[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Netflix Hit ‘Luke Cage’ Criticized for Its Conservativism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 300
Thread images: 15

File: 16-31-2001-812x522.jpg (45KB, 812x522px) Image search: [Google]
16-31-2001-812x522.jpg
45KB, 812x522px
https://heatst.com/entertainment/luke-cage-criticized-for-its-conservative-and-respectability-politics/

>An article in The Ringer, “Luke Cage, Black Conservative,” criticized Cage’s politics, his patriotism and his aversion to use or be called the n-word by other black people. The actor who plays Cage, Mike Colter, has said in interviews he doesn’t like the n-word and lobbied the show-runner to keep the word out of Cage’s vocabulary.

>“Cage dates himself with stale concerns: if black people should say “nigga,” whether or not tailored clothing is the measure of a man’s self-respect, and so on,” The Ringer article read. “He’s a big, buff, invincible disappointment. Any other uptown native might’ve been quicker to discover that Harlem’s greater, untouchable menace is the NYPD. But what, Luke Cage wonders, about black-on-black crime?”

>A more tempered article in Vulture also claimed the show veered into respectability politics.

Memes aside, what the fuck did they mean by this?
>>
>>86738759
The person who wrote the article wanted Cage to embrace all the worst parts of black culture, instead of be a good person.
>>
>>86738759
They don't like that he's telling black people to act with some decency and to take some responsibility for their actions instead of constantly blaming something other than themselves.
>>
>>86738759
Some Black people think any attempt to improve is White Oppression.
>>
>>86738759
I think people saying this are looking at the show just as superficially as the people who see Luke banging Jess in JJ and claim the show was being political with that too. It's an adaptation of a characters' personality. Not everything has to be a political issue.
>>
>>86738814
>Bill Cosby.jpg
>>
>>86738759
His Gramma was all like "nope" and he adopted Sweet Christmas instead.
>>
I absolutely saw this coming when watching the show. All the characters were handled brilliantly and people are actually disappointed they weren't chimping stereotypes.
>>
>>86738759
He should have slaughtered pigs and held his fists sideways to look gangsta

Can't believe he didn't wear a do-rag either

The show is trying to erase black culture
>>
>>86738860
Yeah I told my buddies the same thing. I knew that "black culture" wouldnt like that he doesnt want to be called nigga and get pissy that he was saying to get a job.
>>
>>86738864
This would be an accurate adaptation of his original Blaxploitation character but not what he stands for.
>>
>>86738822
it comes from the philosophy a lot of these kind of media commentators embrace; "the personal is the political", which I think is a flawed way of looking at things, as I feel it reduces people to sociological concepts interacting with each other, and I for one feel people are a bit more complex than that.
>>
>>86738887
You are too smart to be in 4chan, anon.
>>
He's literally a bulletproof black man wearing a hoodie.

But that's not enough, apparently.
>>
>>86738916
But he doesn't complain or use his black privilege to intimidate white folk.
>>
>>86738759
They think Luke Cage is a household negro.
>>
>>I hate this show because the characters don't agree with my views.
>>
>>86738822
>It's an adaptation of a characters' personality
But Cage's personality in the show really isn't the same is his personality in the comics. Him not swearing is classic Cage though. That's why he said shit like "sweet christmas." I'm glad they kept that aspect, but MCU Luke doesn't have 616 Luke's showmanship.
>>
>>86738759
Apparently, fighting crime in your own culture means you just want to be respected by white people (White people who are barely in the show or important in it) and not, you know, protect actual Black victims of crime, or respect the legacy of the Black heroes Luke mentioned multiple times.
>>
File: fz-11552_r-e1421807750399.jpg (54KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
fz-11552_r-e1421807750399.jpg
54KB, 630x420px
>>86738872
I hate that they actually managed to get otherwise self respecting black people to white knight for some of these people. It's like they have their own kind of "white guilt". It is funny seeing a number of black people in the industry attempting to fight some of this
>>
>>86738803
>be a good black person
Fixed. Because all the people in this thread is white, right?
>>
>>86738759
fuck 'em. they can't touch Luke's shine!
>>
>>86738887
I think it gets mixed up with how the show runners talk in interviews about how they're using their show to explore themes like faith/guilt in DD and misogyny in JJ. Writers then seek to look for messages/politics in the whole product. But the thing is exploring a subject doesn't necessarily mean taking a stance on something. South Park actually does that way more explicitly and no one really criticizes it this way.
>>
>>86738987
*be
>>
>>86738759

Why are you here posting opinion blogs from other people? Are you stupid or something?
>>
>>86739003
>exploring a subject doesn't necessarily mean taking a stance on something
Only machines lack opinion.
>>
>>86738957
Most MCU characters are different in many ways than their 616 counterparts. They hold some characteristics sure, but they intentionally have gone in different directions for mostly everyone.
>>
>>86739031
That's nice
>>
File: 1246630925902.jpg (23KB, 215x157px) Image search: [Google]
1246630925902.jpg
23KB, 215x157px
>>86738759
Black anons, I know y'all there.
What were your thoughts on Luke Cage?
>>
>>86739031
Having an opinion about something is on a different level than taking a political stance on a subject.
>>
>>86739063
Not War Machine/10
>>
>>86739063

I thought it was a pretty good representation of black culture, was funny, great soundtrack, had lots of references that I know most white people missed, and the end was very poetic in that Luke is going back to jail even after being a hero, representing the massive incarceration rates are for black men compared to other demographics.
>>
>>86739085
But War Machine is the most boring nigga in the MCU so far.
>>
>>86739063
9/10. The funny thing is in the black community they will try to shame you for leaving behind the streets and gettong a real job
>>
My friend didn't like this show because he was uncomfortable with how people brought up "yeah we black" or whatever. I beginning to think he's mildly racist because a lot of the themes were handled maturely, but perhaps not subtle
>>
>>86738759
What's funny is that certain conservatives thought Like Cage was going to be "Fuck Whitey: The Show" and when it wasn't that and actually was pretty even keeled when it came to talking about racial strife people are prissy that it wasn't more radical in what it was saying. Can't please anyone.
>>
>>86738759
>Memes aside, what the fuck did they mean by this?
Basically Luke Cage's problems are black people problems seen by conservatives.

