[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this Cartoon Network at their worst? Nothing else represents

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 263
Thread images: 45

File: Squirrelboypic.jpg (65KB, 165x200px) Image search: [Google]
Squirrelboypic.jpg
65KB, 165x200px
Is this Cartoon Network at their worst?
Nothing else represents Cartoon Network's dark age as well as Squirrel Boy.
I've always known it as a piece of trash but if any /co/mrade would like to enlighten me on a surprisingly good episode or joke, I'm all for it.
>>
The episode where andy is convinced to buy everything in bulk was pretty good in memory.
>>
Honestly I think this was on the same level of Camp Lazlo & My Gym Partner's A Monkey (forgettable but not offensively bad [like annoying orange for instance])

The big difference was Squirrel Boy was treated like it was going to be a flagship show so it seemed ever worse than something really terrible like The Cramp Twins.
>>
File: 140647059775.jpg (9KB, 200x196px) Image search: [Google]
140647059775.jpg
9KB, 200x196px
>>86007959
>Cartoon Network's dark age
Go back to facebook
>>
>>86008007
Out of all of them I think Camp Lazlo was the best. It was never bad and had a consistent quality even if it was milquetoast.
>>
>>86008007
It was a bulk of shows with no direction or general concept we got during the time
I mean describe SpongeBob, he lives in a pineapple under the sea, he is a cook at the Kristy mean, his friends are Patrick star, sandy and his neighbor and co-worker squidward who hates him.
Describe squirrel you, it's a squirrel that acts like a boy and lives with a family
Describe monkey school it's a kid who goes to a school with animals, also he is friends who is a monkey
Describe the cramp twins they are twins, one is normal the other a freak.
It's not hard to understand why they fail. Most of the episodes end up being centered around school because where would episodes take place? Kids = school right?
Ed Edd and Eddy had no school episodes during the good seasons
>>
>>86008146
It was made by rockos moder life creator and if you think about it you ccan tell the similarities
>>
>>86008187
I don't even remember what the school was like in EE&E
>>
>>86008210
you mean besides the artstyle and character design?
>>
>>86008007
This, I haven't enjoyed anything on CN since these three shows ended aside from whatever Ben 10 show they were probably milking.
>>
>>86008609
You didn't even like Regular Show when it first started?
>>
File: chowder_180x180.png (24KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
chowder_180x180.png
24KB, 180x180px
>>86008007
My Gym Partner's a strange show because I think it started off pretty obnoxious and crappy but got better as it went along by turning into a Seinfeldian comedy where every character is an asshole and nothing ever good happens. The writers just stopped giving a shit.

There's also a big difference between the content comparing the first season to the last. The first season suffered the problem of a lot of shows back then by being heavily regulated and not allowing anything to risque. Towards the end of the show, there are more adult jokes and you can tell that the network relaxed a little on what could and couldn't be in a kids show. This was around the same time that Chowder produced which I consider to be the show that revived CN.

Honestly, there's so much to say about that age in Cartoon Network, Gym Partner's role in the network easing up on the content watchdogs, and the debut of Chowder. I feel like I could write an essay about it.
>>
>>86007959
I wonder if eggman from /fa/ ever sued these guys for using his likeness
>>
>>86008867
Didn't flapjack come out first? Cause that was the show that definitely made CN into what it is now
>>
File: out-jimmys-head04.jpg (68KB, 271x330px) Image search: [Google]
out-jimmys-head04.jpg
68KB, 271x330px
>is this Cartoon Network at their worst?
No, this is.
Lest we forget.
>>
>>86008537
what do you mean by character design?
i remember the elephant kid being really similar to wilbur except less of a cunt and less angry, laslo was a lot like rocko, the moose was like ed.
It was a different show by all accounts but ver similar in style.
Squirrel boy was made by duckman creator and he really fucked up, i mean he went so far from duckman he had nothing
>>
>>86008867
Chowder & Flapjack aired during CN Real. They most certainly did not 'revive cartoon network'.
>>
>>86009024
Life-action shows that are aired on channels that are supposed to air animated shows are always something stupid.
>>
>>86009024
CN Real was a mistake
The fact that they sank a lot of money into that crap is the reason why they're only greenlighting quarter-hour slop now without caring about the actual quality thereof.
>>
>>86009024
Almost forgot about this one.
THIS. This was CN's lowest moment.
>>
>>86008867
My gym partner's a monkey is strange to me because I always see it get shit on here when at its worst I only thought it was a mediocre show. I even remember liking a few episodes.

While squirrel boy and the cramp twins I totally forgot even existed because of how terrible they were.
>>
>>86009075

Eh, I would argue Flapjack and Chowder kickstarted it. Despite being canceled, Flapjack heavily appealed to a lot of the 13-18 demo and showed there was a market for a show that was goofy enough for small children while also having humor that teenagers and young adults could find fun, and Chowder for a minute was extremely popular.

