[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk about Corto Maltese. I never visit this board

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 14

File: Military_6.jpg (84KB, 783x545px) Image search: [Google]
Military_6.jpg
84KB, 783x545px
Let's talk about Corto Maltese. I never visit this board and consequently have never seen any discussions of this comic, so I'll dump as many questions as possible here.

Firstly, which book is your favourite? Mine are Les Celtiques and Tango when it comes to story, and Tango and Les Éthiopiques when it comes to art.

Do you think colour or bw editions are superior? In my country most releases are b/w, with the exception of La Jeunesse and Les Hélvétiques. I feel that the colour, though well done, takes away some of the elegance of Pratt's lines in those two books, so I prefer b/w.

And here's a thing that really bugs me - does anyone really "get" Mu? Is it even meant to be rationally comprehended or is it a sort of Andalusian Dog?
>>
>>85934961
>/co/
>European comics

Son, /co/ only cares about their capefags and comics based on licensed properties like IDW.
>>
File: 1449420858543.png (160KB, 437x597px) Image search: [Google]
1449420858543.png
160KB, 437x597px
>>85934961
Is this from Marvel or DC?
>>
>>85934961
I always wanted to read it, how is it?
>>
>>85935123
It's pretty good.
>>
Banshee is my waifu.
>>
>>85935123
Stupid.
>>
>>85934984
>>85935019

Do you honestly expect threads about European comics to be as popular as cape comics? Perhaps if you wouldn't start off the thread with passive-aggressive bitching people would be more inclined to read the thread and develop an interest.
>>
I've only seen sobe snippets of his animated films what's his deal as a character?
>>
File: 1470344856762.jpg (8KB, 243x190px) Image search: [Google]
1470344856762.jpg
8KB, 243x190px
>>85935560
So it is Dark Horse?
>>
File: cortomaltese.jpg (676KB, 1484x1274px) Image search: [Google]
cortomaltese.jpg
676KB, 1484x1274px
>>85934961
i love the ballad of the salt sea
because i also haven't seen people discuss it, i wanted to find decent scans and storytime it
i prefer the b/w version for the most part
>>
I hate the IDW covers but appreciate they do put them out in a decent format com)pared to the last attempt which was horrible
>>
>>85934961
The only Corto Maltese book I read was the "Fable of Venice".The first part is all mystery and intrigue , and then , the second part is all trippy and shit,I love it.

Being Spanish , I read more European comics like this , and they are pretty good , except the ones from my country , they are all comedy shit (Mortadelo and Filemon , and such)

There shouldbe more threads about these instead of the daily"DC REBIRTH IS KILLING MARLEL" shit we have on the board
>>
>>
>>85934961
Got more pics? Art looks interesting. Especially watercolor.
>>
File: corte_sconta_01-786x1024.jpg (325KB, 786x1024px) Image search: [Google]
corte_sconta_01-786x1024.jpg
325KB, 786x1024px
>>85935123
It can oscillate in quality. The first three books (La Ballade, Sous le signe du Capricorne and Corto toujours un peu plus loin) are very rough, you can leave them for later. But the ones I mentioned in op and Sibérie and Samarkand are first-class.

>>85935663
I think The Ballad isn't very good or representative of Corto overall. The art is clumsy, lacks the simplicity and elegance of the later works and the characters look weird (the faces are inconsistent and can look like crap on some panels). The story lacks any fantasy (while later stories can be extremely fantastic, take place in some other world altogether) and drags on. The characters act weirdly, I remember Corto being very aggressive and physically fighting with Rasputin, which is at odds with his otherwise melancholic personality. It just doesn't feel like THE Corto book to me.

>>85935844
The art in the comics doesn't look like that, sorry to disappoint you. That watercolor is from cortomaltese.com. The comics actually look like pic related.
>>
>>85935748
I thought Blacksad was made in Spain.
>>
>>85936150
I thought it was french
>>
>>85936150
>Blacksad

Thats only one example of the little mature content you are going to find of , not only Spanish comics , but also all Spanish media.

I mean , it sucks that the biggest exponent of "dark comedy" (in like , Sausage Party dark comedy) we have is "El Jueves" a satire magazine that gone too PC when one of the covers was the King naked or something like that
>>
I've only read Ballad and La Jeunesse. Even though it was a much shorter and simpler story, I think I preferred La Jeunesse.
>>
He's hot. That's pretty much my whole opinion.
>>
>>85936150

The Spanish comicbook scene is so shite both authors Juan and Juanjo decided to publish it in France instead.

>>85936128
I read one in 100% colour, though I don't remember the name.
>>
File: reagan god on our side.png (353KB, 458x355px) Image search: [Google]
reagan god on our side.png
353KB, 458x355px
>>85934961
>>85935019
Isn't Corto Maltese the island that nearly ignited a nuclear war in the Dark Knight Returns?
>>
>>85934961
I know this might be a pleb question but are the movies a good place to start?
>>
>>85939729
Nah, they are just adaptations. Pratt's art is beautiful and it would be a pity to miss out and see some random North Korean's work instead.
>>
Any good collections in English? Preferably hardcover.
>>
I got the first volume of the series from IDW, was pretty good quality but I haven't finished it yet. Glad to hear the later volumes are more interesting- I like the setting and characters but I don't find it super compelling, unfortunately.
>>
>>85935748

eyyyyy where my Crepax readers at?
>>
>>85935019
It is actually from Vertigo.
>>
>>85934961
Most of it (as far as I know) isn't available in English and it's so far down my "to read" list that I'll probably never get to it.
>>
I bought a nice english translation of under the sign of Capricorn. Sated my need for a nice tropical adventure story really well. I'll probably buy another book here in a couple weeks, any recs OP? I see you mentioned a couple but is there a core story or is it mainly contained stories with overlapping characters?
>>
>>85935750
hahaha, that's insane !
>>
>>85940271
The new IDW collections.
>>
>>85944932
Thanks anon I'll give them a look!
>>
>>85943489
You'll have to buy Corto toujours un peu plus loin (Beyond the Windy Isles) as well for the complete story. And, honestly, these two are the weakest Cortos I've read. The best starting point is probably In Siberia.