Black on black crime is the problem, not an oppressive situation. Black people should just quietly do their job, even if they get paid shit for it.
>>
>>86739029
Heat Street is an attempt to make a "cool" conservative website.
>>
>>86738759
author is getting creamed in the comments. that makes me happy. It's great to see people NOT falling for Bullshit.
>>
>>86739112
>the black community they will try to shame you for leaving behind the streets and gettong a real job

You sound like a white boy who grew up in the suburbs. Literally clueless.
>>
>>86739104
The armor is what makes War Machine cool.
>>
>>86739063
Excellent I love how they took a character created as general Blacksploitation and turned into something really interesting and positive.
>>
>>86739064
>implying they're different
Please stop, you're not used to think.
>>
>>86739134
Actually inner city in one of the worst cities in America and sold drugs to get through college so go fuck yourself.
>>
>>86739112
So basically the article in the OP is standard reaction towards black people who don't act gangsta?
>>
>>86738759

This is annoying. I actually liked how the show put a big emphasis on the lack of a father figure being a big pressure into putting black kids into gangs, during the early episodes, as that is statistically accurate.

Also "black on black crime" is far more prevalent than "cop on black crime" so it is ALSO accurate that Luke would focus on that.
>>
>>86739158

And I'm the king of spain.
>>
>>86739155
So it's bad to have an opinion?
>>
>>86739112
yea that's not true...
>>
>>86739158
Prove it.
>>
>>86739155
>it's impossible to create media without it being an author tract
>>
>>86739143
Yeah I enjoyed him in the Civil War airport fight, I loved how tanky he looked.

Still, I think he's the most boring one so far. Maybe it's also because of Cheadle? I feel like he lacks the charisma that Howard had.
>>
>>86739160
no.
>>
>>86739134
What makes you the ducking expert on the streets?
>>
>>86739177
It's bad to be stupid, stupid anon.

>>86739184
>fiction should be dumb like me!
>>
>>86739134
It's true though. That Fresh Prince of Bel Air scene is still accurate as fuck to this day.
>>
>>86739160
Yeah case and point >>86739134
Thinks just cause I can properly put a sentence together I must be white.
>>
>>86739003
I don't think it's necessarily an issue with people trying to look for messages, I feel it's more how they're looking for those messages. They way people are being taught to analyse and criticise media in colleges and universities focuses very heavily on society and sociological theories and very little on the individual as a unique human. So the result you get is a black person not being fond of nigga is due to respectability politics born from white supremacy instead of a product of his own individual nature. I don't know, it treats groups of people as hive minds instead of individuals with their own innate differences and unique experiences. I'm not a fan of looking at the world in that way.
>>
>>86739204
>What makes you the ducking expert on the streets?

The fact that you just said ducking.
>>
>>86738987
>Fixed. Because all the people in this thread is white, right?
Statistically, likely.
>>
>Heat Street

Literally Rupert Murdoch's "How do you do fellow kids, you like conservatism, right?" headed up by a paranoid schizophrenic ex-addict who thinks that everyone who is mean to her on twitter is a russian troll.
>>
>>86739190
IMHO CAGE > War Machine. I never liked war machine, even in the comics tho so...
>>
>>86739209
>not shoving the author's political views down your throat means no opinions are expressed whatsoever

k
>>
>>86739063
I liked it. 8/10. Don't like how Cottonmouth died.
>>86739112
Depends on where you're from and who you're around. I'm in Brooklyn and a college student yet I don't really feel that from anyone
>>
>>86739238
Really? I was under the impression that most of the people on /co/ were canines.
>>
>>86739214

>properly put a sentence together I must be white

Not even close you chump.
>>
>>86739169
and I'm the King of Sweden, shout out to all us royals
>>
>>86739260

Oh look an uppity white boy from the suburbs getting mad cause his stupid world view got called into question.

Do you have an actual argument retard?
>>
>>86739063
Black, but refuse to consume Marvel products because they're a shitty, petty company who -- across the board -- are only interested in surface-level depth to their writing, their art, their marketing, etc. in all media.

Marvel was banking on these types of articles popping up, so I'm not surprised at all.
>>
>>86738759
Doesn't matter.
All of the respectible black movement radio shows and podcasts love it.
>>
>>86739282
Do you? You just said he was clueless that's not an argument
>>
>>86739250
I only liked war machine in marvel vs games.
Because of his line "here's my Sunday best"
>>
>>86739209
You're a massive faggot.
>>
>>86739134
Are you fucking retarded or just don't have any clue what you are talking about? Try to go from selling drugs to getting a paid job and every motherfucker you know is gonna be giving you shit for it.
>>
>>86739225
>NEET tries grammar to win his argument about he's the expert on the ghetto

wew
>>
>>86739296

Says the retard who started injecting nonsense about tumblr and "only white people can be racist"

That sure is a lot of stupidity to cram into one post cause you're so used to arguing against strawmen you've completely lost all ability to read.
>>
>>86738987
I'm legally white but if you looked at me you'd want to throw me back over the border.
>>
>>86739063
I haven't liked Mike Coulter in...in anything I can think of. Guy is the worse actor to get a role this big. Despite him having NO presence and little emotion the show was overall really good. I can only imagine what it would be like if they hired someone with personality to play Luke. Other than him my only real problems (and this might have been a budget issue, which I can understand) were every ones attempts to fight him. The soundtrack was surprisingly good. Seeing some the performers was CRAZY. Faith Evans WTF, I havn't seen her in fucking years.
>>
Respectability politics is basically the idea that black people have to act "respectable" (by mainstream, white majority standards) in order to be treated equally.
>>
>>86739324