It wasn't until Adventure Time that they got that real magic though.
>>
Flapjack is easily cartoon networks best show.
>>
>>86009126
I consider the Flapjack/Chowder era to be CN coming out of that slump and then the debut of Adventure Time and Regular Show to be the revival.
>>
>>86008867
chowder was miles above that shit and is heavily underrated, i mean it was so interesting visually alone that you pretty much couldnt look at a single frame and find it boring (cof cof adventure time), it also was surreal enough not to make the world seem too implausible but still reminding you every second that its still completely insane.
Well i forgot my point because i like chowder a lot, i remember very little about gym partner but i do remember the episode were he was completely obsessed with slapping his but so we got constant gross butt close ups for ten miutes, its still a completely soulless show. I mean a cschool run by animals seems like a cool idea but you need more than that for a show, you said it yourself, no direction. Thats the problem all these shows have
>>
>>86009024
yes, absolutely
>>
>>86009137
If that's so then why was it cancelled and replaced with Adventure Time and Regular Show?
>>
Does anyone else feel like 2000-2002 were really mixed? We had high points like Samurai Jack, KND, and Maxwell Atoms shows, but also three of the most forgotten CN shows from what I've seen, Time Squad, Sheep in the Big City, and Robot Jones.
>>
>>86009001
i like chowder more than flapjack even tho they both shine in very similar ways so there isnt really an objective reason to pick one over the other.
I guess i liked chowders world better, it seemed more inviting and it screamed you are going to have a fun time to your face
>>
File: Willy Wonka.jpg (27KB, 324x278px) Image search: [Google]
Willy Wonka.jpg
27KB, 324x278px
>>86009148
>i remember very little about gym partner but i do remember the episode were he was completely obsessed with slapping his but so we got constant gross butt close ups for ten miutes,
>mfw that episode got pulled from syndication
>>
>>86009172
Time Squad was good, but I didn't care for Sheep in the Big City or Whatever Happened to Robot Jones.
>>
>>86009172
knd was a masterpiece, so was samurai jack but i find the way knd managed to turn from the villain of the week format into a very fleshed out world stunning. It blew my mind as a kid the same way it keeps blowing my mind now
>>
File: 196556586.jpg (75KB, 334x250px) Image search: [Google]
196556586.jpg
75KB, 334x250px
>>86008109
I see that you like many of our fine shows such as the secret saturdays.
>>
>>86009167
Because it didn't have 80's nostalgia or ~*deep lore*~ like those Regular Show or Adventure Time. But for just a straight up comedy it was the cream of the crop.
>>
>>86009183
i can relate. I saw that Flapjack was a great show but didnt like its style. Chowder was maximum comfy.
>>
>>86009198
no surprise there
t really should have been the last episode, if i had a show and found out it was getting cancelled i would do exatly that
>>
I'm still grounded with the idea that Uncle Grandpa is the bottom of the barrel. But since theirs other great shows on at the moment, I can't call it the dark age.
>>
File: 1401212191644.gif (972KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
1401212191644.gif
972KB, 400x302px
How many good series does an era need to have to be considered a golden age? Looking back at 90s CN, there are only really 5-6 shows that most people unanimously would agree are great.
>>
>>86009172
remember how the series finale of time squad portrayed ol W. Bush as a incompetent idiot. still have no clue how that was aired.
>>
>>86009250
uncle grandpa reminds me a lot of that failed show about monsters in a mountain that we got wich was absolute shit and fulled with gross ous humor.
To me they swampped ugly designs with random pictures and random shit alltogether, changed the plot a little bit and kept everything else
>>
>>86009283
Same creator, and Wikipedia says that Secret Mountain Fort Awesome was based on characters from the original Uncle Grandpa short.
>>
>>86009250
The real low point in CN's history was greenlighting Uncle Grandpa over 3 Dog Band from the Cartoonstitute shorts
>>
>>86009024
Stuart Snyder, man. He was like a mad scientist, testing what did and did not work for the channel.
>>
File: 9ba.jpg (223KB, 640x540px) Image search: [Google]
9ba.jpg
223KB, 640x540px
>that episode of MGPaM where Adam has his 'special' status removed
>his friends decide if anyone should eat Adam it should be them
>"That's okay. I'm used to you guys disappointing me."
>>
>>86009333
CN couldn't handle all that pachyderm booty
>>
>>86009243
Road Rovers sort of did something like that. They're last episode had a musical number with an almost swear in it
>>
>>86009333
Haven't seen or even heard of 3 Dog Band, so I might be talking out of my ass here, but why does UG always get so much hate on /co/?

