[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I really likesd him in the animated series, how does he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (47KB, 620x320px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 620x320px
I really likesd him in the animated series, how does he fair in the comics?
>>
>>86289559
Badly, Hal Jordan is the only GL that is allowed to shine in the comics
>>
>>86289587
Well fuck
>>
File: Cosmic_Odyssey_TPB_Cover.jpg (412KB, 1100x1657px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmic_Odyssey_TPB_Cover.jpg
412KB, 1100x1657px
Hal Jordan best lantern. Accept no substitutes.

John has zero character outside of 'stern, stoic marine' in 99% of his appearances.

He's not worth it.

If you are gonna trudge through the tripe that is John Stewart, at least make sure you read cosmic odyssey, it's got a key John moment in there/

Comes up down the line at a few points.

Plus the comic itself isn't half bad.
>>
>>86289559

He was boring in the show, and he's boring in the comics. But hey he's black and that's enough for some people, and that's fine, but don't expect to find people wanting to discuss him or his stories.
>>
>>86289587
What about Guy Gardner?
>>
>>86289762
More to him than Kyle and John, for sure.

Though it's not hard to be better than Kyle.
>>
File: 250px-GLmosaicissue1.jpg (63KB, 250x382px) Image search: [Google]
250px-GLmosaicissue1.jpg
63KB, 250x382px
>>86289559
Best Stewart story is "Mosaic." Jones gives him a bit more character and personality in that, making him reflective and meditative, but also very affective and somewhat spontaneous. The comic also dwells on racial and cultural differences, both literally and through the metaphor of all the alien cultures Stewart is tasked with stewarding.

In his earliest appearances, Stewart was kinda just "black guy angry at the man." He was one of the first black characters in comics (not counting guys like The Spirit's pickaninny sidekick), so they were all a tad hamfisted back then and were like something out of a blaxpoitation film, but it wasn't out of malice on the writers' parts; they were earnestly trying to bring diversity to what was then a genre consisting pretty much of just white people. The early stories with John Stewart during the Lantern/Arrow days are still worth reading.

The cartoon influenced the comics, and the comics imported the "former marine" angle of the DCAU. IMO, they didn't write him as nuanced as he was in the DCAU, so while DCAU Stewart was still a compelling character with layers beneath his hard-nosed exterior, comics Stewart just became "tough-as-nails marine guy." Expect him to go on monologues about being a good soldier and shit he saw in the war and all that jazz. He has his moments, but they are kinda few and far between these days.

(Lol a kids cartoon was more sophisticated than material aimed at 45-year-olds.)
>>
>>86289762

Guy Gardner is the best
>>
>>86289762
>JLI books
>Johns GLC
>Recharge
>Warrior
>Justice League 3001
>Red Lanterns
>Guy Gardner Reborn
>Justice Riders
>>
File: 1473838198896.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1473838198896.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>86289811
Tied up on first place with Hal for me.
>>
File: credit.webm (2MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
credit.webm
2MB, 960x720px
>>86289559
>>
>>86289870
He's a credit to people who are half robot?
>>
>>86289762
either comic relief or the "edgy" Lantern for people that want "cool" and characters with an "attitude"
>>
>>86289870
Man I fucking love DCAU
>>
>>86289726
Blah blah tokenism. John is the everyman, the average Joe.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.