[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Marvel Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 12

How would you turn a DC fan into a Marvel fan?
What runs would you recommend?
What ongoings would you recommend?

Hard mode: Don't mention Vision.

Reading pic related. Good way to start, even if it immediately jumps into teenage love drama.
>>
Claremont X-men
Whatever your personal favorite Spidey is
Busiek/Perez Avengers

marvel as far as i know doesn't have like the cool clist universe building stuff like suicide squad, instead it's like 75% stan/jack FF 15% claremont X-men 10% other
>>
Sentry.
Cosmic Stuff.
>>
>>85614678
Got 'em all.

>>85614595
Read both Claremont X-Men and Waid/Kelly/Gauntlet spidey.
>>
>>85614540
You can't, DC is objectively superior.

Every Marvel comic, each and every one of them can be boiled down to this
>muh relatable life

don't try anon, Rebirth is pretty good. Batman's gon die again you don't want to miss that.
>>
You really have to appreciate their entire history.

Some essential, non-Silver/Bronze Age stuff:
>Annihilation saga and Guardians of the Galaxy
>Thunderbolts
>She-Hulk by Slott
>Spider-Man by J. M. Dematteis
>Daredevil and Alias by Bendis
>Avengers by Busiek
>Fantastic Four by Hickman
>Hulk by Pak
>Agents of Atlas
>Hawkeye by Fraction
>Captain America by Brubaker
>Iron Fist by Brubaker/Fraction
>Nextwave
>Avengers Academy
>Ms. Marvel

>>85614595
Nah, they've got Thunderbolts which is basically Suicide Squad. There's plenty of smaller time stuff.
>>
>>85614799

true but i don't like t-bolts.
>>
>>85614751
My favorite Marvel Hero is Adam Warlock, how the hell is HE relatable?
>>
>>85614823
Which T-bolts DD you read?
>>
>>85614864

Busiek! just didn't work for me
>>
>>85614540
Marvels and Marvels: Eye of the Camera
>>
>>85614828
>my favorite hero is some literally who
And people wonder why Marvel is so shit.
>>
>>85614864
Recommended Thunderbolts? I heard Busiek and Parker have good runs.
>>
>>85614828
Does he have his own comic? As far as I know he doesn't so that doesn't count. But take a look at the Marvel Universe as a whole, you'll see what I mean. Fuck they even try to make Thor relatable and he's(she's) a fucking god(ess)
>>
>>85615007
>Does he have his own comic? As far as I know he doesn't so that doesn't count
Starlin's Warlock, Warlock and the Infinity Watch, and DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy.
>>
>>85615049
Also, pretty much every Starlin-penned Thanos story.

I mean shit, we just got done with a trilogy of Adam Warlock-focused OGNs and an Adam Warlock-focused mini from Starlin.
>>
>>85615007
>asking if adam fucking warlock have his own comic
Damn...
>>
>>85614999

pretty much all of it except for an arc where there's like a fight club.
>>
>>85615007
>Does he have his own comic?
Yes, and it's widely considered one of the must-reads among cosmic Marvel. Sorry, but I have a hard time taking the opinion on the marvel universe seriously from someone that somehow didn't know that.
>>
>>85614999
If you liked Suicide Squad, I'd suggest Ellis's run, where he basically turned the Thunderbolts into the Suicide Squad, with a healthy dose of satire. Busiek and Nicieza's run in the series was basically the best thing to come out of 90's Marvel (which is damning with faint praise, but it's true).
Parker's Thunderbolts manages to find a happy medium between the two flavors, while also being genuinely good in its own right.

There was also a title called the Thunderbolts written during Marvel Now, but that was when Parkerbolts was retitled to "Dark Avengers". THAT was a team led by Red Hulk with Deadpool, Elektra, and the Punisher as members, which wasn't as good, but you may as well read it out of morbid curiosity.

There's also a Thunderbolts title now that sadly isn't that good, although we're due for a new writing soon.
>>
>>85615007
He's had several in the decades since his creation. The Starlin one in the 70's was his best, but he also led a team called the Infinity Watch in the 90's (after being a major player in Infinity Gauntlet), got at least two other small solo titles, and then was a founding member of the DnA Guardians of the Galaxy.
And then there's all the recent "Infinity ____" minis that Starlin has been putting out lately.
>>
>>85615495
Surely I'd just read Suicide Squad if I wanted to read that though?
>>
>>85615677
Well it doesn't have Harley Quinn, so if you've already read the Ostrander run and want something similiar...
>>
>>85615677
Why not both?
>>
>>85615834
>>85615732
It's like going to Burger King and wanting a Big Mac, y'know? I want a Whopper.
>>
>>85615882
I'd argue its like going to Wendy's, finding out they changed their fries, and going to McDonalds, where the fries are like the old stuff you liked.
>>
>>85614540
You ask how to turn a DC guy into a Marvel guy then suggest a book that you admittedly say turns into teenage love drama... Are you high?