Uncle Grandpa is the first kid's cartoon that has fucking cracked me up laughing. I know people jump to "It's just LOL SO RANDUMB XD bull shit" but it's like, LOL SO RANDUMB done right.
Idunno why, but it's just Goddamn hilarious to me, and I never understood the hate.
>>
File: 1401219771662.gif (194KB, 264x252px) Image search: [Google]
1401219771662.gif
194KB, 264x252px
>>86009508
Its not the worst thing ever. What I don't get is why so many people hate it when I always felt it had a lot of the same quirks that a lot of the le 90s shows get circlejerked for.
>>
File: image_0.png (69KB, 366x401px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.png
69KB, 366x401px
>>86009382
>"Hey, Nick and Disney make bank off of inexpensive preteen sitcoms and reality shows, why don't we try that?"
>puts out shit like Tower Prep and a fucking kids, Man vs. Wild-esque survival show (just fucking, why?)
The only barely passable live action CN show was Destroy Build Destroy, and that was powered solely by having a semi-original concept and the godlike power of Andrew W.K.
>>
>>86009148
Camp Lazlo was pretty good, imo.
>>
>>86009508
I think UG is going to age well on /co/. I've watched it a few times and it's about as entertaining as Flapjack but /co/ treats it like Gym Partner's
>>
>>86009552
context?
>>
>>86007959
Holy shit, this brings me back. I mostly remember that short episode where Rodney is treating Bob who has not only broken all the bones in his body but also suffers from a fever, this episode was often aired as sort of a bumper between other series. It was good for that I guess.
>>
>>86009552
I was pretty excited when it was finally greenlit since I really liked the pilot, but when I actually watched it it felt a bit bland.
>>
>>86009172
I've literally never met anyone who would remember that Sheep in the Big City even existed. I myself remember it barely.
>>
>>86009840
I had some kind of french regional edition of CN for a couple of years, and that cartoon was so bizzare that I can't forget it at all.
>>
>>86009840
I fucking love that show, haven't thought about it in a while though, seems really obscure for some reason.
>>
>>86009232
That show was average at worst anon.
>>
>>86009238
>Tfw you remember when adventure time was new and people called it a flapjack ripoff
>>
>>86007959
I vaguely remember liking it.
>>
>>86007959
Why did horvitz voice him?
>>
>>86009382
True, except Jim Staples was the one who said yes to Re-Animated, not Snyder.
>>
>>86009566
this
>>
>>86009075
AT, RS and by extension most of CN's contemporary lineup wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Chowder and Flapjack, not only because of staff that went on to do other things but because of their style. While dull stuff like My Gym Partner's a Monkey was going on these shows weren't afraid to be weird and even a little experimental.
>>
>>86009232
this show's the only show i can think of from that era that's truly bland and forgettable
>>
>that episode with like 6 straight minutes of them singing the same shitty song over and over again
I'D LIKE YOU TO LIKE MEEEEEE
>>
>>86007959
i just remember the joke
>"if my dad see that his trophy isn't there when he gets back..... he'll know its gone!"
and that still cracks me up
>>
>>86009508
UG is on some next level shit dude. UG is fucking omniscient
>>
File: Bojacks hands are cold.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Bojacks hands are cold.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
I remember towards the end of MGPaM, the show really doubled down on reminding Adam how screwed he was. There was one episode where he wanted to get ready for college and his friends mocked him for thinking he could get into any real universities after going to a school for animals.
>>
>>86009198
PRETTY PRETTY
>>
I'm 20. I feel mild nostalgia towards Mr Meaty, Catscratch, and other relatively average mid-2000s Nick cartoons.

I feel absolutely nothing but disdain for Squirrel Boy.

It was not appealing when I was a middle schooler. It's even less appealing as an adult. It makes that Crash Twins, or whatever it was, show look watchable. Mid-to-late 2000s CN was extremely horrible bar Toonami, Flapjack, Camp Lazlo, and Chowder.
>>
>>86012980

Oh, and MGPWAM. I also heard Class of 3000 was good but I could never get into it.
>>
>>86013004
Co3000's strength was the underplayed humour and music (of course, the music). I never loved it but it was extremely watchable.
>>
>>86009198
Whenever that show didn't focus on Jake, it was good.
>>
>>86009172
I unirronically loved Sheep in the city
>>
>>86013484
I don't see what's wrong with it, it was pretty fun.
>>
>>86009172
>Time Squad

That was some really good shit, almost Billy & Mandy level. I'm gonna rewatch some of the episodes now.
>>
>>86009172
SITBC was wonderfully absurdist and a prime example of a cartoon Network cartoon that you wouldn't see on Nick or Disney.
>>
>>86009256
I would say its mostly percentage. 90's CN might've only had 6 good shows, but they only made like 10 or 12 original shows int he 90's anyway.
>>
Some one please say me the year that the dark age begin and the year that finish?
>>
>>86008867
>>86009001

Chowder and Flapjack seem so forgotten now its almost depressing. Regular Show is going through that same spiral and adventure time, too. I think the big problem is people keep dumping these shows for anything that's more lore based with more action/drama. People are so starved for western action cartoons they want that out of the humor based stuff.
>>
>>86013824
I'd say 2005-2008
>>
>>86013824
2006 to 2010?
>>
>>86013894
What do you mean forgotten? In general/forgotten by CN/forgotten by /co/?
>>
>>86013824
It's starts in 2005 and ends either at 2008 or 2010. Flapjack and Chowder were going into 2008 but AT and RS debuted in 2010
>>
>>86013894
>I think the big problem is people keep dumping these shows for anything that's more lore based with more action/drama
No, /co/ is way too paranoid about this. The only lore/drama/action-based shows on CN's current lineup are AT and SU, and both have plenty of humor and episodic stuff. There are far less cartoons of that type today than there were in 2010.
>>
>>86014427
What even constitutes a "lore" show? I know Gravity Falls and Adventure Time definitely count but does anything with a plot and a bit of continuity count?
>>
File: ingrid smile.png (12KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ingrid smile.png
12KB, 400x300px
For those who enjoyed Camp Lazlo and MGPaM, how old were you?
>>
>>86009566
not really
it was better than the competition but still not great, you can tell rockos creator knew what he was doing and you could even take the show out of context and put it in the golden age and it would feel at home, not stand out in any way tho
>>
>>86015083
I'd say that Lazlo is a decent show with a good two dozens episodes that are legitimately great. If there's anything that needs to happen on /co/ it's the development of episode watching guides.
>>
>>86014427
>the only two lore heavy series are the two biggest series
>its all in your mind
>>
>>86015146
i think it suffers from everything that made squirrel boy bad while still retaining a lot of what made more classic shows great.
So it doesnt belong anywhere really, lazlos biggest accomplishment was being a breathe of fresh air in a shitty lineup
>>
>>86008187
>Describe Monkey School.
To be fair you are under describing this one.
>>
>>86008653
That was some great shit
>>
>>86015276
not really.
When you are asked to describe spongebob you are going to mention the pineapple under the sea. 99% of the population will
the monkey show nobody remembers will makke people stutter and struggle to remember anything about it.
Its not about how wild it gets but about how well the concept is crafted, with these shows it seems that it when straight from idea to production without sitting down and figuring out the shit
>>
>>86015462
Gym Partner was made by two creators so right there you got a problem
>>
>>86008187
>Describe monkey school

