[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you consider the cutoff date between "Classic/R

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (30KB, 451x326px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 451x326px
What do you consider the cutoff date between "Classic/Retro" and "Modern" cartoons?
>earlier

>1997
South Park, Angry Beavers, Johnny Bravo
>1998
Antz, CatDog, Powerpuff Girls
>1999
The Iron Giant, Family Guy, SpongeBob SquarePants
>2000
As Told By Ginger, Emperor's New Groove, Dora the Explorer (not a big year, huh)
>2001
Fairly Odd Parents, Shrek, Jimmy Neutron
>2002
Kim Possible, Codename KND, Lilo & Stitch
>2003
Billy and Mandy, Finding Nemo, Teenage Robot
>2004
The Incredibles, Danny Phantom, SpongeBob Movie
>2005
Madagascar, Camp Lazlo, Avatar:TLA
>2006
Cars, Class of 3000, Open Season
>2007
Ratatouille, Phineas and Ferb, God descended upon us in the form of Bee Movie
>later
Vote here: http://www.strawpoll.me/10996648
>>
Forgot to include The Simpsons Movie as part of 2007, but that's excusable, considering the masterpiece that is Bee Movie.
>>
Interesting topic, have a bump.
>>
Like automobile models, I'd say it's around 15 years before whatever the current date is.
>>
Personally, I like to use 9/11 as a cutoff point. Culture just took a hiatus after it. Maybe 2002, since there was still stuff in the pipe.
>>
>>85488064
I'd say 2000 is a nice cut off date and in a few years, you bump it up to probably 2007 or so.
>>
>>85488064
Well, for me I have four rather nebulous eras:
>Modern
2001-present

>Classic
is basically 1990-2000, this was the period I grew up watching TV and cartoons, and the final year was when things seemed to slowly go on the downslide.

>Retro
is 1960's-1989, a pretty long period but it contains a lot of the kitschy but charming things like Scooby Doo and the original transformers.

>Golden Age
The 1930's-1959, this is was when animation seemed to be picked it's pace and everything fell into place, giants walked the earth.
>>
>>85488064
1998, probably because all of your examples are dead now and have been for years. South Park is an outlier like Simpsons is - seasons 1-3 of South Park are basically a different show.
>>
>>85488064
2000 onwards is modern.

2006 onwards is just utter shit in every way
>>
1989-1990. Roger Rabbit, Little Mermaid, Liquid Television, first Nicktoons, Batman and Tiny Toons usher in the modern age after the dead zone of 70s and 80s cartoons. There hasn't been a hard break in animation to create a new age since then. CN Real and endless Spongebob reruns came close, but not close enough.
>>
I just realized how fucking shit 2006 was for animation
>>
The moment the majority of toons became computer animated is the moment between "classic" and "modern"
>>
>>85488064
>South Park
Like with the Simpsons, I consider anything after season 9 (2005) to be where it all started to go wrong. Though the topical episodes have been good in their own right, they're kind of a far cry from the timelessness the series once had
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.