[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what degrees do you need to get a job in animation? specifically

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

what degrees do you need to get a job in animation? specifically story boarding. is it possible to get into the field th just community college? what about online?
>>
art careers are more about prestige and connections than raw talent.
>>
>>86644720
This.

Also having a decent work ethic when it comes to art.
>>
>>86644689

B.A. in film? Film students at my university work on both live-action and animated films.
>>
>>86644720
>>86644734

i was planning on going to school regardless just for the sake of learning and Vine myself. other than that im at a loss of how to get my foot in the door
>>
>>86644689
In any creative career it's not about your degree, it's about your projects. You need an impressive portfolio and you need to be working on personal projects to put out into the world for people to consume.
>>
>>86644789
>im at a loss of how to get my foot in the door
go to conventions, go to studios, make your own website for your stuff, put your things on all the various media sites, go to animation and such websites and ask for critiques.

your job depends on how good your stuff is and if you can get it into the hands of people who want to hire you.
>>
>>86644789
be social.
If you're a girl, work the tools god gave you.
>>
>>86644828
>>86644838
gotcha. that makes a lot of sense and sounds way less intimidating now that i have an idea of what to do. thank you guys!
>>
If you're shooting for Disney, bachelor's. Otherwise, just a good portfolio should do, so I'm told at least.
>>
>>86647094
personally i feel like i could benefit a lot from going to school just to make sure my skills are sharp. ive been slacking lately and im really wanting to buckle down and i think the deadlines and shit they give you for assignments would do me good. not shooting for disney or anything specifically but hey itd be cool if i could right?
>>
>>86647416
You do you, mate. I enjoyed school, but one year out and I still don't have an art-related job (came close, though). Just remember that school doesn't last forever.
>>
These days it's trendy for modern cartoons to pull new talent off the internet. They occasionally do open submissions. That's probably your best bet.
>>
>>86644689
As someone in the field, go to animation school, it's a trade school, you can get a job in your field after if you're okay at what you're doing.

OR for board driven shows you can learn how to tell stories and it helps if you do comics (or anything visual and creative), and if the stuff is noticed by people on the show, is appealing to the people making the shows, and if you're likable, you could get a storyboard application test.

I have a job I love but I did a lot of junk for a lot of years before anything clicked.
>>
You can potentially get jobs just by having good enough work. Lots of industry pros never attended college.
However they were also born and raised in or around hollywood which is the only place in America with studios nowadays

It seems the only way to break into the business now without having some kind of connection to someone else in the business is to snag an internship, which of course requires either being an active student or within six months after graduating, and you usually have to be in the area for that shit. I've really only seen them specify the type of degree you need in graphic design or marketing related jobs, where they like seeing bachelors degrees with those majors

Keep in mind even "big" studios like CN usually only have 500 employees at most and the jobs of artists are extremely competitive to the point of being very unstable
>>
>>86649405
But also making a comic or whatever in order to get an animation job is way gross, don't do that.
>>
>>86649579
man honestly id be cool with any art related job. cartoons and comics are the shit to me and it would be amazing to be able to make a living doing what i love. im not like dead set on one thing so if it verged a different way i would be pretty content
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.