I USED TO GO TO A HUMAN SCHOOL WHERE EVERYONE WAS THE SAME
>>
File: regular show pissed.png (106KB, 670x366px) Image search: [Google]
regular show pissed.png
106KB, 670x366px
>>86015323
>>
>>86007959
bump
>>
>>86009167
By that logic Firefly was a garbage TV show and Jersey Show is top kino.
>>
>>86009508
GUH MORNIN'
>>
>>86017655
i honestly think firefly is overrated

Jersey Shore is absolute trash but reality tv, etc.
>>
>>86008187
>the Kristy mean
You alright buddy?
>>
>>86017887
Not talking about overrated, I'm saying it obviously wasn't a garbage television program.

Same applies to Flapjack.
>>
>>86009167
because execs cancel things for no good reason
>>
>>86015462
>the monkey show nobody remembers will makke people stutter and struggle to remember anything about it.

I'll always remember it was the show that tried to cash in on the voice of Spongebob and kind of succeeded to be honest. Apparently it was really popular despite not having staying power?
>>
>>86009250
It's decent. It's really hit and miss but can be enjoyable.
>>
File: ElvisPresley.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
ElvisPresley.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>/co/mrades think UG is a bad show
>>
>>86017655
>implying firefly wasnt hot shit
>>
>>86009238
>Flapjack
>Not having deep lore
Each episode was a filled with worldbuidling.
>That episode we learn about the doctors wife
>Where candies come from
>How Stormalong was made
>>
>>86009508
I do agree, few first episodes are weak but it gets better and better. It's the artstyle that ticks people off. Same with Pickle and Peanut - good show with NEW designs that hurt your eyes ( I love it for that!)
>>
>>86009840
I do. It was hilarious and still is.
OXYMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOROOOOON
>>
>>86013639
Educational and funny show. Loved it.
>>
>>86018937
That doesn't count because it was made pre-At and we all know that lore in cartoons didn't exist until 2010, sayeth /co/
>>
https://youtu.be/3Ao4WTcMtY8
Too good.
>>
>>86019084
Classic
>>
>>86015256
what made squirrel boy bad other than crippling mediocrity and non-jokes?
>>
>>86010210
Yes. It was like staring at a blank screen. I can't imagine anything worse at least Squirrel Boy had some content.
>>
File: bath time.png (745KB, 735x544px) Image search: [Google]
bath time.png
745KB, 735x544px
>>86009413
but Adam was an absolute shit in that episode and had what was coming to him
>>
>>86008293
I remember feeling sad when a school episode was on
>>
>>86019917
why because of the quality dip, the tone of the episodes, or...?
>>
>>86019917
I actually recall enjoying the school episodes. They weren't as good as the prime, but I'm pretty sure there were enough gags I enjoyed and it was nice just to have episodes that I hadn't seen a ton of times before.
>>
>>86009552
To an extent. Personally I feel like it has the same feel as a lot of the 90's shows, but somehow doesn't manage to execute it as well. I don't dislike it, but I just think the style is unpleasant, the characters are generally annoying, and the type of humor has been done better before.

It's definitely better than a lot of cartoons that get released though. I can respect that it seems like there was genuine care put into it.
>>
File: 1472792242206.jpg (184KB, 642x535px) Image search: [Google]
1472792242206.jpg
184KB, 642x535px
>>86009024
Yep, this guy is right, objectively.

I admittedly liked that stupid Destroy Build Destroy show but it did not belong on a fucking cartoon channel. Keep live action shit on live action channels for fuck's sake.
>>
>>86017093
Probably one of the only redeeming factors about Cartoon Network is that they're not afraid to test the waters when it comes to more mature themes.
If they had had on Disney XD or one of those baby channels it would've been off-air.
>>
>>86020479
>If they had had on Disney XD or one of those baby channels it would've been off-air.

I wouldn't say mature themes when it comes to Gravity Falls but GF handled some edgy humour
>>
>>86020190

The episodes were hit n' miss but I loved the actual atmosphere of the school. That episode where they build a plane to escape is great.
>>
File: 270px-Reanimatedmovielogo.jpg (25KB, 270x303px) Image search: [Google]
270px-Reanimatedmovielogo.jpg
25KB, 270x303px
>>86009024
Lest we forget the movie that launched this pile of crap?
>>
>>86014821
>>
>>86020778
I'd rather not
>>
File: 1443567059292.jpg (33KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
1443567059292.jpg
33KB, 399x388px
>>86020778
Please no.

It was bad enough the entire movie was basically just a shitty parody of Walt Disney with made up cartoon characters.
>>
>>86012980
>relatively average mid-2000s Nick cartoons

Poochini and that Spongebob rip-off of a talking coconut were horrible, though. pure shit.
>>
>>86021444
I can't remember if those shows were from Nick or CN, because they both sucked the same way back then
>>
>>86020778
>spent the night at my brother's house
>his autistic children wanted to watch that
>twice in a row
>>
>>86008007
I enjoyed the cramp twins though.
>>
>>86023513
......how?
>>
>>86009172
How could you forget the Ranting Swede?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hcZ8akIFAk
>>
>>86007959
>the boy's design
>eyes on glasses
>in profile his eyes are still on his glasses
>the area on his face where his eyes should be are just blank caves of flesh

Eurgh
>>
>>86009413
>>86008867
>>86009122
>>86013348
I agree on the Jake thing wholeheartedly. It had potential but just didn't go all the way with it. All I remember was the part of the Animas ep that parodied the Grinch. I thought it was hilarious at the time, but now I don't know. Might have to rewatch all of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4leCTwQE5qE

That theme "song" is still godawful though
>>
>>86014678
Yeah, pretty much. A thing with an ongoing plot and episodes that you can't watch in whatever order you want if you want to understand them.