>about he's the expert on the ghetto

Is English your 10th language? Can't actually have a discussion with someone who doesn't know what they're saying.
>>
>>86739161
Don't use math here. Just angrily shit post.
>>
>urban usa
>>
File: 1474318443188.jpg (285KB, 1085x1045px) Image search: [Google]
1474318443188.jpg
285KB, 1085x1045px
>>86739063
I thought that it was great. I really didn't like how Cottonmouth stupidly blurted out that his cousin liked being raped though, and what ended up happening because of it. What a fucking mess that turned out to be.
>>
>>86739209

Fiction is whatever the hell the reader gets from it. If the author is trying to make a point or highlight some aspect of society they feel needs changing, fine. But if they're basically giving you a politics session from the pulpit it ceases being fiction at that point. It goes from some abstract observation about the human condition to a simple pamphlet of opinions

TL;DR, good fiction asks questions, bad "fiction" tries to answer them.
>>
>>86739347
There is no "acting white". Their is being respectful and not being respectful. That doesnt have race restrictions.
>>
>>86739351
No one who has practical knowledge of the streets would have a pissing match over typos.
>>
For someone that doesn't take to black people, hated Jessica Jones and doesn't think Luke Cage has had one good comic, would I like this?
>>
>>86739374
t. part of the oppressive majority
>>
>>86739282
>implying i'm white

The argument is you dont know what the fuck your talking about just like all the other middle class white girls who watched roots and took a black history class and now call them selves "allies"
>>
>>86739395
Fuck off, anon. No one cares that you don't like black people
>>
>>86739372
So you hate it when fiction says something you disagree with, OK.
>>
>>86738759
Luke Cage is pretty uncle tom as fuck. This guy isn't wrong.
>>
>>86739417
I'm asking you a question.
>>
>>86739397
What. There is informal and formal behavior. You behave formally towards strangers. You can be informal with your friends. This isn't anyone "oppressing" anyone. The entirety of the Spanish language even has different words for this.
>>
>>86739318

You're the one who's clueless, given how stupid you are to box all things into black and white without realizing that numerous shades of gray exist.

Yes people get bullied if they try to get out of selling drugs cause the mobs and gangs rope you in too deep to the point that it's impossible to get out and when you do/try to then you're practically committing suicide and asking for your family to be harmed.

The way assholes like you word this is that black people as a culture endorse "growing up hard on the streets" when the reality is that most people are trying to get away from that life but once you get in it becomes nigh impossible to do so cause of the gang influence.

Go be an ignorant stupid faggot somewhere else.
>>
>>86739395
>doesn't think Luke Cage has had one good comic

Which have you actually even bothered to read? Or did you just want to shitpost?
>>
File: 096af0dd836f390298f985e331ce04e0.jpg (189KB, 2000x1250px) Image search: [Google]
096af0dd836f390298f985e331ce04e0.jpg
189KB, 2000x1250px
>>86739334
>I'm legally white but if you looked at me you'd want to throw me back over the border.
>>
>>86738759

That's dumb. I don't like using the n word or being called it either. I understand reclaiming slurs but the only slur I reclaim is 'queer', and that's because I forget it's a slur to most people.
>>
>>86738759
tbf I get uncomfortable being called something that's been slung at me as an insult for years
>>
>>86739440
>Luke Cage is pretty uncle tom as fuck.

No he isn't

>This guy isn't wrong

Yes he is
>>
>>86739444
Clearly you aren't mixed you fucking faggot. Youve proved time and time again you don't know shit. Black culture does shame you into trying to stay ghetto. Do you even know who Kendrick Lamar is cause he wrote an entire fucking album about it.
>>
>>86739387

>typos

You're literally botching writing actual coherent sentences. What point are you even attempting to make with your broken English?
>>
>>86739334
>I'm legally white
So do you have a white man card?
>>
>>86739462
Name one thing wrong.
>>
>>86739102
What are some of the non-white references?
>>
>>86739472

Good job on not addressing a single point I made. You should have just told me you were retarded in your first post so I wouldn't have wasted my time trying to explain social dynamics to you.
>>
>>86738759

>Black-on-Black crime is a stale concern

So I guess they just want to act like it doesn't exist so it just goes away ?
>>
>>86739131
So why are they blaming a character for being too conservative?
>>
>>86739479

That Cage isn't an Uncle Tom.
>>
>>86739518
Of course not. He is a Luke.
>>
>>86739518
And why do you think that wrong opinion.
>>
I feel like the South Park Stan/Token "You don't get it" is applicable here
>>
>>86739486
Stop trying to steal their culture, senpai.
>>
>>86739318
you do realize that most black people don't sell drugs right?
>>
>>86739491
You are so white it hurts. I bet you live in a suburb somewhere and think all black people are like the ones you interacted with. I grew up in Stl motherfucker I think I know what kinda of adversity the black youth faces in the streets every day. Motherfuckers constantly trying to get you to quit school and sell drugs, getting your assed jumped cause you wont go around with them breaking windows outta peoples cars and shit. You sould fucking dumb as hell.
>>
>>86739432

Did I fucking say that? No. All I was saying is that good fiction, the stories that stand the test of time and scrutiny, exist because they offer one person's insights on life and how it is.

But at no point should it ever be an author's job to tell you how life SHOULD be. That's the domain of politicians and Youtubers who rant about "this must be like this" or some shit.
>>
>>86739179
>>86739256
It's overstated. What IS true is that in america, the you aren't seen as "authentic" if you have no street connection.

Just being in Brooklyn is enough, because of it's previous rep, even if you be bougie as fuck argyle sweater wearing carlton.
>>
>>86739539
Shit, that's still in place?
>>
>>86739498
This. how fucking stupid.
>>
>>86739540
Kek yeah I'm sure in great community's they dont. Harlem and the setting in Luke Cage is not that.
>>
>>86739550
>You are SOOOOO white
Reddit is too good for you. Fuck off to Buzzfeed.
>>
>>86739533

Well the only white people he deals with in the show are a corrupt guard who he hates and a scientist whose lab he trashes
>>
>>86739161

There's no excuse for being in gangs if you need a family. It seems like basic logic that shooting people and dealing drugs is bad. There are more productive ways to feel loved.

