[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>a black woman did her voice so it's not an Amos 'n'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 45

>a black woman did her voice so it's not an Amos 'n' Andy sort of situation
>her over the top reactions to Jerry weren't any more over the top or more ridiculous than the white women owners of Tom's who reacted when they saw Jerry or another mouse
>her speech is admittedly stereotypical but, they never go too far with it and she never comes across as stupid or particularly ignorant

Also, I always had the impression that she owned the house(s) she lived in. She's supposed to be some family's maid but, I don't remember seeing any short with her that gave me the impression that's what she was. Really, I think it's the time the cartoons were made in that make people assume she was a maid. Well, I say cartoon logic can make us believe a lot of things like coyotes surviving anvil falls to the head, why would it be such a stretch that Hanna Barbera would have a (probably) lower middle class black woman owning her own house?

Why is the character such a supposedly racist caricature?
>>
>>85415131
Because the past is problematic.
>>
>>85415194
Basically this. People have grown up hearing about the past as The Time When Everybody Was Racist so any appearance of a black domestic - even if they don't do anything offensive - sets off warning bells.
>>
>>85415131
>Also, I always had the impression that she owned the house(s) she lived in.

I think you're just stupid then.
>>
>>85415534
She did once refer to it as "my house" but I think she was just possessive of it, as maids often are to this day.
>>
>>85415483
ah but now a days all maids are latinas making less than minimum wage working for whites and anyone rich

... yet no one gives a fuck. double standards huh? so progressive.
>>
File: tom & jerry.gif (3MB, 280x420px) Image search: [Google]
tom & jerry.gif
3MB, 280x420px
>>85415131
because these shorts were made in the 40s when black people were still considered not people. segregation and all that shit you know? damn good animation quality either way
>>
File: 1459274917400.jpg (552KB, 1625x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1459274917400.jpg
552KB, 1625x1117px
>>85415582
>Whites AND rich

I wish I had a latina maid just for being white. I wish I had some money.
>>
>>85415194
>>85415483

You people are idiots
>>
>>85415582
>Double standard
I mean if a kid show had a Latina Maid that could be construed as an offensive sterotype not saying they HAVE to be necessarily people would probably bitch.
But really what? Are people supposed to not hire borderline slave labor to clean their homes and workspaces?
>>
>>85415665
Because...?
>>
File: mammytwoshoesavatar.png (80KB, 193x214px) Image search: [Google]
mammytwoshoesavatar.png
80KB, 193x214px
Well her name was Mammy Twoshoes, other than that though she had a very lovely and clean home, a well stocked fridge and she was one of the snappiest dressers I've ever seen with all kinds of jewelry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDfEbnDeqpI
>>
>>85415665
Bring up the 1950's in a positive light to anyone in their mid-teens to late 20's and watch as they instantly pull the "but racism" card.
>>
>>85415698
I don't think they would freak out. You can still get away with showing sassy Latina stereotypes, at least for now.

There's a "stereotype lag" where some stereotypes fall out of favor earlier than others. Black stereotypes were mostly shamed out of pop culture by the '50s but "Oriental" stereotypes lasted much longer.

The problem is there's a lot of overlap between what's stereotypical and what's true. Showing a black maid in a suburban house in the '40s is just realistic.
>>
>>85415734
And the '50s were not very racist compared to what had come before. Eras where things are getting better actually get a worse reputation because they gave more publicity to the problem.
>>
I never saw her as a maid?

I never saw this really is a stereotype rather than just a character being a character. She's just someone who takes care of a house she bought.
>>
>>85415131
>>85415194
>>85415483
>>85415534
>>85415547
She was quite a bad ass.
>>
File: annaharrington_zps8dff050d.jpg (33KB, 522x317px) Image search: [Google]
annaharrington_zps8dff050d.jpg
33KB, 522x317px
>>85415734
but what about the red scare and height of societal pressures?
Or worse; boomers?
>>
Tex Avery cartoons were racist, wasn't it?
>>
I just thought she was just a home owner like so many other people in the Tom & Jerry cartoons.
>>
File: 1375110166032.png (7KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1375110166032.png
7KB, 400x400px
>>85415822
I never saw her as racist because I never knew what black people were like to begin with.
>>
>>85415874
On the other hand, strong unions, strong middle class, moderate government, more progress toward desegregation, and above all - TELEVISION.

There's good and bad in every era, we should learn from the good stuff instead of dismissing it all out of hand.
>>
She's too real for stuffy ivory tower academics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFcG2N3O_Wk
>>
>>85415878
Tex liked to use the old gag where something explodes in someone's face and leaves them in blackface.

This gag was already old-fashioned in the '40s (blackface was considered old-fashioned and corny long before racism became uncool). But a lot of cartoons used really old gags from the silent days.
>>
File: George_and_Joan.jpg (20KB, 299x479px) Image search: [Google]
George_and_Joan.jpg
20KB, 299x479px
>tfw they phased her out and replaced her with these boring pieces of shit
>>
>>85415930
>progress towards desegregation

>Last week was pretty bad
>Wasn't that bad
>What about all the fires
>They weren't nearly as big as the fires TWO weeks ago

Also I think modern tv is better only because we get tv from the 50s and another 65 years of shit.

But hey people used to be classy as shit....in popular photos.
>>
>>85415930
/co/, /a/ and /tv/ were proof that TV was mistake
>>
>>85415915
Where you from?
>>
>>85416004

That's funny, I remember that stuff being used in Tom and Jerry when I was watching reruns in the 90's. Or when a trash can lid or fountain basin landed on Tom's head and a gong would sound and he'd have buck teeth and narrow eyes.
>>
>>85415915
Well I mean like everyone else with but with a different type of melanin.

Its weird to make groups of people based on one feature someone cherry pick and pretend there's some type of psychic hivemind.
>>
>>85415728
That was a great video thank you for sharing!

Now why can't Disney just do the same sort of thing and finally put out an official DVD/BD/digital release of Song of the South?
>>
>>85416138

I never saw this, but I did laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQA_tOX9jE0
>>
File: Magical Maestro.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Magical Maestro.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>85416138
If you watch Tex Avery's "Magical Maestro" you can see every one of those stereotypes being used because the singer turns into different races/nationalities depending on the song.

It's totally without malice but blackface gags were *really* old-fashioned for 1952. I don't know what the equivalent would be today... Polish jokes?
>>
>>85416131
a US mountain State.

We don't have blacks up here.
>>
File: 1373149712504.jpg (35KB, 298x292px) Image search: [Google]
1373149712504.jpg
35KB, 298x292px
>>85416144
She was also a cartoon character I would have never expected her to act like a normal person, especially not as a young child.
>>
>>85415728
>Now these prejudices were wrong then and they're certainly wrong today.

They weren't wrong then.
>>
But what if she WAS just the maid to a wealthy family?

Are they not allowed to show a cartoon with a historically accurate representation of people of the time? Not allowed to show a black woman whos able to hold down a job dealing with an asshole cat and mouse?
>>
File: tumblr_n7yhil1KBY1trc4y7o1_1280.jpg (97KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n7yhil1KBY1trc4y7o1_1280.jpg
97KB, 800x600px
>>85415915
This usually comes up in these threads.
Racist caricatures in cartoons are kind of hard to get a grasp on out of context because unless you know it's being racist there's not a lot setting them apart from just being a goofy character. And even more confusing when it's racist characters projected over animals
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIxHfwhckcs
>>
>>85416377

From today's point of view they were wrong.
>>
Mammy was GOAT. Fuck the haters.
>>
File: 1467938543059.jpg (53KB, 500x349px) Image search: [Google]
1467938543059.jpg
53KB, 500x349px
>>85415131
>yfw you used to be named Jasper
>>
File: image.jpg (41KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41KB, 600x330px
>>
>>85416412

I was just reminded of Coal Black and the sebben dwarfs.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51ver_merrie-melodies-coal-black-and-de-s_shortfilms
>>
>>85416414
>>85416377
As long as they show the cartoons uncut I don't really care what they say in the disclaimer. (I was glad when they switched from the Whoopi Goldberg video disclaimer to a text disclaimer though.)

