[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you are excited for the new Young Animal stuff?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 14

File: dc's young animal.jpg (48KB, 600x430px) Image search: [Google]
dc's young animal.jpg
48KB, 600x430px
How many of you are excited for the new Young Animal stuff?

That little Fanzine they put out was pretty nice.
>>
I'm most excited for Doom Patrol, and Cave Carson for the Tom Scioli Super Powers back-ups.
>>
>>85506955
>That little Fanzine they put out was pretty nice.
Wait, they did? Shit, I must have missed out.
>>
>>85507610
I just got it on Saturday from my LCS.

It's really 90's fanzine-esque, in a way that strokes my retro loving dick.

I'm sure you can still find it
>>
>>85507632
Thanks, Anon.
I'll check out my LCS.
>>
>>85506955
>>85507610
>>85507632
It's less so a fanzine and more a take on Who's Who, but it still gets the job done.

I digged it. A shame DC doesn't do it more often, though.
>>
>>85507689
>A shame DC doesn't do it more often, though.
I'm guessing it was almost entirely Gerard Way's idea. Seems like the kind of thing he'd like to do.

>>85507672
No problem
>>
>>85507718
True, true, but I could also see DC putting out these undersized mini-issues with Who's Who information as a means of catching readers up to speed on post-Rebirth statuses while not having to spend tons of money on printing full issues. Just release them week by week in multiple parts (Batman, Part One/Two/etc., Green Lantern, Part One/Two/etc., etc.).
>>
I'm pretty stoked for Doom Patrol.
Cave Carson & Mother Panic sound like they might be interesting too.

Even more than the announced books, I'm hyped for whatever comes next. I like the idea of this new imprint.
Would definitely love to see something like Animal Man (Though that probably won't happen since he's drifted into DC proper) or maybe Manhunter.
>>
>>85507822
So like the 8 page, DCYou sneak peak things?
>>
>>85507871
Sort of, but not quite.
It would be the Who's Who profiles in the Young Animal freebie, but for the main DCU.
>>
>>85507950
Is this what y'all are talking about?
(If you don't want to click on Bleeding cool, it's just black and white profile pages of the Young animal books characters)
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/08/04/warning-dont-search-for-young-animal-on-ebay/
>>
>>85508025
Fuck it, I'll just post them since I can't find actual scans anywhere
>>
File: s-l1600-1-600x960.jpg (193KB, 600x960px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600-1-600x960.jpg
193KB, 600x960px
>>85508047
>>
File: s-l1600-3-600x960.jpg (184KB, 600x960px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600-3-600x960.jpg
184KB, 600x960px
>>85508062
>>
File: 4n5ok5.jpg (274KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
4n5ok5.jpg
274KB, 800x1067px
>>
>>85508025
That's the one.
It's being given away at your local LCS.
>>
File: 1ippf7.jpg (284KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1ippf7.jpg
284KB, 800x1067px
>>
>>85508062
Oh shit, is that Mr. Bones?

Wonder how much we should read into who's on this cover.
>>
File: 3njpx2.jpg (249KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
3njpx2.jpg
249KB, 800x1067px
>>85508122
[Spoiler]I typically just pirate shit on release day and only buy trades from amazon, because my LCS a shit[/spoiler]
>>
File: 2z3pm4.jpg (265KB, 800x1067px) Image search: [Google]
2z3pm4.jpg
265KB, 800x1067px
>>85508194
jfc. I haven't goofed on a spoiler tag in years
>>
>>85508125
>6'0''
Damn
>>
File: s-l1600-6.jpg (294KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600-6.jpg
294KB, 1600x1200px
>>
File: s-l1600-4.jpg (219KB, 1233x900px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600-4.jpg
219KB, 1233x900px
this one already looks like a replacement for Cassfags
>>
>>85506955
I've abandoned floppies in favor of pirating as they come out then buying the trades cheap, but I'm going to buy every goddamned thing coming out of Young Animal.
>>
>>85508194
You can always just walk into your LCS, find and snag a copy, and then walk out before the qt3.14 behind the counter says "What up." In and out.
>>
I'm taking the Hanna-Barbera stuff off of my pull list, so I'll probably pick up the first few issues of each and see what I like.

Also picking up that Deadman comic cuz fuck that sounds good.
>>
>>85508286
>but I'm going to buy every goddamned thing coming out of Young Animal.
Agreed.

