[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Nightwatch created as a middle finger to Todd McFarlane/Spawn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: nightwatch.jpg (43KB, 300x413px) Image search: [Google]
nightwatch.jpg
43KB, 300x413px
Was Nightwatch created as a middle finger to Todd McFarlane/Spawn? I was reading through Maximum Carnage, and was very confused when I thought I saw Spawn appear, but really it was some rando superhero.
>>
>>85756299
Not a middle finge but a cashgrab. Spawn was huge in the first post-debut years
>>
>>85756299
Spider-man also had prowler
>>
>>85756299
Maybe not, but in recently I think that if given the chance, a lot of writers and artists would fuck with Todd just because they could. I mean... The guy who is HATED. And I am not talking Liefield's hate. I mean say what you want about Liefield but he seems like a pretty decent guy for the most part. It's mainly just his art that gets shit. Todd is LOATHED as a person. I mean Neil bloody Gaiman doesn't like him and he gets on with nearly everyone in the industry.
>>
>>85757634
Goddamn it, Prowler, you're just a normal guy. How are you supposed to fight crime in that?
>>
>>85756299
I have the first issue of nightwatch. how many did he even get? he seems fairly obscure and yet seems like he crossed over with other characters. (Spiderman most noticeably)
>>
File: MightyMouse006-20.jpg (484KB, 900x1355px) Image search: [Google]
MightyMouse006-20.jpg
484KB, 900x1355px
>>85757760
I'd say that in the 90's Liefeld and McFarlane were disliked internally by people at Marvel (though they were okay with Jim Lee). I think it was implied or stated outright in Marvel: The Untold Story or something.

I can't remember Marvel making fun of Liefeld himself within a comic, but there was a Mighty Mouse comic that not only parodied McFarlane's Spider-Man but took some pretty harsh jabs at McFarlane's writing and drawing capabilities.

I do remember that Warren Ellis pointed out that in the 90's a recurring joke at Marvel was that McFarlane had a limited vocabulary and most of it was "fuck." But then Ellis pointed out most of the people at Marvel were gone while McFarlane managed to continue his comic/toy empire.
>>
>>85758632
Found that Ellis quote:

"I don't know Todd McFarlane at all, but I've always had a lot of time for him. I remember when the joke around Marvel was that Todd only knew two hundred words, and that half of them were "fuck." Most of those people are unemployed or vanished now. Todd McFarlane could buy their bodies for medical science. While they're still alive. Fifty times over. McFarlane has proved himself one of the smartest businessmen in the field and a clever and uncompromising creator. Clever? Sure. He was a beginning writer who realised he wasn't all he could be. In fact, he was a pretty fucking appalling writer. So he hired Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Dave Sim and Frank Miller to write sequential issues of SPAWN for him. And the next all-McFarlane issue of SPAWN showed a 400% improvement in McFarlane's writing."

In that same column this quote came from though, he was critical of McFarlane's recent moves.
>>
>>85758924
That's really interesting actually.
>>
>>85757634
Prowler was right before Spawn, and created by Macfarlane himself.
>>
>>85759457
Read a fucking comic, Prowler has been around since fucking 1969.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.