Regarding the core story - mostly there isn't one. Minor characters reappear here and there, and there is a defined chronology of the stories (see Wikipedia), but you can pick any book, read it and understand it. With two exceptions - Windy Isles largely finishes the story of Capricon, and Mu, the last Corto book, finishes the last arc left over from The Windy Isles.
>>
File: kmkl (144).png (55KB, 217x190px) Image search: [Google]
kmkl (144).png
55KB, 217x190px
>>85938077
Ok, I got it, it is DC them.
>>
File: corto3[1].jpg (82KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
corto3[1].jpg
82KB, 1024x768px
>>85934961
Ballad of the Salty Sea. It's classic but still, it's an emotional rollercoaster every time I read it. I guess reading it on the original artwork during the Pratt's exhibition in Paris helped with the mystique, too.
And it has the advantage of being one single story, compared to the chapters/historiettas in other books like the Celtics.

We have some eurocomics generals and storytimes threads, but it isn't the board's main crowd. The fact that some mods are a bit trigger-happy, deleting threads about Blacksad (furry) or Persepolis (feminist flame-bait) doesn't help.

>>85938077
It's a direct reference, yes. One could say a hommage.
For someone that read Pratt before any Cape story, it feels a bit forced, though. Like some author naming an island "Bruce Wayne"
>>
File: 3007064201_1_3_wcL4Dexr[1].jpg (71KB, 600x437px) Image search: [Google]
3007064201_1_3_wcL4Dexr[1].jpg
71KB, 600x437px
>>85936128
I prefer early Pratt art, it may be less natural but his later works can feel too ethereal/abstract at times.

On a sidenote, did anyone read other Pratt stories like Sergeant Kirk, Wheeling, Jungle Ann, Desert Scorpions or Ernie Pike ?
Dans un Ciel Lointain, a story about an italian and a british fighter pilots in Africa, is excellent.
>>
>>85946545
hot diggity damn that's a beautiful piece of art
>>
>>85947175
Pratt said in an interview "I love watercolors, because it doesn't allow any mistake".
(which is lucky, because his oil painting are mediocre at best)

For some reason, most watercolors don't good when you take a pic of them or scan them. According to an author I've met, putting a transparent plastic film on it before scanning gives good result.
She used it mostly to do digital colors on her pencilworks.
>>
File: Cities_2.jpg (67KB, 384x545px) Image search: [Google]
Cities_2.jpg
67KB, 384x545px
>>85946545
The ethereal style is precisely what I love about it. It certainly fits the trippier works such as Les Hélvétiques.

I've read Desert Scorpions not too long ago, but can't remember anything that happens. One episode had Cush reappear and say that Corto has gone missing during the Spanish Revolution, and that's it. It wasn't bad, though.
>>
>>85947955
>Corto has gone missing during the Spanish Revolution
There was a cameo about that bit in one tome of L'Histoire Secrete, with Corto before a Franquist firing squad.
(There's a reference to "Uncle Corto" after ww2 in Pandora's letter at the end of some editions of the Ballad, though)
>>
File: The_Veil_001_010.jpg (645KB, 1400x2013px) Image search: [Google]
The_Veil_001_010.jpg
645KB, 1400x2013px
>>85935748
Isn't The Veil spanish?
It's pretty good shit if you ask me.
>>
>>85946195
>We have some eurocomics generals and storytimes threads, but it isn't the board's main crowd.

I sometimes search the catalog and archive for "euro" to find threads on Eurocomics, but they seem quite rare (or they don't use "euro" in the OP). When there's an active thread though, I think it's quite good. Like this one! I'm learning a lot here about Corto Maltese which I haven't read yet.

>The fact that some mods are a bit trigger-happy, deleting threads about Blacksad (furry) or Persepolis (feminist flame-bait) doesn't help.
.. they do that?
>>
Bought ballad of the salt sea when I was in Italy bought my Italian is still pretty amateurish so I've yet to fully read it. Love the art though.

In case I go back, what are some other stories I should get?
>>
>>85936128
The art looks really ugly and there's an excess of text. Why do you people like this?
>>
>>85950280
What the fuck. The art looks amazing and how the fuck can reading be something to cry about?
I know people can have different tastes but come on.
>>
>>85950354
It's a visual medium, you should let the drawings tell the story sometimes, not just draw a head and then give it a long ass dialogue box. And I don't see how that's "amazing". There's very little things drawn except for the charterers and even they aren't very expressive.
>>
>>85950064
You may get better mileage out of franco-belgian.
>>
File: Ernie Pike 01.jpg (25KB, 200x435px) Image search: [Google]
Ernie Pike 01.jpg
25KB, 200x435px
I have a huge place in my heart for "E riparleremo dei gentiluomini di fortuna," with the whale bone cards and the gold in the cannon. It really feels like a grand adventure in a melancholic tone. And Les Helvetiques is always good.

>>85946545
I've read a fair share of Pike and Kirk. Fantastic stuff.
>>
>>85950417
You should actually read one of the books at some point.
>>
>>85950228
>bought my Italian is still
>>
>>85935748
>except the ones from my country , they are all comedy shit
There is some good Spanish stuff, i quite like Paco Roca work.
>>
>>85953232
Cutlass is the best shit.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.