[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come he's in so much memorable stuff EXCEPT the comics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: ScarescowFaceDCAU.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ScarescowFaceDCAU.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
How come he's in so much memorable stuff EXCEPT the comics? Why isn't Scarecrow given a better treatment given his horror potential?
>>
Because cause Superhero comic book writer cannot write Horror and even they could it woulld be wasted on the audience.
>>
>>85525628
Frankly, Horror is not a genre well suited to comic books. A lot of Horror is in pacing, carefully managing what information the audience has and in getting the audience to use their imagination. Shows/Films have greater control over pacing and can limit what you're able to see by only showing glimpses, and books can give you details that anchor you in the moment like smells, feelings or sounds, using your imagination against you.

Comic books can be examined at leisure, like a book, but can't detail as intimately as a book. Comics can show you scary things, but it can't control how long you have to react to them.

Sure, there are some successful works, but it's going against the format you're working with.
>>
Cause,and I say this as a scarecrow fan, he sucks in the comics.
>>
>>85525576

They Should have kept him as a yellow lantern.
>>
>>85526051
why did you post a pic of oogie boogie?
>>
File: starscream_idiot.jpg (30KB, 315x236px) Image search: [Google]
starscream_idiot.jpg
30KB, 315x236px
>>85526099
>>
>>85525831
I disagree, I think Comics can communicate Horror quite well, it's just takes a different breed of writer and artist to do it.
>>
>>85525576
He hardly gets anything to do in the comics either.
Outside of that one DCAU comic, there's really only like one Scarecrow story that people just tell over and over. Nobody seems to want to do anything with the guy besides have him spook Batman before he out will his fear and punches a resolution into the plot.
>>
>>85526153
are we really going to have to start using "/s" like we're on fucking reddit because you are too retarded to know what jokes are?
>>
>>85526579
Often seems like it.
>>
>>85526169
what is your favorite horror comic book?
>>
>>85526579
>>85526614
It was a shit joke, that's why I called him an idiot. Be butt hurt if you'd like.
>>
>>85525576
There's only like two different stories you can do with the guy. His motives are too basic.
>>
>>85527143
change his motive so he is trying to get a pyramid scheme set up and uses fear to get and keep his rubes in line

it writes itself
>>
>>85525576
because he ha always the same gimmick

>lol I gas you
>oh god I am scared!
>repeat

at least other villains are easier to use
>>
File: tumblr_n6ba2jlctd1r5uz1po1_500.gif (992KB, 500x290px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6ba2jlctd1r5uz1po1_500.gif
992KB, 500x290px
>>85525576
They should make him a very good performer and a master at planning and setting traps, with access to information about everybody on Gotham's phobias. So instead of having that predictable gas that makes evwybody scawed (that shit gets old FAST, tell that to the people who designed TNBA's Scarecrow), having him really understand what makes people afraid on a personal level.

So, for example, Johnathan Crane, a respected therapist, psychiatrist or whatever, has access to that information and a reputation for being a very kind and understanding person. But deep down he holds some kind of grudge, has a weird agenda, a point to prove, a grievance with someone, likes to make important and powerful people squirm, whatever motivation ir takes for him to decide to get in a halloween costume and frighten people he dislikes. So, via donning a nightmare inducing costume and setting up some props and special effects, releasing some animals, smells, kidnapping or abducting someone or whatever takes to get that person scared, he pretends he's some sort of mythological creature and scares Gotham shitless.

Make him an actual scary and devious villain instead of a scorned nerdy scaredy cat hiding behind the nth madness-inducing gas Gotham has suffered, he deserves it.
>>
>>85525576
It is hard to write good horror.
>>
>>85526051
>>85526051
To do what? Make scary fear toxin light?

Yeah right.
>>
>>85526689
Not that anon you're replying, but Serious House on Serious Earth creeped the fuck out of me.
>That beetle scene
>That dollhouse flashback
>>
>>85526689
Witchdoctor
>>
>>85527813
That would definitely be a smart approach at the character. Well thought, anon.
>>
>>85527813
I had the idea of Edward zing a being a police consultant in a manner similar to Light Yagami and the task force in Death Note, while he orchestrates everything going at that point in the series, he'd also inadvertently create The Joker.
>>
Snyder's Joker pulled the horror theme way better than Scarecrow could ever do
>>
>>85526051
Spiders, scorpions, and even ants are creepy, but I will never be spooked by earthworms or pillbugs.
>>
>>85525576
>How come he's in so much memorable stuff EXCEPT the comics?
Two things not mentioned so far.
First off, Scarecrow's a character that's incredibly shallow. Most of the attempts to make him good are messy because there's not really much to work with. He can be memorable in the shows and movies where he only has to appear once or twice, but in comics he cannot support a hundred different Scarecrow stories.
Secondly he mostly sucks in those too, seriously his movie appearance was lame and his non-Jeffrey Combs episodes in BTAS were low points to be generous about it.
>>
The only comic that ever spooked me was that wooden doll extra chapter in ibitsu
>>
>>85526169
There's plenty of great Horror Manga out there, I love Junji Ito's shit
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.