[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when Galactus used to the big bad of the Marvel universe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1454515935703.jpg (72KB, 850x870px) Image search: [Google]
1454515935703.jpg
72KB, 850x870px
Remember when Galactus used to the big bad of the Marvel universe?

How do you feel about his spot being given to Thanos
>>
>>85252120
It'd be cool if writers knew how to use Thanos.
>>
>>85252120
Okay, I admit it.

I thought Apocalypse was the ultimate bad guy of Marvel for a good 20 years of my life. Shame on me.
>>
>>85252145
Marvel have been giving him 2/3 stories every year for a while now, trying to pad out his catalogue

Lot of writers
Lot of bad stories
>>
I never liked the idea that he wasn't really evil and was necessary for the universe, because it just felt like a lazy excuse to keep Richards from stopping him. It might as well be Thanos if they're not going to use Galactus properly.
>>
I actually like the more humanized/empathetic version of Galactus that's been shown in the past two decades or so than the traditional one.
>>
File: Galacta1.jpg (101KB, 600x1214px)
Galacta1.jpg
101KB, 600x1214px
Galactus isn't a bad guy, he's an existential threat, like a hurricane, or a giant meteor, or a supernova. You don't beat Galactus, you find a way to survive or convince him to leave you alone.
>>
>>85252120
Thanos technically is much more powerful since he always gets his hands on some high power gimmick that can do galaxy wide destruction.

Galactus is just one world at a time.
>>
>>85252192
Thanos isn't that powerful though and his existence isn't "special" like Galactus or Anti-Monitor

>>85252193
>muh SJWs
Grow the fuck up
>>
Wow! I feel like I ate a whole box of bran!
>>
When Galactus eats a planet that means he is also eating all the pee, poop, anuses, period blood, and sperm of the people on that planet.
>>
>>85252120

Eh, I feel better

Thanos jobbing each three-six months feels a lot different to Galactus jobbing every three-six months

Not like it matters because Ewing writes both Thanos and Galactus amazingly
>>
>>85252240
>sjws

he's right, faggot
>>
>>85252284
>he
nice try, newshit
>>
>>85252120
Dr. Doom is the big bad of the Marvel Universe. He's fought more superheroes than any other villain. The two things every Marvel hero could count on is a team-up with Spider-man and a fight against Doom (who usually ends up being a Doombot).

Galactus wasn't and has never been evil. He's a force of nature.
>>
>>85252206
I was just about to say, 'Remember when Galactus had a daughter?'
>>
>>85252304
>we

eat blow, goobwrit
>>
>>85252271
no he doesn't he sucks out all the life energy from the planet leaving it a lifeless husk. he eats energy not the physical matter of the planet
>>
>>85252120
That's what happens when your rights belong to fox.
>>
>>85252193
>putting an apostraphe into SJWs
Fuck you. Now I have to update my wordfilter to account for faggots with poor grammar.
>>
>>85252120

But that's objectively wrong: Galactus was never bad, he simply was just the greatest threat. In general, Galactus is more often than not a sympathetic character just doing what it takes to survive, and often times he's empathetic to other characters, so long as they don't get in his way. He also has a low tolerance for the general dickery of supervillains.

Personally I just want situations like Anhillation where you get a nice reminder that Galactus has probably the highest power level in the MU and is feared for a reason.
>>
>>85252310
Doom doesn't threaten the Earth though, he's a much smaller level threat
>>
>>85252310

huh, you seem to forget that there was a time where you had a guaranteed fight with Galactus the moment you got a series
>>
>>85252354
Doom quite literally blew up the entire multiverse last year. That right there puts even IG Thanos to shame.
>>
>>85252346

the "Galactus is a force of nature" angle is something that was better appreciated until a few years ago

Before that you had multiple people and writers thinking of Galactus like a purple bad guy that was very powerful
>>
>>85252374
Exactly, it's a recent thing

Now that Galactus has been shafted
Doom and Thanos are getting pushed
>>
File: p1_29.jpg (720KB, 1600x1230px) Image search: [Google]
p1_29.jpg
720KB, 1600x1230px
>>85252346
>Situations like Annihilation
>Reminder of how powerful he is
>Pic related, needed to be bailed out by Surfer
>How powerful
??????
>>
>>85252120
How do I feel about allowing other characters to take a mantle in order to add interest and variety to stories rather than keep nothing but status quo for decades on end? Uh... fine?
>>
>>85252474
You know what Anon means, dont be a twit.
>>
>>85252193
It's all a matter of scale. Most of the time, Doom is a planetary threat, typically because he wants to conquer Earth before moving outwards.
Thanos is frequently characterized as Doom in space. That's why you rarely find writers that can write Doom AND Thanos well, and have them both he distinct without one jobbing (See Starlin's Doom or Hickman's Thanos).
On the flip side, we've got the Kingpin, who, at least in the street level, is typically the biggest threat.

Galactus, when characterized well, is motivated solely by his desire to not die, and not out of any real malice. Hence the whole "force of nature" interpretation. One of my personal favorite Galactus bits was in DnA's Nova, where we never saw all of Galactus on one panel, and he never speaks, with the Surfer acting as his mouthpiece. It really sells the whole "when comes Galactus, it's an act of God" feeling.
>>
>>85252422
In the original Secret Wars, Doom was the endgame villain, not Galactus, and that was 30 years ago.
>>
Remember how excited /co/ was about Galactus eating ultimate earth, and how disappointed everyone was with the end?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.