As for why Disney hasn't released Song of the South probably for the same reason Warner hasn't released Coal Black and de Sebben Dwarfs. These aren't the most racist films out there but they'are famous and important enough that releasing them would bring a lot of publicity and at least some controversy. Corporations don't want to stir up controversy if they don't have to.

Song of the South isn't even more racist than the Indians in Peter Pan, but, again, stereotype lag. You can get away with having Johnny Depp as an Indian but not as a black guy.
>>
>>85415131
For the longest time I thought her socks was her true skin color, and she was wearing massive brown oven mitts.

I was so innocent, I didn't even connect her talking to black people. I just enjoyed that it was funny.
>>
File: Dumbo Crows.jpg (44KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
Dumbo Crows.jpg
44KB, 620x400px
>>85416519
The real unfair reputation goes to the Crows in Dumbo. Except for one of them being named "Jim Crow" (who isn't called that in the movie) they're basically just nice sympathetic black guys.

If Disney ever does that Dumbo remake I guarantee the crows will be more offensive this time than in 1941, just like animated movies today have some over-the-top stereotypes (not that that's always wrong).
>>
>>85416471
>>85415728
It's really sad that people need to be reminded to not sperg out over something made over 50 years ago because it doesn't fit with their modern day views. Like, no shit things were different back then, for better or worse.
>>
>>85416247
Oh come on that's absolute gold.

Also, and Rule34 of House Nigga Jerry?
>>
>>85415194
Precisely. At the time that the cartoon was created, it was cutting edge progressive.
>>
>>85416471
I've rarely seen a company be so straight forward and based about anything ever. Bravo WB. Try and fix your fucking DC movies plz.
>>
>>85415930
>There's good and bad in every era, we should learn from the good stuff instead of dismissing it all out of hand.

Indeed.
>>
File: Dumbo_crows_houseofmouse.jpg (69KB, 768x511px) Image search: [Google]
Dumbo_crows_houseofmouse.jpg
69KB, 768x511px
>>85416583
THEY CANT KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH THIS
>>
>>85416583
They'll probably be voiced by Key and Peele.
>>
>>85415628
Man, so much this. Where the fuck is my yacht and country club membership? I'm white and that's apparently all it takes! Instead, I'm currently on unemployment hoping to fuck that my old job hires me back in two months.
>>
>>85415534
yeah black people cant own houses
>>
File: nigga thats kawaii.jpg (164KB, 800x504px) Image search: [Google]
nigga thats kawaii.jpg
164KB, 800x504px
>>85416509

All the black people involved in Coal Black, who did all the voices, thought it was the funniest shit ever.
>>
>>85415878
The concept of racisim had only recently been invented, and wasn't in popular use outside the soviets for much of the era.
>>
>>85415628
>tfw I do

It's a good feeling.
>>
>>85416717

They're so fucking unfunny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrqVppNsD5c
>>
>>85416596
Thing is, the internet has made it so that everything knowable can be not only always accessible, but also permanently recorded. Information has reached a plateau that can only ever grow horizontally - that is to say, it grows in amount, but not over time.

That's why you cannot make jokes about anything "Offensive" or "Insensitive" nowadays. Because nothing is ever forgotten. Nothing CAN be forgotten, because nothing can be erased from the records, which are accessible and open to even the lowest people.

And so, from now on it will always be Too Soon. It will always be That Offends Me. It will always be "C'mon, folks! It's 「CURRENT YEAR」!!".
>>
File: louis prima, black man.jpg (37KB, 360x387px) Image search: [Google]
louis prima, black man.jpg
37KB, 360x387px
>>85416583
My favorite is when people bitch about King Louie being voiced by a black man. I mean, a monkey in the jungle voiced by a black man, what a horrible racist old fuck Walt was, right?
>>
>>85416055
>They weren't nearly as big as the fires TWO weeks ago
And how is that not a good thing? It means the fires are getting under control. Most states go through this shit every single year and yes, having the annual fires at 50 or 60% contained is a cause for some celebration. Beats the fuck out of them just ripping through neighborhoods.
>>
>>85416144
Does melanin make people talk differently?
>>
>>85416766

They probably did but given the context of the time, there wasn't much voice acting or acting work for races other than white. I probably will sound like a koolaid drinking sjw but they really didn't have much choice in the matter. They had to do it or they could easily be replaced.
>>
>>85416766
They have good taste. It's a great fucking cartoon.

>Japs - Free!
>>
Wouldn't it be worse if there were no black people in cartoons?
>>
>>85416683
When I was a kid I was dumb and thought these guys were supposed to be the Fat Albert friends in bird form
>>
>>85416663
thx 4 book m8
>>
>>85416784
Y-yea, anon
>>
>>85416519
>Song of the South isn't even more racist than the Indians in Peter Pan, but, again, stereotype lag. You can get away with having Johnny Depp as an Indian but not as a black guy.
>savage people being portrayed as savages is offensive
>>
>>85416812
I'm just saying omit the fires as a positive even if they're getting smaller.
>>
>>85416860
I don't think they *had* to do it, they were all getting work elsewhere and voice acting doesn't pay much.

We can say from our point of view that some of the things black performers had to do were humiliating, but not all of them felt that way. A lot of black comedians used blackface (and when that went out of fashion they bitched about this new younger generation with their political correctness or whatever it was called then).

It's true that if there had been more justice black musicians would have got all the opportunities white musicians did and Negro League players could have played in the big leagues but they didn't go around feeling miserable and thinking they were oppressed all the time. Most people aren't like that, we just live our lives and do our work.
>>
>>85417016
I think if the fires were at a historic low there would be cause for celebration. Like for most of Major League Baseball's history they would never use black players and in the '50s that was mostly over. It doesn't mean things were great for all but a few wildly talented people, it just meant that something really had changed.
>>
>>85417026

That was a poor choice of phrasing on my part, they didn't have to. But if they wanted to voice cartoon characters I wonder how much of a choice they got for parts.
>>
>>85417016
And I'm saying them getting smaller is a positive thing. You expect to go from a whole god damned forest burning down to all of the fire being extinguished completely? The steps and advancements along the way are vitally important and we really do need to acknowledge them. I'm not saying that we should look at it in a "hey, only half the neighborhood burned down, so that's good enough!" kind of way, but you're being utterly blind to real change and progress if you ignore the intermediate steps that get you to the desired destination. It would be exactly the same if in 20 or so years you pretend that we never had manually driven cars because they resulted in a lot of traffic fatalities so we don't talk about that. You're ignoring all of the design changes and safety innovations that led to the automatic vehicles in the first place.
>>
>>85417116
Even today, how much choice does anyone get for their parts? You audition, and people cast you. That's it.
>>
>>85415728
>Poor old Tom Cat.
At least Whoopie understands that Tom is the victim.
>>
>>85415131
The Black Mammy characters are always cool why are they shitting on blacks' best stereotype?
>>
>>85417231
Anyone who cheers for Jerry is objectively worse than Hitler.
>>
>>85416784
>they're culturally disconnected from a majority of the black community
OK.
>>
>>85416412
Just to make that short more terrible, the Quintuplet bit was from a real case of quints that the Canadian government stole from their parents and put on display until their parents got them back and then continued to pimp them out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dionne_quintuplets
>>
>>85417217

Everyone is (assumedly) given a fair shot to voice whomever they want. Back then it seemed like black people were offered black roles. I have done zero fact checking though so feel free to prove me wrong.
>>
>>85416784
>Black people in whiteface, playing blackface.
The merry go round spins.

>>85416860
Simply employing black people would put the owners at red scare risk levels of progressiveness. And the studio's feeling on the shwartzes is well documented.

>>85416812
Progressivisim is a social construct, not a linear path of progression.
>>
>Portraying black people as they were is racist
I don't really care too much about this dialogue, I'll continue to enjoy the fuck out of classic T&J.
>>
>>85415131
This thread seems to pop up way too much lately. I don't think that many anons are getting into fights about Mammy two shoes with people outside of 4chan.