Think I'll give everything the three episode/three issue test, but so far it all looks fantastic
>>
God I hope having Way behind it, and so passionately, gives this thing some legs.
>>
>>85506955
I'm excited for Mother Panic because it's the first new character to have a title in the DCU in forever. The other stuff I don't really care, I've been there and done that with the other stuff. Doom Patrol was at the "okay DC, just stop trying" stage about two failed relaunches ago.
>>
So what is it about Young Animal that separates it from Rebirth?
>>
>>85508499
>Doom Patrol was at the "okay DC, just stop trying" stage about two failed relaunches ago.
Say what you will, but I kinda trust that Gerard Way knows what he's doing
>>
File: CpNV3-qUEAAYPm-.jpg (256KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
CpNV3-qUEAAYPm-.jpg
256KB, 1200x900px
>>85508470
This is why I'm rooting for Young Animal more than anything. I like how excited he is for it, and I feel like having more creators in the industry who actually love the stories they want to tell will do nothing but good things for comics.

>>85508333
>q.t
this is a very recent picture from their twitter page. They're just very expensive and I don't like all their recommendations they try and push on people. The staff seems nice enough but being too shy to talk to a cute girl that's into comics definitely is not an issue.
>>
>>85508500
It's specifically trying to recapture the vibe of the early/proto-Vertigo titles.
>>
>>85508540
https://twitter.com/AustinBooks
>Austin, TX
Well now you have NO excuse for not getting out and going about. Gamble a stamp, man.
>>
>>85508612
Never read Vertigo before. Is that a line where they pretty much say to make whatever you want, try something out?
>>
>>85508656
>Is that a line where they pretty much say to make whatever you want, try something out?

Pretty much, its DC's answer to the success of Image so they had Vertigo as the place where they let the creators do their own stuff.
>>
>>85508656
It started in the mid 80s as a dark fantasy/horror corner of the DCU featuring a bunch of obscure characters written by mostly British writers. In 93 they put the Vertigo name on it because they wanted a branding for this stuff since dark comics were getting more and more popular. After that they started putting out creator owned shit since that was getting popular too.
>>
>>85508734
>>85508759
Neat, this gets me excited. Not only for Young Animal, but because I've also got some classic Vertigo titles in my backlog.
>>
>>85508540
>This is why I'm rooting for Young Animal more than anything. I like how excited he is for it, and I feel like having more creators in the industry who actually love the stories they want to tell will do nothing but good things for comics.
Absolutely. Way - and everyone else involved - seem legitimately passionate about all of this
>>
>>85508781
>>85508759
>>85508734
Vertigo's older stuff is pretty rad. It's actually what got me into comics. But I'm kind of curious what's going to happen with it in the future since this totally feels like a replacement since Vertigo doesn't get much attention outside of that newer Sandman story.

>>85508642
I do get out doe. I'm not actually sure if it's possible to be antisocial in Austin, plus aside from browsing 4chan for comicbook stuff, I'm normie-core UT kid as fuck bruv.
I'm just not a fan of that comic shop and have only had negative experiences from the one in my home town, so I just don't bother with them anymore.
>>
>>85508225
>Space Case
That's her hero name? Come on, Way.
>>
>>85508025
>don't search for young animal on ebay or else it'll show you a comic book magazine that actually came before DC's YA

Oh god how retarded they can be. It's tha place that published Berserk for gods sake
>>
>>85508898
I think it's cute
>>
Yes all of them. I have every possible cover for every available pre-order ordered.
>>
>>85508854
>But I'm kind of curious what's going to happen with it in the future since this totally feels like a replacement since Vertigo doesn't get much attention outside of that newer Sandman story.
Vertigo is going to basically an Image-style creator imprint. Young Animal is basically going to be new "classic" Vertigo, where it's sort of connected to the greater DC universe and uses characters owned by DC.

http://www.comicsbeat.com/dc-co-publishers-didio-and-lee-dish-on-vertigo-sales-more/

>What is the definition of a Vertigo book now?

>Lee: It’s the home for stand-alone IP that really focus on genre or content, so non-superhero. We’re looking for things that take genre and redefine it in ways that are surprising or innovative. So if you look at a book like Survivor’s Club, it’s the idea that all these people who are survivors from horror movies get together and realize there was a method behind all the madness; that they survived for a reason and they band together and form this team. It’s a really interesting take on that genre and a way of creating a new team of characters in a way that hasn’t been done before. That’s garnered a lot of interest and media. It’s really finding the balance between creating books that find success as books themselves and find properties that have potentially life beyond the printed page in media. So that’s the mission.
>>
>>85509033
So this is the new, on the outskirts of what is canon to DC like Sandman and Hellblazer?
>>
>>85508898
It's like you're against fun or something.
>>
>>85508962
>>85508025

I wonder if Way and co. knew about Young Animal before this.

