[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Superhero Movies extremely popular. >Comics still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7

File: 2389587-2077668098_9796848c0e.jpg (173KB, 500x301px) Image search: [Google]
2389587-2077668098_9796848c0e.jpg
173KB, 500x301px
>Superhero Movies extremely popular.
>Comics still in decline.

Why?
>>
>>85572268
There's too many, monthlies are a dated concept that publishers refuse to drop, lack of availability, too time consuming, people read in general less and less, and 'daunting' of continuity.
>>
File: image.jpg (19KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19KB, 189x267px
People would rather watch something than two hours than read.

Comics are too expensive for the amount of content. Marvel's floppy quality is shit compared to Image's (not sure about DC).

Floppies are a gay format.
>>
>>85572333
>floppy quality

I meant trade quality
>>
Normies don't read

they don't read at all. Half of them can't even actually read. They have to use abbreviations and text message emojis to communicate because words are too confusing

also, there's still this stigma about comic books that if you read them it means you're a neckbeard virgin who plays dungeons and dragons in his mom's basement

Don't worry about it though. It's their loss to be honest. They're getting the butchered "studio playing it safe" shitty scripts while we get nice things like story arcs and character development
>>
>>85572268
I pray for the day when the cape movie fad finally dies.
>>
>>85572343
>>85572333
I love Marvel but their paper quality compared to basically everyone is shit. Not to mention the missteps when they deem to recolor something.

Their deluxe editions aren't bad however.
>>
>>85572358

They've been making Superman and Batman film for like almost 100 years now

it's not a fad, it won't die
>>
>>85572268
Well, in short term movies are way better. 2 hours of possibly fun live-action, instead of months of reading and waiting. First of all people don't read and second, people can't wait, not anymore at least.
>>
>>85572411
>people can't wait, not anymore at least.

So waiting 6 months to a year for the next DC or Marvel film is tolerable, but waiting a couple of weeks for the next issue of the series is too much?

Nah, that's bullshit man. What a stupid thing to say
>>
>>85572268
The distribution model for comic books is honestly the stupidest fucking one I have seen in any industry

>Here, go to this speciality store where we sell you a story 20 pages at a time every MONTH for 4 bucks a pop.

There is a reason why trades in bookstores worked so well
>>
>>85572333
>>85572361
Funny, here in Italy Marvel's publisher makes excellent paper while DC's is more delicate and often full of printing errors, yet the latter usually costs 20-30 cents more
>>
>>85572434
That because a 2 hours movie delivers more a year than a 19 pages comic delivers a month.
>>
File: nope.png (406KB, 525x338px) Image search: [Google]
nope.png
406KB, 525x338px
>>85572482
>movie delivers more

They never have. I don't understand what you mean by that
>>
>>85572434
Movies don't need commitment. Sure, it's a pain to wait a year or two, but it's not like you put your life on hold for it. We got shit to do, and when the movies out, it's out and we're done with it. No commitment.
>>
>>85572434
People have hard enough time to tune in every week for a tv show, instead of watching on Netflix or torrenting the whole thing later. We just want all there is, right the hell now.
>>
>>85572268
The only comics people would be encouraged to read by seeing superhero movies are Big 2, so presumably they pick up an issue or two, realize everything Marvel and DC publish is garbage, and give up on the medium altogether.

Seriously its incredible how when a Big 2 title is okay, you fanboys blow up like "OH MY GOD BATMAN IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS A MID-TIER INDIE TITLE RIGHT NOW! MY BATMAN DOLL PURCHASES ARE JUSTIFIED! MARLEL BTFO!"
>>
>>85572545

You could wait for trades or even pick up trades of completed story arcs if you prefer to binge read

normalfags won't even bother to do that though. It has nothing to do with a waiting period.
>>
>>85572351
Blaming normies for everything won't fix your sad life, anonz
>>
File: tips fedora.gif (3MB, 350x295px) Image search: [Google]
tips fedora.gif
3MB, 350x295px
>>85572560
>>
>>85572569

Observing their patterns of behavior is not "blaming them for everything"

quit being so sensitive
>>
>>85572567
>binge read
And again, the people who matter the most to the big two don't read.
>>
You can't find comics easily. I can go anywhere and find a Game Stop or a Target that sells video games. But comics? You need to go to a comic book store, and those are hard to find.
>>
>>85572588

Yeah. That's kind of what I meant with the second half of my post

you could serve this shit up on a silver platter or however would be most convenient for them but they would still never read it

My best friend, he said he loved Batman so much, and he wanted to "get into" some DC books, so I took him to the comics store one day and recommended Dark Knight Returns, because I think that's a great self-contained story and it's in a trade paperback so it should be simple enough to read. He never even finished it. People don't want to read, it's too much of a hassle or something
>>
>>85572369
That's what they said about Westerns and slashers anon.
>>
>>85572631
Books just aren't live-action and people don't move. It takes a talent to make a comic book truly exhilarating with just text and still pictures.