So let's be real OP, is this just autism or is this a fetish thing and you're hoping for pics?
>>
>>85417305
You know nothing about how hollywood and the studios work. But that's ok.

>>85417409
They fight over this shit in colleges, and website terms of use fights constantly.
>>
File: PopoHug.jpg (50KB, 650x487px) Image search: [Google]
PopoHug.jpg
50KB, 650x487px
>>85417248
It's the same thing as Mr. Popo. People got so offended by his design they forget he was one of the biggest badasses in Dragon Ball. Dude ate a kamehameha and can move faster than lightning.
>>
>>85417254
It really depends on the episode. They flipped quite a bit. Though Jerry was more commonly a dick so whatever I guess.
>>
>>85417305
Well, it depends on what you mean by black roles. One of Orson Welle's first movies in 1936 was Voodoo MacBeth, which was an all black MacBeth adaptation. Obviously, it was all black actors set on a Caribbean island instead of Scotland, but doesn't that work for an adaptation? I wouldn't count that as just a black role, it's black people in Shakespearean roles. Same as Kurosawa's Throne of Blood wasn't just Japanese roles, it was Japanese people in Shakespearean roles.

If you're talking specifically about voice work, then I'm not sure.
>>
File: offended for you.png (123KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
offended for you.png
123KB, 500x376px
>>85416766
Don't you know? If you are a Pee-Oh-See who doesn't want all the straight white males of the world dead, then you have Internalized Racism and need to be educated!
>>
>>85417459
But every time I see it they use the same pic. That's why it pinging as weird to me. We have this discussion all the time and it's not like there's any actual discussion to it. As much as people like to bit about /co/mblr 4chan really isn't that PC and people are willing to forgive a lot of fucked up shit where there childhoods and nostalgia are involved. So anytime you ask /co/ "is something racist?" the overwhelming opinion is going to be no followed by more stuff that's questionably racist.
>>
>>85417490
I don't remeber anyone forgetting who he was.....lol
>>
>>85417592
> This pic was made by a a politically active white tumblrite

The irony never ceases to amaze me.

> but it's different when we do it!
>>
>>85417703
Based on real tumblr posts.
>>
>>85415547
Back in the 1800's, servants were tied to the estate rather than owner. When you bought a house, the maid, gardener, cook, and so on come with it and you have to renegotiate their contract.

You can see it in pop culture both in how Jacob Marley's maid became Scrooge's when he moved into Marley's house, and how in Harry Potter the old man taking care of Voldemort's father's house was still the servant despite nobody owning the house because he was being paid in funds off the estate.
>>
>>85417703
>pointing out hypocrisy is the same as engaging in it
>>
>>85417490

that like making a super hero called Watermelon Gold Nigga and denying it's racist because he has cool moves
>>
>>85418189
Depending on how you do so, yes.
>>
>>85418283
Watermelon Gold Nigga is a satirical character.
>>
>>85418283
At least Watermelon Gold Nigga doesn't have lightning powers.
>>
File: AssistantBlack1.gif (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
AssistantBlack1.gif
51KB, 640x480px
>>85417490
Is there any chance of Mr. Popo being completely coincidental? I mean Japan would presumably be pretty removed from all that Sambo shit, meaning they could hypothetically just create a character that hits those marks without indending for him to be a Gollywog. He's also clearly not even human.
>>
>>85418463
Are we not counting the Shocker Zulu Thunder Dance?
>>
>>85416827
No, it all depends on how and where you were raised. It's common sense.
>>
>>85418572
It would lack the cultural meaning of it, but the images themselves appeared as part of the imported western culture.
>>
>>85418572
> I mean Japan would presumably be pretty removed from all that Sambo shit,

You'd think so, but remember Japan is pretty removed from black people on the whole so where are they going to get most of their information on black people? Western media, and they tend to be a few years behind trends as well. They have little need/care for PC as a country that's 99% the same race so that shit does carry over.
>>
>>85415131
It's a fucking Mammy character. What is this pseudo-intellectual bullshit going on in this thread? A coon's still a coon, especially when the joke is he's successful.

>>85418025
Taken to the Nth degree, consistently.
But whatever "ITS OKAY WHEN WE DO IT!"
>>
>>85418749
Good point.
>>
>>85418836
Well that'd be a proper assessment if she was doing it
>>
File: looneytunes04.jpg (10KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
looneytunes04.jpg
10KB, 300x200px
I prefer the cute white girl over mammy.
>>
>>85415734

You can compliment the 50s for a lot of things, but to pretend a massive chunk of the nation wasn't missing out on all that progress for no reason aside from virulent fucking racism is to be a jackass.
>>
>>85418572
>Is there any chance of Mr. Popo being completely coincidental?

Yes, unlike the mammy being talked about in the thread, him and Jynx just happen to meet certain aspects of blackface caricatures without actually being blackface caricatures. The Japanese lack context for that shit, they're xenophobic sure, but that's not the same as constisntly only allowing certain portrayals to appear in popular media.

Plus, last time I checked, Jynx was more about ganguro than blackface.

>>85418957
>taking the vague skeleton of the interaction and inflating the "silly" people by making them vomit buzzwords and make "TRIGGERED!" faces isn't taking it to the Nth degree and stepping in on what happened.

Alright then. Then again, I just hate strawman comics in general so whatever.
>>
>>85419005
Bitch has the body of a plank of wood.
>>
>>85419135
This isn't her final form
>>
>>85419105
>Plus, last time I checked, Jynx was more about ganguro than blackface.

Everyone argues about what Jynx was meant to be, but I think there's solid evidence for her being based on black people.

Remember, the only episode of Pokemon with Jynx as the focus was a Christmas episode where it's discovered Jynx is basically a servant/pet for Santa. What does that have to do with black people you ask?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet
>>
File: .jpg (85KB, 384x448px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
85KB, 384x448px
>>85419105
>Vague skeleton
To be fair stupid shit is said on Tumblr all the time. She doesn't always have to overblow what's said.
Though she does add in smug bitch self. Though technically I don't think that's strawmanning, but it is making fun of an idiot.
>>
>>85419311
Being a reference to Dutch Christmas tradition is not surprising considering how much the Nips like Dutch culture, but doesn't fit for the alone nature such as feminine or even psychic type nature. More like a slurry of the indigenous Yuki-oba, possibly Skadi or some other Nordic ice being, fashion, and blackface. Considering the lack of popularity for it, Jynx was generally a mistake however.
>>
>>85416023
>He didn't wanna boan Joan
>>
>>85418572
Look up the Takara logo. It was pretty much Sambo. They also referenced Little Black Sambo in Kill la Kill.
>>
>>85415728
There's no way they can get away with that today...
>>
File: MouseForSale4.jpg (32KB, 421x453px) Image search: [Google]
MouseForSale4.jpg
32KB, 421x453px
>Also, I always had the impression that she owned the house(s) she lived in. She's supposed to be some family's maid but, I don't remember seeing any short with her that gave me the impression that's what she was. Really, I think it's the time the cartoons were made in that make people assume she was a maid. Well, I say cartoon logic can make us believe a lot of things like coyotes surviving anvil falls to the head, why would it be such a stretch that Hanna Barbera would have a (probably) lower middle class black woman owning her own house?

Because it was the 40/50s you dingus.

Can't tell if you are making mental gymnstics to deny something you enjoyed as a kid had racist elements that you weren't aware due to having grown up at a different time. Just because they didn't take care her as far as they used to and had her go "ooga booga" doesn't mean she wasn't a caricature at the time.

So many of the comments in this thread are people claiming we view her as racist because we are somehow viewing it through a sjw era eyes, when its you dumbnuts who because of todays progress can't see that given the context of the times she was supposed to be a silly caricature.

She wasn't a home owner, loot at her socks and clothing throughout all her different depictions, it wasn't middle class. this shorts were aired for a large, large primarily white audiences at a time in which black people didn't own the nice houses shown in this shorts. And her mannerisms and voice were stereotypical of a maid.

>>85416404
Context, she wasn't only depicted as a maid she was drawn as a racist caricature of the time to mock silly niggers.

