[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Marshal Law and Watchmen prove that Superheroes is very

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 258531-132131-marshal-law.jpg (71KB, 488x640px) Image search: [Google]
258531-132131-marshal-law.jpg
71KB, 488x640px
Did Marshal Law and Watchmen prove that Superheroes is very evil concept?
>>
>>86749903
Where can i read marshall law. Is it still in print?
>>
>>86750018
I don't know.
>>
>>86749903
no
>>
Evil in what way?
>>
>>86749903
No, both Marshal Law and Watchmen have specific conceits to their world in order for them to function. The question they answer isn't "Is the concept of the Superhero evil?" the question answered is "Can the concept of the Superhero be evil?"
>>
>>86750068
Why?
Both showed how Superheroe concept is in fact ugly concept, didn't it?
Superheroes in these story are arrogant, violent,cruel,etc.
>>
>>86750131
See >>86750117
I think you're easily enthralled by their viewpoint.
>>
>>86750018
Yes, yes.

>>86750131
Nah, Watchmen is taking the basic superhero concept and applying dirt world grimminess to it, it says nothing about archetypal superheroes like Superman, Marhsal Law is just a big dumb edgy fun shitride, everyone is ugly and retarded, from our fetish gear nipple pierced protagonist to his handicapped fat greas teammates, it says nothing about classic superhero archetypes. Also, you're likely a simpleton, stop trying and go read some manga.
>>
Deconstructions don't prove anything. It's easy to knock something down than it is to build it.

That said: Marshal Law was hilarious.
>>
>>86750131
I can write a story where dogs are mean and cruel. That doesn't mean they're not awesome.
>>
>>86750298
I love how Marshal Law managed to preemptively parody 90% of Garth Ennis' protagonists.
>>
>>86749903
Wanting to be a powerful vigilante is an inherently lowbrow and reactionary fantasy but in the form we see it in superheroes I wouldn't says it's normally an evil one, usually it's mainly just childish. That said there's not really anything wrong with indulging in some escapism from time to time as long as you know you're indulging in escapism
>>
>>86749903
People come in varying personalities. Stories like these just happen to depict a world in which only deviant personalities would choose to become vigilante crimefighters.

But note the fact that in the world of Watchmen, superpowers almost don't exist and the only people who are heroes are the kinds of people who would have a mental disorder or selfish, fetishy motivation to put on a goofy costume and pick fights with muggers. See also: Kickass, or real life dorks like Phoenix Jones.

And it is convenient for the story Alan Moore wanted to tell that the ONLY dude in the world who gets powers is already an extreme introvert and prime candidate for clinical depression.

Would EVERYONE become a fucking nihilist detatched from humanity if they were in Manhattan's shoes? Maybe not.

But even Watchmen has at least one guy who seems CLOSE to a decent, well-adjusted person or classically heroicly motivated superhero in Nite-Owl. (In spite of the fact that he's also basically a cosplay fetishist)

To presume this is the ONLY possible outcome is to presume that, if superpowers were real, a guy like Nite-Owl would never be the one who gets them. That there are no Clark Kent or Barry Allen personality types in the world, or if there are, those guys would never be the ones lucky enough to stumble into an origin story.

I don't know the actual odds, the ratio of folks who would genuinely want to help and protect people vs. deviant weirdos vs. people who would rather be supervillains than superheroes vs. people who, if they got powers, would just want to be left alone and lead normal lives...(plus there's probably a whole category of people who, if they got powers, would do the hero thing just because they're capefags and want to emulate)...but it's probably not so one-sided as OP's stories suggest.
>>
>>86750788
The first Nite-Owl is the only classic cape in the book.
>>
>>86750018
I got it off comixology I think.
>>
>>86750810
That he also gets off on the outfits doesn't change the fact that Dan's the nicest guy in the book.
>>
>>86750018
You welcome, pleb.
http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Marshal-Law-1987
>>
>>86751324
Thank you.
>>
>>86750018
go to desuarchive.org, open the search menu in the upper right corner, select only co and search for:
"marshal law" http*

in the search results there will be a link to an omnibus of almost every marshal law comic
>>
File: Pinhead vs. Marshall Law.jpg (152KB, 670x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Pinhead vs. Marshall Law.jpg
152KB, 670x1000px
>>86750018
>>86751798
While you are at it, read Pinhead Vs. Marshall Law: Law in Hell. Nice little crossover of the 90's
>>
>>86750556
Well Ennis is a big Pat Mills fan
>>
>>86750117
This. I'm reading Marshal Law right now, and the context is entirely that most of these superheroes are soldiers, brainwashed to do nothing but fight for whatever "justice" was defined as by the government at the time. Superheroes as a concept in this world aren't evil, they're an excuse to abuse power granted by greedy and heartless puppeteers.
>>
File: starman_(1994)_02_24.jpg (391KB, 975x1519px) Image search: [Google]
starman_(1994)_02_24.jpg
391KB, 975x1519px
>>86749903
We've been over this a long time now.
Everyone that takes the Moore view of Capes as fact should just stop being a casual and read Starman V.2
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.