I love comics, but I gotta admit that seeing people movie and do cool stuff in live-action is the thing. Also the performances are so different than what you can get out a comic book.
>>
File: 1421265257388.png (12KB, 560x407px) Image search: [Google]
1421265257388.png
12KB, 560x407px
>>85572646
>Westerns and slashers

both are still being made
>>
>>85572511
The movies offer a complete story with a beginning, middle, and end written by genuinely talented professional writers held in high enough esteem to be trusted with hundreds of millions in potential loss or revenue.

The comics provide an incoherent eternal second act in 20 page teaser doses that never comes to any meaningful conclusion written by random people from the internet and aging manchildren.

So anon, which would you say delivers more?
>>
You can't find comic books easily. Also, there aren't many aimed at kids under 13. So people watch cartoons and movies but never pick up a comic book.
>>
>>85572579
Yeah I'm the fedoralord for not reading your children's funnybooks. Whatever helps you sleep at night ;)
>>
>>85572560
Blaming cape fans for the fact nobody likes what you do is just fucking stupid and it reeks of entitlement. Stop.
>>
>>85572665
Yet the fads that made them the primary genres in Hollywood for years are long dead. Do you honestly not see the distinction between a superhero movie being made once in a blue moon throughout the 20th century and the massive superhero fad starting in 2008 where half the shit in the cinema is superheroes? Do you really not perceive that?
>>
File: 1468186638980.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1468186638980.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>85572673
>genuinely talented professional writers

nice ruse
>>
>>85572696
>the bullies are just jealous!
I bet you heard that a lot as a kid, anon.
>>
>>85572268
hmmmm let me see
Movie cost 6.00 - 2 hours entertainment
Comic cost 4.99 - 5-10 minutes entertainment

Also Marvel has gone full SJW/Tumblr and is alienating the core fanbase more and more
>>
>>85572737
>the core fanbase

You mean those people who are buying their books and keeping them in business?
>>
>>85572728
Nobody likes what you like. Nobody will ever read it. You're lower than cape fans, anon.
Lower.
>>
>>85572719
I'll take competent, but formulaic plots over [Unsolicited opinions about Israel] any day fampai :)

Of course I don't actually waste my life watching all this cape crap, so its a moot point.
>>
>>85572786
I read what I read because I enjoy it. Not so that I can be part of some "fandom" to assuage the pain of having no friends.
>>
>>85572469
This. The model might have worked at a time where comics were on newsstand racks and in stores and cost a couple cents, now they're expensive and mostly sold in specialty stores.
Trades are doing fine, they have the same problems all print media has, but I think I read somewhere that comics even sell a little better than other print media.

And apart from that, the movies attract, well, casual moviegoers who watch all the big blockbusters, and aren't even concerned with picking up comics.
>>
>>85572737
>Also Marvel has gone full SJW/Tumblr and is alienating the core fanbase more and more

Not just Marvel dumbass. DC does it just as much. Also if the "core" fanbase is abandoning it, then they're no longer the core fanbase. Which makes your statement redundant now doesn't it?
>>
>>85572804
gotten to
>>
>>85572268
Reading is hard, man.
>>
>>85572737
>alienating the core fanbase more and more
I don't know if you know this, but the fanbase has genuinely been abandoning the medium for quite some time. Marvel's SJW phase was an attempt to get a new one since people were starting to give less shits about the medium anyway.
>>
>readingisforfaggot.jpg
>>
>>85572827
Hahaha nah. I used to get all assblasted when it was pointed out that I had bad taste back when I was a cape-reading teen just like you are now. Hopefully the real estate in your head I'm now inhabiting rent-free will lead you to broaden your horizons and discover more like I did.
I troll because I care about you anon. You're my battered woman.
>>
>>85572631
I think TDRK might have been a bit too cerebral for your friend. Maybe you should've gotten him Everybody Poops or The Hungry Caterpillar.
>>
>>85572268
Because the publishers do not value comics much. Films are considered a more prestigious medium and make more money, while comics are disposable funnybooks where three consecutive issues of a book can be unreadable because of crossovers.
>>
>>85572881
>TDRK
TDKR*
>>
>>85572887
>unreadable because of crossovers.

what did he mean by this?

