is just technology you don't understand
>>
>>86827254
In the latest interviews they did. Even straight up cut out a scene that would "explain" the magic in science terms just to keep it as "magic = magic"
>>
>>86829060
Nice company wars you got there, fag.
>>
>>86829156
Technology is just magic you think you understand.
>>
>>86829060
>dc shitposting
Like fucking clockwork.
>>
>>86829143
which is the point. You're still drawing the comparison. Thor in any medium has never really used magic. the things he fights are magic but it ends there. he floats more on god power
>>
>>86829186
>>86829212
Well, I'm not lying.
>>
>>86829286
God power is magic
>>
>>86829329
No, just shitposting.
>>
>>86828942
>>86828923
>>
>>86829354
Why are you so triggered?
>>
>>86829496
>brings up typical console wars bullshit
>gets told to stop being a fucking idiot
>lololol why so le triggered?
Jackass.
>>
Feige got out from under Ike.

That is what happened.
>>
>>86827168
That was the problem with Thor and especially Thor 2, they kept saying it was "science indistinguishable from magic" but it just looked like science. Probably because they figured the audience would be too dumb to get it.

No one ever said magic didn't exist, just that the Asgardians weren't magic, which was indeed a major part of Kirby's mythos that carried over into Fourth World.
>>
>>86829143
Anon did not mean "universe" literally, as in the all-encompassing universe the characters all live in. He was referring metaphorically to self-contained narrative. There are different expectations between a Thor story and a Strange story and a Cap story and so on. Cape comic settings are full of subdivisions, "universe" is as good a label for the layers as any.
In the comics, Thor and Strange tread very different paths. Gods =/= Magic, in the Marvel Mystic sense at least. In the movies, they focused on the Kirbykore scifi and avoided shoehorning in vague mythology references so the distinction was made all the clearer. By the sound of it you and him are on the same side.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.