[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are villains accountable for evil actions if they're completely

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

File: 600 people.png (711KB, 949x528px) Image search: [Google]
600 people.png
711KB, 949x528px
Are villains accountable for evil actions if they're completely insane? Characters like the famous Joker and Johan Liebert from Monster. Is that also why they're spared by the good guys?
>>
Just because it's not the dog's fault it's gone rabid doesn't mean you don't have to get rid of the dog.
>>
Joker is spared by Batman because Bruce deludes himself into thinking that he can save the Joker through rehabilitation.
>>
>>85673179
Joker isn't really insane tought. he is fully aware what he does is bad and hurts people.
>>
Joker isn't insane, he's "super"-sane. He's more sane than anyone in his universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNNxSFkgwQU
>>
>>85674007
Doesn't matter. As long as the Joker can trick professionals, he'll be sent for treatment at Arkham, or some other mental health facility.
>>
>>85674051
Even if he was sent to jail he'd break out. That's mostly just comic creators not knowing how insanity pleas work. It's not about trickery.
>>
>>85674007
He's "insane" in the comic book sense.
>>
>>85674132
No
He's "insane" in the normie meme sense
>>
>>85673179
>Johan Liebert
>insane
Sociopaths =/= insane.
Otherwise Ted Bundy would've been in mental institution isntead of getting a chair.
>>
>>85673275

WHY is Batman so invested in rehabilitating the Joker so damn much.

Does Pointy-Ears feel even the least bit of responsibility every time the Joker escapes Arkham and kills somebody again?
>>
Okay ask yourself this. If the villains aren't responsible then that means the heroes are.
>>
>>85673179
Woah woah woah there. What you're saying here is so retarded that it's hard to unpack everything.

For starters 'insane' is a legal term, not a medical one. If they're "completely insane" they are not legally accountable for their actions. End of. Because that's what insane means in a legal context.

If you mean "severely mentally ill" well it depends. If they are ill but lucid enough to not meet the legal criteria of insanity, then it doesn't matter what's wrong with them, they are accountable.
>>
File: image.png (100KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
100KB, 350x263px
As others in the thread have already stated, Joker is a tough example to use here. I get your point though, him and Liebert are pretty much incapable of feeling empathy towards others and it isn't really their fault that they are that way. Do they deserve to be put down or does they fact that they suffer from a chemical imbalance make they deserving of sympathy?

These are the questions.
>>
>>85674597
>make them

I dun goofed
>>
They're not insane, they're just obsessive sociopaths with a deathwish.
>>
>>85674477
this
>>
>>85674477
Is it better to be born good or to overcome your nature through great struggle? An animal's lack of "sin" is simply due to its inability to make those choices consciously. Humans have a choice, and that's what makes what they do actually matter.
>>
>>85674778
>is it better to be all good or only be good for some of your life

Hmm...

>Humans have a choice, and that's what makes what they do actually matter.
Humans do not have choice. We are compelled to punish the evil and promote the good because that is the way of the anti-entropic force of evolution.
>>
File: johan.png (360KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
johan.png
360KB, 500x435px
At least the Joker has a sense of humor.
>>
>>85674477
Fuck off PETA.
>>
File: superman vs polaris.png (615KB, 448x679px) Image search: [Google]
superman vs polaris.png
615KB, 448x679px
>>85673179
Dr. Polaris is usually given leniency due to the multiple personalities, most heroes try to save him from himself more than anything.
>>
>>85674477
I hope this is sarcasm
>>
File: 1471850338422.png (253KB, 500x435px) Image search: [Google]
1471850338422.png
253KB, 500x435px
>>85674954
>>
>>85673179

Joker isn't insane he's fully aware of the consequences of his actions
>>
>>85674477
I'm gonna eat two servings of bacon today, just for you.
>>
>>85674963
Those are falseflag trolls, Anon.
Nobody actually thinks that crap, but all sorts of assholes will say other people think that crap.
>>
>>85673179
Here's a question: How sane is the average evildoer in Gotham?
The Joker's all evil and crazy, but isn't The Penguin insane to live his life in such an evil way?
The Joker's got this ridiculous death count piled up and the number's always so high that it's used as evidence that he just can't be in his right mind to ever do something that evil.
But The Penguin gets away with his murders, he hides them, people disappear, there's never proof that he did them...
So there's no knowing how many people The Penguin has killed.
If it's more than The Joker's killcount, doesn't that mean that The Penguin must be just as mad to do something that evil?
>>
>>85675304
Penguin dosen't kill for the sake of killing
>>
>>85674656
>>85674778
>>85674963
>>85674963
>>85675019
>>85675194
>>85675289
>responding to bait this lazy and obvious
You make a choice every time you post.
>>
>>85675371
I've read issues where he's had people killed for saying something stupid when walking down the street nearby Oswald.
The guy isn't thinking like a normal person.
>>
File: batman-242_zps9044147f[1].png (1MB, 1024x708px) Image search: [Google]
batman-242_zps9044147f[1].png
1MB, 1024x708px
>>85674530
Because Bruce blames himself for the Joker.
>>
>>85673179
>Johan Liebert
>insane