MCU is unwatchable because of Avengers movies. Stupid fucking crossover, it'll never make 1 billion dollars
>>
>>85572866
>typing all that
>not ass blasted

Sure, child.
>>
>>85572831
Chicken or egg

The fanbase started drifting away so Marvels plan is to puch MORE away with SJW bullshit hoping to replace their existing shrinking fanbase with a fanabse that doesn't buy comics?
that is /v/ tier thinking
>>
>>85572805
>comics were on newsstand racks and in stores and cost a couple cents, now they're expensive
>what is inflation?
>>
>>85572268
I am glad anime and manga will never become mainstream as capeshit. Fanservice and lolis will keep normalfags away
>>
>>85573250
I found an interesting blog post about this: https://theawl.com/how-much-more-do-comic-books-cost-today-bd63e09c48df#.he0lw8k15

It's a few years old but fact is, comic single issues are expensive even if you consider inflation. It's only one factor, availability is another, but it does make a difference.
>>
>>85572268
But getting into comics is so haaard!
>>
>>85572268
Because comics have become a hobby first and foremost. There was a time when the whole range of DC and Marvel comics used to available from any shop that sold newspapers and magazines, meaning that comics were pretty much everywhere: newsagents, greengrocers, chemists, hairdressers, and so on. They were visble wherever kids with pocket money or a parent they could bug could get at them. Consequently, pretty much all kids used to read comics. These kids didn't think of themselves as comic-book readers, though. They didn't identify as hobbyists or part of a community. They just read comics.

Now, you're lucky if you see as many as three titles on sale outside of designated comic shops. These are hobby shops, and consequently give off the same hobbyists-only vibe that all such shops have, no matter how friendly the staff are. In much the same way that Games Workshop outlets are frequented exclusively by tabletop wargame hobbyists, comic-book shops are the haunt of a clientele of comic-book readers who think of themselves as belonging to their own special community, complete with insider/outsider dynamics. Consequently, today's comics are marketed the way any other hobby-specific commodity is marketed: at an audience that is assumed to be small but committed.
>>
Comic companies keep trying to "Synergize" and it doesn't work. Constant relaunches and massive, long-term events do nothing but confuse and alienate potential new readers since they won't know if they're jumping into the middle of something. Potential new readers coming in from the movies and shows want to see, say, Tony Stark being Iron Man, but how do you think they'd feel when they open an Iron Man comic and see Doom or a teenage black girl in the armor instead?

Also, comics aren't cost-effective anymore, so most readers wait for trades or pirate. No one wants to pay $4-5 an issue for barely 20 pages of content plus an ad on every other page.
>>
floppies are a shit medium I usually just buy paperbacks/hardbacks that I want anyway.

also, do OP account for digital sales?
>>
>>85573775
>Constant relaunches and massive, long-term events do nothing but confuse and alienate potential new readers since they won't know if they're jumping into the middle of something.
They also piss off those of us who were enjoying a perfectly good story arc that had to be put on hold or jettisoned because because the EIC mandated that every title must participate in what boils down to a twenty-issue retread of the story where one superhero has to fight another before they put aside their differences to take down the common enemy.
>>
>>85573795
Digital comics have the advantage that they're cheaper, but they don't really overcome this crucial problem: >>85573672
>>
>>85572268
Movies: A multi-million dollar budget enterprise, with charismatic actors, special effects, fight scenes, and great music, all in a noncommittal two hour story experience that can include your friends and family, appeals to all ages and comes with popcorn.

Comics: A long term commitment to gimmicky story lines, no movement or acting, just static images, and no sound. Can't read with friends and family. Alienates kids with mature stories, alienates adults with censored swears and cartoon violence. Popcorn butter ruins pages.

Is it really such a mystery why one is more popular?
>>
>>85573373
They are mainstream, just not in USA.
And even then you have Pokemon and the stuff on CN/AS.
>>
>>85573139
>the child is the one not reading literal 4 babbies books
>>
>>85573139
>>85573943
Love is in the air.
>>
>>85572268
Because people like movies as a medium and generally don't like comics as a medium. The genre and topic is kinda irrelevant.

Just because someone likes sci-fi movies doesn't mean they'll like sci-fi games if they don't also like video games.
>>
>>85573898
Of course, it did used to be the case that comicd carried a self-contained stories, or stories that lasted for two issues at most.

Mind you, that was also before "decompression" came to be viewed as a good thing rather than what it so transparently is—a means of selling the reader less story content per month for more money.
>>
>>85572887
>thinly veiled indiean post

You're probably one those retards that thinks that Hellboy isn't a cape book either.
>>
>>85573373
>Fanservice and lolis will keep normalfags away
But at the same time they'll keep anime and manga from being good, it's a double edged sword.
>>
>>85574093
That's the paradox, if its good then normalfags will love it, but if normalfags love it it then it can't be good.
>>
>>85572907
Its not the same man. The movies do it like they did with the original Secret Wars (which is the right way to do a crossover). Secret Wars was its own self-contained series that you could read and enjoy without ever having read any other title. The series that crossed over in Secret Wars were not interrupted. A reader could ignore Secret Wars and easily just continue reading the one or two series they like.

That's how the movies do it. You can watch just the 3 Captain America or Iron Man movies and get a pretty good, comprehensible story. You can watch The Avengers without any context and understand and enjoy it.