AT is barely that sometimes these days, since it's so spread out that you'd have to make a list of what eps reveal anything, and all the status quos make that even more confusing and pointless-feeling. But I guess the ground rules for its world still apply.
>>
>>86023872
I'd give the show a rewatch, at least some episodes. I recently gave it a mini-binge and was surprised how good some episodes were.

Mandrill better character
>>
>>86020778
I remember the movie being alright, I watched it reluctantly but it had some dark humour with the whole "new brain" aspect and later on when the main cartoon turned out to be a bit of a selfish prick. But it would never work as a show, and that was shit from the get-go.
>>
>>86023578
Ever seen Duckman?
>>
>>86024352
That's different. He's in a surreal cartoon for adults. Squirrel Boy is for younger audience so the eyes should be where they belong
>>
File: 1351395840872.png (65KB, 358x555px) Image search: [Google]
1351395840872.png
65KB, 358x555px
>>86023872
Oh god this is the episode where Adam learns the tradition of peeing on a petrified turd
>>
I havent watched anything on tv in the last 10 years except for SU and Adventure Time. Are there any cartoons with the same snarky, self-aware sense of humor that Mighty Mouse New Adventures has? Everything seems to have either soft tumblr humor or lolrandom humor these days, I want something snarky with bite.
>>
>>86025332
>Are there any cartoons with the same snarky, self-aware sense of humor that Mighty Mouse New Adventures has?

The last season of My Gym Partner's a Monkey
>>
>>86025428
Hmm Ill check it out. I remember hating that show when it aired though.
>>
File: 1322666839223.png (13KB, 438x499px) Image search: [Google]
1322666839223.png
13KB, 438x499px
>>86009024
>the talent show episode

I've never felt so much second-hand embarrassement in my life
>>
File: Johnny_large.png (23KB, 293x462px) Image search: [Google]
Johnny_large.png
23KB, 293x462px
>>86007959
No, I don't think that show represented CN's dark age.

pic relate is what represented CN's dark age.
>>
>>86025526
You raise a good point, but that show's a little too eternal to represent a short era
>>
>>86009126
Flapjack only lasted for 2 seasons and really didn't do that well hell most people didn't even know when it was on. Chowder I know didn't do well given Greenblat's rants over CN's change in management and the fact that the show got little to no merchandise. Adventure Time pretty much revived the network.
>>86009137
That show, much like Cow and Chicken and Johnny Bravo, really relied on one gimmick and that's it. People who praised it mainly liked how the show would heavily rely on edgy 90's humor much like Ren and Stimpy which isn't bad because much like R&S it was able to get away with a lot of shit by being subtle but there's not much to it in the long run.
>>
>>86009172
>Time Squad
It was mediocre.
>Sheep in the Big City
Absolutely GOAT
>Robot Jones
Deserves to be forgotten. That show was such a mess and looked ugly as shit. Its bad enough that they went back to redub the show to give the MC a more human voice.
>>
>>86025463
The early episodes are garbage, admittedly. The last season is decent.
>>
>>86007959

The show was decent and with potential, at least in the dub version had good acting and most of the humor was based on funny witty dialogue rather than physical humor like most people would think.

Also the character design is not that bad, is not same face universe and I like Steven Universe
>>
>>86009024
Was I the only person who liked spoiler unnatural history spoiler
>>
>>86012777
>AT, RS and by extension most of CN's contemporary lineup wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Chowder and Flapjack
Flapjack definitely (mainly because AT and RS alumni worked on that show) but Chowder was just as dull as Gym Partner, Camp Lazlo and Squirrel Boy, seriously if you remove the artstyle the show's writing got really really lazy as it went on. Go to see Harvey Beaks isn't going down the same route but its boring in comparison.
>>
>>86023872
The constant scene transitions are really annoying. Good episode though.
>>
I didn't watch MGPaM but there's that one episode where the Principal wants to see Adam's parents and he drops a reference to Weekend At Bernies. It was so weird seeing such an explicit in-character cultural reference in a kids show. That doesn't make the show good or anything but it seemed very deliberate.
>>
File: Predator.png (1MB, 697x1096px) Image search: [Google]
Predator.png
1MB, 697x1096px
>>
Do you guys remember almost naked animals? That shit made me stop watching CN altogether. I watched only Adult swim for years until i was convinced every trace of that abomination was gone
>>
File: 1451293483525.jpg (108KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
1451293483525.jpg
108KB, 1191x670px
>>86007959
>>86008007
>>86008867
>>86024825
>>86024328
I disagree with the Facebook and 9gag memes that Cartoon Network "died" in 2004. And I'm also going to disagree with you guys who consider Camp Lazlo and Gym Partner to be 'dark age' CN shows, when I think they were more of a silver age show (though right before the dark ages).