>>86739063

I don't know who he is. I follow DC and Archie, not Marvel. He sounds cool but I don't like live action cape.
>>
>>86739474
You don't know what it's like to live on the streets and are a supreme faggot for pretending to know what life is like for people who do and getting so booty blasted at someone having typos on an iPhone. You've shown yourself to be completely insufferable. Thanks.
>>
>>86739587
You SOOOOOOOOOOOOO did not just go there
>>
>>86739550
>You sould fucking dumb as hell.
Is English your third language?
>>
>>86739498
The idea is that black on black crime exists primarily as a function of white on black oppression, and when the latter is removed the former will go away. In this view, trying to deal with black on black crime specifically is treating a symptom, not curing the disease, and an attempt by the people in power to avoid responsibility.
>>
>>86739536
pretty much
>>
>>86739590
Please stop taking the obvious fucking bait, dude. Holy shit.
>>
>>86739624

>Detroit's been run by blacks for decades
>from the political elite down to the enforcers of that political elite
>muh systemic racism argument

ayy lmao
>>
They had the actor who plays luke cage talk about trayvon martin and hoodies on npr
>>
sipping on gin and (You)s
>>
>>86739550

>You are so white

Lol never in a million years you moron. You sound like an old white guy who browses infowars.com all day and posts on /pol/
>>
>>86739395
It's better than Jessica Jones but if you have some issue with black people that will stop you from liking anything related to them, then that's your problem
>>
>>86739655
>trayvon martin

Wasn't that the kid who got shot by a Mexican?
>>
>>86739624
So if white people did not exist black people would exist in a crimeless Utopia? Because that's what it sounds like you are saying. Black on black crime will always exist.
>>
>>86739624
that's kind of a bizarre take. What suddenly skin color is gonna remove the desire of the lazy, vicious, and cruel to prey on the weak? You hear about black criminal syndicates in america getting broken up by the mafia or whatever but in that case its because they had a gambling, prostitution, extortion or whatever racket and a bigger group wanted that money.

a criminal is a criminal regardless of their race, if they make money by violence or contraband they'll do that regardless of 'negative social pressures.'
>>
>>86739604

Oh so you never actually had anything of substance to state. Just incessant butthurt.
>>
>>86739672
Mexicans are white
>>
>>86739604
>You don't know what it's like to live on the street
Of course we don't, we're not black. Why would we want to?
>>
>>86739440
How is Luke Cage an Uncle Tom
>>
>>86739669
Alright, keep commenting on shit you know nothing about. Stop trying to speak for the community if you grew up in a stable house outside the city.
>>
>>86739462
>N-NO Y-YOU'RE WRONG REEEEE
>>
File: 1307453764357.jpg (42KB, 306x242px) Image search: [Google]
1307453764357.jpg
42KB, 306x242px
>>86739690

>Mexicans are white
>>
Clarification: I don't think Comics cage called people nigga, right? Not even in Max, but I do think he had a do'rag in Max in the 90's.

I mean, even early on, he's always been blacksploitation as fuck. But I've always seen him as sort of a "POSITIVE ROLE MODEL HAKEEM" working, getting paid, not taking shit or handouts from the man sort of way.

>>86739131
I thought they were edgy/contrarian/clickbaity.

>>86739637
Some people are just born suckers, I guess.
>>
>>86739706

I am completely clueless as to why you keep responding. You didn't address a single thing I said, you're just sperging out.

>Stop trying to spreak for the community

This is something a white person would say.
>>
>>86739680
And the Mexican got off free and even received a donation from Wal-Mart corp
>>
>>86739690
That's not really how nationality works
>>
>>86739690
Pfft. Next you'll be saying that Anglos are white too.
>>
>>86739718
I know right, it gets me every time too
>>
File: 167512.jpg (41KB, 300x397px) Image search: [Google]
167512.jpg
41KB, 300x397px
>Black-on-black crime is a stale concern
>mfw the Black-on-Black b8ing itt
>>
>>86739720
I don't see what a do'rag has to do with anything. It's just to make sure you hair doesn't mess up
>>
He's a bullet proof black man don't you guys see the DEEP commentary here?
>>
File: 1471658720611.jpg (148KB, 736x536px) Image search: [Google]
1471658720611.jpg
148KB, 736x536px
>Blacks want to be violent, ignorant, and kill people
>This is their culture!
>Blacks want to be smart, respectable, and not poor as shit
>This is racist!

When did the world go so wrong? I'd swear /pol/ was right. This setup sounds like something you concoct to get a race of people to oppress themselves.
>>
>>86739743

Like they got Trayvon
>>
>>86739731
Naw its just I'm sick of dumbasses like you whos parents supported them their whole life and they didnt have to work for shit thinking there isn't an issue with black culture with shaming us for trying to escape it. Again I suggest you listen to some Kendrick Lamar if you seriously think its just something I'm fucking making up. Get outta your bubble.
>>
>>86739063
it was good. OP's article is some self rightous bitch who doesn't know shit about shit.

also
>tfw /co/ used to be predominantly non-white 20 something males

the good 'ol days
>>
>>86739774

So never?
>>
>>86739761
Ding ding ding
You got it
>>
>>86739771

>I suggest you listen to some Kendrick Lamar

Lol oh wow, I bet if I asked you to post a timestamp of your skin it'd put Edward Cullen to shame.
>>
>>86739761
>This setup sounds like something you concoct to get a race of people to oppress themselves.
That's pretty much it yeah.
>>
>>86739134
>Be black
>Be skateboarder
>Be nicknamed OREO and Wyte Boi
>Get asked "Y u wanna b wyte doe?" daily
fuck you
>>
>>86739761
>I'd swear /pol/ was right.