But maybe I am wrong, and Hanna Barbera was making a bold statement. Please point to all the evidence besides, "well *I* never saw it as racist."
Small tidbit, she was always drawn with four fingers while all the white characters had five.
>>
>>85415823
For what?
>>
>>85418572
>Yfw Black ended up being the final boss of that arc
>>
>>85420268
What?
>>85415728
And in OP's image hands seem to be on hips so her thumb would be not visible.
>>
>>85420268
But there was nothing odd with her. There really was nothing odd with her.
She was just a black woman.
I just don't understand the drama.
>>
>>85415596
That is beautiful to look at.
>>
File: Going to slap your shit.jpg (78KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
Going to slap your shit.jpg
78KB, 768x576px
She has a face?
>>
>>85420268
You're the one who seems to have a problem with black people of a certain class.
>>
>>85415131
who are you quoting?
>>
Wouldn't Mammy Twoshoes be celebrated for diversity today if they changed absolutely nothing about the character? The implication of her being a maid is because it's the 40s, but it's easy to assume it's her house anyway, more so EVERYONE would assume it is her house if Tom and Jerry was released today. Voiced by a black woman, her slang isn't that different from dialogue we could hear in The Boondocks.

Dunno, as a spic, I didn't see anything racist about her. She reminded me of some of my older aunts when growing up.
>>
>>85419548
Hell, some have said she portrays the people in her comics a bit too favorably at times.
>>
>>85420268
>she was drawn as a racist caricature of the time to mock silly niggers.

She was?
>>
>>85420666

Yes, Satan. We don't see it as racist because we're not part of the culture that gave context to the stereotypes depicted here.
>>
>THOMAS!

That was pretty much how my mother would yell my name...
Gave me chills.
>>
>>85418836
>Taken to the Nth degree, consistently.
Taken word for word.
>>
>>85420882
Maybe the things that are considered progressive today are racist and people of the future will consider us offensive bigots.
>>
File: tnjtt3.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
tnjtt3.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
Meanwhile in the 2000s
>>
>>85421021
>source: my ass

>>85420268
>So many of the comments in this thread are people claiming we view her as racist because we are somehow viewing it through a sjw era eyes, when its you dumbnuts who because of todays progress can't see that given the context of the times she was supposed to be a silly caricature.

Fucking this, I'm so tired of this pseudo-intellectual devil's advocate shit going on this board. I can only pray it's just edgy teens who're trying so desperately to be the counterculture for the perceived "PC mainstream" that they need to try and drag out why a mammy isn't a mammy because "Well *I* don't think it's racist. Maybe YOU'RE racist for thinking it's racist. #JustAThought :)"
>>
File: 185456856586.jpg (24KB, 360x262px) Image search: [Google]
185456856586.jpg
24KB, 360x262px
>>85421310
So fucking true.
Though old cartoons did this shit all the time.
There's other degeneracy to be found in modern cartoons though much worse than this.
>>
>>85421456
>You will never be allowed to habitually crossdress without being called a transsexual
Feels bad man
>>
>>85421484
Drag Queens do it all the time.
>>
File: 18545866556265.jpg (12KB, 300x217px) Image search: [Google]
18545866556265.jpg
12KB, 300x217px
>>85420666
The problem is selective ignorance.
People will ignore litteral sex scenes in music videos for young teenagers and kids to watch on mtv but if one black woman is portrayed not as succesful, daring, beautiful and inspiring liberals will go nuts.
The media has detroyed the world and art.
>>
>>85421484
Haha indeed. Now you will go from creepy cross dresser to "you are litterly a woman"
>>
>>85421601
>mtv
Are you 60?
>>
>>85421601
>animal being attracted to a person

Fucking Hummies
>>
>>85416596
its not so much that its telling people that its offensive.
its telling people that the company does not endorse these offensive things
>>
>>85421667
I don't live in America. But I assumed it was still a big thing.
Whatever music channel they are watching it and learning about killing cops and how to twerk at the age of 10.
F u c k t h i s g a y e a r t h
>>
File: tom and jerry owner.png (59KB, 300x212px) Image search: [Google]
tom and jerry owner.png
59KB, 300x212px
Consider the following:
>she is shown to be hardworking
>She has a bedroom in the house
>She leaves in one episode for a night out, getting dressed up, and returns in the late evening
>There are no white 'owners' of the house ever present, nor does she ever fret about what the owners will think about the damage to the house, only gets mad about Tom breaking nice things, you know, like you would be pissed if your cat broke your nice shit
>She is stated outright to be Tom's owner and she treats him as such
>Would you let your maid keep her cat in your house?
>Her basic role in most stories is to threaten to toss Tom outside if he doesn't deal with Jerry, you know, as if she owns the house
>she keeps the house nice and it is clearly her house, fucking come on

So the major problems with this character as far as portrayal goes are:
>Is a mammy stereotype
>named 'Mammy Two Shoes'
>speech and actions are stereotypical

Why not give her a better name and not make her an unfortunate black stereotype? Why is it better to literally whitewash and make Tom owned by blonde haired blue eyed yuppies?
>>
>>85418572
Japan gets a weird filtering of pop culture from the west that informs their depictions of black folks.

What we would consider racist and rare in the U.S. Is relatively common and not here. Largely, there's no malice attached to it.

But there's also a lot of ignorance about why it would be offensive.
>>
>>85421961
If she was white it would not be diverse enough.
The thing is white people are often portrayed as rednecks/yokels and severely exaggerated but nobody complains about that. We live in a liberal world of insane people.
>>
File: 1.jpg (35KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
35KB, 852x480px
>>85421936
>music channel
nigga what, who follows a youtube channel just for music
>>
>>85421961
Mrs. Two Shoes is a white woman now so it doesn't matter
>>
>>85421961
Also it would help if new Tom and Jerry cartoons kept her, but gave her a job outside the house. Like coming back from the office or whatever. To show she isn't a maid and in fact, owns the house.
>>
>>85422112
Holy shit anon will you shut the fuck up?
Are you saying noone watches a fucking music channel? Because that's bullshit and you know it but if it's all about youtube fine so be it. What the fuck does that change.
>>
>>85422090
>The thing is white people are often portrayed as rednecks/yokels and severely exaggerated but nobody complains about that.
Because it's white people who mock those stereotypes, you dense fucker.
If I, a non white person, portrayed whites in a negative light I would just make you Honey Boo Boos
>>
>>85422221
You know on tv. For fucks sake why are you so autistic.
>>
>>85422189
>>85421961
Should just fucking make her The Wall.
>>
>>85422090
I mean why not show Tom's owner as a black woman who isn't a mammy stereotype

If you're afraid of getting shit on for stereotyping make her a fucking stockbroker or something for the giggles, like show her cleaning shit in the apron getup and then she's like 'well that's done with' and then she goes and puts on a business suit and heads to the office for a meeting

>>85422313
I would shit platinum bricks if Tom was owned by Amanda Waller
>>
>>85422236
My point exactly. Why is one racist and the other not?
It doesn't matter who makes it. People will just see offence which is what I mean with liberal world full of crazy people. It doesn't matter who makes it and it is often under Jewish management so isn't that racist if they are Jews?
>>
>>85422338
Neither Tom or Jerry would still be alive if Waller was the owner of the house.
>>
>>85416583
Crows are really smart birds in real life.
>>
>>85416263
>Polish jokes?
There are 2 polish jokes.
The rest are all true.

I heard this from a pole. I am a pole. Old school poles have fun with them.
>>
>>85422338
Why? Freedom of speech. Very simple it's freedom of speech.
They do what they want.
>>
>>85422338
I don't think Waller would let either of those two get up to the bullshit they do. She strikes me as the type who skips all that bullshit with a cat and just leaves out some poison traps.
>>
>>85422366
>My point exactly. Why is one racist and the other not?
Because non-white people DON'T make those caricatures unless it's the japanese.
When those stereotypes are shown, they are mocking class, not race, since it's other white people who are in charge of fiction.
>>
>>85416583
>>85416683
I don't want to derail this into one of THOSE threads but, I kind of have a crush on those birds.