Even though 2004 was when the network changed its logo, it still managed to maintain a great year of programming with shows like Foster's season 1, peak Billy & mandy, peak KND, Duck Dogers, Megas XLR, and Star Wars: Clone Wars. It was the overlap between the best of the best of the 90s cartoons dwindling out/still getting reruns and the best of the early 2000s, before the mediocre stuff they pushed from 2005-2009. And of course, we can't forget the City bumpers.

2006 was when things were more noticeably headed towards the iceberg. And 2007-2010 is when the ship smacked into it with CN Real.
>>
Why was the only joke for the toad principal being him being afraid to be sued
>>
>>86024352
>>86024825
Stylistically, it's still a huge pet peeve for me.
>>
>>86026596
Another classic treasure from Canadian animation
>>
>>86026691
I don't know why you included my comment in your reply, I never said anything about CN "dying" in 2004 nor do I believe that.
>>
>>86027186
It's copypasta. It even has the same image.
>>
>>86026564
There's a scene where Adam rips the horn right off of that teacher's snout and it's not gruesome or anything but it creeps me out.
>>
>>86027183
Apparently the creator is American, also developed Peanut and Pickle and Fish Hooks
>>
>>86026777
There was that joke where he narrated the Hawaii episode with Adam
>>
camp lazlo, chowder, flapjack era is best
but it's pretty gay to divide a childrens cartoon tv channel into "eras" so whatever
>>
>>86025507
what's this?
>>
File: squirrelman.png (518KB, 760x921px) Image search: [Google]
squirrelman.png
518KB, 760x921px
>>86023578
>>
>>86028056
hideos
>>
>>86028056
>>
>>86028937
Duckman was very representative of the blind
>>
>>86026564
That can't be real.
>>
>>86008187
Even the school seasons of EE&E were pretty good.
>>
>>86008187
>>86015462
This anon is fucking wasted.
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 288x160px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 288x160px
>>86021444
Hey, Coconut Fred is pretty funny if you see it as the adventures of a insane, vengeful god who rewards his followers and torments his enemies. SpongeBob may be funnier, but he never crafted sapient life and tortured it for his own amusement.
>>
>>86025961
Nope, that was my shit

but learn how to spoiler
>>
I remember enjoying Class of 3000 when it was still new. It had a pretty good sense of humor, and the songs were pretty catchy.
>>
>>86029348
suptacuz?
>>
>>86029356
I remember nearly nothing about that show, but I remember it having a great atmosphere.
>>
>>86014821

those shows were okay in my opinion. Not the best but I feel they receive to much shit for what they were.

not a high but not a low

average was okay for me
>>
File: Young One.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Young One.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>86029356
I haven't watched the show in a decade and I can still remember how some of the songs went

GOD
TIER
>>
>>86026564
was this joke real?

I want it to be real
>>
To this day I remember the asbestos episode of MGPaM

and I don't know why
>>
File: 1468205563445s.jpg (4KB, 123x125px) Image search: [Google]
1468205563445s.jpg
4KB, 123x125px
>>86020778
>I wanted to watch this on the day it premiered
>My mom invited me downstairs to watch a Christmas movie with her
>I decline and stay alone in my room to watch re-animated
Wish I spent time with mom instead
>>
>>
>>86029659
>that release date
>that song

wut
>>
>>86029171
>>86029551
why is this hard to believe?
>>
>>86029551
Hygiene Hijink, episode 6a of Season 4
>>
>>86029715
>>86029767
thank you based anons I'm laughing my ass off
>>
>>86029659
who takes the time to incorrectly point out the pun in show titles on a wikipedia page for some show nobody remembers?
>>
>>86008210
it's also where a lot of classic spongebob crew went after the movie (it was mostly season 3 guys like Kent Osborne, Kaz, and Mike Roth, though there were some others like Mark O'Hare and Merriwether Williams)
>>
>>86029833
Oh that episode was truly something special. You got to see Ingrid out of her element. Usually she only has to worry about lusting for Adam but that episode had her go to unfamiliar and ominous territories.
>>
>>86008653
fun fact: of the shows that decended from flapjack, Regular Show was probably the one with the most "Camp Lazlo DNA" so to speak (the top people on the show, JG Quintel, Mike Roth, and John Infantino, were all Lazlo writers/boarders)
>>
>>86009001
flapjack came roughly half a year later than chowder (though the first flapjack shorts aired on the network prior to chowder's premier)
>>
>>86029894
Hmmmm...!
The More You /co/!
>>
>>86029715
I remember the first time I saw this joke. The only time in my life I've ever had a spit take. It was glorious.

This joke is perfect.
>>
>>86009283
>>86009303
not only the same creator, but the UG pilot has an aesthetic closer to SMFA than the final show
>>
>>86029348
[Spoiler] OK I'll try [/spoiler]
>>
>>86030026
ctrl+s
>>
>>86030065
He's trolling you, bro.
>>
>>86030065
test test

I'm not >>86030026
but thanks anyway
>>
>>86030065
He lies, the shortcut is alt + f4
>>
I was only disappointed cause I was expecting something of the quality of Duckman.
>>
My favourite detail about Gym Partner is that the toucan's accent is fake. She just does it to ward off predators.
>>
Isn't there some character in MGPIAM that /co/ waifus a whole lot?
>>
>>86014821
20, and the third person who happens to be so. Camp Lazlo was good and MGPaM was okay. The ending to the former was indeed strange.
>>
>>86020904
>>86029450
>>86030487
Josh?
>>
>>86030701
I have not known of any Joshes in years, man.
>>
>>86014821
I was 20 for most of 2007 and I liked it
>>
>>86008007
>Honestly I think this was on the same level of Camp Lazlo & My Gym Partner's A Monkey (forgettable but not offensively bad [like annoying orange for instance])

why were all these terrible shows animal related
>>
>>86014821
Somewhere between 10 and 13
>>
>>86030795
Many cartoons are about animals
>>
>>86030795
simple, relatable, and pretty much 100% premade character designs?
Anthropomorphised animals have always been fairly common.

