[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Never forget, a year ago when Marvel put Bendis on Iron Man,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

File: riri-williams-full.jpg (163KB, 814x1236px) Image search: [Google]
riri-williams-full.jpg
163KB, 814x1236px
Never forget, a year ago when Marvel put Bendis on Iron Man, they made a big publicity splash about how they were going to make Tony Stark as popular in the comics as he is in the movies:

>[Axel] Alonso: Without a doubt. There's a reason he's front and center. We had an internal conversation. How is it that Iron Man, the character we've put into our films, is arguably the most recognized superhero and widely liked by both male and female demographics? What is it about him that people are connecting with?

>Obviously, one, I think they boiled Iron Man down to his essence, the fact that he's such a layered, flawed individual. He's the megalomaniacal jerk with a heart of gold. We just decided that we're going to go for broke. We're committed to this, and we're signing the talent to do just the trick in terms of signaling our commitment to what we're doing.

A year later this clearly was not working out.

Which is the next push Marvel will give up on as hopeless, and then claim this was their intention all along?

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2015/06/04/eic-reveals-some-secrets-of-the-all-new-all-different-marvel-image
>>
I have no problem with it. As long as they keep Tony I'm fine with it. I want to see Rini in action.
>>
Civil War permanently ruined 616 Iron Man.

They should have took the easy way out and replaced him with Ultimate Iron Man after Secret Wars.
>>
>>85410278
>Rini

Riri, but I agree.
>>
>>85410278
It might be fun, but it's obviously a desperation move after their Tony Stark push didn't work out.

He's not *un*popular, he's just never been a truly top tier comic book character. Robert Downey gave him charisma he could never have on the page.
>>
>>85410281

This. They should've made 616 Iron Man a villain and have Ultimate Iron Man take his place.

Now that'll never happen, sadly.
>>
>>85410281
>Civil War permanently ruined 616 Iron Man.
I completely disagree. Tony has always worked because he's a flawed hero. Now Civil War was poorly written and awful but it gave him the chance to tell stories about him correcting his mistakes, and that's is potentially some good shit. Same thing could happen after Superior Iron Man (which was the most fun the character has been in years) but Bendis ignored that run.
>>
>>85410352
>It might be fun
Why do people keep saying this?
Why do people keep giving Bendis the benefit of the doubt? They always say it might be fun, it might pick up, it might get better. It never fucking does.
>>
It's pretty hilarious that iron man was meant to be the flagship book but several marvel books sell better than it
>>
>>85410409
Basically because it switches from something Bendis is terrible at (writing grown-up superheroes) to something he's OK at (writing kids). I also thought the Original X-Men gimmick was fun at first because they're suited to his style in a way that most grown-up characters aren't.

Doom on the other hand seems like a disaster in the making.
>>
>>85410458
Literally no one will ever give a shit about Iron Man. The only reason movie casuals like him is because they like RDJ but not Iron Man himself. It's sad that Marvel just can't get that.
>>
>>>>85410225
>Which is the next push Marvel will give up on as hopeless, and then claim this was their intention all along?

Inhumans, Inhumans, Inhumans.
>>
>>85410513
This run could have been a turning point for the character popularity(the relaunch had almost perfect timing for both the comics and movie audience), but it needed a better writer than Bendis
>>
>>85410636
>This run could have been a turning point for the character popularity(the relaunch had almost perfect timing for both the comics and movie audience), but it needed a better writer than Bendis

Yeah, I just wish we could get someone like Pak or Ewing or Duggan on an Iron Man ongoing. There's so much untapped potential in Marvel's writing bullpen but they keep fucking it up by giving Bendis these flagship titles and leaving Duggan to write Solo.
>>
>>85410636
I honestly think he might have to die or otherwise be benched for a while then have the appetite grow for his return so they can make a big deal about it and then give him a good run. Though with all the legacies they're pushing even that might not work. They have even watered that down since they just had Cap come back and Thor is getting there and Hulk will need one too.

They've played themselves.
>>
I stopped reading Iron Man around Fear Itself. Who's this black chick?
>>
>>85411312
She's a girl genius Bendis created to replace Tony because he
a) wants to write his adopted kids into the comics
b) wants to repeat the success of Miles Morales to prop up a comic that isn't selling

Doctor Doom will also become Iron Man, but that's a ripoff of superior Spider-Man (not to be confused with the comic called Superior Iron Man).
>>
>>85410281
They said the same thing about The Crossing.
>>
>>85410281
>The Crossing permanently ruined 616 Iron Man.
Fixed.
>>
File: 1470906200660.gif (2MB, 231x239px) Image search: [Google]
1470906200660.gif
2MB, 231x239px
>>85410225
>Which is the next push Marvel will give up on as hopeless, and then claim this was their intention all along?
Captain Marvel.
>>
>>85411388
>>85411399
You know what actually did help 616 Iron Man? Heroes Reborn.

Everybody complained about how bad the comics were, but they sold well and got rid of a lot of the shit that the characters had gone through in 616 (Teen Tony, mutated Wasp), so when Iron Man and Thor and the Avengers returned to 616 they were able to do good back-to-basics relaunches.

It didn't make him a huge seller long-term because he's not that kind of character, but I wonder if they might try something like Onslaught/Heroes Reborn again. Because it actually did work.
>>
>>85410800
Duggan also has Deadpool, a character he saved from years of shittyness, and a rock solid Avengers book.

Flagship titles are overrated. less freedom than any other books.
>>
>>85410409
>Why do people keep giving Bendis the benefit of the doubt?
Because for all its flaws, Bendis' books aren't dull and his teenage characters are, in fact, fun.
>>
>>85411446
At least she's actually getting her movie, so they'll keep pushing her for years after the movie comes out until it becomes clear that it won't work.

