[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just finished reading Morrison's Doom Patrol run. Weird

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

File: 6526_400x600.jpg (116KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
6526_400x600.jpg
116KB, 400x600px
I just finished reading Morrison's Doom Patrol run. Weird as fuck. What was up with that?

Doom Patrol thread?

There's a new one coming with Young Animal. Thoughts on that?
>>
Give the other runs a try, excepting kupperbeg and byrne
The DP alwats has been weird heros.
>>
>>85503712
I recently finished it as well. I loved it. I just started Pollacks run.
>>
The young animal Doom Patrol looks a little bad to me just due to how hard they are coasting off the Morrison run. If you haven't read the original Doom Patrol I highly suggest it.
>>
>>85503712
I'm surprised Morrison went weird crazy with it but didn't go down the meta fiction path.
>>
>>85504151
Which is why I love this but hate most other things he's written.
>>
>>85504151
This is why I hated this. It's both weirder and shallower than his other work. I've read almost all his other big 2 work and never got aound too it until recently and it really is just shit.
Everything up to after the Jack arc is good though.

Hell he wrote Kid Eternity during this time period and it was 1000x better.
>>
his doom patrol is almost entirely metafictional
>>
No Rita? No thanks.
>>
File: 1449950441494.jpg (46KB, 500x384px)
1449950441494.jpg
46KB, 500x384px
>>85505981
explain
>>
>>85504931
Oh fuck off Morrison's DP isn't shallow, it has great themes of self acceptance and dealing with mental/body issues, it's similar to Flex in that way.
>Hell he wrote Kid Eternity during this time period and it was 1000x better.
Oh, you just have shit taste.
>>
>>85506041
Metafiction is a literary device used self-consciously and systematically to draw attention to a work's status as an artifact. It poses questions about the relationship between fiction and reality, usually using irony and self-reflection. It can be compared to presentational theatre, which does not let the audience forget it is viewing a play; metafiction forces readers to be aware that they are reading a fictional work.
>>
>>85506125
Flex is also an order of magnitude better.
I'm telling you, DP is obnoxiously stupid for Grant Morrison standards.

Also, i'll bite- why is Kid Eternity bad?
>>
>>85506190
ok kiddo
Now explain how Doom Patrol does this or stop memeing.
>>
>>85506224
nobody owes you anything especially if this doesn't help you understand, im not here to hold your hand
>>
>>85506224
control+f Doom Patrol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metafictional_works
>>
File: 1470753525335.jpg (21KB, 431x455px) Image search: [Google]
1470753525335.jpg
21KB, 431x455px
>>85506268
So it doesn't and we're back to where we started. What a waste.
Why even engage me at all.
>>
File: aspect of the weed.png (360KB, 883x691px) Image search: [Google]
aspect of the weed.png
360KB, 883x691px
>>85506298
>wikipedia
>>
>>85503712
James Robinson said something about this in one of his rambling STARMAN essays, but I can't find the exact quote: he says Morrison originally told him he was hoping to do something like the original Doom Patrol, a mainstream superhero comic that would also be weird and edgy and cultish. But what he wound up doing was closer to the style that would later become Vertigo.

There were a couple of comics later that sort of split the difference between mainstream superhero comics and Vertigo comics, like Starman and Hitman. I think the closest Morrison came was with his X-Men run.
>>
File: Doom Patrol.jpg (70KB, 416x640px)
Doom Patrol.jpg
70KB, 416x640px
>>85504028
From what Way said he intends it to be a celebration of era Doom Patrol era. The Morrison is just because his writing style is very heavily influenced by Morrison's Doom Patrol to begin with.
>>85506020
Rita will probably show up later on. I think most DP writers like to use her because she and Mento are generally the least outright strange members of the original team, and the hardest to make fit the bizarre part of the whole thing. I know Giffen took her to some weird places by making her a blob of sentient gum in the shape of a human, but I've never been able to read that run myself.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.