[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /co/ i've been wanting to get into comics for a while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: Watchmen,_issue_1.jpg (103KB, 821x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen,_issue_1.jpg
103KB, 821x1280px
Hey /co/ i've been wanting to get into comics for a while and i was wondering, is this the best place to start? If not what should i read?
>>
>>85632675
>is this the best place to start?
Watchmen is a fantastic book, but it's an awful place to start with comics.
>>
>start in on a genre with a deconstruction of it
bad plan
>>
To add to what I posted at >>85632701:

>>85632675
>If not what should i read?

This is hard to answer. On one hand, you could ask "what sort of genres do you like in film/literature?" but I feel that limits a lot of the creativity in the comic medium.

Honestly, I'd just ask: are you interested in reading the best of the best or relatively new/modern things?

>Best of the best

Among superhero comics, the two classic Marvel runs (which have been a major influence on comics of all types, from all companies) would be Jack Kirby and Stan Lee's Fantastic Four run, and Steve Ditko and Stan Lee's Spider-Man run.

You also have Frank Miller's oeuvre, which includes Batman Year One, The Dark Knight Returns, his various Daredevil comics, and some other things.

Alan Moore's non-Watchmen comics are decent entry points, too. I'd say his "America's Best Comics" output is perfect for someone new to comics.

Outside of capeshit, there's probably too much to choose from, historically. My votes for good entry points would be Love & Rockets by the Hernandez brothers and Carl Barks' work on Disney's various Duck comics.
>>
>>85632675
Watchmen is a better book for people who have already been reading superhero comics for quite some time.
>>
>>85632675
Just pick up a comic and read it, it's not that hard jesus
>>
>>85632701
>>85632932
This.

Read some classic superhero stories, or "greatest of" collections. Find out what characters you like and go from there.
>>
>>85632675
http://comraderecs.wikia.com/wiki/General_Recommendations
>>
>>85632675
Well, if you know anything about /a/, I'd say starting with Watchmen is like starting anime with Lucky Star.
>>
>>85633200
>capeshit
>find out what characters you like
Don't listen to him OP. This is the most cancerous why of reading comics. Start off on the right foot and avoid capes.
>>
>>85633273
so what would you recommend?
>>
>>85633402
What sort of stories do you like first of all. Genre, style, tone, ya know that sort of shit.
>>
>>85633434
I guess i would like a little more of a drama story with some action rather than just superhero antics, in terms of tone though i wouldn't want it to be a grimdark story.
>>
>>85632675
In all honesty the best way to start would be to watch the JL cartoon, Spectacular SpiderMan, and Avengers EMH.

But as for comics here are some good intros:
Books of Doom
Marvel 1602
DC Universe: The Stories of Alan Moore
Grant Morrison's JLA
>>
File: genre comics.jpg (2MB, 1384x3714px) Image search: [Google]
genre comics.jpg
2MB, 1384x3714px
Can we make this a rec thread?

Also, if you have trouble getting used to the format (I know some people who have) try a comic strip like Calvin and Hobbes.
>>
If you want superhero comics
>Batman Year One and its sequels (The Man Who Laughs, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory)
>Giant Size X-Men and Claremont's run on Uncanny X-Men
>Ultimate Spider-Man (the original run with Peter Parker)
>All Star Superman

If you aren't just interested in Superhero fiction there's a lot of different kinds series that are worth reading, such as
>Preacher
>Rogue Trooper
>Transmetropolitan
>Sandman, by Neil Gaiman
>The Invisibles
>>
>>85633634
>Wanted
You gotta be kidding me.
>>
I advise reading The Goon.
>>
>>85632675
Batman series was what got me into comic books.
i would recommend batman new 52
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.