By that time we'll all be living under Martian invasion anyway.
>>
>>85411761
Nah, I think the movie will be succesful, so much in fact that the comics are going to become better because of it, since marvel movies have better writers than the comics. So the comic writers will steal from the tone and personality of MCU Carol.
>>
I know a lot of people will disagree, but I really think the Fraction run was some good shit.
Notably, World's Most Wanted.
>>
>>85411846
The movie may be successful but if it is, Marvel publishing will switch from "we need to make Carol the most beloved and popular heroine in the world" to "we need to capture what makes Carol so much more popular in the movies." And we saw how that worked out with Tony Stark.
>>
>>85411969
I liked Fraction's run. The digitally-inked art is ugly (Larroca was so much better when he used an inker) but it was enjoyable.

Iron Man has not been without good/popular runs in comics. It's just that expecting him to rise to Spider-Man levels of popularity in the comics is never going to happen.
>>
File: 1470814984068.jpg (76KB, 544x728px) Image search: [Google]
1470814984068.jpg
76KB, 544x728px
>>85411846
Yeah because Iron man comics became so much better after Iron Man 1, 2 and 3. And Guardians of the Galaxy comics were undoubtedly saved by the movie too.
>>
>>85411756
How's the Kool-Aid? Is it good?
>>
>>85411756
lol
>>
>>85410225

That's because Tony is no longer the face of the MCU. That's Cap now.

If the next big character of the MCU after Avengers 3 isn't Tony or Steve, I wonder who it'll be? Will Spider-man finally be rescued from Slott and given the respect he's been lacking for the past decade?
>>
>>85412949
>I wonder who it'll be?
Oh, anon.
Carlol
>>
File: drake be like.png (1MB, 1169x800px) Image search: [Google]
drake be like.png
1MB, 1169x800px
>>85413075

You're absolutely right.
>>
>>85410225
Eh, it's fine. After yet another one of Marvel's forced campaign fails, they'll be pimping Tony again in no time.
>>
Will RiRi be rivals with Moon Girl?
>>
>>85411756
>his teenage characters are, in fact, fun.

Can you link me to the funnest Miles Morales page you have? I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>85411468
>It didn't make him a huge seller long-term because he's not that kind of character, but I wonder if they might try something like Onslaught/Heroes Reborn again. Because it actually did work.
This. It does work. Resting Thor certainly reinvigorated the book after disassembled and I bet F4 will sell shitloads when it's eventually relaunched too.
>>
>>85410225
>He's the megalomaniacal jerk with a heart of gold

How does Tony has an heart of gold ? He's the biggest prick of the Marvel Universe
>>
>>85410360
There's flawed hero and then there's evil strawman and that's what Civil War turned Tony into.
>>
I wonder if Marvel and DC will look back at this period in the way that we look back at the 90's "every comic is a special collectors holofoil edition" mentality.
>>
>>85416433
Maybe, but this time Marvel has no one to sell their IPs to.
>>
>>85416020
He used to be mostly a nice guy when he wasn't drinking. I read the Kurt Busiek/Roger Stern run (good but for several reasons not great) and I was surprised what an all-around nice guy Tony Stark was back then.

I once heard Scott Lobdell boasting on some podcast that his Heroes Reborn Iron Man scripts were the first to really make him a jerk. Of course he would be proud of that.
>>
>>85410225
>Which is the next push Marvel will give up on as hopeless
Pretending that post-OMD Spider-man is anything less than a horrific nightmare?
claiming that Miles is popular instead of leeching of Spidey's popularity?
Pretending that Miles doesn't need a backstory giving him motication to become Spider-man in 616-8 despite being integrated into the universe instead of simply dimension-hopping?
>>
File: Spider-Man (2016-) 005-018.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man (2016-) 005-018.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>85415314
Here's a recent one.
Now I'll wait to say "butt it isn't fun because the mindhive told bendis is baaaaad" since none of us can define fun objectively
>>
File: Spider-Man (2016-) 002-012.jpg (3MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man (2016-) 002-012.jpg
3MB, 3975x3056px
>>85415314
Another one
>>
>>85417735
>>85417796
You're kidding, right?
>>
>>85417542
Busiek's Tony was too nice but honestly I think I would rather have that than whatever the fuck the character is now.
>>
>>85417861
As predicted.

Sorry it doesn't have COOL DINOSAURS or SENTAI REFERENCES or whatever you think it's fun. But the characters are entertaining as well as the stories. Bendis has a good handle on teen stuff.
>>
>>85417918
Anon, your first page doesn't even have a teen character on it.
>>
>>85414487
in what soon to be most forgettable character in 2017
>>
>>85416324
No, I agree that Civil War had a bad Tony. But it gives an opportunity for the writers to try to do good after his mistake. Tony and Pym are somewhat similar, but Pym just can't catch a break.
>>
File: 1339807701759.jpg (4KB, 126x113px) Image search: [Google]
1339807701759.jpg
4KB, 126x113px
>>85417941
It's the story and the implication of what Miles did. Jeez. Are you pretending to be retarded or something? Can't you understand narrative cues?
>>
>>85412086
Unlike those two franchises, Carol has nothing. She can only improve.
>>
>>85418011
>It's the story and the implication of what Miles did.

What Spider-man did, minus the personal touch?
All right
>>
>>85410281
Didn't Tony get mindwiped/died/whatever and had to get "restored" from a pre-Civil War copy of his mind?
>>
>>85418103
He did.
That was fucking dumb and such a cheap way to redeem the character instead of putting some effort, like that one time Daredevil was possessed by a demon.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.