On the subject of turning people it seems pretty easy for people who are abandoning Marvel to jump into Valiant
>>
>>85614540
>Ongoings
Totally Awesome Hulk
Moon Knight
Gwenpool
Daredevil
Deadpool
Hyperion
Nova
Ms. Marvel
Silk
>>
>>85615677
It's not LITERALLY Suicide Squad.
Plus it had the neat angle of the Thunderbolts being part of The 50 State Initiative thing that came about after Civil War.
So you've got this crew of government sponsored bad guys hunting down c, d and F-list heroes who refused to register.
It's neat. The whole run is character driven as fuck since the basic conceit is a bunch of crazy super-people forced to work together under extreme stress.

Also Norman Osborn is played by Tommy Lee Jones.
>>
>>85614540
Marvel was on a fucking hell of a roll post-Civil War (a little during and prior too since that's when the Cosmic revival was happening) and pre-Fear Itself era.
Not a huge span of time but it was mostly solid as all hell.
>>
>>85617411
>Moon Knight
If you stomach the not as great Lemire dialogue

>Silk
If you stomach the Ford art in most of the issues. Irene Strychalski will take over for October onwards, but as a tie-in to The Clone Conspirashit.
>>
File: Sienkiewicz-art-for-sale.jpg (71KB, 560x834px) Image search: [Google]
Sienkiewicz-art-for-sale.jpg
71KB, 560x834px
Classic New Mutants. Its the best written X-Men Story of all time.
>>
File: 1465760678918.jpg (125KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1465760678918.jpg
125KB, 1920x1080px
>>85617650
>>85615495
>Mike Deodato Jr
Nope.jpeg
>>
>>85617944
>If you stomach the not as great Lemire dialogue
There are a few iffy bits off dialogue here or there but nothing to write off the whole thing over.
>>
This... is kind of edgy. Is anyone willing to explain why I should keep reading about these unlikeable cunts?
>>
>>85618436
You shouldn't. Ellis basically took a unique franchise and turned it into a suicide squad knock-off, but it was edgy at a time where that was popular and DC wasn't really doing much of anything with the Suicide Squad, so that ended up being a lot of comic readers' first exposure to that type of team.

Just go back and read Thunderbolts from #1 on. Busiek's run is where the comic shines. The Suicide Squad-era that was started with Ellis and ran its course up until 2012 (when it was replaced with Thunderbolts', no relation).
>>
>>85614540
What do you mean by DC fan? You could read Deathstroke, Batman, Nightwing and Green Arrow or you could read Suicide Squad and Justice League and Batman Beyond and Earth 2.

For all I know you have shit taste. What do you like at DC?
>>
>>85618700
>For all I know you have shit taste
He has notoriously shit taste.
>>
>>85614595
Marvel does have that but a lot of their fans are casuals so they have never heard of it. I'd reccomend Ellis Thunderbolts, Paks Hulk and incredible Hercules as well as his Dark Avengers and Exiles series.

There are a tons of other quality titles but Im on mobile so I will have to find that list when Im back home.
>>
>>85614540
Astonishing x-men
Jenkins's spider-man
Fraction's hawkeye
X-statix
Daredevil by Bendis
Iron fist by fraction
Runaways (first vol only)
Thor by straczynski
Spider-man by Dematteis (klh and spectacular)
Ultimate wolverine vs hulk
>>
>>85614751
Can't be done. You would have to raise the IQ level of the fan.arvel has outperformed DC for 50 years and kicks its ass at the box office. DC is only strong on television, because TV is the most plebian medium.
DC is thinly veiled homoerotic a with a pretty 1960s view of Americana. Its conservative in the mostiteral non-polutical sense of the word. Strictly for the naive and subliterate.
>>
Superior Foes of Spider-Man.
>>
>>85614540
Annihilation
Hickman fantastic four
claremont and grant morrison x-men runs
Stan lee & steve amazing spider-man run
Stan lee & jack kirby fantastic four
Mark Gruenwald captain america
ed brubaker captain america
kurt busiek avengers run or at the very least kang dynasty & ultron unlimited
peter david hulk & x-factor runs
greg pak hulk run
superior spider-man (ya i liked it doesn't mean i think it should of happened)
warren ellis nextwave
rick remender uncanny x-force
jm demantis spider-man
JMS spider-man
walter simonson thor
dennis o'neil iron man
bendis ultimate spider-man all the way up to death of spider-man
mark millers ultimates
christopher priest black panther
bendis daredevil
dan slott she-hulk