Like, is the name a reference? Or did they clearly not know, and when they undeniably ran into evidence of the JP Young Animal, did they not care?
>>
>>85509117
Yes.
>>
>>85509146
And then like Lucifer and Hellblazer it will eventually go off on its own thing that isn't canon at all?
>>
>>85509117
Yes.
Young Animal will be mature-type books that happen within the DC universe, and Vertigo will now be creator stuff (though I imagine not creator owned, since the books will still be published by DC?) that doesn't tie to the DC Universe at all.
>>
>>85508854
Austin Books and Comics is pretty fucking friendly

but if you want something less hardcore comix, then try the Dragon's Lair on Anderson Lane

>ATX metro fistbump
>>
>>85509212
It seems like they're going to try and keep Young Animal closer to DC proper than Vertigo was, what with a book set in Gotham right out of the gate.
>>
>>85509247
Vertigo started off in DC canon and some books themselves like Lucifer and Hellblazer started canon and slowly just left canon by the end.
>>
>>85509241
They were definitely friendly the few times I went in, nothing against the staff themselves. I just didn't like that they throw out the tumblr/adventure time/etc type shit at practically every person who walks in. I bought the first trade of Saga there and the girl wouldn't stop trying to tell me how much I would *love* Wicked & Divine as well as Young Avengers.

I do like how casual Austin Books & Comics is though, I always see regular people there. I've only passed by Dragon's Lair but it looks way more shut-in friendly, but that might just be because of how that old ass shopping center looks.
>>
>>85508104
>Boogeyworm
Glorious.

>>85508194
>This kicked off a brief fad of Metan interest in the planet Earth.
Glorious.
>>
>>85509143
If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say yes. Sp//dr was his, wasn't it? And it was full of anime references. It isn't a longshot saying he knew the name of the magazine that publishes Berserk.
>>
>>85509531
>It isn't a longshot saying he knew the name of the magazine that publishes Berserk.
Fair point.
>>
I'm sure it was their intention, but I'm almost definitely buying 2 of the Doom Patrols - one to keep the burrito sticker on, and one to take it off
>>
>>85509475
Dragon's Lair caters to the gaming/miniatures crowd hardcore as their main business, but they have shop cats, that's a bonus

and lol, yeah, that's a super-vintage shopping center, especially the Conan's over on the side
>>
File: frodo.png (214KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
214KB, 400x399px
Why don't DC just focus on saving Vertigo?
>>
File: making waffles.jpg (90KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
making waffles.jpg
90KB, 500x313px
Do you think Way would accept my pitch for Amethyst even though I don't have anything published?
>>
>>85510199
They are. That's the reason why all the exclusive contracts they've given out the past year have a Vertigo clause in them.
>>
>>85510199
They tried that, they launched like 10 new series last year. they all failed
>>
>>85510219
I am now curious too if I could just up and contact Way with an idea for a comic without any writing experience.
>>
>>85510199
Vertigo is old and busted.
Young Animal is the new hotness.

From a marketing standpoint it makes sense.
They clearly want two different imprints for two different things. One for independent, creator stories. One for "mature" DC universe set stuff.

Vertigo keeps the familiar name recognition for comic fans to help get attention for brand new titles.

Young Animal is totally new, but gets the ad bump because "Look it takes place in Gotham! Check it out if you want heavier stories adjacent to the characters you already know!"
>>
>>85510247
Details
>>
>>85506955
>excited
Not remotely. Magical Madness Girl Shade intrigues me, but that's it.
>>
>>85510219
>>85510316
With the way that DC has said in the past that they are a goal to be achieved rather than a place to start, I doubt it.
>>
>>85510199

Same reason you don't fix the sight of a blind 14 year old dog and euthanize them instead
>>
>>85510219
Omg. I,ll buy 20!!
>>
Shade scares me
the writer is like a protypical geek girl who hasn't written anything trippy or fun before
>>
>>85510722
I really want it to be good because I like the character design and idea, and the little blurb in the who's who.

Here's to hoping that it's not horrible.
>>
>>85510272
Red Thorn and Clean Room are still going, plus Sheriff of Babylon is supposed to get at least 12 more issues

Only 3/4 of the books failed!
>>
>>85509123
Eeeeh. It's just a pun on her name. It's not fun.
>>
>>85510754
I wanna write Shade
life's unfair
>>
>>85510758
Weren't some of them minis?
I remember Cooke's was.

Ah, Cooke...
>>
>>85510373
It's just included every time they announce an exclusive

>After an incredibly successful Comic-Con International: San Diego, DC Entertainment has even more good news to share with fans as writer Tim Seeley has reached an agreement to create content solely for the company’s DC and Vertigo imprints.