Heckle and Jeckle are the crows I crush hardest on though
>>
File: fat-albert_L36.jpg (52KB, 633x480px) Image search: [Google]
fat-albert_L36.jpg
52KB, 633x480px
>>85422459
>Because non-white people DON'T make those caricatures unless it's the japanese.
>>
>>85422446
I dunno, I could see Waller thinking the bombs and diabolical traps were from supervillains, and not her cat fighting a mouse.
>>
>>85422459
So it isn't racist if a Jew does this?
Because almost all media companies belong to Jews.
You don't understand how forcing people to make only specific things is limiting freedom.
I'm not necessarily offended by the red neck meme but to be so autistic that a black woman is portrayed as a black charicature?
If I say Jews own most media companies you will say "it's still white peoples fault" why?
>>
itt /co/ misses the point:
"These are negative stereotypes!"
So?

There is no harm in depicting it.
>>
>>85422507
I don't understand your point. I'm talking about white people making white caricatures. Not non-white people making white caricatures.
>>
>>85416144
>like everyone else
That's cultural erasure, you racist

t. devil's advocate

>different type of melanin
Different concentration of melanin

t. genuine nit-picker

I had to get that out of my system, sorry.
>>
>>85422593
Fat albert and the gang was made by a black guy, ya know?
>>
>>85422593
His point is that you are brainwashed to the core.
You are very good at defending insanity.
>>
File: 1355183062213.jpg (14KB, 281x254px) Image search: [Google]
1355183062213.jpg
14KB, 281x254px
>>85422581
Jews are white though
>>
>>85422622
Depends on who you ask and when.
>>
>>85422620
Stop being retarded.
>>85422618
This has absolutely nothing to do with my point.
>>
>>85422622
Eh, they're white-ish.
>>
>>85422659
>This has absolutely nothing to do with my point.
Just making sure we're all on the same page, ya know?
>>
>>85422622
They are just as white as Muslims are.
Also they hate white people.
>>
>>85422090

>white people are often portrayed as rednecks/yokels

when was the last time you saw a redneck in kid's media?, were they also the only white people in the show?
>>
>>85422593
>white this white that
Check your White obsession, you may have dairy fever.
>>
>>85422710
Sir, I demand an apology. I only live for the yellow ladies.
>>
>>85422698
>when was the last time you saw a redneck in kid's media?
Redneck or redneck caricature?
>>
>>85422659
Jesus you are autistic. I wish you a lot of joy with your mind set and I pitty you.
>were they also the only white people in the show?
Does it matter if they are the only ones? I guess south park since I don't watch a lot of cartoons anymore but they portray it in many cartoons.
It doesn't even matter to me what matters is that it's the same thing.
>>
>>85415131
So she was a maid? I guess that make it worse. I always thought she owned the place. She had a nice furcoat and jewelry, so i assumed she was rich too.
>>
>>85422584

perfect

let's turn every piece of media into a Wyatt Man cartoon
>>
>>85422717
Yeah nice racism. Good to know how sophisticated of a person you are. Like I said earlier I wish you lot of luck and I mean it cause you need help.
>>
>>85422601
Actully its a type

"White" people have a sulfur in their melanin type
>>
>>85422790
That's literally what I just said alright.
>>
>>85422790
Why are you forcing people to make homogeneous products?
>>
>>85420882
Are you being racist and calling him a White Devil?
>>
>>85422777
>I always thought she owned the place
Same, I thought it was her house. She reminded me a lot of my Granny sometimes.

t. American White of deep south extraction
>>
>>85422749

kid's media anon

cartoons, caricatures, etc
>>
>>85422839
Do they have to be humans?

I'm not goading or baiting. Legit question.
>>
>>85422799
Well, you are all cunts, mate. Sorry.
I'm not the one who destroys everything I touch and whine because there's no white history month
>>
File: skeleton crackers.gif (1MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
skeleton crackers.gif
1MB, 540x540px
>>85422800
Interesting, never heard anything about that.

Have any relevant wikipedia links or something?
>>
File: 1407879281708.gif (982KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
1407879281708.gif
982KB, 320x239px
>>85422717
>>85422901
>>
>>85422863

well let's do this: how far would you have to reach to name me a recent (last 4 years) cartoon redneck?
>>
>>85422221
For the record, I agree with you
>>
maybe it's because I grew up around a lot of old crazy black moms/older (and they dressed similarly, even though they had jobs, decent houses, families, etc.) women but I always thought she owned the house and was just trigger happy when it came to whooping Toms ass
>>
>>85423006
All hail king julien.
Season 3 episode 10.
Watched it just today.

Normally like the cartoon but that ep I didn't like.

For reasons that would turn this thread into a shitfest.
>>
>>85423024
Ok. Didn't really catch that though.
>>
>>85422823

nope, just checking his trips

and he literally said he was latino and so am i
>>
>>85416784
>those comments
there's hope isn't there
>>
>>85423062
I'm someone else, I just wanted you to know.
>>85423082
I was just giving you shit. I'm Latino too, btw
>>
I get the Mammy name being offensive but, I find it hypocritical to complain about her being fat and sassy when a large amount of female black comedians' bread & butter is the whole being sassy thing.

Stereotypes can be harmful but, sometimes they're just a simple if slightly exaggerated reflection of life's reality. A lot of black women are sassy and a lot of white people can't dance. Oh well.

Besides, I see sassiness as a show of guts. It's certainly not a display of weakness. If Mrs. Two Shoes said things along the lines of, "OH LAWDY THOMAS!! YOU GOTS TO GET DAT MOUSE JERRY OR WHEN MASTA GETS HOME WES BOTH GONNA GIT IT. LAWWWWD" then I could understand the fuss. But she never once grovelled and always had the attitude of one who was in charge about her.
>>
>>85423006
>>85423057
I'll do you a solid.
15 minutes in.
If you don't think that's a redneck caricature there I don't know what you would call one.
>>
>>85423196
>Stereotypes can be harmful
I defy this presumption.
>>
my goodness

What is wrong with some of you people? This is the most insane thread I've seen, like I have to read in several layers

I don't even know who to blame anymore for turning absolutely everything into race.
>>
>>85423189
Yes. Many people agree with this. But they shamelessly keep doing it.
>>
>>85421428
I think it has more to do with "what makes a character racist". Even if it was made with that idea conceptually, people will say "Think of the children" even if children don't have enough depth to realize it's racist. As a kid I never really thought she was a maid. I just thought she was an old timey southern housewife. And one of the only reasons I find it racist is because people TOLD me it was.
>>
>>85416412
>>85420268
>>85420882
>context

Should we change the name of the state of California because it's based on a 16th-century Spanish caricature of exotic otherness, bonus: featuring a Black woman?

People who give a shit whether or not she's racist are literally allowing themselves to be colonized by old attitudes regarding race. Whatever happened to "neural decolonization", did that academic neologistic new hoopty-doo never take off? Take a chill pill.
>>
>>85422912
I HAD a really good artical saved on my phone but its a mess cus you cant organize dowloaded pick and video on this S6, so I just googled this a screen shoted. For a start.
>>
>>85423389
What the FUCK did you just say, nigga?
>>
>>85423350
>I don't even know who to blame anymore for turning absolutely everything into race.
It's called intersectionalism and it's pure poison.

Imagine drinking condensed cyanide and radioactive waste and being told it's your fault you're dying from it because you can't tolerate it.
>>
>>85423258

would you consider a blackface acceptable in today's children media? if no then why are you allowing yourself to "be colonized by old attitudes regarding race"?
>>
>>85423537
Sincere honest question, not an insult, not baiting or goading.
Are you sure you replied to the right poster?
>>
File: Screenshot_20160813-003537.png (329KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160813-003537.png
329KB, 1440x2560px
>>85423444
Forgot pic
>>
beat me to it

nope, fucked up

it was for >>85423389
>>
>>85423444
Samsung phones seem to skip a generation when it comes to quality. I had an s3 and an s5 and they've been pretty good to me. My roommate's s7 seems to be pretty nice.

