[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/co/ how do you prefer approaching long-running comics? >from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: deathgwendisplay1.jpg (171KB, 619x414px) Image search: [Google]
deathgwendisplay1.jpg
171KB, 619x414px
/co/ how do you prefer approaching long-running comics?

>from the start?
>diving in randomly?
>follow recommended readings?
>read wiki and give up?
>>
The non-pleb way:

By creator runs
>>
dive into the good runs by the good writers
>>
>>85664750
This is /co/, so
>read wiki and give up
>>
I actually have not read that many comics. I know pretty much everything I know from wikis, forums, this site, youtube, adaptations, and other websites.

When I do read comics I read randomly. I pick up issue 1 of something and dig in. I would love to read Superman from the start but, please, that's never gonna happen. At most I'll buy random compilations of his golden age stuff.
>>
If there's a particular run I'm interested in I'll just read that. But once I start thinking about era and context I'll tend to start at the beginning and marathon through. Just depends on why I'm reading.

I never really used reccs charts that much past my first year or so of reading.
>>
>>85664891

to people who don't read a lot of comics but like to dive in randomly, why do you try to go back so far? why not just jump into something modern? if you like superman, why not just read superman unchained or something?
>>
If there's a comic I'm interested in I'll usually just wait until they make a movie and then spam /co/ with threads bitching
>>
>>85664750
Depends on what I'm interested. I like edgy scott, so I've been reading X-men in this order.

New X-Men 114-156
House of M
Messiah Complex
Messiah War
Second Coming
Schism
X-Men Regenesis
Uncanny X-Men V2
Avengers vs. X-Men
AVX Consequences
Uncanny X-Men/All-New X-Men

I try to follow the comics of the characters I like, for example Old Man Logan and dr. Nemesis. I'm reading Extraordinary X-Men just for Old Man Logan and Cable and X-Force for dr. Nemesis.
>>
>>85664891

You are complete cancer and this board would be so much better if you were banned
>>
Start with the earliest run that interests me.

Jump forward, skipping stuff that doesn't and just reading runs from creators I'm in to.
>>
>>85664750
Since I'm a massive fucking autist, I download all of their solo series, and then use various wikis to find out where they appear in between them.
>>
>>85664750
by writer
>>
>>85664750

Before Marvel abused them, I liked #1's of a new volume and working my way up. From there I branch out or go back to see the previous volumes.

It really doesn't matter. Just read 'em.
>>
>>85665145

Well excuse me for not having a comic book shop within walking distance.

>>85665010

I like pre-crisis stuff actually. I enjoy older Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, and Black Canary comics.
>>
>>85665237
You don't need a comic shop to read comics or even buy them. If you don't feel like reading them you don't feel like reading them but don't blame it on access when that's just bullshit. Piracy, public library, Amazon, etc. Plenty of ways to read if you are interested.
>>
>>85665237
getcomics.info/ is within a click distance.
>>
If Miles' girlfriend died like Gwen Stacy did, he would be the Black Widower.
>>
>>85664750
I'm not that masochistic
>>
>>85665313

I don't do piracy, my library only has manga and indie graphic novels, and I just prefer going to stores. I buy comics but I don't spend all my cash on them. I buy every few months and read up on what.i missed or don't know. I'll read my backlog later.

Right now I'm not particularly into cape stuff anyway. I'm more into Archie or IDW.
>>
>>85664802

This really is the only way to do Cape comics. You can read Spider-Man from the beginning to now but why bother? You get saddled with years of shit like the clone saga if you do that and you honestly don't gain much. It's better just to cherry pick classic runs
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (42KB, 511x584px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
42KB, 511x584px
All She-Hulkie major appearances in chronological order, including events.

I also did the same for Richie Rider, Sif, Elsa Bloodstone, Mar-Vell and his son and daughter, Kamala, Runaways, the entire MC2, and Black Cat.
>>
Start with a certain writer's run, then go around and hit the key moments in their history.
>>
>>85665780
She-hulk has fans?
>>
>>85664750
Do the runs by the artists you like.

NEVER get into them with the intention of getting a satisfactory ending. They are not made for that. Except if it's Starman.
>>
>>85665610
You should check your library's system since that doesn't sound right. The branch nearest to you might not have other stuff but they should be in the system in general so that you can request them to be sent to the one where you live. Mine has a pretty decent mix of manga/capeship/indieshit and I didn't think it was unique since the neighboring county also has a similar selection.
>>
>>85665933

There are dozens of us anon. DOZENS!
>>
>>85664750
I just avoid long runners and almost exclusively read limited runs now.
>>
>>85664750
I never understood this. Peter killed her himself.
>>
>>85666011

I checked out my local library and the only DC or Marvel comic I found was the New 52 Superman volume 1.
>>
>>85665933
A DOZEN DOZENS >>85666013
>>
>>85666038
He couldn't face the truth, so he was willing to kill a mentally unstable pillar of the community with a druggie son only to get away from the harsh reality of his acts.
>>
>>85664802

>>85664802

Related questions.

Are there any lists out there where the books are ordered and divided by creator runs? Diving into the full lists and trying to figure out where to start is such a mess.
>>
>>85666277
the wikipedia page
>>
>>85664750
I don't read comics I read manga. They don't autistically run for 50+ years not even Naruto could reach that level of autism.
>>
>>85664750
get whatever you can easily
if that leads somewhere follow it
if not, start at the start if you can
if not choose an arc that looks fun and start at the start of that
>>
>>85666379
coughKochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujocough
>>
>>85664750
Start at the beginning and go by writers. Anyone who just reads wikis should be banned.
>>
>>85666379
>They don't autistically run for 50+ years
Detective Conan.
>>
>>85666379
>i read manga
Good for you.
>>
>>85664750
Honestly, I've mostly only read current comics and picked up some trades here and there to check out earlier runs.
>>
>>85666773
thanks
>>
This preoccupation with "Where do I start?" in cape comics is such cancer
>>
>>85665610

>archie
>reads sonic
>has autism
>>
Unlike the anons here that follow writers, I actually follow artists. I don't give a fuck about cape stories because all of them are same in the end. I just want some awesome artwork. I really mean this. I don't give a fuck about what the story is.
>>
>>85668260

No one mentioned Sonic.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.