[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm starting to get curious about western comics, what are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

I'm starting to get curious about western comics, what are some good fantasy comics (self-contained graphic novels or series) that are worth checking out?

pic possibly related?
>>
Monstress is okay.

Most American fantasy comics are very humour based, just so you know. Monstress is a major exception.
>>
Dungeons and Dragons by John Rogers.
>>
Some personal favorites.

>historical or alternate world fantasy
Age of Bronze
Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld
Cerebus the Aardvark
Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
Groo the Wanderer
Orc Stain
Usagi Yojimbo

>contemporary era or urbanized fantasy
3 Story
Duncan the Wonder Dog
Hellboy
King City

>fantasy-horror
Through the Woods

>fantasy-scifi
Moonshadow

>mythology-style fantasy
The Encyclopedia of Early Earth
>>
>>85819816
>Age of Bronze
It's just straight up historical, carefully researched. There's no fantasy in it at all.
>>
> Wayward
Your favourite shonen manga is now a comic. Has nice art, fun characters and everything goes full 80's seinen in last TP

<= Autumnlands
Furfags stuck in fantasy summon a human OPERATOR from far future. Rest is technooperator ruining everybodies shit by not playing by unwritten rules and wizard being overenthusiastic.
>>
>>85819181
Unsounded
Kill Six Billion Demons
>>
>>85819911
It's entirely fantasy. We know almost nothing about the real Trojan War, including whether or not it even occurred.
>>
>>85819914
>Wayward
I found that to be overwhelmingly underwhelming. There's no reason to read it when superior manga that it's riffing off exists.

Autumnlands is good stuff though.
>>
>>85819181
By Western do you mean American? If not, I recommend Armies from Humanoids.
>>
>>85819981
It has no fantasy elements, there is no magic, there are no gods, its set in our world. It's speculative only in the sense its based on the Trojan War which may or may not have happened, but it goes to exhaustive lengths to link it with what we know of the historical period most academics place the Trojan War in and the cultures that took part in it.

Claiming its fantasy or historical fantasy is disingenuous and beyond the creators intentions. He's trying to make a story that could be the closest thing to the real life version of Troy.
>>
Monstress is pretty boring, the art is really the only saving grace. The world/story building is uninteresting.
>>
>>85819181
Bone
The Sandman
Hellboy
Orc Stain
The Spire
Conan
The Autumnlands
Thorgal
By Chance or Providence
The Stuff of Legend
The Wizard's Tale
Through the Woods
Madame Xanadu
Beasts of Burden
Head Lopper

Off the top of my head.
>>
>>85820089
It's fictional people enacting fictional events in a fictional setting.

If it was just the first two then I wouldn't consider it fantasy, but the fictional setting is what pushes it into the realm of fantasy for me.
>>
>>85819181
monstress is really bad desu

I read about songs for the dead coming out soon and it looked promising
>>
Rumble only has fantasy elements but it's still amazing
>>
Mouse Guard, if you consider that fantasy and not "pseudo-medieval with talking animals".
>>
>>85819181
>Sana Takeda

That explains the vaguely mango feel to the cover. Not that I'm complaining.
>>
>>85820350
What is "Historical Fiction"?
>>
>>85821480
When the issues are set in Greece then they're historical fiction.

When the issues are set in Troy then they're historical fantasy.
>>
File: seigfried.jpg (1MB, 1632x2157px) Image search: [Google]
seigfried.jpg
1MB, 1632x2157px
>>85819181
Seigfried by Alex Alice is pretty great. The creator even managed to create an animated trailer for the comic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDoJMwjs0I8
>>
>>85820682
I'd list as modern fantasy with riffing heavily from Hellboy.
>>
>>85819181
Manifest Destiny if you count it as weird take on american settlers.
>>
File: ekho-3c9c1bc.jpg (179KB, 678x960px) Image search: [Google]
ekho-3c9c1bc.jpg
179KB, 678x960px
>>85819181
You might want to check out translated European comics. Stuff like Lanfeust and Ekhö make perfect light reading but they also have plenty more mature stuff.
>>
File: Thorgal-Guardian-Cvr.jpg (132KB, 430x600px) Image search: [Google]
Thorgal-Guardian-Cvr.jpg
132KB, 430x600px
Thorgal is pretty amazing until they changed writers. It has great art too.
>>
File: Walls_of_Troy_(2).jpg (2MB, 1556x1167px) Image search: [Google]
Walls_of_Troy_(2).jpg
2MB, 1556x1167px
>>85821737
Okay, I'm going to tell publishers everywhere that and they'll reclassify decades worth of material along your very thin, very arbitrary standards.

>>85820350
Bronze Age Greece and Turkey aren't fictional settings. Agamemnon is widely regarded to have been based on a real person known to the Hittites, as were other figures in the Iliad.

Likewise the existence of a real life Ilium/Troy is now considered credible.

There's a lot of evidence that an event that became known as and mythologized into the Iliad/Trojan War took place between the Bronze Age Achaeans and the Hittites.
>>
File: 9200000033900706.jpg (112KB, 550x786px) Image search: [Google]
9200000033900706.jpg
112KB, 550x786px
This is set in the modern day so I hope that's not a problem. Are you still here OP?
>>
>>85819181
This if it isn't too weeb for you. Seeing as you wanted to read Monstress probably not.
>>
>>85820682
>>85828679

>What is Rumble about?
>>
>>85830208
Sorry, didn't mean to quote there
>>
>>85819181
Unsounded is fantastic, creator is pretty cool too
>>
>>85819181
Orc Stain is interesting if crude and silly, but it does have a level of seriousness to it and all.

Shame it's been delayed for years
>>
>>85831733
Unsounded is great. I just wish the third book would get made already. I want to re-read it on paper.
>>
>>85820089
the trojan war is depicted in its original stories as the Illiad, where "gods" are directly intervening in battle

come on
>>
I thought Headlopper was pretty cool.
>>
>>85820350
>It's fictional people enacting fictional events in a fictional setting.
Then Superman is a fantasy comic because it takes place in Metropolis
Don't be an idiot mate
>>
>>85836124
I'm not sure you want to use a character who routinely hangs out with a Greek demigoddess as example of not fantasy.
>>
>>85830208
Warrior from old times gets reincarnated into a scarecrow, whose searching for his heart.

The characters are all super charming, and the action's really satisfying.
>>
>>85819181
I enjoyed ElfQuest
>>
File: Hillbilly-02.jpg (290KB, 495x752px) Image search: [Google]
Hillbilly-02.jpg
290KB, 495x752px
Eric Powell's Hillbilly probably counts
>>
>>85819816
What about Sword & Sorcery?
>>
>>85837494
Marvel:
Conan the Barbarian
Savage Sword of Conan

Dark Horse:
Conan
Conan the Cimmerian
Conan: Road of Kings
Conan the Barbarian (some people hate it, I thought it was cool)
Conan the Avenger
Conan the Slayer
>>
>>85837726
Thanks
Anything besides Conan and Red Sonja?
>>
>>85836124
Superman is very much fantasy by any sane technical measure. We just don't call him that because the subgenre of superheroes is well-recognized as its own thing.
>>
>>85836124
Uh yes, Superman is fantasy. Him and his setting are not real.
>>
Idw Ragnarok by Simonson.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.