[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did the political undertone of Luke Cage give it an edge ove

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 15

File: luke_cage_hoodie-650x366.jpg (22KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
luke_cage_hoodie-650x366.jpg
22KB, 650x366px
Did the political undertone of Luke Cage give it an edge over DD and Jessica jones?

http://thegrio.com/2016/10/05/luke-cage-hoodie-nod-to-trayvon-martin/
>>
>>86759414
White people, man.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/tv/people-are-complaining-netflixs-luke-cage-is-racist-twitter-has-been-correcting-them/news-story/7d80b8d47f84205cdb94c32a12d20bfd
>>
>>86759414
I didn't think the politics was even explored well. It was very surface-level.

Luke is supposed to be a street dude, yet he came off very Bill Cosbyish and preachy rather than someone like Common, who can say similar things but comes off as way less patronizing.
>>
>>86759414
It handled its inherently political nature better than Jessica Jones. It works on a couple of different levels that I think are valuable when presenting this kind of hero. I do think they could have leaned into it more but having Method Man specifically talk about the sociopolitcal implications of a bulletproof black man works.

Plus it's just straight up better than Daredevil and Jessica Jones.
>>
>>86759414
There was no political undertone you fucking /pol/-baiting faggot

It was a personal story, not a political one.
>>
>>86760226
>having Method Man specifically talk about the sociopolitcal implications of a bulletproof black man works

Felt more like telling rather than showing
>>
File: Cosby.jpg (86KB, 750x729px) Image search: [Google]
Cosby.jpg
86KB, 750x729px
>>86760162
>very Bill Cosbyish
That doesn't mean what it used to.
>>
>>86760292

Sweet pudding pops
>>
>>86760244
The personal is political, anon.
>>
File: 1454180091483.png (200KB, 936x590px) Image search: [Google]
1454180091483.png
200KB, 936x590px
>>86760275
Not him but I thought it was a good scene.N What I loved about the show is that we really see how Luke's presence is received by common folks, people spread rumors about him, etc. Some people fear him while some show him their support etc. They show all people in the neighborhood are affected.

DD and Jessica Jones didn't have that. You never get to "see" what the street think and they are supposed to be street level heroes. Particularly in Daredevil we get maybe a glimpse of an article in the news and Claire talking about how the vigilante saved some lives, but only the criminals talk about Matt. I get that he operates mostly at night etc but it would have been nice to have a scene or two showing his influence on the people.
>>
>>86760923
No it isn't. Not everything is political. Everything is sexual.
>>
>>86759414
I thought it would've been smarter if it showed how blacks are oppressive to blacks, just like in history it were black warlords who sold blacks to America.

I thought it was going this route when Cottonmouth said "You never see a nigger coming" and his downfall was Luke (nigger) he did not see coming, but nope, gotta sprinkle in evil WHITE MALE (ugh) here and there.
>>
>>86759414
>people still talking about martin as if he was innocent and not a gangbanger
>>86759564
>closeminded retards who can't self insert unless the character is literally them
>>86760162
I agree, it was supposed to touch on black politics, culture and crime and it kinda failed on all fronts
>>86760226
>Plus it's just straight up better than Daredevil and Jessica Jones
I'd say it's better than DD2 and on par with JJ but DD1 is still on top for me
>>86760244
>you fucking /pol/-baiting faggot
>>>/t/umblr
>>86761185
I completely agree, they couldn't help but blame whitey instead of having Luke be a black hero
>>
File: Meteor Man.jpg (72KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
Meteor Man.jpg
72KB, 480x720px
show felt like a re-imagining of Meteor Man
>>
>>86761185
How do you even form this opinion if you actually watched the show?
>>
>>86760275
>bell hooks
My nigga
>>
>>86759564
This article has been made several times and it's always the same handful of people. Can people stop treating a dozen tweets as news.
>>
>>86759414
Yes, but the lack of a threatening villain until episode 5 or 6 took that edge away.

There were some basic things missing from the plot to make it a good thriller or action show. No sense of urgency or a time limit, and no one could really threaten Luke until they got the Judas.

Then they replaced Cottonmouth who was fun to watch, and an interesting character with one that was at the very least slightly worse.

