/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"The Soldier guy", "The Green guy", "The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

File: marvel-netflix-192607.jpg (179KB, 655x380px) Image search: [Google]
marvel-netflix-192607.jpg
179KB, 655x380px
"The Soldier guy", "The Green guy", "The hammer guy"
Why they can't call the Avengers by their names in the Netflix series? Legal issues?
>>
>>86756852
He literally said "Tony Stark" in the same sentence you retard.
>>
>>86756852

I think they're just trying to make it sound as grounded as possible, but in reality it's retarded.
>>
>>86756852
They said Captain America in Luke Cage.
As well as Iron Man and I think Thor.
>>
Because Netflix writers time traveled from the early 00s where capeshit adaptions were still considered silly and needed to be grimdark'd up.

It's amazing how the MCU movies feel way more mature than the shows that are actively trying to be mature.

>>86756889
>Tony Stark
>Not Iron Man
>>
>>86756889
probably this, idk how itd be a legal issue sincd they osn the characters
>>
>>86756938
Why call him Iron Man when everyone knows he's Tony Stark and Tony Stark was famous for ages before he became a superhero?
>>
>>86756852
>Harlem's Captain America
>>
>>86756852
Who's the guy with the beard?
>>
>>86756963
Nigga please
>>
>>86756978
Iron Fist.
>>
>>86757009
Every day I hope and pray that show will be good.
>>
>>86757009
Ah. So who's he going to be fighting?
>>
>>86756852
They're trying to show this world from the perspective of ordinary people who live in this world, not Avengers superfans. They've probably seen the news with the Avengers on, they know there have been battles, but they aren't necessarily going out of their way to remember their names all the time. "Captain America" or "Iron Man" might be easy to remember, but he's rarely even referred to as "The Hulk".
>>
>>86757041
Oh fuck off. MCU normies are essentially the same as real life normies. Ask anyone who doesn't live in a third world country to name some Avengers and you'll get names, not some forced "the flag waver" type bullshit.

If anything MCU normies have MORE exposure to the Avengers being that they actually exist and arent just movie characters.
>>
>>86756944
Could be a stupid preventative legal issue. "Well what if we want to sell the rights to the Netflix shows and movies separately?" kind of thing.

I know that sounds retarded, but maybe?
>>
>>86757179
Well Captain America is definitely known as such (and called that in Luke Cage) but I don't really know if that's the case for all the characters.

They dont seem to have much public relations beyond appearing in footage taken by bystanders
>>
Aside from Cap and Iron Man/Stark, maybe Wanda post-CW, I doubt the general public knows that much about the Avengers other than the fact they exist.
>>
>>86757009
>not Asian
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>86757264
>>86757254
I refuse to believe that's the case after the first Avengers movie. Half of America knows the name Sully Sullenberger and he's getting a movie and all he did was land a plane. The Avengers saved all of New York City.

Marvel Universe's Hollywood would be cranking out Avengers movies faster than we are.
>>
>>86757283
You know I haven't actually met anyone that wants Danny to be Asian.
>>
>>86756938
Method Man said Iron Man
>>
>>86757305
A lot of people know Sully's name, but there's still a good chunk of people who'd call him "that dude who landed the plane in the river"
>>
The way they were throwing around the name "diamondback" makes me think its some sort of legal thing
>>
>>86757334
>but there's still a good chunk of people who'd call him "that dude who landed the plane in the river"
Oh yeah, I remember that guy.
>>
>>86757348
Again, while they throw around shit like "green guy" they still refer to the characters by their names a couple of times, so I doubt it's a legal thing.
>>
>>86757348
Why?
>>
>>86756852
You bring this up in nearly every thread and you're the only one bothered by it.
>>
Because the average guy on the street doesn't know their names. This takes place right after the Avengers first formed.
>>
Same reason they don't call Murdock "Daredevil" or Fisk "Kingpin" or Killgrave "Purple Man". They're going for realism and superhero/villain names sound silly.
>>
>>86757431