i can name more but im going to stop there.
>>
>>85618586
will do
>>
>>85618436
Why do they hate Jack Flag?
>>
>>85623503
No reason whatsoever. They're just edgy cunts and wanted to break him because they weren't allowed to kill him. This is during Civil War or near it.
>>
>>85623518
Yeah, I know. I just remembered Captain Hydra issue. Poor guy can't catch a break.
>>
>>85623531
oh right ma bad
>>
>>85614540
Uncanny Avengers (vol 1 & 2 by Remender)
Captain America (Remender)
Daredevil (Miller)

ongoings:
Totally Awesome Hulk
Uncanny Avengers vol 3
Old Man LOgan
(personal choice) Uncanny X-men
>>
>>85614540
Legion

The run is self contained and all of the characters it uses are either new or haven't had a lot of development (so the reader doesn't have to waste time looking stuff up in order for the story to make sense). It is fun, well written, and one of the better books written recently. Legion is both one of the most powerful mutants on the planet and one of the most flawed marvel characters.

I think the defining characteristic of Marvel characters (my personal opinion) is that each one is flawed or complicated in some way. You don't have any characters like Batman who knows lots of martial arts, works out all the time, is rich, gets lots of women, is genius level intelligent, etc... Rather you have characters like
>Tony Stark (Iron Man) who is a rich playboy but has bad people skills and has a history of alcoholism (he's also more or less useless without his suit).
>Thor who is a god but he has an oversized easily bruised ego and he doesn't really understand humans.
>Spider-Man who is actually way above street level in terms of strength and ability but he fights those underpowered villains because he cares way too much about the little people. As a result his social life is a wreck and he's constantly hurting and endangering the people he cares about.
>Deadpool, funny but deeply broken.
>Hulk, nuff said
>Scarlet Witch, doesn't like friendly fire but she keep doin' it
>X-Men, Inhumans, etc.. nuff said.
>>
File: edgelord.jpg (294KB, 668x1024px) Image search: [Google]
edgelord.jpg
294KB, 668x1024px
>>85618436
Ellisbolts is really only worth it for what happens to Mr. X at the end after spending the entire series gloating about how many people he's going to murder when he gets his hands on the magical thingy they're all after. He finally gets it and pic related happens.
>>
>>85623690
I agree with you that Legion was good, but it was good because if was largely self-contained.

Here's some copypasta from five years ago that explains perfectly how I feel on the subject.
>A lot of people say Marvel is better because its heroes have flaws and problems.
>I say that's why DC heroes are better; they have flaws and problems too, but theirs don't DEFINE them the way Marvel's do, which means they can actually overcome those problems and grow and develop over time.

>Stan Lee's biggest mistake was making specific problems an inherent part of characters who are supposed to go on forever; this means they're eternally saddled with those issues, which limits the stories you can tell. Spidey ALWAYS has money problems. Cap ALWAYS has trouble fitting into the modern world. anner is ALWAYS a rageholic who can't keep control, etc.
>And any time a writer tries to resolve these issues, it gets undone by the next guy.

>To put it another way: 25 years ago, Superman was dealing with his job as a tv reporter, Bats was realizing he'd made a terrible mistake in picking the second Robin, Flash was pondering the morality of killing to save innocent life, etc. Today, all those issues have been resolved in one way or another
>Meanwhile, The Thing was pissed off because he's ugly, Cyclops was upset about discrimination, Wolverine was all sniktbubbed about controlling the beast within, Spidey had to find a way to pay for Aunt May's pills, etc. And now, 25 years later, THEY'RE STILL DEALING WITH THE EXACT SAME PROBLEMS.

>It's boring, and it feels stuck in time, even for comics. Sorry, Marvel.
>>
>>85617411
>Nova
The current volume is complete shit.
>>
>>85624844
Except that falls flat with DC as well. No offence but DC has often gone back to their so called original well of ideas as well.

That being said this was the exact reason I favored DC more than Marvel before the New 52. Even then Didio tried his best to pull a Marvel and go back to old concepts in the most edgiest way possible.

Both retell the same shit over and over. You can't deny that they don't. Both also however pull amazing as hell stories as well.