I'll have to keep on the lookout for this topic though, it seems to make some superficial sense.
>>
File: image.jpg (170KB, 653x367px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170KB, 653x367px
>>85422507
Um, the Cosby kids still look like distinct individuals and have depth as characters.
>>
>>85423597
Are all three types of melanin found in all people, or are certain types exclusive?
>>
>>85422338
>Both are owned by WB
>They're working Hanna Barbara properties into comics
Get DC on the phone
>>85423389
California sort of proves what I was saying. Context is important in these since I have no idea what any of that shit you're talking about with California, therefore California is just the name of a state that /k/ hates.
>>85422800
>Sulfur
White people confirmed for the devil.
>>85423466
I think he's trying to say that we're allowing racist attitudes of the past to rule them. Even in "harmless" depictions like Mammy Two-Shoes.
>>
>>85419551
>Jynx was generally a mistake
I'm gonna have to agree with this.
Not because of race reasons but because I don't want my pocket monsters looking like humans.
Mr. Mime can fuck off too.
Why the fuck is there a mime pokemon? If I could erase from existence one of the 151, he'd be it.
>inb4 Mr. Mime is racist against french people.
>>
>>85422313
>>85422378
>>85422446
>>85422558

Let me feel out an idea here.

>Now see here, Tomcat. I've tried traps. I've tried poison. I've tried exterminators. I've tried the NSA. I've even tried the greatest supervillan in all of australia, but that mouse is still there.

>You may be the baddest cat on your block, but you're in MY house now, and you're completely expendable.. And if I have to use that explosive collar around your neck, it's not going to be for kitty treats.

>>85420268
Nigga, you have no clue what the fuck you're talking about. The maid stereotype was progressive for it's time. The regressive position was that we needed to ship them out to africa, or exterminate them, and certainly not leave them in charge of the household unattended. Think pullman porters.
>>
>>85423725
>California is just the name of a state that /k/ hates.
With good reason. No. I'm not sorry.
>>
>>85419044
People "miss out on progress" in every time and place, and you're the jackass for making a moral judgment about it.

You talk like society heads towards some inevitable utopia over time, but that's not how real life works. People are as full of shit today as they were 60 years ago and as they'll be 60 and 600 years from now.
If you think people in general are somehow more morally pure than they were in the 50s, then you've probably had a pretty sheltered life.
>>
>>85417592
>Pee-Oh-See
Can someone actually fucking tell me how this shit came about. How the fuck did leftists fight so goddamn hard not a few years back to get rid of coloured people as a description of black folks, and only black folk, but now describing every single minority under a term that is literally coloured people but with less enterprise is okay?

I am seriously fucking confused about this shit.
>>
>>85423725
>California sort of proves what I was saying
That it's more important to hold onto old hateful contexts than new better ones?

You wouldn't have ever given a shit about California's name unless I'd said anything. I encourage you to learn the etymology as I would encourage anyone, but please don't just add it to a menagerie of "problematic things in the universe people should be offended about" or whatever.
>>
>>85423855
>No, see, it's ok because it's PERSON of color, not COLORED person. Get it?

By the way, grammatically identical. The subject remains person and the adjective remains colored/of color.

There is no change in emphasis from the perspective of grammar or as far as English is concerned.
>>
>>85422622
Yes this is true some jews are pale white,

But I just want to point out that only some of the jews went to europe, they spread across the globe and are all shades even though we are orignaly darkskined africano with thicker curly hair.
>>
>>85423855
also, the acronym is pretty much a gift for racists ("pickers of cotton", "pieces of crap", "people of crime" etc). I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the non-SJW black people would just as soon go back to being called "negro" compared to being called 'people of color'.
>>
>>85423730
>Not because of race reasons but because I don't want my pocket monsters looking like humans.
Not on-topic but that reminds me of how Digimon apparently has less and less monstrous designs over the years, favoring more humanoid/"furry" designs instead. Call me a "genwunner" wanker or whatever but that kinda irks me.
>>
>>85424109
The worst part is that its used to lump every single non-white individual together, as if they're all the same. As if they all have the same cultures and struggles. Fucking hell, I know of different peoples of the same color that fucking hate each other.

And where the hell does it put asians? I mean, those fucks had all their shit taken away from then not more than 65 years ago, do they get somewhere in the pride totem pole?
>>
File: 1466211225499.jpg (151KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
1466211225499.jpg
151KB, 800x388px
>>85423855
>>
>>85424207

I always thought that the term "Person/people of colour" was kinda a moot term anyway. Because well, white is a colour too.

I don't get why alot of people are afraid of referring to someone as black. Because I've NEVER seen anyone being offended by that.
>>
>>85424209
NAACP is going to change its name I assume.
>>
>>85424287
African American Manta.
>>
>>85424288
that comic is 28 years old though
>>
>>85424339
Yup.
Any day now.
>>
>>85424288
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk6CSInMDSI
>>
>>85424366
Thanks for reminding me about this.
>>
>>85423364
It's almost like you learn stuff as you grow up.

No one goes "Think of the children" over this, they go "let's not bring blackface back" because its inherently a very racist thing. Of course you were oblivious as a child, you had to be taught that. And no one is saying that we need to scrub away these pieces of history because it no longer reflects the current zeitgeist; if that were the case, I would have never seen these Tom and Jerry reruns as a kid in the early to late 2000's even with the mammy.

Just because as a child you didn't know what made it racist doesn't make it any less racist. It just meant you were uneducated on the subject because of course you were, you were a literal child at the time. The reason you're taught this is so that when you're an adult you don't think it's a good idea to draw mammies or coons in comics or go in blackface at some public event or party and wonder why people want to avoid you.

Granted, you can still do those things because freedom of speech and so on, but that doesn't bar other people's freedom of speech to call you a jackass. And at that point, if you know better, you can't claim ignorance.
>>
File: Mammy.png (645KB, 1178x1143px) Image search: [Google]
Mammy.png
645KB, 1178x1143px
>>
In the end, I don't care all that much.
>>
>>85423855
There's also the whole self-imposed segregation thing with safe spaces. Imagine telling some poor black kid in 1950's Birmingham, Alabama or wherever some of this shit.

The high point of race relations was in the 70's and it's been all downhill since the 80's.
>>
>>85424469
>And no one is saying that we need to scrub away these pieces of history because it no longer reflects the current zeitgeist...
Tell that to the Confederate Flag.
>>
>>85424606
Oh yeah.
>in 2016 black people and white people will still be separated but by choice
>and they'll totally be equal, I swear
>>
>>85424469
I get what you're saying. I really do. My point is, the only reason things like Mammys, blackface, etc. is frowned upon is because of the climate between black people and white people in the past and the climate between black people and white people presently.

If you're a black comedian, you can put make up on your face and body to appear my caucasian and no one cares. The reason why blackface was offensive is because it fed into society's ACTUAL oppinions of black people, and was a way of not having to hire black actors to perform black roles.

Meanwhile a Mammy character is seen as racist because it causes people to think of slavery, and that black people are housemaids and ignorant. But the thing is. Women like this existed. There may be women like this that STILL exist. Beyond having a stereotypical voice and outfit, there's nothing "Harmfully" racist about Mammy. Similar to how there's nothing racist against Madea. She's a reference to a group of people who really existed but because she's portrayed by Tyler Perry no one would ever call him racist. Interestingly enough Mammy is ALSO voiced by a black woman. And anything you can say is racist about her is "She acts like a mammy and mammys are bad because it reminds us that black people used to be unequal to white people and we don't wanna think about that." Beyond that she's never slighted, treated badly, shown to have masters or any other negative stereotypes. I don't even think she eats watermelon or chicken (which, let's be honest, are both delicious food and weird stereotypes.) Being offended is just a knee-jerk reaction because she's offensive adjacent.
>>
>>85424637
"Hey don't hang up a symbol of annexing for the sake of slavery/states rights that still ensured slavery as a means for business" isn't the same as "The Confederate Flag Never Existed" but sure, let's reach that far. Why not.
>>
>>85415131
she sounds exactly like the black chick from neoghostbusters

if tom and jerry's woman is racist than so is that woman's acting in that shitty movie
>>
>>85423739
Sounds like a legit premise for one of those modern Tom and Jerry movies
>>
>>85424678
>watermelon or chicken (which, let's be honest, are both delicious food and weird stereotypes.)