Diamondback is Netflix
Green guy is Movies

I don't know. Just tossing ideas at the wall.
>>
>>86757622
Back to /tv/

Actually go back to the early 00s
>>
>>86757431
Does anyone in public know Banner is called Hulk? Seemed like a codenamed used by the government at first. But again there is no reason to get mad over this.
>"B-but theyre embarassed by the name"
They had Rocket Raccoon and Groot on film for fuck sake
>>
File: marvel bois evil.jpg (83KB, 564x757px) Image search: [Google]
marvel bois evil.jpg
83KB, 564x757px
>>86756852
THEY DON'T KNOW WHO THOR OR HULK ARE!!!

They didn't release a press statement explaining themselves. Stark and Cap are very public figures.
>>
Does Agents of SHIELD call them by their names?
>>
>>86757697
Avengers had the epilogue with people marching with signs that said "Hulk=Hero"

In Thor 2 an extra yelled out "Look it's Thor! Waving his hammer and everything!"
>>
>>86757764
Were any of those people niggers from Harlem?
>>
File: agents.jpg (19KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
agents.jpg
19KB, 182x268px
>>86757749
Constantly, and ever movie release has a clear direct tie-in, like after Thor 2 when they had to clean up the Elf debris and corpses in london.

>>86757764
Yeah, but people in the ghetto are VERY stupid, it's clearly the same universe and they have background images straight from the first movie.
>>
File: tumblr_o3fsjwEgPi1qzyvtfo1_500.png (115KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3fsjwEgPi1qzyvtfo1_500.png
115KB, 500x500px
>>86757314

They definitely do exist. If you go to Tumblr and search "Iron Fist," most of the top results will be complaining about him not being asian. Pic related.

This having been said, Tumblr does have the reputation it has for a reason; it's an echo chamber where fringe opinions are treated as normal, and this is one of them.
>>
>>86756852
It's a means of creating a disconnect between the street level world that normal people reside in and the superhero/superspy world of the movies. It's a narrative thing.
>>
>>86756852
If you ever read Marvel comic books...you'll realize most civilians even in the comics often have no fucking idea who the different super heroes are....it isn't rare even for other super heroes to not recognize other super heroes they haven't had a direct cross over event with

It's stupid, yeah, but I guess the logic is that in a world where super heroes and vigilantes are commonplace nobody really gives a fuck
>>
>>86757826
Oh
That's unfortunate.

I wanna say "do these people not get Iron Fist at all" but then most of them probably never even touched a book with him in it.
>>
>>86757815
/pol/ go back to your containment board
>>
>>86757764
Just because some people are familiar with the names doesn't mean everybody is, or is comfortable with using them. In a real world situation it would't be like comic book characters that everyone has known since childhood.

Also, there's already enough name-dropping going on in the show without any more. Kenyatta was enough.
>>
File: Givin it bifters.jpg (34KB, 599x414px) Image search: [Google]
Givin it bifters.jpg
34KB, 599x414px
>>86756852
Its been years since I saw the Incredible Hulk, so I can't speak for that film, but outside of that, I think only Stark has ACTUALLY called the Hulk, The Hulk. He's usually referred to as Banner, or "your/my problem" etc.

Thor turned up for like a week in backwater fuck knows and slapped about a big ol' robot with a laser for a face. Then he turned up for about a day or two to kick seven shades of shit out of Loki and his army with the rest of the Avengers. He went about with the Avengers chasing down the sceptre, but that was under cover classified shit. Then he publicly saved some people in Sokovia from Ultron for a few hours. He's never put out a press release, or really spoken to anyone who isn't an avenger, a member of SHIELD, Selvig or Jane Foster. People don't really know WHO he is.

The Hulk should have been referenced way more though, given in Avengers he says "Last time I was in NY I broke Harlem." You'd think the rebuilt or repercussions of that would have at least been mentioned.