That all kind of brought the show down, but still overall it was pretty good.
>>
The politics seemed pretty nature to me. The only thing I found that felt forced was the talk about black books, poets, musicians, and historical figures. Sometimes dropping several names at a time like it's a book recommendation.

It really felt like the hand of the creator rather than something people would naturally discuss. That dumbass giant Biggie poster just for the sake of that one shot. Sheesh.
>>
File: 160114-donald-trump-2-ap-1160.jpg (228KB, 1160x629px) Image search: [Google]
160114-donald-trump-2-ap-1160.jpg
228KB, 1160x629px
>>86762751
Wow, he really is hispanic
>>
>>86760972
And everything sexual is political.
>>
>>86760162
>yet he came off very Bill Cosbyish and preachy

Damn did I watch the same series as you? How in the world was he preachy other than for the last episode where he gives that speech to Misty?
>>
Wasn't there a thread yesterday about how Luke Cage was full of "respectability politics"?

https://heatst.com/entertainment/luke-cage-criticized-for-its-conservative-and-respectability-politics/

Haven't watched it yet, but this much butthurt can't be wrong.
>>
>>86763070

How about you watch it first then form your own opinions?
>>
>>86761600
...Oh god, the final battle was even a street brawl surrounded by cheering black folk for the 'soul' of their neighborhood.

Mother of god.
>>
>>86763048
>>86763048

the first scene has that swear jar stuff
>>
>>86763144

That was literally comedic relief, how do you watch that and take preachiness away from it? People really do love to complain about the dumbest things.
>>
>>86763048
>How in the world was he preachy other than for the last episode where he gives that speech to Misty?

Because he preached to people all the damn time?

Did you miss the "Do you see a nigger in front of you" speech that inexplicably opened in separate episodes? Or that time he preached to a guy while holding him up by his neck, or pretty much every single time he talked? He stopped the fucking final fight to preach about not being held down by your father's problems.

And then there's the time he literally preached with all the bible quotes.

He had to get in at least one speech every episode.
>>
>>86763198

>Names one instance
>pretty much every single time he talked

You've gotta be kidding me. This is why I asked if I watched the same series as you cause the one I watched Luke just wanted to be left alone and only really started crime fighting after Pops died. He never even talked all that much.

>Oh no he gave a eulogy at a funeral of his friend, how preachy!
>>
>>86763070
I didn't really see it, personally. He was a bit conservative with his inspirational speeches, but it was definitely pro-black.
>>
>>86763318
>>Names one instance

Uh huh...

>Do you see a nigger in front of you" speech that inexplicably opened in separate episodes(Which is already more than one because, again, it opened on more than one episode even though it made no sense to do so)
>Or that time he preached to a guy while holding him up by his neck,
> He stopped the fucking final fight to preach about not being held down by your father's problems.

Not to put too fine a point on it but maybe sesame street would be a nice show to watch next.

>>Oh no he gave a eulogy at a funeral of his friend, how preachy!

It bothers me that you used an example I didn't, which does fit what you asked for, and would have added another to the 'one' you criticized, and then tried to actually use this like it was in some way mocking. The "bible quotes" thing was way later than the funeral.

I don't know how to respond to this, I really don't.
>>
I haven't watched it yet. Does he even work as the Hero for Hire in this show, or do they just remove that aspect of Luke Cage
>>
>>86763496
Gone. Now he doesn't want to fight anybody and doesn't want money.
>>
>>86763484

>It opened on more than one episode
>he preached to a guy while holding him up by his neck

It was literally the same episode in the same scenario you clueless muppet

>final fight

You're whining that he had time to talk during a final fight? What is seriously wrong with you?

I seriously don't even know what is wrong with you, either you don't know what "preachy" means or you were actively looking for things to be offended by and never found them so you made them up.

Jessica Jones and Daredevil were more preachy based on your wonky definition. Yeah just best if you quit responding altogether since you have no point to make.
>>
>>86763514
Seems like such an important aspect of the character to just throw out. Does he at least still live in the old Gem Theater?
>>
>>86763599
>It was literally the same episode in the same scenario you clueless muppet

Second one is a different person, after he broke up the gun sale, you PSA in the making. He didn't choke the kid who held the gun to his head.

