[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So every now and then I hear the phrase that superhero comics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: thor.jpg (353KB, 1280x1155px) Image search: [Google]
thor.jpg
353KB, 1280x1155px
So every now and then I hear the phrase that superhero comics are a form of modern mythology, what do they mean by this?

Is it the idea that like Myths, alot of supers don't exist in any one chronological timeline? Popular heroes have decades long runs and being constantly re imagined and re interpreted by different writers and artists. Similarly myths generally don't have a cohesive, chronological narrative and become twisted and changed over time in order to appeal to the people of different time periods and cultures.

Is it simply the that super heroes are basically gods, both in the sense that they have amazing powers and that they have devout followers (fandoms)?

Or is this statement just a bunch of pretentious bullshit that lazy arts students made up so they can write essays on their favourite funny picture books?
>>
>>85744568
The last one.
It's basically a pretentious way to build up funny books by equating superficial qualities to loftier ideas.
>>
>>85744568
it's more like
when you look back at religions that dont derive from india or israel, they come off like comic books. their stories changed -within people's lifetimes-. each new pharaoh decided the gods were totally different. people like Homer were actively writing new shit for the greeks. the general asian attitude towards religion is just kind of a fun thing you pay attention to once in a while and always stay open to a new one. the romans used headcanons to try to combine all the pantheons into one. basically it all comes off more like fiction fandom that we misinterpreted as genuine faith.
>>
>>85744619
>tfw BA
>I wrote an essay on TTGL on my last year and got a decent mark

I'm convinced /lit/ students are basically lore posters who've learned to make their half baked ideas sound professional. Atleast stuff like history and sociology required research.
>>
>>85744568
It doesn't mean anything. Mythology is typically a form of explanation for the unknown such as creation or natural phenomenon or used to explain the origins of a people, comics are entertainment. Something like The Odyssey would be both.
>>
>>85744568
Ever read Greek mythology?
Hercules was basically the Bronze-age Superman.
Same with every old cultural tradition around the globe: they all have tales of morally virtuous heros defeating supernatural threats.

It's not that hard to spot.
>>
>>85744731
>w-w-wait what if Zeus wasn't Greek but actually ROMAN
>Like our harvest god was actually Zeus all along

But in all seriousness, with the Greeks and Romans I've wondered for a while where their role of "character in those stories" ended and "real being who needs to be worshiped and feared" began. I mean Greek myth is borderline heavenly sitcom at times.
>>
>>85744953
They were part of actual state religion, and going against them put you on a lesser level of acceptance in society.
>>
>>85745293
yeah but that's the thing, the dichotomy is something that's hard to process with a modern, monotheistic mindset.

The implications god being a flawed being who gets up to all sorts of silly shenanigans is weird. Maybe I need to start reading up on more religion. Too much Abrahamic has fucked my brain.
>>
>>85744849
>Hercules was basically the Bronze-age Superman
But the difference is like >>85744798 pointed out, the myths were used to explain things that existed in the world that people of the time had no means of understanding. Hercules' actions were things that explained how cities were formed and other such things. Society today doesn't turn to Superman to explain the origins of the world.
>>
>>85746010
Are you really going to argue the entertainment value of the 12 labors of Hercules?
Clubbing to death the lion with the Luke Cage hide that can never be cut... except of course by it's own adamantium claws...
Havng his sidekick, Bucky, toss him the torch to burn the wounds of the severed Hydra heads before it's healing factor kicked in...
Hulking out to hold the whole planet for Atlas while the guy takes five...
The stories even had a Lex Luthor being all rich and devious to scheme and plot against him!
>>
It's pretty simple, mythology is just a collection of stories that build on each other. That's literally it. While something like Lord of the Rings has one main story and side stories that supplement it, Superhero universes are comprised of a bunch of individual stories that don't always serve to progress or build a specific main storyline.