They've never referred to Cap as "Soldier guy"
>>
>>86757826

If they had made Danny asian I bet they would complain about asians being typecasted as martial artists. You can't win with PC morons.
>>
>>86757314
It really isn't any sort of campaign or anything. We just live in a time where one or two people can say some dumbass shit and then some "news" site will blow that up for clicks.
>>
File: What's up you meme loving fuck.jpg (50KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
What's up you meme loving fuck.jpg
50KB, 640x416px
>>86757826
>it's an echo chamber where fringe opinions are treated as normal

Just like /pol/ ;)
>>
I forget the names of actors and characters all the time and then try getting people to realise who I'm talking about by bringing up something I think they'll know.

I couldn't remember the name of the one scientist from Pacific Rim so I call him, 'Do this thing for sure' anytime he shows up in things like GoT and Turn. People always get it.

I'm sure it's something similar.
>>
>>86757891
To be fair "black guy screams about superhero when he's passing through" is a very common cape movie trope.
>>
>>86757334
Only real reason I know him is because of American Dad
>>
File: Pepe meme magic.gif (499KB, 387x305px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe meme magic.gif
499KB, 387x305px
>>86758130
>See the backlash against feminism

Not that feminism isn't bollocks mind, but the inability of people to see that just because one or two nutters say something on a message board, it doesn't mean everyone from that group/movement/etc believe exactly the same thing, astounds me.

>Hurr lol they think Pepe is a far right thing because of a couple of far right versions
>ALL FEMINISTS BELIEVE WHAT THIS FUCKING IDIOT IS SAYING

Literally the same currency man
>>
>>86758130
I just kinda don't get it.
Danny not being Asian is important, and I guess you could make the case that Asian Americans might have that same feeling of not feeling like they belong anywhere, but I just don't see what him being Asian would add other than "He's Asian and really likes kung-fu"

Like, why ask for an Asian Iron Fist when fucking Shang-Chi exist?
>>
>>86758318
Making an Asian hero a kung fu expert is almost as bad as making a Mexican hero wear a poncho and sombrero. Nothing wrong with it, I fucking love cheesy as shit kung fu movies and WuTangs 36 chambers is my shit, but it does feel like you're boiling what an Asian hero can be down to stereotypes.
>>
>>86758387
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, I'm just saying I do not get why some people want it to be a thing.

What could you do with an Asian Danny that you can't with a white one?
What would it do for the character and his stories other than the fact that he's Asian.

I brought up Shang-Chi because it's the thing that baffles me the most. People want an Asian kung-fu expert? We've got one already and he get absolutely no love.
>>
>>86758468
>and he get absolutely no love.
He's literally getting 2 Omnibuses this year mate.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/130290129X
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1302901303
That's more than a lot of D-Listers have.
>>
>>86758515
I meant from people craving an Asian Danny.
>>
File: Grant Morrison Cake.jpg (309KB, 673x1017px) Image search: [Google]
Grant Morrison Cake.jpg
309KB, 673x1017px
>>86758468
I suppose because considering a lot of Marvel's stories are set in New York, the Marvel Universe is by comparison really not all that diverse.

I'm not saying that like its a huge problem, they have plenty of non white non male characters, but I guess some of them have an aura of tokenism about them.

I know people complain about shit like Riri being Iron Man and Miles being Spider-Man with the whole "create your own hero, don't co-opt ours!" thing, but from Marvel's point of view, how many new characters that have been created recently have actually stuck? Miles and Kamela are the only ones that spring to mind. It isn't that easy given that the big two have only put out a handful of actually decent reccuring heroes worthy of their own book since the 80's.

I'm not really that fussed about the SJW bollocks Marvel are up to, but playing devil's advocate, I can see both sides
>>
>>86758556
Ah. Well fuck those guys. Literally no-one cares what they think.
>>
>>86758295
>Confusing an analogue of a smiley face to an actual affiliation to believes and agenda.
>>
>>86758610
That's the problem with the model Marvel and DC live by.