>You're whining that he had time to talk during a final fight?

No, I'm whining that stopping in the middle of a fist fight to literally preach about how you don't need to let the past hold you back was awful, completely destroyed the tension and made no sense considering he's talking to a gibbering lunatic who's joyfully murdered a lot of people.

Kind came off as preachy and stupid. Because it was.

>either you don't know what "preachy"
I do, but you don't. Here's what it means
>having or revealing a tendency to give moral advice in a tedious or self-righteous way.
"some were put off by the preachy tone of these stories"

Gonna argue he didn't constantly give off moral advice all the time and without provocation too, or is that one of the things you actually saw?

>or you were actively looking for things to be offended by and never found them so you made them up.

Or you're freaking out at legit criticisms to the show to the point where you literally can't count, can't read right, and somehow imagine things being written that weren't.

>Jessica Jones and Daredevil were more preachy based on your wonky definition.
Oh yeah, the actual definition is so wonky.

And holy shit, obviously Matt is preachy, he literally preached and spoke to preachers. He had whole subarcs about him preaching to Froggy. I didn't like those either, thought they slowed season 1 down more than it had to and made the Froggy-Matt episode insufferable, but at least he and Jessica didn't stop the damn final battle to talk about how Kingpin/Killgrave really needs to move on and be a better person.

>Yeah just best if you quit responding altogether since you have no point to make.

Oh shit, you sure showed me. Better not post anymore.
>>
File: 3688017-5141999350-tumbl.png (171KB, 508x504px) Image search: [Google]
3688017-5141999350-tumbl.png
171KB, 508x504px
>MFW white people are literally complaining about how there's not enough whites in Luke Cage.
Jesus fucking Christ. Let the niggas have their blaxploitation shit. You faggots are becoming like SJWs.
>>
File: Capture.png (22KB, 528x218px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
22KB, 528x218px
>>86759564

The irony is lost on those people
>>
>>86763879

>blaxploitation

I keep seeing this buzzword thrown around a lot, what does it even mean?

Don't white people love to say, "Why dont black people just make their own heroes instead of stealing from us?" then get mad when a black man is the lead of his own story?
>>
>>86761517
Pol pls
>>
>>86763832
>didn't stop the damn final battle to talk about how Kingpin/Killgrave really needs to move on and be a better person.

Were Kingpin and Kilgrave directly related to them like Diamondback was to Luke?

You're complaining about the dumbest thing imaginable. Something is seriously wrong with you.
>>
>>86763938
It wasn't anything like any specific blaxploitation movie, these people just have a vague understanding of the genre in an exterior sense, or at least what they think it's supposed to be.
>>
>>86763938
Blaxploitation is black superheroes or something in that realm made by black's to appeal to black's. Shaft and Black Dynamite are good examples.
>>
File: mack_poster_04.jpg (1MB, 1943x2953px) Image search: [Google]
mack_poster_04.jpg
1MB, 1943x2953px
>>86763938
Pic related
>>
>>86764002
You, specifically, asked for instances when he was preachy. I would think stopping what should have been a final battle to talk about not being your father and not making his mistakes, even though it's to a guy who was just cackling like the Joker when he punched a hole in somebody, counts as
>having or revealing a tendency to give moral advice in a tedious or self-righteous way.

Don't you?

You're literally complaining because you asked for something and somebody delivered what you asked for. I'd ask what the fuck is wrong with you, but it's not hard to figure out on your own.