Modern comics aren't like that. Series continuity is impinged upon constantly by external events that are baffling to anyone who hasn't read like 20 other titles.
>>
>>85574130
>Secret Wars
>read and enjoy
Let's not get carried away, Anon.
>>
How do we make comics easier to buy? Comic book stores are so hard to find in America.
>>
>>85574185
I'm waiting on each publisher to offer their entire catalogs online for a flat rate. The time will come when publishers will be more concerned about their survival more than the survival of the LCS.
>>
>>85572268
>Why?

Because the vast majority of people don't want to have to read up on upwards of 70 years of publication to catch up to today. Also a good chunk of that required reading simply isn't available. And a single issue of that chunk is probably worth more than what an average individual person would make in their lifetime.

It's simply easier for the majority to get into these characters through film. And because of that, it's much more profitable than comics.
>>
>>85574269
>Also a good chunk of that required reading simply isn't available.
Being a Claremont collector is suffering.
>>
>>85572673
Genuinely talented writers lol
>>
>>85572268
Trades are doing great
>>
>>85572268
The thing about superhero comics is - it was never about the enthusiasm for the medium, just an obsessive love for the characters. They were comics because superheroes were too nieche for movies. Now that they actually are movies and television series, whats the point of picking up the comics?
>>
>>85572569
>he recognized himself in anon's post
>>
>>85574185
Slowly phase out floppies, which are an outdated model, and focus on trades and digital. As it's been mentioned a couple times in here already, trades are generally selling well.
>>
>>85574269
>Because the vast majority of people don't want to have to read up on upwards of 70 years of publication to catch up to today

This is the real problem for people to start reading comics. Not the huge history, but this retarded idea that you actually have to start all the way back there to get what's going on. Just find something recent and start at the #1. It's that easy.
>>
>>85574432
I feel the same honestly. Granted I'd rather watch a cartoon, I loved EMH so much. ;_;
>>
>>85572560
Most indie stuff is hipster garbage though. If you honestly think the majority of it is some intellectual literature, you need to rethink your definition of intellectual.
>>
>>85572779
Yeah. So not SJWs, or feminists, or Tumblrettes, etc.
>>
>>85572866

Just stop, dude.
>>
>>85572268
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but to my knowledge, there actually has been an uptick in comic sales since the movie fad started. I think they were worse off before. Comics as a medium will never draw the crowds that movies do, but they're not doing THAT badly considering that print is struggling anyway.
>>
>>85573898
>Can't read with friends and family
Bullshit. Have you never gotten a bunch of buddies together to read comics?
>>
>>85573928
But not as mainstream as capeshit
>>
>>85574093
Well i can still find anime and manga that i enjoy. And anime does have alot shit but that goes with everything like comics too.
>>
>>85574114
So everything what normalfags like are good? Because they really arent.
>>
Movies are easier to enjoy than comics, and they're more socially acceptable
>>
>>85572646
Slashers are still made and the only reason Westerns aren't is because they don't appeal to chinks.
>>
>>85574546
I'd take pretentious indie garbage over THE JOKER IS TERRORIZING PEOPLE IN GOTHAM CITY *AGAIN* desu
>>
File: 1301461116967.jpg (27KB, 445x445px) Image search: [Google]
1301461116967.jpg
27KB, 445x445px
>>85572268
Comic books are boring vehicles to shill for the big money makers, movies. Core audiences (young men) have abandoned them for video games, a much better form of wish fulfillment. They market to young women, who don't read comics and never really have, aside from a few. Single issues cost upwards of four dollars but are easily accessible digitally for free. Paid digital comics are for casuals who want to waste their money and have nothing to show for it (so the digital numbers are never too high). Most of the money in the print industry now is in graphic novels, of which there is an overabundance, not to mention they are carried heavily in B&N, which is at Death's Door.
>>
>>85572268
honestly think western cape comics should just try semi-copying the south east asian models along side normal production

> weekly/biweekly releases of mobile/tablet ebook designed comics on non-proprietary apps at the impulse by pricepoint with yearly trades

>biweekly/monthly comics collections containing several comics in one magazine (with some other content) at newsagents/newstands/grocery magazine sections/airports/trainstations at a higher price point (like $10US for 7-15 10-20 page comics) at a lower print quality (black and white, maybe one colour spot per issue rotating, some get colour in trades

because people honestly WANT to read cape comics but a lot cant because its either too expensive or REALLY HARD TO FIND/kind of bad quality online
>>
>>85572268

>Love pre-2008 superhero films
>Still haven't seen Iron Man despite people praising it and other stuff like Avengers, etc
>Just don't care, I look at them and think "Why?"
>Always had a good love of comics in general

Am I just not the target audience for the MCU or something? I can't seem to get myself to care for those things but I love watching pre-cinematice universe superhero movies
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.