Only stupid people say stupid things like this. Are you a stupid person?
>>
>>86739689
>"n-no you're butthurt "
Wow anon you sure told me. Keep on rappin about your knowledge of the streets my nig: teach these jive turkeys what being urban is all about.
>>
>>86739823
Anon who knows nothing about music, why does listening to Kendrick Lamar make you white?
>>
>>86739843

I'm still waiting on you to say something of actual substance other than sperging out. One last chance.

>my nig

It's cringeworthy how hard you're trying to be black online.
>>
What the merciful fuck is "respectability politics"?
>>
>>86739823
>he thinks you are white if you like Kendrick

Literally what.
>>
>>86739858

You sound like you live in a country in Europe and don't have a clue what you're talking about other than what you read on /pol/
>>
>>86739499
Looks like they're criticizing another site's article.
>>
>>86739856
>>86739881

How about that timestamp of your skin?
>>
>>86739867

>It's cringeworthy how hard you're trying to be black online.

lel Says the honky telling actual black people what being black and from the streets is really like
>>
>>86739825
Move up north
Its too late for anyone that says things like that. They aren't able to be introspective
>>
>>86739902
What? I am seriously just asking why listening to him makes you white? Is it a stereotype? Is he like some safe rapper or something because he is clean or some shit?
>>
>>86739916

>honky

Holy crap, let's see how far you can take this.
>>
>>86739949

You wouldn't understand my man.
>>
>>86739875
A buzzphrase that's sure to circle through tumblr
>>
>>86739753
But Cage didn't have any hair at the time. It was purely there as a fashion accessory.
>>
>>86739885
sounds pretty anti-/pol/
>>
Hello. I am African-American.
>>
>>86739963
Well okay then.
>>
>the one black guy who thinks that he grew up in a nice home so black people shaming each other for "acting white" don't exist

Just stop man. No one gives a shit what your life experiences in your little town in KY have taught you.
>>
>>86739875
It's basically "Hide any evidence of black culture and act as white as possible, that's how we get the white people to stop being racist"

>>86739965
it's been around since the early 90s
>>
>>86739347
Well, acting respectable does go a long way in getting others to respect you.
>>
>>86739997
>black people shaming each other for "acting white" don't exist

It would do you some good to actually learn how to read.
>>
>>86740003
Black culture is acting like a violent retard?
>>
*teaches you how to dougie*

>>86740013
yo, only by honky standards, nigga

>>86739997
tru dat, yo
>>
>>86738759

>whether or not tailored clothing is the measure of a man’s self-respect

What? This literally never happened. He asks for XXL hoodies because he a fuckhuge dude. He wore a tailored suit once because it was for a fucking funeral. No where ever does he judge people'd worth for not dressing a certain way.
>>
>>86740062
Comics Cage on the other hand, comments a few times on how expensive his bright yellow tailored XXXL silk shirts are and wore a Tiara and a big ass chain around his waist.

I don't think he's ever judged anyone for what they wear, but he's one step of going full Kanye with that outfit.
>>
>>86739973

Hello my fellow negro. I sure do like suits and having a relationship with my father
>>
>>86740013
Yeah, but you still have to respect people as human beings, regardless of whether or not they're "respectable". It's more a reaction to the way a lot of people gloss over the murder or abuse or black men because "Oh, well his pants are ridiculously low-slung in the photo on the news so I don't care that he died, he probably had it coming". That sort of shit. Human life is a big fucking deal and doesn't deserve to be dismissed just because you disapprove of their shitty culture. Inversely, if some white hillbilly kid goes missing, most people don't go "el-mayo, that's what you get for living in the woods you dumb rednecks XD"
>>
>>86739969

There's nothing anti-/pol/ about some retard literally parroting /pol/ opinions word for word.
>>
>>86740041
Black culture is acting like a violent retard?
Going to jump in to this argument.

Personally, I have no issue with people defining their culture as one of glorifying violence and ignorance. If that's what they want then they have the freedom to choose it. I also believe a culture does not deserve respect merely for the fact it exists. A culture can be considered shitty and unworthy of respect or tolerance by your own metrics, whatever they are.
>>
>>86740130
What. White people fucking hate white trailer trash. Wed burn them all and build condos on their lots if society would let us.
>>
>>86740130
>drinking the kool aid this hard
People braying about "respectability politics" only use it as a bludgeon. They claim that they are not beholden to act respectably and can thus shout at you and insult you and make no salient points in a discussion and you, as an evil oppressor, have to sit there and take it and never get fed up and leave. It's a garbage concept used by garbage people in service of garbage politics
>>
File: google_labs.jpg (67KB, 500x476px) Image search: [Google]
google_labs.jpg
67KB, 500x476px
>>86738759
Was not planning on watching, this turned me around. I'm on bored
>>
>>86739967
That's just marketing. Thug culture was in in the early 2000's. Just like wonder woman's newfound lesbianism
>>
>>86740130
>Yeah, but you still have to respect people as human beings, regardless of whether or not they're "respectable". It's more a reaction to the way a lot of people gloss over the murder or abuse or black men because "Oh, well his pants are ridiculously low-slung in the photo on the news so I don't care that he died, he probably had it coming". That sort of shit.

That sort of thing isn't unique to black people. It happens to redneck trash all the time. If you see Billy ray toothless smile and mullet on the news and find out he was fucked up by the police you aren't surprised and you don't care
>>
>>86740194
>newfound
>>
>>86739331
kill yourself
>>
>>86738759

Fuck 'em. The black community as a whole deals both with unnecessary violence from police but also from other blacks. That's simply the facts.

Yeah, it sucks that black people are more likely to get sent to jail for the exact same crime as compared to whites, and that they're likely to get much harsher sentences, AND LUKE CAGE DIRECTLY ADDRESSES THAT THROUGH HIS ORIGIN OF BEING FALSELY CONVICTED. But that doesn't mean that black guys can't graduate from high school in greater numbers! Yeah, life can suck more than usual if you're a minority, but getting a high school degree isn't going to HURT things.