8/10 bait.
>>
>>85675396
I responded to bait with bigger bait.
Thanks for a (You) though.
>>
>>85674778
Parthurnax deserves the axe and you know.
>>
>>85674530
He sees the act of execution as something only society should be able to exercise. It's a self imposed limit on his vigilantism.
>>
>>85675417
What about the other villains?
>>
has, how difference in my native willage. Soft music, wiolins, the happy peoples sitting on their balalaikas, playing their samovars. And then, there was Cucaracha. Ah, Cucaracha: so round, so firm, so fully packed, and so easy on the draw. They would sink to me a little gypsy love song, like this. Listen.
CUCARA-CHA! Cucaracha, cucaracha – hoo hoo hoo hoo! Cucaracha, cucaracha – hoohoohoohoo!
>>
>>85675479
Writer convenience.
>>
>>85674051

>he'll be sent for treatment at Arkham, or some other mental health facility.

No, public pressure would eventually send him to a high-security prison that he can't escape from.
>>
>>85673179
The joker isn't insane. He's a showman who enjoys killing people.
>>
>>85675405
On the contrary, he's thinking like a normal person who realized they actually have the power to enact all those petty fantasies of murdering idiots they've met in their day to day lives

That's not "insanity", just sociopathy
>>
>>85675396
Everything is bait nowadays, if I did the smart thing I'd have nothing to respond to.
>>
>>85674530
>WHY is Batman so invested in rehabilitating the Joker so damn much
because he loves him.
>>
>>85673179

I guess a better question is why does no one put glass powder on his food.
>>
>>85675479
The other villains don't have nearly as high a kill count as the Joker
>>
>>85674031
It is US who are insane!
>>
>>85674530
>WHY is Batman so invested in rehabilitating the Joker so damn much.
Batman cares about the fate of the white race and the Joker just might be the whitest person on the planet.
>>
>>85677277

Yes, like Michael Jackson.
>>
>>85674954
>Johan poops better than the sheeples.
>>
>>85674031
>spider-man didn't recognize the Joker because he's normal

Uh, isn't that Ben Riley, not Peter Parker anyway?
>>
>>85677277
>Batman cares about the fate of the white race and the Joker just might be the whitest person on the planet.

>White guy
>Wearing a purple suit

Good one anon, Joker is clearly black
>>
>>85673179
>Is that also why they're spared by the good guys?

They sell books.
>>
>>85677419
>tfw white and used to wear purple suits.
>>
>>85673179
If you're asking from a moral "is it their fault" perspective then the answer should be no, they suffer from potentially correctable physical defects that alter their behavior and make normal function impossible. They are unable to make the choice to be functioning members of society.

If you're asking should they be punished for their actions that depends entirely on your own philosophy. Someone who believes people should be punished for bad choices would say no, people who say those who commit crimes must be punished for the betterment of society (removing undesirables, dissuading the public from committing crimes) would say yes.
>>
File: 185018.jpg (14KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
185018.jpg
14KB, 400x267px
Dislocated mind, bump on the brain. My diagnosis: A rather nasty madness...caused by lack of rape!
>>
>>85673179
It's arguable whether Joker is "completely insane". Some interpretations, even in the canon comics, suggested that he knows full well that being considered "crazy" benefits him as a criminal and abuses it.
>>
>>85674051
Federal prosecution could have him executed for terrorism regardless of insanity.
>>
>>85674530
Because he knows that Gordon will tolerate his vigilantism only as long as it isn't lethal
>>
From a pragmatic standpoint insanity defence exists because some people can't be fixed or discouraged by prison and need treatment instead. And forced euthanasia is currently frowned upon in most societies.

If you go into realm of deserving, that's completely different question. Are we not all prisoners of circumstances beyond our control? Is someone who falls victim to an irresistable vice truly at fault? Is someone born and raised a cruel villain at fault?

Justice is a flimsy concept, utility disguised by moral righteousness so you don't feel bad about waste you get rid of. It's not real thing.
>>
>>85674007
It's canon that Joker is insane.

That's why The Spectre can't kill him.

There's a small part of Joker that just wants to be with his wife and desperately wants Batman to stop him.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.