Normally, the stories should end regularly and new stories with new cast should re-appear. Iron Man should not be black or white or a woman. Iron Man should have ended decades ago.
>>
>>86758610
>I know people complain about shit like Riri being Iron Man and Miles being Spider-Man with the whole "create your own hero, don't co-opt ours!"

I love legacy characters and I honestly believe that's the only way most new characters would ever survive my thing is just not seeing what it would do for the character.

Miles is a good example. I was pretty excited for Miles to make his debut way back because I bought into Bendis' bullshit about how he was now going to be able to do stories he couldn't do with Peter. So in my head I'm thinking we're going to get stories that deal with his race, his age, his entire background, you know? I thought they would do everything they could to make Miles stand out from Peter, but they didn't. I won't call him a Peter clone because he's definitely not, but he also doesn't really have (aside from the venom blast and the camouflage he never uses) or do anything that makes him feel like a "fresh take" on an established hero.
I just feel the same thing would happen with an Asian Iron Fist.
>>
>>86758723
My point was, that the same people who find it hilarious (it is) that Clinton's campaign genuinely thinks pepe is a far right icon because of a few memes are the same ones who judge all of feminism because of a few memes made by fringe retards.

Again, not a feminist, not even slightly, but it amuses me how people can find the idea of tarring everyone who posts a pepe as literal neo-nazis to be ludicrous, but then tar every feminist by the words of one or two people.
>>
>>86758764
The point of Miles is different. Peter is all about guilt and responsibility. Miles is all about living up to a legend, carving your own path and the toll that takes on someone who is around the age where you really start discovering yourself.

I'm not saying it's done well, but that's my takeaway from him
>>
>>86758836
The trouble is the feminist movement does genuinely contain people who think that the writer of the SCUM Manifesto and Andrea Dworkin were good, rational people, same as the alt-right does genuinely contain neo-nazis.
Sure they're on the sidelines but they're still tolerated and when the media pretends that all feminists are good but all alt-righters are bad they're being deliberately disingenuous.
>>
>>86757041
If you can remember the name of Kim Kardashian or Angelina Jolie, you could probably remember the name of the Avengers. I'm sure in they are everywhere in the MCU (news outlets, gossip sites, etc)
>>
File: Creationism.gif (3MB, 312x176px) Image search: [Google]
Creationism.gif
3MB, 312x176px
>>86758908
>Alt righters don't like being shat upon by the media, just like how Third Wave feminists complain about media treatment of woman
>Feminists are just whiny cunts for complaining about media treatment according to alt-righters

Really makes your neurons fire.
>>
>>86758976

It is different. Those are celebrities that work on being famous and actively pursue the means to be on the spot. Except for Cap and Tony most supers on MCU try to actively hid their activities, most of what are military and state secrets.

It is more probable, given common world logic, that we will see Luke Cage t shirts on stores than Thor ones.
>>
>>86758976
That's different, you see them on tv and movies all the time. You probably don't know the names of the head of the military and police though.
>>
>>86757888
None of these people knew who Iron Fist was before the show got announced.
>>
>>86758976
I suppose you could argue that "Hulk" has never been shown to be a common name for him in the MCU and that people, especially those with strong Christian/Islamic/atheist beliefs might not be necessarily comfortable with calling Thor, Thor as it kind of acknowledges in some way the legitimacy of the Norse pantheon, something which before his arrival had been consigned to the history books.
>>
>>86757651
Read the thread/watch the shows again. They refer to Captain America as Captain America
>>
>>86757027
With his fists
>>
>>86758069
He also spent some time before AoU taking out Hydra, but that probably wasn't too publicized
>>
>>86757826
That just looks like Shang-Chi...
>>
>>86759432
Just reread the post I'm responding to and you said exactly that. Ignore me I'm a retard
>>
>>86759344
JJ called him "The Flag Waver"
>>
>>86759278
I know this would never happen, but I really hope they deal with this on one of the Netflix shows. What would religious people do, believe, think after everything that has happened? What about atheists? I think it would be interesting.
>>
>>86759096
Isn't it canon that there is Avengers merch in the MCU? Didn't they show some in AOS?
>>
>>86758069
I was a little annoyed they referenced Thor way more than Hulk, hell in daredevil ben has an article about the monster of Harlem so it has been used in the Netflix shows
>>
They explicitly refer to Luke Cage as Harlem's Captain America
>>
>>86759620
I get what you're saying, but I think it would be hard to include it without it feeling forced.