Though I don't think I'd rank Camp Lazlo as terrible, even though I hated the main character. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

MGPsaM, though, that was terrible. had a couple moments but was otherwise bland and bad. And it had the same main character schtick of Fosters, that of put-up pathetic kid and annoying asshole "friend," which did not reflect favorably upon it in the comparison.
>>
>>86009024
>>86020778
Why was this so bad? I only vaguely remember watching an episode as background noise.
>>
File: sue sue sue sue.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
sue sue sue sue.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
SUE SUE SUE SUE
>>
>>86031048
most of the hate comes from the fact it was the first live action CN show if you ignore SGC2C and that shitty Fridays reboot
but it was also very mediocre
>>
File: Adam Mad World.jpg (189KB, 600x880px) Image search: [Google]
Adam Mad World.jpg
189KB, 600x880px
>you will never accidentally get transferred to a school for evolved animals
>you will never be weirded out at the idea of engaging relations with the females in your class
>you will never warm up to the idea of dating and screwing an animal girl
>you will never begin a taboo relationship with an adorable cat girl
>you will never awkwardly proclaim your love for her to your family
>>
I used to go to a human school where everyone was the same
Then I fucked a monkey and I contracted aids
>>
>>86031287
It's funny because he most definitely would not end up with a monkey. Maybe a giraffe.
>>
File: 3538970237509.jpg (16KB, 236x242px) Image search: [Google]
3538970237509.jpg
16KB, 236x242px
>>86031325
I was just making a joke with the lyrics, but yeah he'd either bang the Giraffe or black girl or both
>>
>>86031346
i want a sequel series. My Life Partner's a Giraffe
>>
Has anyone else noticed how CN shows seem to bring out so many opposing opinions?
Whenever someone discusses shows say from Nick or Disney, they can pretty much agree which show were great and which weren't.
Ask five different people what their favorite CN show is and you'll get five different answers ranging from incredibly comedic shows like Flapjack and Ed Edd and Eddy to more lore heavy and adventorous Steven Universe and Adventure Time, as well as shows in the middle like Gumball and We Bare Bears.
>>
>>86031581
Disney and Nick's shows usually were able to share audiences compared to CN being so all over the place that it has the most diverse audience
CN really allowed experimentation for a long while and resulted in shows that had people more divided but were also more memorable
>>
>>86031581
I think it's a dick-waving contest about who likes what kind of media. The lorewhores feel superior to comedies because they think comedies are lower quality. The comedy fans think lore-based shows are pretentious. I guess you could have this split with Disney or Nick but I think it's a matter that the amount of quality shows on those networks are fewer so there's less room to have a turf war over.
>>
>>86021444

Wasn't Coconut Steve early 2000s and not a Nick show?
>>
>>86031882
Mid 2000s but it was Kids WB
>>
>>86015195
TTG and possibly Gumball are both far bigger than SU and no one cares about AT anymore. And even if they were the biggest ones, who cares? It's clearly not enough to affect the rest of the lineup. Or are you actually just whining about their popularity?
>>
>>86026010
I don't know how you remember the show but I definitely recall Chowder going places Gym Partner and Squirrel Boy would never go to. It could get really wild when it wanted to. It wasn't Flapjack but it was close.
>>
>>86009232
Not enough r34 of the mom
>>
>>86029281
I watched Pan Pizza's review too
>>
>>86009840
SitBC was and still is one of my favorite CN cartoons.
>>
File: image.jpg (449KB, 1242x1771px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
449KB, 1242x1771px
>>86031214
>get transferred to a school for evolved animals
>dating and screwing an animal girl
>actually wants to hang out with animals
THEY'RE NOTHING HUT ANNOYING BEASTS!
>>
>>86033355
what's this and is it any good?
>>
>>86007959
When I think of cartoon network at its lowest point, I think of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzwzf1Y1I8U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsqZRulIYLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgHVcmHjRW4
>>86029513
BANANA ZOO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JjedJCpN7c
>>
>>86033355
sauce?
>>
>>86009126
People forget that if it wasn't for Flapjack, we wouldn't have most of the longer running shows from the past seven years.
>>
>>86009382
This, this guy right here. Snyder was trying multiple different things to keep CN relevant when Nick was starting to beat them. That's how we got CN Real and later the large surge of TV-PG Cartoons.
>Hmm... We're losing viewers to Nick. Maybe we should cut some of our shows. They might be turning stale and turning off new viewers.
>Crap, that didn't work. Well, those guys have live-action shows, maybe if we tried...
>SHIT! That went worse than usual! Well, we'll just push our PG rating with some edgy comedies and dark action shows...
>What'dya mean the toy companies don't want girls watching?! Uh... internet talent? Maybe if we show the action shows really early and really late...
>CHRISTINA MILLER IS ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL. ALL ANIMATION WILL BE FOR BABBIES ONLY FOREVER AND EVER.

Really, since Miller's such a moralfag, it's inevitable about why the network descended into mediocrity. They're just running on autopilot because they're a network that thinks, to paraphrase a TTG episode from her era, "Cartoons were never cool!" People actually liked TTG during Snyder's era, but under Miller, practically everything the network (and other animation firms owned by Warner Bros.) was terrible.