When you can count all the ways, I mean.
>>
>>86763938
The soundtrack was classic blaxploitation which was great.
>>
>>86764512

What was the soundtrack supposed to be? Brittany Spears and Carly Rae Jepsen?
>>
>>86764512
>set in modern day Harlem
>no A$AP Mob in sight
I know they got A$AP Ferg to promote it but I feel like they should have been more involved
>>
>>86763661

No, and DW doesn't show up either
>>
>>86763879
It's more like they try to turn the SJWs eternal demand of 'diversity' on the blacks.
>>
>>86764531

Hip hop. They said the show was going to be "mid 90s hip hop vibe" yet the show was blaxploitation-lite, and shit like Jidenna

What was the point of putting Nas in most of the trailers and having Biggie posters and Method Man when all we got was maybe one or two hip hop songs in the series?
>>
>>86759414
I have no interest in this because I'm not black

Didn't watch JJ either because I'm not a woman

Bring on Iron First though
>>
File: 1475113725058.png (298KB, 557x605px) Image search: [Google]
1475113725058.png
298KB, 557x605px
I like how he was like "Don't call me a nigger"

and I thought, yeah, this is pretty cool
>>
>>86761600
But Meteor Man was, well, fun
>>
>>86765769
>Thisisbait.jpg
>>
>>86760292
too soon man
>>
Luke Cage is pro-black but anti-nigger
>>
>>86765909
Missing punchline is "since I am Asian"
>>
>>86759414
>Did the political undertone of Luke Cage give it an edge?
It wasn't political at all. Not to sound like a tool but this show is black from head to toe in a very good, grounded, modern way, dealing with a lot of the things a harlem/bronx native would go through in a very fictional way (South Bronx Native here, northern part of harlem is a few blocks away, I'm also a few blocks from "north hell's kitchen" aka the courthouse from DD S2).

If there were any actual political undertones to it, Luke Cage would probably be the bad guy for fighting the people who are fighting gentrification, which is not something the showrunners wanted to get into.
>>
>>86766137
>gentrification
>Bad
What
>>
>>86761185
>Nigger

It's nigga you dumb fuck
>>
>>86763496
he gets called that, and it's alluded to that he will get ownership of a barbershop and open up there.

but more importantly stop being a faggot and just watch the fucking show you impotent jackass
>>
File: 1470648610489.gif (2MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1470648610489.gif
2MB, 300x225px
>>86766200
The fact that people still don't understand or can even hear the difference astounds me
>>
>>86763938
>Don't white people love to say, "Why dont black people just make their own heroes instead of stealing from us?" then get mad when a black man is the lead of his own story?

are you implying that white people ever make any sense?
>>
>>86765769
are you asian? there are asians in the show
>>
>>86759414
It has the same political undertones as GTA V. It's about the crab mentality of black culture. It's what Atlanta should be. (Even though Luke Cage isn't really that good it's still better than that race-baiting fuck whitey horse shit).
>>
>>86761185
>evil white men
>Shit gets real when the nicest white beat cop friendly with everyone gets killed
>White male is one trying to keep New York from turning into a super arms race war zone
>Every freaking bad guy is a minority

Does every white male in a show have to be Jesus level saint to not be considered tumbler? I find it hard to believe tumbler bitches about X as much as you sensitive idiots.
>>
>>86759414
>It's a hoodie so it's Tray-Tray

But it was other black people who were shooting at him.
>>
>>86763938
It was black people who complained about blaxploitation, not whites.

>Getting mad when a black man is a lead

That's not what anyone is saying or has said.
>>
>>86763879
>becoming

Too late. 4chan is nothing but SJW looking for a cause to be offended by.
>>
>>86759414
Loved the show but the hoodie pissed me off.

Trayvon was a fucking thief casing houses.
>>
>>86763879
Reverse SJW's exist

They're basically SJW

But get this

In Reverse
>>
>>86766188
Gentrification tends to be considered bad because it prices out locals from areas they were living in for decades. After all, poor people have to live somewhere.

Great if you can afford to stay in the area and deal with skyrocketing rates though.
>>
>>86763832
Stop wasting your time on retards.
>>
>>86766355
Just like reality.

Even when a black cop shoots a black thug it's still systematic racism in action.