And as a black guy, I LOVED the fact that Luke didn't want to be called a "nigger". I hate that "nigger" or "nigga" has become normalized within the black community. For an article to criticize Luke Cage on that is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>86740130
>"el-mayo, that's what you get for living in the woods you dumb rednecks XD"

lol yes we do
>>
>>86740130
I bet you believe in tone policing too, you faggot retard
>>
>>86740220

Another retard without an argument joins the mix. Welcome.
>>
>>86739973
Are you really though? When have you even been to Africa? Doesn't it get confusing when a white person born in Africa comes to the states and is rightfully labeled African American?
>>
>>86740167
again, what's /pol/ about it
>>
>>86739774

lol what, I've been here for almost 6 years and this was never true.

Why are we even bringing this up, the whole POINT of an anonymous image board is that its the content and ideas that matter, not race or names or any of that shit

just kys faggot
>>
>>86740222
Exactly. The problem is evident in this very thread by sheltered black people that think this isn't an issue.
>>
>>86739841
>ignoring the rest of his post

stop being so triggered, /pol/ has many shades of thought, not just the outrageous meme shit that spills out of it.
>>
>>86740254
thank you for not using the b-word, but I'd prefer it if you refrained from raping me further, you cultural appropriation apologist
>>
People are hating on Mike for having a white wife, now.
>>
>>86740222
>. I hate that "nigger" or "nigga" has become normalized within the black community.

Negro please
>>
>>86739921
>its too late for them

lol no it isnt, they'll still live a full life you dumb ass
>>
>>86740003
No. Black culture is fine, but it's obvious that there are negative parts of it which the show brings to light
>>
>>86740254
A white person born in Africa that moves to America is African. Their child is African-American
>>
>>86740303

>the rest of his post

You mean the rest of the diarrhea he spewed?
>>
>>86740239
kill

your

self
>>
>>86740330
>i'm not gunna address it because i disagree with it
>>
>>86740282
>lol what, I've been here for almost 6 years and this was never true.
So you missed out on the first four years. I'm not that anon, but he's right - there used to be a lot more diversity on /co/. Hell, I'm pretty sure we have less femanons now than back then too.
>>
>>86740335

Lol this sperg is revved up to full capacity. Quit giving me free (you)'s then follow your own advice.
>>
>>86740254
No, his parent(s) were.
>>
>All these deleted posts even when "nigger" was used contextually
>>
>>86740349
sure there was a lot of diversity, but dont pretend like it was predominately non-whites, or that it was majority ANYTHING.

Way back during Hope Corgi no one even mentioned race except outside of the jabs at eurofags
>>
>>86740348

There is nothing to address. If stupid people want to keep being stupid then that's their prerogative.
>>
>>86740354
kys

your whole argument is "YOU SOUND WHITE SO FUCK WHAT UR SAYING!!!!"

thats it

kill

your
self
>>
>>86740389
>"YOU SOUND WHITE SO FUCK WHAT UR SAYING!!!!"
just like Cage
>>
>>86739134

Black kids in middle school gave me shit because I didn't talk "street" and that most of my friends were white. Never mind the fact that they made fun of me to my face and I knew they talked shit about me behind my back.

Of course, it depends of what crowd you run in. Get to a group of college educated blacks, guys or girls, and it's all about getting a high paying job from a great company.
>>
she wants a man from brum
>>
>>86740318
A full life blissfully ignorant
>>
>>86739063
Really enjoyed it. Liked cottonmouth but diamondback was over the top as fuck types of fun
>>
>>86740389
>your whole argument is "YOU SOUND WHITE SO FUCK WHAT UR SAYING!!!!"

You might have aspergers. My argument is you don't know what the fuck you are talking about cause you're over-simplifying a complicated problem that you have no understanding or clue about, most likely cause you're white and think that most people willingly go into crime cause it's what the

I mean the show itself addreses this theme by showing that cottonmouth himself had dreams of being a musician but external pressures dragged him into the crime business while mariah got shipped off to a better school.

I don't expect anything intelligent from an actual certified moron like you but I've got nothing better to do for the next hour or so waiting for the flash, so I'll more than gladly call stupid idiots like you stupid idiots for not being able to read simple text.
>>
But what's with the Cafe Bustello swear jar though
>>
>>86739600
>There are more productive ways to feel loved.

Honestly, if you have NO other male figures in your life, you will probably gravitate to the first powerful and nice male figures in your life, especially at a young age where you're looking for role models. My dad died a few years back and he was a great father and I miss him like crazy and I catch myself subconsciously looking for a new male role model sometimes.
>>
>>86740404

>I got bullied in middle school just like everyone else on earth, therefore this means this is proof that "black culture" wants people to be criminals.

Wow really sorry you got bullied all those years ago man, most of us have moved on from that stuff.
>>
>>86739134
>>86739825

My little sister got called an Oreo by other black kids because she got good grades. I AM NOT MAKING THIS SHIT UP, IT'S FUCKING RIDICULOUS. I mean, what does it say about them that they associated getting good grades with being "white"? Systemic racism has hurt and continues to hurt the black community in a ton of different ways, but....come on.
>>
You should be thankful you're not native-american desu
>>
>>86740403
I don't think Cage ever said anything like that

>>86740478
I wasn't even the main anon you were replying to, but you are retarded. You have no idea if the guy you were arguing with is white, and when he said he was indeed a minority that sold drugs you just went "NO YOU AREN'T"

He was literally just sharing his experience (which other anons have pointed out is mirrored in Kendrick Lamar's album, and you even admitted is IN Luke Cage) that when you try to go legit, the culture of inner city blacks shuns them.