The only difference is that the good DC stories are hella more memorable and the good Marvel ones sometimes go unheard
>>
File: 1453357432498.png (118KB, 489x461px) Image search: [Google]
1453357432498.png
118KB, 489x461px
>>85614678
>>85614731
Good men.
>>
>>85614998
i guess color is shit because my favorite color is hot pink right
>>
>>85617411
You missed carnage
>>
>>85614540
At this point I don't think it's possible. Sure you could show them good old books, but there's no way to get them into the new shit since it's mostly so bad. The only books at all worth reading right now are Vision, Old Man Logan, and Ewing's stuff.
>>
File: 1443401523582.jpg (294KB, 900x896px) Image search: [Google]
1443401523582.jpg
294KB, 900x896px
>>85614540
>How would you turn a DC fan into a Marvel fan?
DC does better self-contained stories. Marvel does better overarching narrative.
I'm generalizing of course but point stands. Marvel's best runs were dynamic and inclusive and used continuity to the fullest, DC's (IMO) are stand-alone with concepts and characters that will likely never come up in another DC comic.
Whilst I can't rightly call any Marvel publication as downright GOOD as Morrison Doom Patrol or Moore Swamp Thing I've read much more Marvel on the whole and continue to do so. Everytime I think I'm sated, a new run comes to my attention that fleshes out the greater whole even more and I'm right back in the fray.

Basically, it's apples to oranges. I can't rightly try to "turn" you if the entire Marvel appeal isn't actually appealing to you.
>>
>>85614799
>You really have to appreciate their entire history.
So yeah this.
>>
>>85626072

>>85626025
>>
>>85624844
>tfw Carol grew and developed past her flaws and /co/ all turned on her for it
No I'm not talking about the 'wipe, she'd already gotten her shit together in the ~13 issues before that.

Also I'd argue Thor as another counterpoint.
>>
>>85626192
>Ross' dad wanting to punch Reed von Richards
Every time.
>>
File: shadeleig.png (3MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
shadeleig.png
3MB, 1500x1500px
>>85623690
Thirding Legion (2012's X-Men: Legacy relaunch).
Since getting into comics I've not actually read much X-Men, I blame this run. Set the bar too high and did too good a job pointing out all the holes in the franchise's logic.
>>
>>85626192
I think this maybe it.

Your DC stories has Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman, Superman identity, Crisis, Forever Evil or Flashpoint etc.

Sure they have had good solo once in a while series like Sandman, Waid's Flash, Moore Swamp Thing, Morrisons JLA, Robinsons Starman and John's Green Lantern but it might be safer to say Marvel can generally pull a decent overarching narrative due to the fact I can think dozens and dozens of runs ofindividual characters or teams to recommend compared to DC.
>>
>>85626519
Yea that's not to say Marvel can't have good one off stories as well. I mean look at the 90s Squadron Supreme, for the few people who have read it.

It's literally lauded as one of the best Justice League story ever told due to the great lengths Grunewald goes to deconstruct its themes. I would say it does a better job than Watchman (although no one can top the many many layers Moore put in it).

In it the justice league expy the squadron go ahead and take over the world for its own good....who are then opposed by the batman expy. If it sounds like an injustice rip off its not. It is done really well where the superman expy is also painted in a very sympathetic light compared to the tyrant regime superman is.

It was a damn good series and showed Marvel does have its good stories. They just aren't heavily promoted by their shitty casual fans.
>>
File: U 6-7.jpg (175KB, 996x1060px) Image search: [Google]
U 6-7.jpg
175KB, 996x1060px
To expand upon >>85626192, this is why Al Ewing tends to get praised as the best Marvel writer. He's a full-blown continuitymage with a doctorate in FUN. Dude just "gets" the Marvel methodology. So if you're looking for recent/current ongoings like Vision I'd advise his work. Loki Agent of Asgard and Ultimates are probably the best (cosmic scale, serious tone, canonical significance) but Mighty Avengers and New Avengers and Contest of Champions are wild rides in their own right.
>>
>>85618586
what's different about busiek's run?
>>
>>85626519
And it's been that way by design since Amazing Spider-Man #1. Marvel was "hipper" because they'd have all this perpetual crossover action. Hype Man Stan knew how to market.
>>
>>85626619
Not a 'boltsfag personally but from what I've seen it's a lot more _______fun.
Busiek wrote Marvels, he's a classicist. The one big difference i remember is story-based so would count as spoilers.
>>
>>85614540
Simonsons Thor. There is no better superhero long run. You can argue Claremont but that had it's bad runs. There was nothing bad in Simonsons Thor
>>
>>85614595
Are you kidding me? Marvel is all about their C and D list heroes. The Avengers was a title just for those characters until Bendis came along. DC justice league is A Listers. Who cared about pym scarlett witch and quicksilver?

