[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How often does Mephisto lose in comics? I'm trying to figure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Mephisto.jpg (47KB, 442x350px) Image search: [Google]
Mephisto.jpg
47KB, 442x350px
How often does Mephisto lose in comics? I'm trying to figure out how easy it would be to destroy the Devil in the Marvel Universe
>>
>>85670196
Mephisto loses pretty often actually. He's not even all that powerful. He lost his realm to an X-Men once. He's regularly out smarted by Loki. Plus he's not THE devil he's A devil. He's the type Constantine would make a fool of before noon.
>>
File: Kurt-hits-Mephisto.jpg (41KB, 309x452px) Image search: [Google]
Kurt-hits-Mephisto.jpg
41KB, 309x452px
>>
He's bad, so... constantly.
>>
>>85670517
>>85671482
>>85671152
He typically loses things that are of value to heroes but it takes a lot more to outsmart him and make him give up what *he* values. He's not like the Shocker where he's just some dude in a suit looking to get paid, and he doesn't give a shit about world domination - but he does care about causing chaos and upsetting order.

Case in point: the Parker marriage. He fixed everything for Peter - his identity wasn't the only thing he got back. He got his aunt (his only family), he got his spot on the Avengers (although really he probably never lost that, he might have given it up to protect MJ and gone into hiding), he got himself back, ie he stopped being the angry, black-suited rage-driven guy he briefly was.

Mephisto on the other hand got the knowledge that Peter had given up the thing he loved and only Peter and Mephisto knew what he'd done. He'd taken the squeakiest of clean guys and made him dirty on a fundamental level. It's a shame they never played to that - Pete's angst does seem to sell after all - but with the backlash you can understand why they moved on.

But then the flipside of that deal is that the way Mephisto had it happen wasn't just a click of his fingers, it played out "naturally" so that nobody would be any the wiser as to the deal; so Stark and Richards and Strange did the legwork, and MJ and Peter both remembered the marriage, and Aunt May recovers "on her own", but Peter and MJ were never married so it becomes a paradox - did Mephisto really make a deal with *this* Peter, who was never married, or does he just remember a different universe in which he was married alongside the one in which he wasn't?

You're left not knowing how much Mephisto really gains, but that's the essence of the devil-makes-an-offer stories: if he's not asking outright for your soul, you've got a chance to play him at his own game and win, if you're good enough - and as long as you've understood the game.
>>
>>85672227
>>85670196
As for what it would take to destroy him... I don't know. Lords of hell have been killed off before in Marvel. The question is really would destroying him cause his plans to fail?
>>
>>85672261
did they kill him in X-Factor? the run with werewolf mutant kid thing
>>
>>85670517
I think stealing his realm would be good enough for my purposes. Which X-Men did it, and what issue was it in?
>>
Didn't he try to date an X-Man at some point?
>>
>>85672468
Sort of, none of the demon lords actually died, they were just banished from the fight.
>>
>>85673515
Magma, yeah.
>>
>>85673579
What are you talking about? He died and went to Hel-OH! Oooooh....
>>
>>85673449
Strong Guy. New Mutants?
>>
>>85673515
Try? He succeeded, it was the bargain struck to get her team-mates out of Hell and she honoured it.
And at the end of a very awkward evening he revealed to her that the whole thing wasn't some evil scheme, he just didn't know that many hot heat-resistant available women.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.