Somehow.
>>
>>86763934
>massive lack of diversity
>show set in harlem, well known across the USA for being a cornerstone of black culture in america
>show has a handful of asians and hispanics
>presence of whites in the show is minimal
>all major players are black
>show still has broad appeal
WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU WANT?!
>>
>>86766631
It's making fun of people calling for more diversity in films, since "calling for diversity" just means you don't like white people.
>>
>>86762562
There's a lot Biggie and Cottonmouth have in common thematically. You assume there's no other reason just because you don't see one.
>>
File: scared fox.jpg (57KB, 502x581px) Image search: [Google]
scared fox.jpg
57KB, 502x581px
>>86759414
>people still treat trayvon martin like a martyr when it was proven in court he jumped ontop of zimmerman and started smashing the back of his head against the sidewalk

if only he was bulletproof...
>>
>>86763938
>implying luke cage wasn't created by a white guy
>>
>>86767027

Too bad Zimmerman is an indefensible clown now.
>>
>>86759414
>/luke-cage-hoodie-nod-to-trayvon-martin/
Or you know, he just wearing a hoodie because that's what he wanted to wear that day
>>
>>86767088
Which would work and all, except Mike said it was a conscious decision on his part.
>>
>>86767073
Can't flimflam the Zimzam.
>>
>>86759414
Was it an episode about Luke not doin nuffin? Because otherwise a waste, and he looks retarded. Cage is totally a woolen skull cap hat kind of guy
>>
>>86767073
The president of the United Fucking States, who he fucking voted for, went on TV, called the thug who attacked him "son" and condemned him for daring to value his own life. Some psychopathic SJW tried to kill him twice by cornering him on highways with a gun. Thousands of blacks and useful idiots would love nothing more than to kill him slowly.

He's the monster we made him.

At least he's a funny one.
>>
>>86767027
Do still believe the hands up don't shoot thing with the Brown fellow?
>>
>>86767088
>who would have thought a BLACK MAN IN A HOODIE would be a bulletproof hero?!
>ain't that quackin crazy?!

People are so willfully fucking obtuse about this shit sweet fucking christmas.
>>
Where can I download the fucking soundtrack
>>
File: n8umjWj.png (3KB, 698x1284px) Image search: [Google]
n8umjWj.png
3KB, 698x1284px
>>86763070
>https://heatst.com/entertainment/luke-cage-criticized-for-its-conservative-and-respectability-politics/

Are we supposed to take that site seriously? This article links to one about BET getting 'trolled' by racist twitter users.

The articles are right-leaning libertarian clickbait. Sad.
>>
>>86767142
When he thew that cop into a car that everybody forgot after he beat up his big bro.

Also, Cottonmouth was a bitch. What a pathetic villain, even pre-Mamma Mabel Mariah was more threatening.
>>
I'm just kinda sick of the big "pat them on the back for making the relevant 2016 character". Especially since it's directed toward Netflix and MarvelTV or whatever the fuck they call it.

Luke Cage was a strongly socially contextualized character from his inception. Why are they acting like he was a character created for Jessica Jones?
>>
File: 1458358080048.gif (11KB, 227x224px) Image search: [Google]
1458358080048.gif
11KB, 227x224px
>>86761185
You're a fucking idiot

>Everything with Mama Mabel flashbacks
>Black guy shooting up Pops barber shop
>Cottonmouth shooting that one nigga with the book
>Cottonmouth using Pops funeral as leverage to fear monger a whole ROOM filled with blacks
>BLACK cop beats up a black kid
>Mariah killing Cottomouth
>Diamondback framing Luke in the first place
>Diamondback in general

The series was full on black on black crime, you're just too tunnel visioned to see something beyond your boogeyman
>>
>>86759564
People get so easily baited on twitter it puts 4chan users to shame
>>
>>86768626
Tyler perry does have white people
>inb4 people think Romeo is fucking the white bitch
Shes Eugenes wife
>>
>>86770472
>>
>>86765708

You have bad music taste.

>He didn't recognize all those Wu-Tang Clan tracks

Pleb
>>
>>86768626
I wonder if there's something you can put in crack that gives the smoker a sense of humor. I think that'd go a long way in helping people like this.
>>
>>86770555
Ronald Regan would know, he introduced crack to the ghettos
>>
>>86770522

Again, I said there was only a couple of rap songs on the show, including the Wu Tang stuff

I'm probably a bigger hip hop head than you anyway
>>
>>86768439
>Luke Cage was a strongly socially contextualized character from his inception. Why are they acting like he was a character created for Jessica Jones?

This, and I hate it when they day Luke Cage is a spinoff of Jessica Jones
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.