I prefer cantaloupe but, watermelon's alright. Other than that, I agree.

Louisiana Famous Fried Chicken is my favorite fried chicken that I've tried. I really want to try Bojangles if I'm ever around the midwest though.

Then again, I also really love spicy food (I always eat my scrambled eggs and my fried chicken with hot sauce) so I'm probably some sort of anomaly when it comes to being a white guy, I guess. That or the stereotype of white people not being able to handle spicy food is really retarded
>>
>>85424701
Distributers are (or at least were) refusing to sell the damn thing. Hell they're refusing to sell any merchandise with the thing on it including the goddamn General Lee. Yeah there's a difference but when business start completely removing it from their stores it definitely begins to fall into "trying to completely forget about it" than "hey guys don't hang it up".
>>
>>85424167
>genwunner
wut?
>Gen 1
Oh.

I like the humanoid digimon for fapping, but I don't want them to have much screen time.
As a kid I thought Angemon was bullshit.
Then Angewomon showed up and my 11 year old peepee got hard and drippy, so I was okay with it.
>>
>>85424849
It's still taught in history classes and you can still buy that shit online no problem. And yes, businesses will do anything to look good for the press. No surprise there, its why "green capitalism" is such a prominent thing now.

Cry more.
>>
>>85424701
I likely live more north than you. I say this so you don't attempt to shift focus onto what a southern bumpkin I am.

Preface out of the way, one thing they taught us in public school up here was that factually, only a very small minority of people owned slaves in the south. They somehow managed to neglect to teach us that the north was in fact extremely racist and owned slaves after the emancipation proclamation through a legal loophole. Corperate bodies were not individuals. As such, a company could continue to own and employ slaves because the emancipation proclamation did not free them from the large corporate bodies that owned them. Subsequently, even into the civil war the north would hold slaves while warring with the south for the same reason.

The north has been and continues to be quite bigoted to blacks. We just won so now we can omit that from history.
>>
>>85424926
But why not sell it?
>>
>>85425099
Because they got scared of backlash for selling the product because it became the center of a controversy.
>>
>>85425013
Randy Newman puts it perfectly in Rednecks:

>Now your northern nigger's a Negro
>You see he's got his dignity
>Down here we're too ignorant to realize
>That the North has set the nigger free
>Yes he's free to be put in a cage
>In Harlem in New York City
>And he's free to be put in a cage in the South-Side of Chicago
>And the West-Side
>And he's free to be put in a cage in Hough in Cleveland
>And he's free to be put in a cage in East St. Louis
>And he's free to be put in a cage in Fillmore in San Francisco
>And he's free to be put in a cage in Roxbury in Boston
>They're gatherin' 'em up from miles around
>Keepin' the niggers down
>>
>>85425168
Alright.
Pardon my asking.
Why is it controversial? Not a big "the south" kinda guy. We get snow here. Lots of it.
>>
>>85425210
There was a big buzz a few months to a year back because southern states still had confederate flags flying in some places. Not above American and State flags, mind you, just had them. Then everybody got up in arms because the confederate flag is apparently a symbol of oppression and slavery and big, terrible, nasty, doubleunplusgood things.
>>
>>85425210
Are you serious? Are you not even American? Do you not remember Bowlcut McNazibot shooting up a black church? Photos of him with the flag, followed by a failure to lower a Confederate Flag flying in the SC capitol caused people to get really pissed at the flag and protest it. They pulled it from a lot of stores and even took it down in a few states.
Ontop of the regular background disdain like >>85425274
>>
>>85425200
To put it mildly. Up here, everyone is fine with black people. As long as they don't have to see them or be bear them.

True fact. I had never met a single black person until high school senior year.

But that's a story for another day.
>>
>>85425013
Mr. Feeney doesn't want you to know how much the North benefited from the practice of slavery.

https://youtu.be/SzB6gGBiC7Y

Pretty much everything the esteemed representative from South Carolina brings up in the song is factual.
>>
>>85425308
>>85425274
Oooohhhhhhh.
That shooting thing.
Boy that was a mess.
>>
>>85425013
>I likely live more north than you. I say this so you don't attempt to shift focus onto what a southern bumpkin I am.

If I didn't do it in my first post, I wouldn't do it here. But sure, let's keep reaching.

>Preface out of the way, one thing they taught us in public school up here was that factually, only a very small minority of people owned slaves in the south

They still owned slaves though.

>They somehow managed to neglect to teach us that the north was in fact extremely racist and owned slaves after the emancipation proclamation through a legal loophole.

Yeah, that's why Reconstruction was a fucking mess. This is taught to you in basic 11th grade U.S History.

>The north has been and continues to be quite bigoted to blacks. We just won so now we can omit that from history.

It's been mitigated for sure and that's also an issue. That doesn't mean people are still going to be A.OK seeing the Confederate flag flying around though.

You can multiple opinions on things, anon.
>>
>>85425274
Non-american here.
If uncle Clem wants a rebel flag on his front yard I see no legal problem with it.
Freedom of expression and all that.

Race issues aside, why is it not federally prohibited to fly the flag of a failed rebel uprising at a government building?
That flag represents the most bloody and painful war on US soil, brought about by defecting factions of an army under the control of an ad hoc government which no longer exists.
>>
>>85425401
I had an American history teacher who tried hard to give us a broader curriculum. I get the feeling the school board might have been upset if he went too far and said something too unflattering. He was a big South park fan. I won't forget what he taught us day one in his class: History is written by the winners.

Smart guy. Funny. Energetic. Gave out more homework than I liked (any.)
>>
>>85425510
I'm not too certain but I think its mostly pride. The south does not have a whole lot to its name, but it does have history and dignity. While i'm neither here nor there about keeping it flying to many it would seem like trying to take away one of the last things the south still has.
>>
>>85425524
School boards are typically filled by busybody housewives and other armchair warriors that don't enjoy thinking more than they have to. If I hadn't taken AP US History in high school, I wouldn't have learned shit. The AP US History teacher was 70 years old and didn't give a fuuuuuuuck so she gave us the real score on a lot of stuff that's probably whitewashed in lower history classes.
>>
>>85425510

It would cause gun nuts to chimp out
>>
>>85423855
>>85424207

>Can someone actually fucking tell me how this shit came about.

We're getting way off topic here, but the politics drives the ideological position. Never the other way around.

In this case, the political objective of POC, the goal is to claim that there's a unity of culture, goals and political objectives of the nonwhite peoples. You will notice that it is almost always used to contrast with white people. Lumping them all together is a deliberate thing here.

This is very different from the "rainbow coalition" and one world integration era of race relations.

Contrast BLM's demands for race based campus housing at the college protests for an example.

You also see a second transformation on the leading edge of this movement. Instead of talking about the white hegemony, it's redefined to "whiteness". Which means that asians, and white hispanics that don't fall politically in line with them now have "whiteness privilege". See the Zimmerman case for an example.

But followup on this shit should go to /pol/.

>>85424109
>I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the non-SJW black people would just as soon go back to being called "negro"
It wouldn't be unthinkable. Although I would see that as being driven by spanish speakers calling the denounciation of negro as racist against hispanics.
>>
>>85423537
>blackface
What is it you'd call blackface in a modern context?

A White actor playing a Black character would be acceptable.

A White writer writing Black characters would be acceptable.

Examples of Black characters played by White actors, and it working just fine, are the voice of Cleveland Brown in Seth MacFarlane's IPs and John DiMaggio.

As for examples of White writers creating Black characters you'd probably be able to find an example with 2 minutes of googling.
>>
>>85425483
The point, anon, is that the symbol of slavery is placed upon the southern flag mostly due to the north's victory. What was no small measure, if not an equal measure sin by the north and its states gets ignored and all the blame is placed on what is tantamount to just the south. The north won and wrote the rules for who would pay and who would be assigned the moral blame.