>DC Entertainment continues to expand its roster of top name talent, announcing today that it has reached agreements with writer Steve Orlando, along with artists Evan “Doc” Shaner and Jesus Merino to create comic book content solely for the publisher’s DC Comics and Vertigo imprints.

probably more but those are the only two links I had handy
>>
>>85510722
Under Way's guiding hand, I remain optimistic.
>>
>>85510882
I was a fan of MCR as a young teen, and then totally hated on them when I grew up. I never once trusted that Way could make a good comic when I heard that he was moving from music to comic books.

When I finally got over myself I was surprised beyond belief by how much I liked his works.

I saw someone on /co/ describe it perfectly once: the quality of his comic work is inversely proportional to the quality of his music.

tl;dr
I agree
>>
>>85510952
he only has those two volumes of Umbrella Academy and Sp//dr right?
I'm not certain where all this confidence in him comes from

pluls those anons above said he probably wouldn't hire me so ehhhhhhhh idk about this guy
>>
>>85511004
Umbrella Academy, Sp//dr, and The Fabulous Killjoys

All are real good
>>
>>85510952
Well don't forget, becoming the rich and famous frontman of MCR basically happened by accident.

Young Animal is what he's wanted to do for pretty much his entire adult life.
>>
>>85511044
>Well don't forget, becoming the rich and famous frontman of MCR basically happened by accident.
What do you mean?
>>
>>85510858
Yeah, Jacked was a mini too and so were a few of the others

I think only Survivors Club really got cut short
>>
>>85511122
one of them was a 12 issue mini that got cut to 6
>>
I read John's Doom Patrol just now and it made me want to die from how badly it handled the team. I need Way's more than ever.
>>
>>85511200
Yeah that era of Byrne was a mess, Blood of the Demon was equally terrible. Both are his attempts to "fix" the characters since he doesn't think anyone has done them right since their creators, which is funny because Arnold Drake said Morrison was the only writer after him to do the DP right
>>
>>85511266
it's so Byrne to waste pagespace and ink on minutiae that have nothing to do with telling a good story but which lets him jack off about his ideas of continuity and what it should be
>>
>>85511285
>have nothing to do with telling a good story but which lets him jack off about his ideas of continuity and what it should be

See also X-Men the Hidden Years
>>
>>85511266
I was talking about their two-issue appearance in John's Justice League a couple years back. That shit was painful. Mostly with how he goes from 0-60 on how much of a shithead Caulder is before the thing can even start. Larry's only real action is to hide off to the side and ask Aquaman to kill him, while Rita has no personality beyond falling apart at the slightest provocation. It's a mess that reads like Johns just skimmed the wikipedia page for the characters and thought "how can I make these guys bizarre and strange without actually trying at all?"
>>
>>85511469
Johns is Bendis
>>
>>85511469
Ah okay, I thought you meant the John Byrne run. I forgot Geoff Johns ever did anything with them
>>
I don't know...
I'm excited just for doom patrol.
And a little sad for the death of vertigo. Some anons say that dc is saving vertigo too, but i don't think so. Important editors got away, all that talk about "mature dc universe" ended and then it is just a creator owned imprint.

And now they come with this nu-vertigo thing. I understand the logic, but still...
>>
>>85511469
I wonder if Way is just going to ignore this. Considering Johns ignores most of the shit he sets up in JL, I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.
>>
>>85512260
If anything I hope Way doesn't treat the Chief as horribly. I know Morrison's run left a pretty big scar the character's never recovered from, but I'd like to see him not be such a tremendous dick or manipulative asshole for once.
>>
>>85511071

Dude always wanted to be known for comics. They were his love and passion for years. Then 9/11 happened and Way decided to put comics on the back burner and focus on My Chemical Romance, because he felt that people would need music that could get their angst, fear, and anxiety out.

Turns out he was more right than he imagined.
>>
>>85512493
I didn't know any of that.

He's really not a bad guy. Quite the opposite, actualy.

And in a way, I guess you could say that having been made famous by his music allowed him the pull/the influence to finally get into the comic industry. It all worked out in the end.
>>
>>85512538

Yeah, I don't think his comic career would have happened like it did without being part of MCR. He might have ended up an indie comics darling, but the sad truth is that lots of good creators never really get a shot at the big time even if they bust their ass for it.

Then again, he was a Cartoon Network intern when 9/11 happened, so maybe he was always destined for /co/ related things.
>>
>>85511200
Did Byrne even do anything worthwhile at DC? Only his generations was good.
>>
>>85514343
He killed Terry Long.
Thread posts: 102
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.