The worst part about all this is the removal of classic content. When Jim Samples removed the Hanna Barbera and other classic cartoons off the main network, he moved them to a new network, Boomerang. When Snyder got rid of the old shows, they moved to Boomerang, too. Suddenly, Christina Miller takes over and all the old cartoons vanish completely. Remember that art collection? Only one picture was from a classic show. Or how Snyder's PTE had everyone up to 2009, but the latest game is strictly what's currently airing.
>>
File: robin_and_toon_robin.png (688KB, 1284x734px) Image search: [Google]
robin_and_toon_robin.png
688KB, 1284x734px
>>86035227
Though, if I had to pic the point the network really lost its way, it would be...

...the creation of [adult swim]. Early on, the network struck me as one for animation enthusiasts of all ages. [adult swim], by its very nature, implied the daytime stuff was just for kids. Remember when Toonami aired the Midnight Run on weekends? It was advertised regularly on CN. (Or how else did you find out when to sneak out of bed?) [adult swim] cloaked the fact that adults could enjoy the network's programming, not helped by the shows becoming more and more childish. What started as shows about a wannabe casanova and a genius boy became a group of kids fighting things kids hate and an idiot, a girly overlord and a Jamaican Grim Reaper under Samples. By Snyder's term, the shows were about strange non-human creatures or animals behaving like animals shouldn't.

They got more untethered under Miller. You have a show about YouTuber bears, shows with a gumball machine with noodle limbs attached, and shows with photographic tigers and pizzas. Even the rebooted shows have less depth to them and are wackier. Just compare the two Robins here and you'll see how one is designed with layers, and one is just goofy. TTG Robin even looks 2D!

In conclusion, Cartoon Network stopped being good when Christina Miller came aboard, since she clearly doesn't like animation to begin with. The worst part is that we have to wait another seven years just to get her replaced, and even then, the next guy may be worse.
>>
>>86033355
That looks kind of interesting. What's it from?
>>
>>86014821
I was 9 - 12 while Camp Lazlo was on the air. I recall one night, both my little brothers were at their friend's house and my Mom went out for a bit with my Sister, and I was watching Camp Lalzo and drawing. It was the first night I got to spend alone by myself. At least until like, 11pm.
>>
>>86014821
I was 8 when Camp Lazio aired, and thanks to growing up with Rocko reruns and VHS tapes, it was the first time I realized this was created by another person. It was probably my favorite show of the mid 2000s on CN. Now I'm 19, and while it's not the absolute best show ever, I view it as on average S1 of Spongebob tier. Pretty solid, get a few laughs per episode.
>>
My Gym Partner is a Monkey had the same problems that made me dislike the majority of CatDog episodes, but there was one thing good from it: The fucking platformer game Cartoon Network has on its website.

Speaking of game, RIP Fosters Big Fat Awesome Party (or something along those lines).
>>
>>86020778
I barely remember this. Was Jimmy's brain completely replaced or was it just a part of his brain? I remember thinking that was retarded then and it still is now.
>>
>>86036422
I believe in the movie it was his whole brain. Pretty dark shit, I knew that it didn't work like that but it was kind of funny in a grim way.

That in itself also made the Walt equivalent sound like a hack, since his "characters" were just his own hallucinations.

I remember the movie being alright. The show was awful.
>>
>>86014821

25, I watched the shows this year.

I've only seen a few episodes of each, though.
>>
>>86036773
How the fuck could he even remember anything? And same, the movie was alright as a kid but I hated the show.
>>
>>86037404
I know, it makes no sense. But the idea itself is pretty fucked up, it surprised me at the time.

The show was doomed before it even started. Different actor as well.

I think I'm gonna have to rewatch it.
>>
File: 1473031847411.png (393KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1473031847411.png
393KB, 785x757px
>>86012951
Jesus fucking Christ that sounds brutal
>>
>>86033761
>>86034043
>>86035745
Murenase! Shitton Gakuen
>>
>>86033355
>males are animals
>females are humans with funny ears
>>
File: level up1.jpg (72KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
level up1.jpg
72KB, 640x427px
>>86009024
i raise.
>>
>>86033085
I just love the idea that some dumbass thought it would be great to completely rip off SpongeBob and make the main character a crazy-eyed lunatic. Oh, and make a shitton of "nut" jokes because "HAHA cocoNUT"
>>
File: why are his eyes mouths.jpg (64KB, 640x421px) Image search: [Google]
why are his eyes mouths.jpg
64KB, 640x421px
>>86025770
>they went back to redub the show to give the MC a more human voice.
>>
>>86025705
Flapjack was more than well known on the chans at that time (both here and 420) and grunge kids would always ask me to draw him back in hs. It was kind of like a cult show and really did help revive CN during the dark 'real' era
>>
File: shaggy in the rain.jpg (23KB, 499x430px) Image search: [Google]
shaggy in the rain.jpg
23KB, 499x430px
>>86031346
>>
>>86038353
Apparently even Rob Paulsen thought it was a sleazy rip-off
>>
>>86038262
Or the females are more anthro, have boobs (especially in some cases when they shouldn't), more clothes, and hair on their head styled like a humans (alternatively, ears tied up in a ponytail). I hate these.
>>
File: Quentin-Tarantino-Burger.jpg (247KB, 612x459px) Image search: [Google]
Quentin-Tarantino-Burger.jpg
247KB, 612x459px
the creators of gym partner went on to make LPS
Thread posts: 263
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.