But if you want my honest opinion, as of today? Now? No one has that blame. Because the victims, heroes and villains are all dead. You can't assign collective blame to people who share nothing with those that are at fault. If you want to go that way nobody is more or less responsible from a north/south perspective.
>>
>>85415534
Dude, no one under the age of 50 who's seen those fucking movies as children thought she was a maid. Most people still didn't put two and two together till a showing of gone with the wind or an old black and white movie that talks about black maids in america.
>>
>>85425510
Because flying a flag is a form if expression. Burning one is too.

Both are legal. Flying a Jolly Rodger is just as legal here, even though that was technically piracy and represented much the same, ya know?

Again. Expression
>>
>tfw tom and jerry has untouched waifu
>>
>>85425850
But freedom of expression has boundaries.
Its not carte blanche for everyone to do anything they want.

Forget all the race stuff.
The states have a responsibility to support the federal government.
Flying the rebel flag at a government building should be considered a treasonous act in my opinion.
>>
>>85415534
In one episode she's seen leaving the house in a fine fur coat and jewellery. (She was going out for a night on the town or a dinner party.) She is the homeowner.
>>
>>85415131
Wow yeah, I always assumed it was her house as a kid. Fuck man.
>>
>>85426089
The only limitations on expression itself should be against threats of otherwise breaking the law ("I'm going to kill this person") and lies with intent to do harm (defamation, "Fire!" in a crowded theater).
>>
>>85426089
The boundaries are not what you think they are.

Flying a flag that represents a nation at war with now or previously at war with the united States is not sedition.
Freedom of expression is almost entirely "carte blanche" to express yourself as long as you aren't inciting people to act. A flag does not. Screaming fire in a crowded theater subverts the public into a panic. Even if there is a fire. You are inciting people into a call to action. Screaming for a riot or to loot. Call to action. A flag? Nope. No call to action.

See the difference? People do not immediately react to one immediate clear action from your expression. Because of that, the interpretation is up to the person receiving the expression. If it was a call to action, there's no dispute over what the message is.
>>
File: Bling Bling, She Ain't No Maid.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Bling Bling, She Ain't No Maid.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>
>>85426253
Those are all calls to action, barring defamation. Which has been ruled non protected speech time and time again.

Defamation and lible or slander is civil, not criminal and depends on proof of damage.
>>
File: J1cBZCc.gif (695KB, 472x360px) Image search: [Google]
J1cBZCc.gif
695KB, 472x360px
>>85416412
>>
>>85426294
I always thought she was putting on the homeowner's jewelry while she was cleaning the place.
>>
>>85426270
By the way. In a crowded theater full of deaf people and scream fire? Still not protected speech. They or anyone sees you panic or trying to get other people to panic? Call to action. Even if you were to literally say nothing coherent but scream a lot point and run. Same thing.

This is why you can say "fire" all you like in a theater. Or talk about your friend who got fired. Doesn't matter. What you are saying is not being prohibited in this instance. What you are doing is.
>>
File: CA8LGOcUkAAfx5t.jpg (56KB, 600x357px) Image search: [Google]
CA8LGOcUkAAfx5t.jpg
56KB, 600x357px
>>85422405
>Polish jokes?
>>
>>85426379
Very happy merchants indeed.
>>
>>85416860
They couldn't have been replaced, because Bob Clampett wanted only black artists on Coal Black. Sure, some filler voices were done by Mel Blanc, but the director's vision was to make a cartoon with black people.
>>
>>85426382
Would a white woman own such large pieces of gaudy jewellery? I suppose if it was a little old white woman. But I mean really, that's some serious bling.
>>
File: Carmen-Sandiego.jpg (66KB, 513x627px) Image search: [Google]
Carmen-Sandiego.jpg
66KB, 513x627px
>>85415765
>You can still get away with showing sassy Latina stereotypes, at least for now.
>>
>>85426528
I figured she worked for some rich family and was indulging herself, a little secret while she worked, then carefully put it all back when she was done.

I always thought she was the housekeeper when I watched, but not like I really cared, I was watching for Tom & Jerry.

Also, she may be a stereotype, but stereotypes exist because they are true sometimes right? So why is it bad to show a stereotype? I don't get it.
>>
File: 1471049061591.jpg (55KB, 600x330px) Image search: [Google]
1471049061591.jpg
55KB, 600x330px
>>85416471
Let me correct you there partner.
>>
>>85426562
You have no idea what those gloves are doing to my dick right now.
>>
>>85426562
Look, there is not a stereotype about Latinas stealing large building and landmarks.

And if there is, and if it's even remotely true, Trump's Wall is in even more trouble than anyone could've prepared for.
>>
>>85424109
I love it. When spoken, it becomes pooks, pook and spooks.

Mexican's are techinacally gray people. They can be lumped either into caucasians or spooks. For example, illegals are pooks when crossing the border and white in police registeration when commiting crimes.
>>
>>85426588
>I figured she worked for some rich family and was indulging herself, a little secret while she worked, then carefully put it all back when she was done.
That's entirely plausible. I mean, what films with maids haven't occasionally done that. It's a real stereotype. I experienced something similar when I travelled to *coughcough* and found my hotel room open. I decide to sneak in to see what's going on. And sure enough, I find a maid riffling through my luggage--obviously looking for something to help themselves to, hoping that I won't notice anything missing. (And even if I did, who would have I been able to accuse?!)

>>85426659
But she is Sassy.
>>
>>85425744
Anime chick with a tan is really common blackface practice. Like Alex from Totally Spies.
>>
>>85422622
>Jews are white though
Goyim, the word you are looking for is Ashkenazi.

>>85424102
This Juy here understands.
>>
>>85426896
As you've defined it then, modern blackface doesn't seem to be a problem.
>>
You know, I think I've learned more about history thanks to 4chan.
I mean that in the most positive way.
They can really only spend so much time on this in school among the hundreds of other lessons and concepts that need to be worked though.
Trigonometry, personal finance, CAD design, Gym class, jazz band, general relativity, metal fabrication, fashion design, auto shop, robotics, psychology, photography, English, Spanish, French, German, Japanese, career planning, Outdoor Ed.

Its just a ton of stuff to pile on kids.
The best thing to instill is curiosity, they'll find out all they need to know on their own.
>>
>>85427871
Of those things you mentioned I'm pretty sure my school only taught 6 of them. Some only during my final years of high school and some they stopped teaching.
>>
>>85426089
In general, the flags are flying at civil war memorials.
>>
>>85415131
So what exactly was the danger of this? I watched these episodes when I was a kid and it didn't make me racist against black people. I just saw an big, loud lady.
>>
>>85426843
Did you confront them? Did you promise not to tell their boss in exchange for a blow job?
>>
>>85426465
Whoever made that never saw American dad, family guy or South Park.
>>
>>85429872
Anon please, racism is subconscious.
>>
>>85426465
>blackness can be cured by faith
>>
>>85431372
That's what mormons believe
>>
>>85423350

Makes me wonder what the hell started happening in colleges since I graduated since it seems to be more college aged kids arguing this over and over yet struggle with basic social interaction and rules of any kind once they graduate.
>>
File: alg-robertdowneyjr-jpg.jpg (107KB, 1200x816px) Image search: [Google]
alg-robertdowneyjr-jpg.jpg
107KB, 1200x816px
>>85416519

>You can get away with having Johnny Depp as an Indian but not as a black guy.

Didn't Tropic Thunder get away with fucking Robert Downey Jr. in blackface?
>>
>>85433094
That was a meta parody though

RDJ playing a character playing black
>>
>>85433094
No, he got away with playing an Australian actor in blackface.
>>
>>85415194
>>85415483
It turns out the most Problematic thing is existing. Each day, a person can experience things they didn't experience the day before, and that alarms some people.
>>
>>85415930
I see re-segregation happening today, so the government is doing something wrong.
>>
>>85418345
>>85418189
The easiest way to win the online social commentary game? Don't play.
>>
>>85416247
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlquOmv7Kk8
>>
>>85416519
To be fair, Lone Ranger was offensive in other ways
>>
>>85415582
>ah but now a days all maids are latinas
speak for yourself commiefornian
>not having a polish maid
>>
>>85433094
That was the whole fucking joke.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.