No one is saying this is ALWAYS the case but you, stop being so close minded, let people share their experiences, and kys.
>>
>>86740491

I assumed it was because of the kids that came around.
>>
>>86740570

>I got bullied when I was a kid (just like most kids out there) so this is proof of the reality

If your basis on reality is what middle school kids think then you've got some serious problems.
>>
>>86740518
He isn't saying that.
What he's saying is that the negatives of black culture don't allow people to view each other as anything besides what the media promotes them as. Because on TV, at least when most of us were growing up, implied that to be black you have to be cool, thuggish, and speak in slang and ebonics.
That is a part of black culture but it doesn't account for the entirety of black culture. Its barely 10%
>>
>>86740613
How sheltered are you
>>
>>86740597
Kids shouldn't have their entire indentity challenged just because they get good grades. The greater issue here is that those kids think that being black means getting bad grades.
Its a joke
>>
>>86740570
>Systemic racism
Out of curiosity, which system? Which system and which elements of that system are explicitly racist?
>>
>>86740642
great argument m80, you really showed him!
>>
>>86740642
How black are you?
>>
>>86740597
>>86740642
>h-how dare he share his personal experience that goes against my worldview!!!!!
>>
>>86740312

I'm serious.

I've just never really liked it because it's such an ugly word with such an ugly history. White people lynched us and enslaved us because we were only "niggers", not humans. Jews don't go around calling each other "kikes" and Latinos don't call each other "Spics" and Arabs don't go around calling each other "ragheads". But here we are.

I'm not going to lecture people if I hear them using it, because it's not really my business. But I won't use it.
>>
>>86740595
I just found it odd that it was that psecific coffee brand. Like, I have never seen a single person in my life purchase a can of it, and yet there it is.
>>
>>86740591

>I wasn't even the main anon you were replying to.

Sure you're not...

>You have no idea if the guy you were arguing with is white

I didn't say he was, I just said he sounded like one. Again, that reading comprehension would do most of you a lot of good.

>he was indeed a minority that sold drugs

Yeah and I'm a Nigerian prince with a huge fortune to give out, you interested?

>Kendrick Lamar mention again

Lmao

>Still not getting the point

He wasn't sharing his experience, he was throwing a blanket statement that I see all too often white people on /pol/ and other crevices of this site love to pull out, that being, that black culture advocates people being criminals as a hivemind, and I was shutting that shit down, sorry if I was being way too real for you dumbass.

>kys

Like I said, Quit giving me free (you)'s then follow your own advice
>>
When is based Turk gonna get his own show and his rise to Stiltman?
>>
>>86740650
>The greater issue here is that those kids think that being black means getting bad grades

You seriously have a really wonky perception of reality.
>>
>>86740703
>I don't believe this black person because he disagrees with my worldview

okay you racist, have fun voting for trump
>>
>>86740736
but thats actually what happened, why dont you believe this black person? Why are you being so racist?
>>
File: who.jpg (148KB, 1296x730px) Image search: [Google]
who.jpg
148KB, 1296x730px
What was his endgame /co/?
>>
>>86740680

I don't use it either but I've come to accept that it won't go away. Some pimple faced little white teenager will always think it's cool to use online and if you show that you're not phased by it, it loses its sting.

I think it's a funny word when used in context among other brothers.
>>
>>86740758
being handsome :3
>>
>>86740758
fucking black women
>>
>>86740743

>this black person

I asked "this black person" to prove he was black and he bailed (it's probably still you trying to masquerade as a new poster cause your initial approach back-fired hard)

>Disagrees with my worldview

Lol moron, you got no argument at all.
>>
>>86740703
as a black person I find you to be incredibly racist
>>
>>86740736
How? He clearly says that his sister is getting called an Oreo for getting good grades, meaning that these kids think that to be black is to get bad grades. Did you even experience anything like that as a child?

Oreo implies that you're only black on the outside by the way, in case you didn't know.
>>
>>86740813
>people have to PROVE their blackness to me!!!

jesus, how much more racist can you get. I bet black people have to be a certain shade of black dont they?
>>
>>86740752

>I got bullied in middle-school for getting good grades, why is black culture so oppressive? ;_;

Are you still mentally in middle school?
>>
>>86740680
They have other terms for what they feel is descent within their group. They don't call other whites "rednecks" for no reason. I've heard some latino anons claim that latinos hate other latinos anyway.
>>
>>86740823
>>86740838

Lol you polturds have completely flown off the rails. It's hilarious how much you can never articulate yourselves out of buzzwords and meme-posting.
>>
>>86740830
I think he's implying that its less being black=bad grades but more being black=putting in the bare minimum
>>
>>86740839
do you know what it means to be called an oreo? Its not just being bullied, its specifically being called "white" for getting good grades. The fact that KIDS think this is even worse!

your inability to sympathize with oppressed people because of the color of their oppressors shows how racist you are
>>
>>86740860
>black people are saying they find you racist
>must be /pol/!!!

wew lad
>>
>>86740838

When I was a freshman in high school, a big fat white guy called me a nigger and all his friends chuckled with him and the school administration didn't do anything to him, and I've had to live with that all my life.

Why is white culture so mean and oppressive? ;_;
>>
File: 1470170438806.gif (91KB, 322x324px) Image search: [Google]
1470170438806.gif
91KB, 322x324px
>>86740839
It would happen through highschool but most of the class drops out by that point
>>
>>86740721
After shades gets his own show
>>
>>86740597
>If your basis on reality is what middle school kids think then you've got some serious problems.

I've long moved on since that point. My only point is that in regards to the people on this board who think that it's just white guys making it up that some black people will react negatively to another black person, who goes against the grain, even if it's in a positive way, it's not a myth. SOME, not all, black people actually do have that mentality of if you're talking proper English or you get good grades or you like to read or you wear different clothes, then you're trying to be "white" or you're ashamed of being black. It's really unfortunate, but it does happen, I've lived it, I've seen it.