I kind of feel they summed it up with the "there's only one God and he doesn't dress like that" like from Avengers. I'd imagine that's the view of a lot of people.

I would love to see something of a resurgence of norse worship in Thor 3, but somehow I doubt we'll get it
>>
>>86759666
I guess they want to use reference to greater things sparingly so it doesn't seem like a crutch, so they stand up or fall mostly on their own.

If they mentioned the wider universe more people would be complaining about the constant references.
>>
I can see from a writer's standpoint that the Avengers are sorta this weird and alien concept to a lot of the normies in the Marvel universe, most of them have never met them and only hear about them on the news when some real crazy shit is going down. The idea of aliens and killer robots are probably terrifying, hell even the idea of somebody like Thor or the Hulk or Vision even existing in the real world. Calling them by nicknames and descriptors can be a form of self-denial that the normies use to make it feel less real or immediate instead of an abstract concept. Kinda like calling Voldemort you-know-who. Once you start referring to things by proper names it normalizes them and makes them real.
>>
>>86759980
I agree with this. The past 8 years have been crazy, especially for those living in NYC in the MCU.

My wish is that they would have referenced Hulk and his history with Harlem on LC. It would make sense why people would initially be wary of Cage, and why some would support Hammer's weapons. JJ dealt with the human backlash pretty well, even though it was only a 1 ep arc.
>>
>>86759561
And Cottonmouth referred to him as "Captain America"
>>
File: the avengers japs.jpg (120KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
the avengers japs.jpg
120KB, 640x960px
>>86757305
>>86757264

No, they were always celebrities. Jessica Jones even has hero fuckers.
>>
>>86759561

JJJ hates everyone who wears masks because muh astronaut son.

I thought he had a softspot for Cap, since Steve is not a masked menace like SPIDERMAN.
>>
>>86762284
I meant Jessica Jones. But that does sound like something JJ would say.
>>
File: thorite.jpg (324KB, 688x314px) Image search: [Google]
thorite.jpg
324KB, 688x314px
>>86759761
>I would love to see something of a resurgence of norse worship in Thor 3, but somehow I doubt we'll get it

Thorites exist in 2099.

They even make fake gods and nearly crash a floating Asgard on NYC
>>
>>86759980

Do people in the movieuniverse know Tony created Ultron? I imagine Nick Fury is playing damage control constantly.
>>
>>86762319

Yeah, Jessica Jones is a self loathing mess because she's a cape hater whose only business is superheroes.
>>
This is an incredibly dumb thing to get angry about.
>>
>>86762430
Pretty sure the public thinks Fury is dead
>>
>>86758069
Cap calls him Hulk as well, when he's giving orders in Avengers 1.

>Hulk? Smash.
>>
>>86756852
>Why they can't call the Avengers by their names in the Netflix series? Legal issues?

Lol what? They've literally name dropped "Captain America" about a dozen times.
>>
>>86756978

Hodor?
>>
Think about it,Besides Tony,who is a well known billionare,and Cap who's litteraly apart of history,non of them should have their names known to the public. They don't do interviews or make appearances,except for tony. The public doesn't call them by their names because they don't know them. Only the team and SHEILD knows,simple as that
>>
>>86758069

Yea but thor is literally thor from the mythology, known worldwide.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.