[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>How do you deal with people who tell you you've rui

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: index.jpg (4KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 299x168px
>How do you deal with people who tell you you've ruined a character in xyzabc story? Is there such thing as "ruining" a character in the world of serialized comic books?

>ten years ago, everyone was screaming that the original civil war ruined tony stark. RUINED him! RUINED!!

>except it did not. his movies are huge hits and his character is intact. one could argue, civil war revealed sides to him, flavors, that had not been explored yet and made him even more interesting! he was pushed to make choices and to live with those choices.

>that’s what characters are for. that’s what writing is for. to explore, to push, to ‘go there’ and see what comes out.

>this ‘teddy bear’ mentality where nothing bad is allowed to happen to certain characters is going to be the literary death of them. i see it in some creator owned comics too. either the authors or readers love a character so much no one is allowing anything to happen to them. ‘my character is beautiful and nothing bad should ever happen to them.’ ‘they should not say or do anything i don’t like…’ is not healthy for the characters, for any characters.

>with no drama you’ll just get bored, the characters will be boring. life is full of challenges and characters need to explore them or, honestly, what is the point?

>i know some will disagree and i know some saw a panel or heard that something is happening to someone but read the stories, take in the ideas, or wait to the entire story is told and see what the fall out is…

>but no one is actively looking to ruin anything. we love these characters so so so much. we love them so much we look for the most interesting place to put them, to challenge them, to let them fuck up or get knocked down… so we can see how they pick themselves up again.

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/151115526527/how-do-you-deal-with-people-who-tell-you-youve
>>
>>86625238
except it did not. his movies are huge hits and his character is intact
That's because the movies made him unlikable while the comics made him a cunt. And because the movies fixed Tony, Marvel had to backpeddle and tried to fix Tony.

It's because of shit like Civil War and House of M that for the longest time, Marvel head writers tried not to make characters like hitler that they own the rights to.
>>
>>86625238
I agree with everything he's said except for the part where it absolves him of all the horrible shit he's done to characters over the years.

This guy invented drive-by homosexuality.
>>
I agree with him in theory, that shit has to happen to characters to tell a story. SJWs are the ones that constantly whine about any character ever daring to be "problematic" and condemning an entire work over it. Conflict is necessary.

I still think he ruined the fuck out of characters, though.
>>
I maintain that had it not been for the RDJ movies, Iron Man would have become a permanent villain after Civil War in the same way Cyclops has.
>>
>>86625238
>>this ‘teddy bear’ mentality where nothing bad is allowed to happen to certain characters is going to be the literary death of them.

Yeah, try that with any of the current "progressive" Marvel characters and see what happens.
>>
File: 1454740216588.gif (2MB, 360x227px) Image search: [Google]
1454740216588.gif
2MB, 360x227px
>>86625468
>drive-by homosexuality
>>
>>86625238
>we love these characters so so so much.
What a fucking liar.
>>
>>86625522
Nah, they had him mindwipe the earth of his secret Idenity. They were going to have him return to his old status quo. Them RDJ said "I am Iron Man" at the end of the movie and threw a curveball for them.
>>
File: 4555308-0515083244-super.jpg (118KB, 544x604px) Image search: [Google]
4555308-0515083244-super.jpg
118KB, 544x604px
>>86625522

Iron Man makes a great villain, let's be real here.
>>
>>86625553
Hell, anon. Not even Bendis would let you do anything to certain characters.

You think he would be happy if a writer wanted to have Kitty raped by her son from the future then give birth to said son?
>>
>>86625238
I understand what he's saying and I fully agree with him 100%

However, he doesn't realize that drama for the sake of drama doesn't grow or pushes characters and that's where he fails every single time. For example, in Guardians of the Galaxy he created the drama of Peter Quill becoming a King and leaving his previous outlaw life. That's good drama that pushes the character in a new direction that could be interesting to see where it takes him. The result: After we're told all the interesting development happened off-panel, and five issues where they barely focus on this change, he was back at the starting point. We never saw the new direction, we're only told it happened and the supposed 'changes' it brought to Peter's life are barely, if even, touched. In the end, Peter is just like he was before all of the King thing happened. Bendis failed at the very thing he preaches.

So yeah, it's nice that he has these awesome writing rules and that he shares them with everyone, but it would be nicer if he would use them once in a while.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.