Spiderman is marvels a lister and Xmen their team book. But xmen are another team book that go through a lot of roster changes and bring in lesser known characters a lot.

Dc is huge characters, marvel is lesser known heroes.
>>
>>85614540
>see this page
>get interested
>look up it up
>it's just three pages of vision
>the rest is a black lesbian dancing with a date OVER THE PHONE to save the galaxy
>no I'm not joking
>>
>>85627052
>she calls herself ms. america
Hey, why are comic sales down again?
>>
>>85627052
>black
Mexican

Also wrong book man. That was Ultimates and it is the best book marvel has after Vision
>>
>>85614540
I wouldn't do such a terrible thing.
>>
>>85627077
Anything other than Vision at Marvel is shit, so...
>>
>>85627077
>That was Ultimates and it is the best book marvel has after Vision
Then Marvel is shit.
>>
>>85627086
>you wouldn't BTFO wanda
Pussy.

She doesn't care if people would be in danger. She just wants the robo-dick. Hell, she even insults him several times on issues he already told her insulted him.
>>
>>85627125
>>85627125
You both have shit taste.
>>
I'd just point them in the direction of the Marvel Adventures imprint, because that's what got me buying Marvel's stuff.
>>
>>85627125
>>85627138
You just hate that king is dissapointing your batman
>lawl Alfred Batman!
>>
>>85627190
Meant for >>85627138 too.
>>
>>85627149
No I mean I wouldn't try to turn anyone into a Marvel fan.
>>
>>85627190
>>85627208
>>85627197
>he supports mexican lesbos with super saving galaxy dancing powers as good writing
>>
>>85627232
I love dark and depressing Hellblazer. But i need something to bring me back. And her dancing helps
>>
>>85627284
>literally defending adam sandler level "go to your happy place" writing in comics
It wasn't even delivered well. Think on that a second. Adam Sandler did it better. That's how shit Marvel is.
>>
>>85627315
>Adam Sandler did it better. That's how shit Marvel is.
HOW CAN MARVELDRONES

EVER

RECOVER?!
>>
>>85627232
There is literally nothing wrong with Ultimates if you don't have shit taste.
>>
>>85627315
Not like that at all. I am an artfag. I love all interations of art and dancing is one of them
>>
>>85627381
>>85627398

>my happy place saved the galaxy!
>this was treated as par for the course
>not entirely shit on a plat of baked shit

Hell, it wasn't even drawn well. lel
>>
File: 0839_-_LWlvySt.jpg (88KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
0839_-_LWlvySt.jpg
88KB, 399x388px
>>85627315
>>85627398

> STOOOP ENJOYING THIIINGS!!

Don't you have something better to do with your life amigo?
>>
>>85627418
I haven't read what you're talking about but Ultimates itself is good.
>>
>>85626619
Busiek's run is about a team of super-villains pretending to be heroes, with some of them realising that they like being a hero afterall. It's a comic about redemption.

Ellisbolts is just Suicide Squad: government using imprisoned super-villains to do their dirty work.
>>
>>85627077
>Mexican
How can she be Mexican when she comes from a dimension where Mexico doesn't exist?
>>
>>85627315
SHIT
FUCKING DESTROYED
>>
>>85627418
>not like Rockafort art

Hows it being a pleb?
>>
>>85627660
Rooney, you're worse than Boco.
>>
>>85627724
He honestly is, Boco is a joke but he knows it at least, Rooney is cancer.
>>
>>85614540
Miller's Daredevil
Ennis' Punisher
Claremont's X-Men
Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four
Simonson's Thor
Fury: My War Gone By
Morrison's New X-Men
X-Statix
Brubaker's Captain America
Marvels
Ellis' Moon Knight

I'd say it's pretty easy, Rooney.
>>
>>85627925
Read all of those ma man.
>>
>>85614751
>objectively superior.

The battle cry of the johnny-come-lately hipster kids of /co/.
>>
Memender's Uncanny X-force, Venom and Rage of Ultron. Just don't bitch about muh edgy and enjoy the ride. He honestly got to work with lots of very strong artists that he knew how to use well. You know like how Johns knows how to use artists? Somewhat similar.
>>
>>85628043
How about you tell us what you have read?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.