It also helps that there is a classic greek mythology parallel to the telling of stories regarding heroes.
>>
>>85746899
You completely missed the point of my post, so congrats on that. Re-read and do a follow up post with a well thought out thesis or I'm going to have to fail you on the final.
>>
>>85744734
subject matter should never ever be an inherent fault of an essay, so it doesn't really matter that you wrote it on TTGO as long as you had something to say

There are plenty of valid topics regarding TTGO or basically anything in the universe as long as people interact with it in some way.
>>
>>85744568
>writing about a piece of media that has had a large financial and cultural effect is pretentious
>>
>>85744568
>what do they mean by this?
This is one of the least cryptic sweeping statements I have ever heard, and you're still asking to have it explained.
>>
>>85744568
The argument I see most people make is that they're both larger than life characters and stories made to entertain, although most of the people who make this argument go under the assumption that even in the times when those myths were believed, nobody believed that, say, Hercules, was real.

I don't know if it's true either way, although, as a fan of hilariously ironic situations, I do enjoy the idea that when our civilization collapses, a thousand years later somebody will find a sculpture of Spider-Man and think he's a local god.
>>
>>85747338
It is irrelevent what faulty old world educational messages they emparted, in case you haven't noticed Spiderman sometimes doles out science factoids when kicking supervillain ass, but that doesn't mean that I believe the universe I live in was created after the last cosmic crisis of infinite universes. What makes you so certain that ancient Greeks believed these stories were facts? Other than the fact that you've said it so now it has to be true or you look foolish?
The ask was to compare modern Comics mythology to ancient myths, pointing out the individual differences DOES NOT negate the multiple similarities that do exist.
>>
>>85747507
I'm going to pray to Spiderman so that you shall be forgiven, lest ye be cast down unto the realm of the goblins!
>>
>>85747507
Many historians of antiquity used the direct intervention of the gods as the foundation of destiny to rule for contemporary leaders.

So if historians, some of the most educated people of ancient times, believed enough in the gods to base the entirety of their work's legitimacy as historical documents on these statements, it's probably pretty likely that by and large the common man believed in the gods without question.
>>
>>85747958
You've never read up on ancient Greek philosophers, have you?
>>
>>85747802
>What makes you so certain that ancient Greeks believed these stories were facts? Other than the fact that you've said it so now it has to be true or you look foolish
You have failed the course. See: >>85747958

And if you need more convincing, read Plutarch.
>>
mythology is based around explaining something, even if it's explaining people's reverence for something and not its creation

the only thing comic books explain is nerd virginity
>>
>>85748006
So the fact that one group of intellectuals believed one thing, another group of intellectuals and their belief structure is invalidated? Do you even know how to create a sound retort? Just stop trying.
>>
>>85747802
>Greeks
People worshipped the gods. The gods created them, fact. And then greek society became increasingly atheist and the gods turned into entertainment, yet remained beloved by the old guard of the state.
>Comics
Everyone is already an atheist and is just fucking around if they ever relate it to real life
>>
>>85748037
Fuckwit, Plato didn't believe in fairytale gods, Socrates was killed by the state for undermining the theocratic foundation for Greek governmental authority, and YOU said there were no ancient Greeks that thought these were silly stories.
I called you out on that, and now you're taking it personally because you've forgetten that this is all anonymous.
Grow up, just scroll away. It's not as if your great name has been besmirched.
>>
>>85748214
>YOU said there were no ancient Greeks that thought these were silly stories
Holy crap, you are so fucking retarded that you forgot how to read and process the words you are seeing. Let's review:
>>85747958
>it's probably pretty likely that by and large the common man believed in the gods without question

Let's break this down.
>by and large
Meaning generally, for the most part, and mostly.
>common man
Is this everyone down to the last person in existence? Or literally the exact meaning of the phrase, i.e. the average person?

Just do us all a favor, go buy a horse and live in the mountains, leave everyone alone. You've proven yourself to be the dense type of fuckwit that walks himself into a stupid retort and then is driven into an autistic rage when someone slaps you back into place.
>>
>>85748446
Again, you psycho, scroll away and stop pretending you're somehow going to save your fragile ego.
You want to say that the words you've posted already were entirely meaningless, well whoopty-doo, I think so too!
You want me to pretend that what we've been arguing about never was so that you can claim an imaginary victory in an entirely different argument?
Well fuck you. The words are there, it fucking happened. You were wrong, you fucking know it, that's why you're so pissy about it. Cope.
>>
>>85748731
>The words are there, it fucking happened
Post them. Please. Right now. End the argument, send me home. Post them.

You eunuch fuck.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.