Junot Diaz has it right (though a little exaggerated) when he says: “You really want to know what being an X-Man feels like? Just be a smart bookish boy of color in a contemporary U.S. ghetto. Mamma mia! Like having bat wings or a pair of tentacles growing out of your chest.”
>>
>>86740839
Kids are more often than not a projection of their parents.
>>
>People bragging about growing up "inda hood"
>People ITT fighting about who's more black like it's a good thing
>>
>>86740867
It's still a problem
>>
>>86740905
yeah that guy comes from an oppressive culture, he should have been punished for that.

Im glad we established that there can be oppressive cultures across all races
>>
>>86740928
>I've long moved on since that point.

You clearly still haven't if you're bringing it up all these years later.

>Black people react negatively to another black person

Nowhere did I say that this didn't happen dumbo.

> SOME, not all, black people actually do have that mentality of if you're talking proper English or you get good grades or you like to read or you wear different clothes,

I just love how you are treating this as an exclusively black people thing, as if white/asian/latino kids never partake in bullying of their own.

It's so funny that you have to go all the way back to middle school, (seriously who wasn't bullied at all in school?) to try and justify a complex social-economic system.
>>
>>86740954
I wasn't trying to imply that it was. I agree it's still an issue, I was just trying to clarify.
>>
>>86740928
>Bat wings or tentacles out of the chest
This sounds cool. Any comics about this girl?
>>
>>86740642
>Having no argument
>Getting BTFO this hard
How embarrassing.
>>
>mfw people act like black-on-black crime is so special when every race is in danger of getting killed by their own

If you're white, you're more likely than a killed by another white person than Tyrone McGangbanger. That black-on-black crime is treated like something special is genuinely racist.

Also, the article writer is entitled to his opinions, but his opinions are kind of silly. Luke Cage is a man who initially wants to be left alone, plus he isn't even from Harlem.

>There is no stark philosophical contrast between villain and hero. Stokes loses $2 million, and he’s mad. That’s the extent of Stokes’s entanglement with Cage; there is no greater meaning or purpose to their conflict.

Did this dude even watch the show? Cage only robbed Stoakes in order to take revenge for Pops' death; there is no philosophical battle because there isn't supposed to be one. If Pops had never been murdered, Luke Cage would still be isolating himself. While Pop's death does bring Cage out of his shell, he is still wrestling more with his personal demons than he is actually fighting to protect Harlem. Protecting Harlem is more of a tertiary consequence of his protecting himself and those dear to him.
>>
File: nerd shoved in a locker.jpg (67KB, 498x357px) Image search: [Google]
nerd shoved in a locker.jpg
67KB, 498x357px
>>86739112
>>86739179
>>86739134
>>86739318
>>86740570
Black kids getting bullied/called white for getting good grades is certainly a thing (to an extent) but /pol/ types exaggerate to make it seem like it's the overwhelmingly dominant trait of black culture.

You also have to remember that ostracizing/bullying kids who get good grades and/or people who try to advance their socioeconomic status isn't exclusive to black people. Plenty of white kids pick on other white kids for getting good grades and plenty of white trailer trash have crabs-in-a-bucket mentality.

It's just that like most bad things. When other people do it it's just a thing that happens, but when black people do it, people make it "our" thing.
>>
Who the fuck cares about what some people on some random internet website thinks anyways.
>>
>>86741285

Spot on. Good post.

>>86741300

This too.
>>
>>86740985
>if they ever bring it up ever again that means they haven't moved on
>so rape victims can never talk about their experience if they've moved on
>can never talk about past partners if you've moved on

wew lad kys
>>
>>86739063
Loved it
Only recommend to certain white friends though
>>
>>86740853
"redneck" is in no fucking way close to the word nigger.

>I've heard some latino anons claim that latinos hate other latinos anyway.

Well I'm actually Latino and the only person I've heard say this was my dumbass cousin living in puerto rico back when he was in middle school. I'm college educated and my family is pretty well off but I'd say in my experience that that's not true. If anything there's more camaraderie among latinos regardless of what kind of latino you are. People who spread that shit about hating other Latinos are just looking for excuses to be faggots.
>>
>>86741350

Still giving me free (you)'s cronie?
>>
>>86739169
You still working at Pizza Pizza?
>>
>>86740673
I'm a high yellow, but I speak the king's English, and ballroom dance. So two steps below Sinbad the comedian.
>>
>>86740570
>My little sister got called an Oreo by other black kids because she got good grades.

My god, they aren't even smart enough to realize that getting good grades is more of an Asian thing.
>>
File: more jobs than a jamaican.png (118KB, 398x283px) Image search: [Google]
more jobs than a jamaican.png
118KB, 398x283px
>>86741528

ion even know why you still talkin' nigga,

literally got nothing to say still other than memeposting, complaining about tumblr, "kys", and buzzwords.
>>
>>86740758
Getting a new pair of sunglasses with death ray beams?

Hanging out with Comanche, the Racist Black Hawkeye?
>>
>>86738943
He doesn't have to. Apparently white people are bitching about how the show is racist for not having enough white people in it.
>>
I've seen black women complaining that Luke Cage's love interests (Claire, Misty, and Reva) weren't dark-skinned or fat enough.

Whatever, I liked the show.
>>
File: 1475015555001.gif (2MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1475015555001.gif
2MB, 300x300px
>>86739761
Pretty much. A lot of the ghettoish cities like Detroit or Baltimore are Democrat run.

Let's not forget Big Johnson saying he'd have "those niggers voting democrat for 200 years".
>>
>>86740130

>Inversely, if some white hillbilly kid goes missing, most people don't go "el-mayo, that's what you get for living in the woods you dumb rednecks XD"

Objectively wrong. Rednecks are pretty much maligned by every-fucking-body, including whites.
>>
>>86739143
this is why i don't respect black people
>>
after reading this thread i wish slavery was still a thing.
>>
>>86742421

That's not a black-exclusive opinion, that's an /m/ opinion.
>>
>>86739257
Yes, white canines.
Thread posts: 300
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.